Duke Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Jericwithers

Gold

Re: Duke Class of 2013

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 pm

I doubt the directory is working for any of us 1Ls (different for 2Ls?). Too bad because using the directory was part of my plan to out everyone on here.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:24 pm

In case anyone wondered about this, we do not and cannot get a calendar folder in our Duke email account. I've setup Outlook to communicate directly with the external mail server addresses at Duke (since webmail is so clunky and inefficient), and also setup my Duke email on my mobile phone. I was hoping to get them to activate the calendar folder in my mailbox so I could have everything consolidated (emails, tasks, contacts, etc), but unfortunately that won't happen. IT support just got back to me saying they checked with the sysadmins and it isn't allowed for students to have the calendar folder available in their duke mail account.

So it looks like I'll have to use a separate calendar and sync it manually between my mobile and my laptop. Just wanted to share in the event this would be helpful to anyone else.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 pm

Try this guys:

https://www.law.duke.edu/studir/

Note the addition of the 's' after 'http.' If that doesn't work, they just must not have added y'all yet. Although I can see you... :mrgreen:

EDIT: Ah ha. You guys are not in there yet. The summer starters (and the members of my class who are really part of your class due to their duel degrees) are there, but you are not.
Last edited by Bosque on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecubiclelife

New

Post by thecubiclelife » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:36 pm

los blancos wrote:
thecubiclelife wrote:Does anyone know if there's a working online student directory? I'm trying to contact the people in my LARW group and I don't know what to do save for sending emails to "firstname.lastname@duke.edu" and seeing if that works. When I tried accessing the directory (http://www.law.duke.edu/studir), I was kicked to a "Denied" screen.

Go to blackboard. Communication -> Roster

You must be in my section. I think.

The directory isn't working for me either.
Thanks for the help! Also, if you're in my section -- sucks that the professor let us out late. I ended up getting a bad seat in Torts and now I'm stuck with it for the rest of the semester.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:37 pm

poprox wrote:In case anyone wondered about this, we do not and cannot get a calendar folder in our Duke email account. I've setup Outlook to communicate directly with the external mail server addresses at Duke (since webmail is so clunky and inefficient), and also setup my Duke email on my mobile phone. I was hoping to get them to activate the calendar folder in my mailbox so I could have everything consolidated (emails, tasks, contacts, etc), but unfortunately that won't happen. IT support just got back to me saying they checked with the sysadmins and it isn't allowed for students to have the calendar folder available in their duke mail account.

So it looks like I'll have to use a separate calendar and sync it manually between my mobile and my laptop. Just wanted to share in the event this would be helpful to anyone else.

You actually use the Duke webmail? I just have it forward to my gmail and added the ability to send with that address to my gmail.

I just use iCal and sync it with my phone.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 pm

los blancos wrote:
You actually use the Duke webmail? I just have it forward to my gmail and added the ability to send with that address to my gmail.

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:

lololol x100000000!!!!

But yeah, I have mine forward to gmail as well, and have gmail mobile on my phone. I prefer to also have a direct connection to my duke email account to ensure faithful receipt of emails sent to that account. If the smtp forward function were to break (which can happen in an enterprise environment, for various reasons), I wouldn't want to risk missing official communication because I was relying on my gmail mailbox to tell me when I had new Duke email.
-insert another lah dee frickin dah photo here-

poprox

Bronze

Post by poprox » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:37 pm

And now for a (hopefully) easy question: is there a shower area inside the lawl school building? Or one inside a building that is pretty close to the law school? By close I mean like Chem lot close, not green-zone-overflow-hell-you'll-be-sweating-like-a-waterfall-before-you-reach-the-freakin-law-school close.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 pm

poprox wrote:And now for a (hopefully) easy question: is there a shower area inside the lawl school building? Or one inside a building that is pretty close to the law school? By close I mean like Chem lot close, not green-zone-overflow-hell-you'll-be-sweating-like-a-waterfall-before-you-reach-the-freakin-law-school close.
They've got showers at the gym, which isn't necessarily Chem lot close, but it's way better than green-zone overflow lot close. I don't know if they have one in the law school, but you could probably try to hook up a hose-connected shower head to a sink and just wing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:13 pm

thickfreakness wrote: I don't know if they have one in the law school, but you could probably try to hook up a hose-connected shower head to a sink and just wing it.

I really should start briefing torts instead of looking up pictures. This first class day has really taken it out of me though.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:28 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
poprox wrote:And now for a (hopefully) easy question: is there a shower area inside the lawl school building? Or one inside a building that is pretty close to the law school? By close I mean like Chem lot close, not green-zone-overflow-hell-you'll-be-sweating-like-a-waterfall-before-you-reach-the-freakin-law-school close.
They've got showers at the gym, which isn't necessarily Chem lot close, but it's way better than green-zone overflow lot close. I don't know if they have one in the law school, but you could probably try to hook up a hose-connected shower head to a sink and just wing it.
Bill Brown told me there's one in a bathroom down one of the faculty office hallways.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:45 pm

thecubiclelife wrote:
los blancos wrote:
thecubiclelife wrote:Does anyone know if there's a working online student directory? I'm trying to contact the people in my LARW group and I don't know what to do save for sending emails to "firstname.lastname@duke.edu" and seeing if that works. When I tried accessing the directory (http://www.law.duke.edu/studir), I was kicked to a "Denied" screen.

Go to blackboard. Communication -> Roster

You must be in my section. I think.

The directory isn't working for me either.
Thanks for the help! Also, if you're in my section -- sucks that the professor let us out late. I ended up getting a bad seat in Torts and now I'm stuck with it for the rest of the semester.

No problem! My UG used a very similar system so I know my way around it somewhat.

(and I guess you're actually not in my section)

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 pm

This is relevant to my interests, as I may start biking to school (~4 mi.)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:47 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
los blancos wrote:

Reedie

Bronze

Post by Reedie » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:57 am

4 miles shouldn't be too bad most of the year. Just dress in a t-shirt and then put on another layer when you arrive. In the summer, I'd consider a change of clothes and these:

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:11 am

Last edited by los blancos on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:56 pm

los blancos wrote:so i think the ASD yalie didnt end up going to school here. but he has been adequately replaced by this dude who shows up wearing a suit everyday
even to dedicated to durham.

ps withers who the hell are you i keep thinking i get eye contact with you but i can never be sure

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:07 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:
los blancos wrote:so i think the ASD yalie didnt end up going to school here. but he has been adequately replaced by this dude who shows up wearing a suit everyday
even to dedicated to durham.

ps withers who the hell are you i keep thinking i get eye contact with you but i can never be sure
You are a very hard person to place as well. One time during orientation I recognized you but for some reason or another I didn't introduct myself (ok-I didn't want to out either of us to a group of seemingly normal people). I guess I could wear burnt orange every day until you spot me? iunno lol

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Last edited by quakeroats on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Last edited by Jericwithers on Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Last edited by los blancos on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm

bosque/prez, how's OCI going?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Last edited by quakeroats on Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:07 pm

fine lets just edit en masse. i will start

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

los blancos wrote:bosque/prez, how's OCI going?
PM

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”