Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
paralegal

Bronze

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by paralegal » Sun May 09, 2010 1:24 pm

Having just finished your (1L?) at Duke Law, can you discuss your experiences. Are you glad that you chose Duke? How did your exams go? What are your summer employment plans? Thanks for your time and answers. I appreciate it!

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 09, 2010 1:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
ObviouslyMasochistic wrote:Just wanted to offer to answer any questions you all might have. I'm currently sitting in the Duke Law Library banging out a casenote before I head off for my summer job next week, so distractions are welcome!
I'd be interested in hearing about the details of your summer employment. Who, what, when, where, why, and how?
Sure. I'm working at a firm over the summer. I met with a law firm partner at a session put on by the school to help us prepare for on-campus interviews. Later (like January), I sent the partner my resume, cover letter, unofficial transcript, etc. I ended up with the summer job about a week later. It's an 8 week program which means I'll have a few weeks at the end of it to relax and gear up for 2L year and OCI.

My story is probably atypical for what most 1Ls can expect, especially ITE. I assume that what really helped me is my engineering background (doing dual degree MS work right now as well)/work experience.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Sun May 09, 2010 2:30 pm

Masochistic--

How was the atmosphere during exam time? Duke really sold me on its collegial environment, so I was interested in the feeling during the more stressful periods.

Do you have a feel for how the other 1Ls have faired for summer employment?

Did you get involved in any activities 1L year? Would you suggest doing so? I get restless when I don't have extracurricular activities, but I wouldn't risk grades for anything too intense . . .

Okay, thank you in advance for answering! Good luck on the journal comp.!

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 09, 2010 2:45 pm

paralegal wrote:Having just finished your (1L?) at Duke Law, can you discuss your experiences. Are you glad that you chose Duke? How did your exams go? What are your summer employment plans? Thanks for your time and answers. I appreciate it!
Indeed, I am a lowly 1L (but rising 2L!). I wasn't expecting it, but I thoroughly enjoyed my 1L year. I made some great friends and learned some interesting things. I found that you can make time for both work and play. During Fall and Spring semesters, I was able to keep up a pretty busy social life and participate in some sort of group athletic event at least weekly while keeping up with the work load. Summer semester, on the hand, was a bit of a different story. Because you're cramming two semester-long classes into a few weeks, the work load is obviously much higher.

I am thrilled that I chose Duke. I got into some other good schools (think link to LSN might still be in my profile) and don't regret my decision at all. I plan to stay in the South after I graduate, definitely no further north than DC, and Duke is fantastically positioned for this region. That said, Duke is also fantastic for NY, Boston, etc. I think this is due, in large part, to the small class size. There are a handful that want Atlanta, some who want DC, some who want NYC, so there is rarely any competition between Duke students for jobs. Durham is actually pretty nice, and Raleigh is a nice change of pace sometimes.

Exams this past semester were...interesting. I started studying in earnest for them around the first week in April and steadily ramped up my efforts as the exams got closer. I think I spent a good 8 hours a day in the library for a week or two straight at one point. Anyway, good news is that grades don't come out until June 15th, so I'm not going to worry about them until then!

someones alt

Bronze

Post by someones alt » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Duke refused to post my extra comments on the housing list. Sigh. I guess I need to start earnestly attempting to find a roommate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Sun May 09, 2010 3:03 pm

Masochistic-

Thanks for your comments - all great! I checked your profile on LSN (it's still there), and wow...you're right, you did get into some great law schools....and chose Duke!!!!

Congrats on your summer employment!

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 09, 2010 3:29 pm

rotflawl wrote: How was the atmosphere during exam time? Duke really sold me on its collegial environment, so I was interested in the feeling during the more stressful periods.
Everything you've heard about the collegial environment is true. One of my good friends' hard drive died two weeks before finals. Class notes *poof* gone. Within a day, I think he had 3 or 4 entire sets of notes, maybe even some outlines.
Some people handle the stress of exams better than others, but everyone is still helpful and willing to talk out fact pattern scenarios.
rotflawl wrote: Do you have a feel for how the other 1Ls have faired for summer employment?
It's a bit hard for me to gauge how everyone did. I'm mostly friends with summer starters, so I usually discuss job stuff with them. Half of the summer starters are JD/LLM students. I think that most of them have firm jobs in Japan or China or somewhere exotic like that. As for the 25ish people I know well, 2 or 3 have USAO gigs, a couple have firm gigs, while the majority are working for other government agencies or non-profits around the country. I'll put it this way, I haven't talked to anyone about their summer job and thought to myself, "Wow, that sounds like a terrible job that employers will turn their noses up at during OCI." Everyone seems to have something in a field they are interested in and is happy with where they'll be spending their summer.
rotflawl wrote: Did you get involved in any activities 1L year? Would you suggest doing so? I get restless when I don't have extracurricular activities, but I wouldn't risk grades for anything too intense . . .
I got involved with a couple of things like DBA and some service activities. Believe me, there is not a lack of extracurricular activities available. I think the smart move is to pick out 2 or 3 that you feel strongly about and do them during your first year. I know some people who got heavily involved in the Innocence Project and loved the work they got to do. Sometimes you need a change of pace from the library. Also, they're great to talk about during interviews. I think I've talked more about the Duke Law Bowling League in my interviews than anything else on my resume! (Side note: all you rising-1Ls best bring your bowling A-games! Ok, not really, it's just an excuse to drink beer and bowl during the week.)

