Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

franklinlincoln wrote:I'm in.

This is pretty cool. I grew up as the NY-area Irish Catholic ND fan with a love affair with Duke. Somehow, I managed the exacta.

Time to go to Belmont with this luck.
Great job, see you in the fall!

nbaguy

New

Post by nbaguy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Last edited by nbaguy on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 pm

nbaguy wrote:When is the deadline for accepting scholarships?
Same day as the deposit deadline I think: April 30th.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:56 am

thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:ugh. Nothing pisses me off more that the opponent chomping. Especially the Auburn kicker. I think it says something about the quality of our program, however.
The Auburn thing was funny, but I think that kid did it because he was from central Florida and caught a lot of crap from folks down there. Chomps are annoying coming from gators, too, but nothing can touch the god-awfulness that is the Mississippi State cowbell.
Or a "TAAHHH-GAAAHHH BAIT!" from an LSU fan.

thecubiclelife

New

Post by thecubiclelife » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:37 pm

I finally committed. Anyone want a roommate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:39 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:I finally committed. Anyone want a roommate?
For 2011-2012? Sure.

thecubiclelife

New

Post by thecubiclelife » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
For 2011-2012? Sure.
LOL jeez people are already booked I see.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:47 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
For 2011-2012? Sure.
Lol no haha. I just think a roommate might interfere with my 1L study dungeon. Try the facebook group as well as this thread.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 pm

Hello all. I have been reading this thread since the beginning but only today decided to post because I have finally heard back from every school I applied to. I have already submitted to Duke, so barring any crazy waitlist activity I will be there (admittedly, there are one or two schools I would go to over Duke for personal reasons). I appreciate everyone who made comments and gave insight in ASW because I didn't make it, but all your reviews reassured me that this is a really good choice.

So who is down for sports? Being from the northeast, I am excited about the weather situation and I play pretty much everything (although I am not good at everything).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thecubiclelife

New

Post by thecubiclelife » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:07 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thecubiclelife wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
For 2011-2012? Sure.
Lol no haha. I just think a roommate might interfere with my 1L study dungeon. Try the facebook group as well as this thread.
...a.k.a. a cubicle?

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Over-nighted my deposit today. I'll be on pins and needles until I get the confirmation e-mail (from UPS) tomorrow morning...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm

insidethetwenty wrote:Over-nighted my deposit today. I'll be on pins and needles until I get the confirmation e-mail (from UPS) tomorrow morning...
Oh boy that is stressful. Good luck!

No I will not be in a cubicle! A cubicle is more of my current efficiency apartment. At Duke I will have a whole separate living room and bedroom!

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:43 pm

Flanker1067 wrote:Hello all. I have been reading this thread since the beginning but only today decided to post because I have finally heard back from every school I applied to. I have already submitted to Duke, so barring any crazy waitlist activity I will be there (admittedly, there are one or two schools I would go to over Duke for personal reasons). I appreciate everyone who made comments and gave insight in ASW because I didn't make it, but all your reviews reassured me that this is a really good choice.

So who is down for sports? Being from the northeast, I am excited about the weather situation and I play pretty much everything (although I am not good at everything).
Welcome to the six-person convo! Always exciting to see more voices pop in. :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
insidethetwenty wrote:Over-nighted my deposit today. I'll be on pins and needles until I get the confirmation e-mail (from UPS) tomorrow morning...

No I will not be in a cubicle! A cubicle is more of my current efficiency apartment. At Duke I will have a whole separate living room and bedroom!
I had to hold back tears on the housing tour. The space was overwhelming compared to the expensive box I had in L.A.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:52 pm

rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I had to hold back tears on the housing tour. The space was overwhelming compared to the expensive box I had in L.A.
And I'm sure you were trying to hold back different kind of tears once you saw the night-life scene in Durham lol.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:28 am

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

And I'm sure you were trying to hold back different kind of tears once you saw the night-life scene in Durham lol.
Club Library looked fairly legit, actually. No cover, too, which will be great when I'm there every night.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:00 am

Jericwithers wrote:
rotflawl wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Is it really bad? I mean, I'm not that picky, if they serve booze it's a good place to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 am

Flanker1067 wrote:Is it really bad? I mean, I'm not that picky, if they serve booze it's a good place to me.
Na its not that bad. I hear Chapel Hill is pretty fun.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:Is it really bad? I mean, I'm not that picky, if they serve booze it's a good place to me.
It's not bad. Obviously it's not a big city atmosphere but we've got more than enough good bars in Durham, a full-on college town in Chapel Hill, and enough random things to do (Durham Bulls, Duke sports, bowling league, softball league, clubs, gym, golf, movies etc.) to keep any law student busy.

By the way, our 1L year is over next week which makes you all the new 1L's (in my book) - Congrats again!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:28 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
It's not bad. Obviously it's not a big city atmosphere but we've got more than enough good bars in Durham, a full-on college town in Chapel Hill, and enough random things to do (Durham Bulls, Duke sports, bowling league, softball league, clubs, gym, golf, movies etc.) to keep any law student busy.

By the way, our 1L year is over next week which makes you all the new 1L's (in my book) - Congrats again!
Congrats to making it to 2L! You have become our source of all information OCI.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:30 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

Congrats to making it to 2L! You have become our source of all information OCI.
Hahaha...a dubious honor, indeed.

I'll take questions when the time comes then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:47 pm

Finally made my final decision. Looking forward to meeting you all. I don't know anyone in the area (I've never lived anywhere near the SE US before), so happy to meet people here. I've been living in Los Angeles for several years, and I'm in Sacto until August.

Also, I'm looking for a roommate to make one of the nicer complexes affordable (I looked at West Village and it was crazy nice, Woodstone sounds nice as well).

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Woodstone and West Village are definitely polar opposites. WV will put you in the downtown-ish area, whereas Woodstone is pseudo-rural. Woodstone would be closer to west campus, I think. Anyways, glad to have you here!

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:55 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Woodstone and West Village are definitely polar opposites. WV will put you in the downtown-ish area, whereas Woodstone is pseudo-rural. Woodstone would be closer to west campus, I think. Anyways, glad to have you here!
West Village is the one I saw, and I liked the apartments themselves and the location. From my perspective (coming from LA) it was a pretty amazing complex for the price. All I know about Woodstone is that it's rated pretty highly in this "2009 apartment report" I found online, and I like that it's near some trails. Have you been to both?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:11 pm

Reedie wrote:Finally made my final decision. Looking forward to meeting you all. I don't know anyone in the area (I've never lived anywhere near the SE US before), so happy to meet people here. I've been living in Los Angeles for several years, and I'm in Sacto until August.

Also, I'm looking for a roommate to make one of the nicer complexes affordable (I looked at West Village and it was crazy nice, Woodstone sounds nice as well).
No clue about either of those complexes, but if the units are nice I doubt you can go wrong. If you are looking for nice I hear the lofts at whatever (that baller place west of the school and within walking distance) is suuuper nice. They also only rent to people 21 and over so no undergrads to mess with.

thecubiclelife (posted earlier this page) is looking for a roommate, and I think Duke has a roommate list you can put yourself on too. Good luck

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”