Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:25 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Picked up some stuff on campus today, bummed around Chapel Hill a little bit, and then had dinner at Tyler's Taproom in the American Tobacco District near downtown, which was quite awesome. Leaving town tomorrow morning but it's been a great trip. Found a nice townhouse to live in close to campus.
Congrats on the townhouse, and good luck with the mind-numbingly long drive. Did ya get any Duke gear?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:08 pm

sending my deposit in tomorrow. probably going to opt for 2-day 8)

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:48 pm

thickfreakness wrote:Picked up some stuff on campus today, bummed around Chapel Hill a little bit, and then had dinner at Tyler's Taproom in the American Tobacco District near downtown, which was quite awesome. Leaving town tomorrow morning but it's been a great trip. Found a nice townhouse to live in close to campus.
Congrats on the t-house! Securing housing must be a relief.

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:50 pm

los blancos wrote:sending my deposit in tomorrow. probably going to opt for 2-day 8)
Congrats on taking the $500 leap.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Congrats on the townhouse, and good luck with the mind-numbingly long drive. Did ya get any Duke gear?
I got some stuff for the family, but only got myself a sticker for my car and a T-shirt. Most of the stuff was pretty well picked over since they won the national title, I guess. I'll probably look for a few other things when I move to Durham in July.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:22 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I got some stuff for the family, but only got myself a sticker for my car and a T-shirt. Most of the stuff was pretty well picked over since they won the national title, I guess. I'll probably look for a few other things when I move to Durham in July.
Yes the law shirts are the best, I look like a total douche walking around on campus with it on. I find it odd that the law shirts do not come in actual 'blue devil' blue. The two colors they come in are both really off, but I'm not complaining since any shade of blue is good. You think they would standardize the shade of blue for all their merchandise though.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:33 am

Hey, for accepting scholarships, did you guys just take the award letter itself and sign the bottom?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:50 am

and the contract

rotflawl

New

Post by rotflawl » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 am

DallasCowboy wrote:and the contract
HA. Whoops. It's my attention to detail that I will need to hone the most this summer...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

worldwithoutend

New

Post by worldwithoutend » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Members of the class of 2013, I am one of you now.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Deposit sent today. Should get to Durham on Wednesday at the latest. I still probably won't know for sure where I'm going to school until August. :roll: :mrgreen:

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:47 pm

los blancos wrote:Deposit sent today. Should get to Durham on Wednesday at the latest. I still probably won't know for sure where I'm going to school until August. :roll: :mrgreen:
Good luck on the waitlists (read: one less person to compete with). At this point I wouldn't even care if Columbia or Chicago accepted me, but I stay on the lists just in case :mrgreen:

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:00 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:Deposit sent today. Should get to Durham on Wednesday at the latest. I still probably won't know for sure where I'm going to school until August. :roll: :mrgreen:
Good luck on the waitlists (read: one less person to compete with). At this point I wouldn't even care if Columbia or Chicago accepted me, but I stay on the lists just in case :mrgreen:
I've still only heard from CLS so I'm holding out hope for Chicago (I don't think I'd take NYU at sticker over Duke). And I'll probably end up taking the June LSAT if I get waitlisted there. Honestly I wish I could not care, but I'm insecure/paranoid and I mainly want to make sure I pursue CC as hard as possible if only so I have no regrets in the future.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:18 pm

los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I've still only heard from CLS so I'm holding out hope for Chicago (I don't think I'd take NYU at sticker over Duke). And I'll probably end up taking the June LSAT if I get waitlisted there. Honestly I wish I could not care, but I'm insecure/paranoid and I mainly want to make sure I pursue CC as hard as possible if only so I have no regrets in the future.
I can understand that. I was raised by laypeople who advocated 'Harvard or bust,' but I busted lol. Duke turned out to be probably one of the best schools for me anyways since I want to go back to Texas or work in DC. I guess any school would give me those same options; so I pick on the basis of sports, weather, and ability to live well for cheap.

If Chicago hasn't gotten back to you yet that may be a good sign, as some schools keep an elite list of go-to accepts for when deposits start rolling in. Have you just not gotten a decision or have they not rolled around to your complete date yet?

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:02 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
I can understand that. I was raised by laypeople who advocated 'Harvard or bust,' but I busted lol. Duke turned out to be probably one of the best schools for me anyways since I want to go back to Texas or work in DC. I guess any school would give me those same options; so I pick on the basis of sports, weather, and ability to live well for cheap.

If Chicago hasn't gotten back to you yet that may be a good sign, as some schools keep an elite list of go-to accepts for when deposits start rolling in. Have you just not gotten a decision or have they not rolled around to your complete date yet?
Pretty much everyone in the Chicago thread without a decision had a UR update to today including me, so I'm definitely not a special case. My numbers are a little low but if they feel they're in danger of under enrolling, my de facto ED is probably going to look very attractive to them.

I want biglaw or clerkships/academia and I want to work in CA. Basically, I just want the best possible chance of making those two things happen, hence my CCN obsession. I think especially ITE Chicago and Columbia probably offer a not insignificant step up in placement from MVPBDN. Its portability has always been killer, and worst-case scenario I'd probably still be able to find a job in my hometown - getting back to Chicago from Duke would probably be difficult.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:14 pm

Convincing argument. I think I might stay on the CC waitlist after all.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 am

I got the Net ID in the mail today. It looked like a bill or something. They let you get 2 "aliases" for your email that automatically go to your real one. The actual address given to me was myinitials##@duke.edu.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 am

DallasCowboy wrote:I got the Net ID in the mail today. It looked like a bill or something. They let you get 2 "aliases" for your email that automatically go to your real one. The actual address given to me was myinitials##@duke.edu.
Honestly I like the shortness of the real one better lol. jew91@duke.edu. Catchy. What is your net-id? The same initials## as your email address?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:51 pm

100% of loan payments paid off if you make $60k or less? I think we picked the right school :mrgreen:

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 pm

Jericwithers wrote:100% of loan payments paid off if you make $60k or less? I think we picked the right school :mrgreen:
LRAP revamp is pretty solid.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm

Jericwithers wrote: What is your net-id? The same initials## as your email address?
Yeah.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:16 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:100% of loan payments paid off if you make $60k or less? I think we picked the right school :mrgreen:
LRAP revamp is pretty solid.
It scales all the way up to $75k too, so that is nice. I just don't like the idea of being sold to PI work for 10 years in order to finish off my debt. Kind of risky since if you don't reach that 10 year mark you hardly made a dent in your debt. I guess it is still a wonderful option if I find out I suck at law school though lol.

Chairman

New

Post by Chairman » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:49 pm

Sending in my deposit today. I would have saved myself a lot of stress had I done so two months ago....

Just gotta get the house ready to sell :shock:

idiothek

New

Post by idiothek » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:09 pm

New LRAP sure looks nice...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Chairman wrote:Sending in my deposit today. I would have saved myself a lot of stress had I done so two months ago....

Just gotta get the house ready to sell :shock:
Hah, best avatar ever. I'll pay you for one! Good luck selling your house, such a daunting task.

I am shocked that the new LRAP came out so quickly. How does it stack up to Virginia's new LRAP?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”