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Sun May 09, 2010 3:43 pm

paralegal wrote:Masochistic-

Thanks for your comments - all great! I checked your profile on LSN (it's still there), and wow...you're right, you did get into some great law schools....and chose Duke!!!!

Congrats on your summer employment!
Thanks, paralegal! I remember being an 0L and having tons of questions, so fire away if you think of anything else.

Simile

New

Post by Simile » Mon May 10, 2010 12:21 pm

As a 2L, I would like to make a quick comment to the incoming class about apartments available in the Durham area. There seem to be a few apartments that are are vastly overrated in terms of price, quality, and convenience. In particular, I am going to point out Pinnacle Ridge. I would NOT recommend that you stay there, despite the constant recommendations of the place I was given as a 1L. The buildings are overpriced for their age, they force you to take 12 month leases, and the main manager is a vulture and unresponsive to problems. The fact that Pinnacle has such a high rating on the apartmentratings website makes me wonder if the manager creates fake accounts to post positive ratings. This could be, given that the google ratings of the place are more negative.

Places that are fine (a bit on the pricier end): Alexan Place, Addington Farms, Evergreens, Colonial Village at Deerfield. Good place (single) on a budget: The Forest. I would also not recommend anyone to stay at the Lofts at Lakview unless they are rich and have money to blow.

Ideally, the best option if you're price conscious and not too picky about staying alone is to find a 2B 2B double.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:38 pm

My SO and I have been looking at Pinnacle Ridge and have had nothing but good experiences so far. Management have been fair-minded, quick to respond, and extremely helpful. Went and saw a 3rd floor, forest view, vaulted ceiling apartment and despite its slight age (you can choose to pay for upgrades if you like) it was really great. The amenities are pretty good too (year-round heated pool, 24-7 fitness center, 24/7 maintenance, free parking, etc.)

I am guessing personal preference plays a large role in why the 2L thinks their overrated. I am leaving Washington D.C. where we live in a 500 square foot single bedroom basement apartment (1/2 the size of the one we are looking to get @ Pinnacle Ridge) and pay 1300/mo (like 400+ per month more than Pinnacle Ridge). So maybe my expectations are a bit different. But then again, we visited four other apartment complexes in the area to see what the competition was like, including some of those that the 2L listed, but remained most impressed with Pinnacle Ridge.

Maybe I just havn't met the vulture yet? lol.

Best thing is to probably get on the ball and start apartment hunting right now if you havn't yet. The facebook group has a roommate wanted/available section for those of you who are interested.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Yeah I'm a fan of Pinnacle for price/space. It's not gonna blow your socks off, but the price is right and they aren't bad.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon May 10, 2010 4:49 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Yeah I'm a fan of Pinnacle for price/space. It's not gonna blow your socks off, but the price is right and they aren't bad.
How big of a plus was it to to be so close to other law school students, or was it perhaps too much of a good thing?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue May 11, 2010 12:59 am

Jericwithers wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:Yeah I'm a fan of Pinnacle for price/space. It's not gonna blow your socks off, but the price is right and they aren't bad.
How big of a plus was it to to be so close to other law school students, or was it perhaps too much of a good thing?

This is my question...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue May 11, 2010 8:40 am

Any other gunners want to carpool with me? I'm about to get a new car, it'll be one of the following:

lalablondie28

New

Post by lalablondie28 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi guys! I guess I should officially join this thread since I will be at Duke next year. I have a few questions about pinnacle ridge apartments (or apartments in Durham in general)- do any of you know what utilities usually cost per month? What kind of ISP is around/ best in the area? I'm wading through applications and apartment paperwork and want to have a good idea of my expenses.

