Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
los blancos

Platinum

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Jericwithers wrote: How does it stack up to Virginia's new LRAP?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:31 pm

los blancos wrote:
I was hoping you would be the one to figure that out. D'oh. I posted in a thread that had the info on Virginia so let me find it.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
I was hoping you would be the one to figure that out. D'oh. I posted in a thread that had the info on Virginia so let me find it.
:mrgreen:

I actually know next to nothing about LRAP because my parents offered to foot the law school bill, but this has me re-thinking taking out loans. If I end up going the DOJ route straight out of school, LRAP will cover a lot of the loan repayment.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
:mrgreen:

I actually know next to nothing about LRAP because my parents offered to foot the law school bill, but this has me re-thinking taking out loans. If I end up going the DOJ route straight out of school, LRAP will cover a lot of the loan repayment.
DOJ doesn't pay more than $75k? Well there goes one of my career choices.

UVA is the same exact program except it only covers all payments for those earning less than $55k, but it scales up to $75k like Duke. It also only applies to class of 2013 and later, while Duke is retroactive (not like it makes a difference to us).

I had the greedy idea of taking out every loan dollar they give me instead of trying to budget myself and then going into IBR/LRAP to get it all without paying a penny in payments. Very dishonest though, and big firm job would still net more money.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Jericwithers wrote:DOJ doesn't pay more than $75k? Well there goes one of my career choices.

UVA is the same exact program except it only covers all payments for those earning less than $55k, but it scales up to $75k like Duke. It also only applies to class of 2013 and later, while Duke is retroactive (not like it makes a difference to us).

I had the greedy idea of taking out every loan dollar they give me instead of trying to budget myself and then going into IBR/LRAP to get it all without paying a penny in payments. Very dishonest though, and big firm job would still net more money.
Not at the entry level, it's closer to like $55-$60k but depends on the locality. That said, it looks to me like it picks up rather quickly and they pay people with experience pretty well (but still less than a first-year biglaw associate). I'm still wondering if BigLaw -> DOJ is a common career track, because that's probably what I'd want to do ideally.

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/hp/hpsalary.htm

Nice, so we have UVa matched for LRAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:DOJ doesn't pay more than $75k? Well there goes one of my career choices.

Not at the entry level, it's closer to like $55-$60k but depends on the locality. That said, it looks to me like it picks up rather quickly and they pay people with experience pretty well (but still less than a first-year biglaw associate). I'm still wondering if BigLaw -> DOJ is a common career track, because that's probably what I'd want to do ideally.

http://www.justice.gov/oarm/arm/hp/hpsalary.htm

Nice, so we have UVa matched for LRAP.
So depending on how fast you move up the GS you could get your loans paid off completely for the first year and then partly for the next couple of years. I wouldn't mind a fed job if my loans are reduced for the first couple of years and then after that I am making around $100k. The more I think about it the more I would like to go straight into fed work, but biglaw money is just too tempting. Hopefully I can find a nice balance between paycheck for the soul and for the yacht (aka lose the soul over the next 3 years :twisted: )

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:11 am

Withdrew this morning. Have fun in Durham ladies and gents. You made an awesome choice!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:07 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:Withdrew this morning. Have fun in Durham ladies and gents. You made an awesome choice!
2 year NU program for you? Good luck! Network and get me a job since you'll be in the workforce a year earlier.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:45 pm

Status checker shows enrollment deposit received. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:06 pm

los blancos wrote:Status checker shows enrollment deposit received. :D
Wow thanks for saying that; you made me check my status checker for the first time in months and I realized my address is incorrect. Thanks so much!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Status checker shows enrollment deposit received. :D
Wow thanks for saying that; you made me check my status checker for the first time in months and I realized my address is incorrect. Thanks so much!
They entered my address wrong from the form I sent in, so everyone should be aware to check their status checker and see if the address is correct.

Does the lawid and email address come through snail mail or email?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:27 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:I got the Net ID in the mail today.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:31 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:I got the Net ID in the mail today.
Like I can be bothered to read over past posts, even though I think you posted that because I had asked the question already lol.

I am just mad that I won't get my duke email address in time to use it to impress people in my classes. Cmon Duke, I really needed that :?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 pm

Duke's new LRAP visualized:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:37 pm

And this bud's for you, DallasCowboy:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:43 pm

thickfreakness wrote:And this bud's for you, DallasCowboy:

[/img]
#8 on the right there has no idea what that other guy is doing. Look at what he does with his hands in response.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:

[/img]
#8 on the right there has no idea what that other guy is doing. Look at what he does with his hands in response.

He's acting like he's tying the gator's mouth shut, hence the joke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Oh and here's one for your jericwithers:

Ok I'll quit image spamming this thread now.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:56 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:

[/img]

He's acting like he's tying the gator's mouth shut, hence the joke.
Lol he clearly is not. He tries to gently hold the other guy's hand, but failing to do that because the other guy is flailing his arms around he starts to imitate him.

I find your image funny, but that play still haunts my dreams. Sigh....you made my enemies list quite early.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

ugh. Nothing pisses me off more that the opponent chomping. Especially the Auburn kicker. I think it says something about the quality of our program, however.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:ugh. Nothing pisses me off more that the opponent chomping. Especially the Auburn kicker. I think it says something about the quality of our program, however.
The Auburn thing was funny, but I think that kid did it because he was from central Florida and caught a lot of crap from folks down there. Chomps are annoying coming from gators, too, but nothing can touch the god-awfulness that is the Mississippi State cowbell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
DallasCowboy wrote:ugh. Nothing pisses me off more that the opponent chomping. Especially the Auburn kicker. I think it says something about the quality of our program, however.
The Auburn thing was funny, but I think that kid did it because he was from central Florida and caught a lot of crap from folks down there. Chomps are annoying coming from gators, too, but nothing can touch the god-awfulness that is the Mississippi State cowbell.
Everyone loves a good hook'em though :D
--ImageRemoved--

This picture was taken in NC too.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
--ImageRemoved--

Looks like he's making a little hand-wolf thing there.

franklinlincoln

New

Post by franklinlincoln » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:10 pm

I'm in.

This is pretty cool. I grew up as the NY-area Irish Catholic ND fan with a love affair with Duke. Somehow, I managed the exacta.

Time to go to Belmont with this luck.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:11 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
thickfreakness wrote:
[imgObamahookem[/img]

Looks like he's making a little hand-wolf thing there.
I imagine that Obama has a very soft/weak handshake.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”