Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
idiothek

New

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by idiothek » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:26 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:LARW class sections are up.
Speaking of which, it says Legal Writing is Credit/No Credit in ACES. Is that right?

Edit:
The syllabus says it's graded. My section only has 25% of the course grade coming from assignments in the Fall, though.
holy crap dfw ftw

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Speaking of which, it says Legal Writing is Credit/No Credit in ACES. Is that right?

Edit:
The syllabus says it's graded. My section only has 25% of the course grade coming from assignments in the Fall, though.
Where are you finding the syllabus at? My blackboard is still empty.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Bosque wrote:
someones alt wrote:Managed to order all of my required books for the core classes and LRW for a little over $400 including shipping, who can beat me?

Also, sent you a PM Jeric that may interest you.
Ugh, crap. Books.
I am a little behind (at least other TLS'ers), how do we know which books we need?

Also, I just moved into Alexan South Square so if anyone is around here then PM me.

One more thing, I am also in section 2.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
quakeroats wrote:

Edit:
Where are you finding the syllabus at? My blackboard is still empty.
Legal Writing is the only class showing up there. I'm going to guess that they'll be added as soon as they're ready.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 pm

someones alt wrote:Managed to order all of my required books for the core classes and LRW for a little over $400 including shipping, who can beat me?

$337.35 (some used, some new), and that includes one supplement for each class except LARW. Gotta save money for booze

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:56 pm

poprox wrote:

$337.35 (some used, some new), and that includes one supplement for each class except LARW. Gotta save money for booze
Please share your secret skills.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 pm

pelmen74 wrote:
poprox wrote:

It's pretty simple, if you are thrifty as possible on semi-essentials (like books, for example), you'll have more cash leftover for absolute essentials like bourbon.

http://www.boozehoundapp.com/
http://www.bookfinder.com

pelmen74

Bronze

Post by pelmen74 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm

poprox wrote:
pelmen74 wrote:
poprox wrote:

It's pretty simple, if you are thrifty as possible on semi-essentials (like books, for example), you'll have more cash leftover for absolute essentials like bourbon.

http://www.boozehoundapp.com/
http://www.bookfinder.com
Cheap books, expensive whisky... I like how you roll.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:28 am

Jericwithers wrote:Not sure what yall drink, but the Super Target @ Westgate (by MLK) has Coors Light 12 packs for $4.80.
thanks. just bought 10.

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:54 am

Can any of the law students here comment on the relative merits of buying used vs renting textbooks? Does the typical law student want to sell his/her books immediately after the semester is over anyway, and is it hard to get a decent price for them?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:01 am

fwaam wrote:Can any of the law students here comment on the relative merits of buying used vs renting textbooks? Does the typical law student want to sell his/her books immediately after the semester is over anyway, and is it hard to get a decent price for them?
Ask V8. He borrowed my Conlaw book for a semester, so I bet he can tell you what it is like to read a case that has already been highlighted by someone else (although I am pretty light with the highlighting.).

Me, I like to keep my textbooks. Yes, it makes no economic sense and I should be selling them. But I know myself, and I am going to appreciate having kept them when I can pull one out when I am 50 and wax nostalgic. Most students are not crazy like me, and sell them as soon as they can.

Some of my books I bought were used and a decent price (online). So long as the book is not too marked up, you should be good. If possible, look at the book before you buy it.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:09 am

Flanker1067 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Ugh, crap. Books.
I am a little behind (at least other TLS'ers), how do we know which books we need?

Also, I just moved into Alexan South Square so if anyone is around here then PM me.

Yo Flanker, I'm also going to be living at Alexan and I'm a fellow section 2er. 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:29 am

Bosque wrote:
fwaam wrote:Can any of the law students here comment on the relative merits of buying used vs renting textbooks? Does the typical law student want to sell his/her books immediately after the semester is over anyway, and is it hard to get a decent price for them?
Ask V8. He borrowed my Conlaw book for a semester, so I bet he can tell you what it is like to read a case that has already been highlighted by someone else (although I am pretty light with the highlighting.).