Thanks! I'm getting excited for August!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue May 11, 2010 12:51 pm

lalablondie28 wrote:Hi guys! I guess I should officially join this thread since I will be at Duke next year. I have a few questions about pinnacle ridge apartments (or apartments in Durham in general)- do any of you know what utilities usually cost per month? What kind of ISP is around/ best in the area? I'm wading through applications and apartment paperwork and want to have a good idea of my expenses.

Thanks! I'm getting excited for August!
They have Time Warner so that would probably be your best internet choice, and as far as electricity goes I think it is $9 base charge plus $0.086 per kWh (total costs depends on your usage). Water and trash will probably run you about $20 for a single apartment, and no more than $35 for a shared 2bd.

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Tue May 11, 2010 1:11 pm

speaking of gunners......sorry if this question appears to have those qualities.....

masochistic or any other "rising" 2L or 3L Duke Law students -

I read on another TLS thread that a 3L Columbia Law student strongly recommended taking a law school exam prep class (Leews). Said students who took those classes have an advantage walking into 1L having already practiced and prepared for law school exam formats. Class doesn't require too much time - held on a weekend during fall semester.

He said it took him all of 1L to figure out how to excel on law school exams. Some of his peers bombed 1st semester exams, then took class and 2nd semester did really well.

Any current Duke Law students heard about this or even better has anyone taken this class?

Thanks for your comments....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue May 11, 2010 2:30 pm

paralegal wrote:speaking of gunners......sorry if this question appears to have those qualities.....

I read on another TLS thread that a 3L Columbia Law student strongly recommended taking a law school exam prep class (Leews). Said students who took those classes have an advantage walking into 1L having already practiced and prepared for law school exam formats. Class doesn't require too much time - held on a weekend during fall semester.

He said it took him all of 1L to figure out how to excel on law school exams. Some of his peers bombed 1st semester exams, then took class and 2nd semester did really well.

Any current Duke Law students heard about this or even better has anyone taken this class?

I would like to add to that line of questioning if anyone knows if there is a benefit to reading "Getting to Maybe" or any other good books to prep over this summer.

thewordisjust

New

Post by thewordisjust » Tue May 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
paralegal wrote:speaking of gunners......sorry if this question appears to have those qualities.....

I would like to add to that line of questioning if anyone knows if there is a benefit to reading "Getting to Maybe" or any other good books to prep over this summer.
I will be starting this summer, so I purchased the Leews audio program off of ebay. It is about 8 hours of audio with a primer and I think that it helped with a lot of my preconceived notions of what law school exams were and were not as well as giving some useful study tips. So even though I haven't taken a law school exam yet, I would say it was definitely worth the money I spent on it.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue May 11, 2010 3:53 pm

thewordisjust wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

I will be starting this summer, so I purchased the Leews audio program off of ebay. It is about 8 hours of audio with a primer and I think that it helped with a lot of my preconceived notions of what law school exams were and were not as well as giving some useful study tips. So even though I haven't taken a law school exam yet, I would say it was definitely worth the money I spent on it.
Thanks, and let us know if it worked after you take your first exam lol.

ObviouslyMasochistic

New

Post by ObviouslyMasochistic » Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I have no experience with it, but I don't think LEEWS is necessary or even helpful. Read Getting to Maybe (which can basically be summarized: "Argue both sides of every issue!"). Listen to your professor and get a feel for how they want you to answer exam questions. I have a packet of sample exams and sample answers from my Civ Pro class; I think reading over those taught me about as much as attending class and taught me more than I needed to know about how the prof wanted us to answer the questions.

So, my advice--skim Getting to Maybe, relax, and rest up for the marathon ahead. And when you get here, figure out what your specific profs want to hear.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paralegal

Bronze

Post by paralegal » Tue May 11, 2010 5:48 pm

masochistic -

thanks for reponding - it's always reassuring knowing that you might be lurking about the Duke Class of 2013 thread, answering "rising" 1L (OMG!!!) questions.

I'll take your advice, "try" to relax....skim "Getting to Maybe"....and rest up for the marathon ahead.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue May 11, 2010 5:49 pm

paralegal wrote:masochistic -

thanks for reponding - it's always reassuring knowing that you might be lurking about the Duke Class of 2013 thread, answering "rising" 1L (OMG!!!) questions.

I'll take your advice, "try" to relax....skim "Getting to Maybe"....and rest up for the marathon ahead.
(Perfect, now I can read/attend LEEWS and outgun you! bawahaha)

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue May 11, 2010 6:47 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

This is my question...
I liked it, but that's also because I like my classmates (we hang out and stuff) and needed to bum rides due to my lack of a car for a semester.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Wed May 12, 2010 4:43 pm

Can't believe I missed the gunner showdown.

*Is taking a prep course*

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”