Me, I like to keep my textbooks. Yes, it makes no economic sense and I should be selling them. But I know myself, and I am going to appreciate having kept them when I can pull one out when I am 50 and wax nostalgic. Most students are not crazy like me, and sell them as soon as they can.

Some of my books I bought were used and a decent price (online). So long as the book is not too marked up, you should be good. If possible, look at the book before you buy it.
My commentary on the issue can be summarized by the above underlined text. But frankly, for an extra 50 bucks in my pocket, I'll deal with some decently heavy notes. Plus, sometimes the notes are interesting.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:07 am

Good deal on used books gets you Woodford Reserve.

All new books gets you Evan Wiliams Green Label. Last time I drank that I was a freshman and went all Bluto on it at a frat party.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:31 am

los blancos wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Ugh, crap. Books.

Yo Flanker, I'm also going to be living at Alexan and I'm a fellow section 2er. 8)
Cool, when do you get here?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm

Are we just going to let the Cornell thread pass us up in page count? There has to be some sort of inane banter that can increase our count.

What is the best hole-in-the-wall restaurant establishment that you have found in the area so far? Philly Steak @ New Hope Commons (Mt. Moriah Road) has to be the BEST philly cheese steak I have ever had in my life (the onion rings are great too). Anyone else? I want to try Neo-China restaurant @ MLK but the prices are a bit high.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Elmo's Diner on 9th St. near campus is pretty darn good. There's a Jason's Deli in New Hope Commons that I ate at probably three times in my first two days here. Jason's is consistently top notch and a value for what you get.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Are we just going to let the Cornell thread pass us up in page count? There has to be some sort of inane banter that can increase our count.

What is the best hole-in-the-wall restaurant establishment that you have found in the area so far? Philly Steak @ New Hope Commons (Mt. Moriah Road) has to be the BEST philly cheese steak I have ever had in my life (the onion rings are great too). Anyone else? I want to try Neo-China restaurant @ MLK but the prices are a bit high.
Yeah Philly Steak is surprisingly good huh? Here's a couple I like off the top of my head, in no particular order other than alphabetical: Allen & Son, Bullock's BBQ, Carrburritos, Elmo's, The Federal, Joe Van Gogh, Mad Hatter, Parker and Otis, Saladelia, Thai Cafe, Twisted Noodles, that bar at the Washington Duke, Watts' Grocery. There are a few others, but my memory apparently stinks.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:Are we just going to let the Cornell thread pass us up in page count? There has to be some sort of inane banter that can increase our count.

Neo-China is good. Yes, it is a bit pricey for what you would expect for Chinese. But you get a LOT of food, and you are getting a free reusable tupperware with the meal.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:15 pm

What I've found so far:

Best coffee: Caffe Driade
Best beer and wine selection: Total Wine
Best Mexican: Taqueria La Vaquita

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:18 pm

quakeroats wrote:What I've found so far:

Total Wine is definitely awesome, but Sam's Quik Shop on Erwin road has a ridiculous selection of craft and import beer.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:
Cool, when do you get here?
Friday. Looking forward to it. Even the 13 hour drive down. :mrgreen:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 pm

Mexican is what I have been looking for since I got here (Toreros @ Garrett Rd. is lackluster, but the chorizo con juevos is tasty). Definitely will be trying that place soon. Total Wine has been on my list right after Neo-China, and I did try Jason's Deli today (delicious). v8 has enough recommendations to keep anyone busy for a month lol. We should try a TLS meetup @ The Federalist since I remember someone here mentioning that place once before.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Best liquor prices and selection: South Carolina
Best Mexican: Taqueria Mi Pueblo (Vaquita is legit, but they lack carne de cabeza, mi favorito, esp. cachete)

Durham is food heaven.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”