Northwestern Law Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
tome

Bronze

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Post by tome » Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am

bearsrock wrote:can somebody post something to make me really excited about coming?
gross

Shellbelle

Bronze

Post by Shellbelle » Tue May 11, 2010 12:48 pm

sparty11 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
sparty11 wrote:just signed at the Onterie...56th floor for under a grand! i read some reviews on google about how the walls are paper thin which resulted in noisy rooms, but i just couldnt pass up that price/view/location. hopefully it will all work out! anyone else at the Onterie?
How big? I'm considering Onterie.
It's a studio...480 sq. ft. i think. i really like their layout though, it felt a lot bigger than that. i was in a convertable that was 620 sq. ft. and the layout sucked, so it actually felt smaller than the studio.
that's not bad for under a grand. Just curious, did you sign a lease for May/June or August?

My understanding is the price jumps considerably in August but I just can't justify leaving my job and moving to Chicago before mid-august....

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue May 11, 2010 5:40 pm

bearsrock wrote:can somebody post something to make me really excited about coming?
--ImageRemoved--

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Tue May 11, 2010 5:56 pm

Happy birthday to meeeee! As a present to myself, I started picking out my IKEA furniture and spent about an hour just googling pictures of the law school.

Also, you've all seen this, right? And the Chris Walken original, naturally.

http://vimeo.com/3835930

And, just to make sure, you did see NU Law's ATL first-prize entry for Law Revue, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMXf_g7y3o

So excited to get to school!!!!!

Shellbelle

Bronze

Post by Shellbelle » Tue May 11, 2010 6:15 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Happy birthday to meeeee! As a present to myself, I started picking out my IKEA furniture and spent about an hour just googling pictures of the law school.

And, just to make sure, you did see NU Law's ATL first-prize entry for Law Revue, right?

hahaha happy birthday meggie. Not get off google and go have a drink!!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Northwestern2013ES

New

Post by Northwestern2013ES » Tue May 11, 2010 8:29 pm

IAFG wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Now I need to see a picture of the gym.

michaellikesit

New

Post by michaellikesit » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Happy birthday to meeeee! As a present to myself, I started picking out my IKEA furniture and spent about an hour just googling pictures of the law school.

Happy Birthday.

Northwestern2013ES

New

Post by Northwestern2013ES » Tue May 11, 2010 8:56 pm

michaellikesit wrote:

Happy Birthday.
+1

NU Person

New

Post by NU Person » Wed May 12, 2010 1:00 am

K's Logic wrote:I know that many current students have advised to live walking distance from school for 1L, but would Lincoln Park be a bad idea for someone unfamiliar with the city? It seems to be one of the better areas - cheaper than Streeterville and more restaurants, etc. I don't want to go too far away that it makes getting to/from school a pain in the butt, though. Is Streeterville kind of a ghost town at night?
I have lived in Lincoln Park since August of my 1L year and it is an easy commute. I walk 2 blocks the red line, take it 3 stops, and then walk 2 blocks to school. I would definitely recommend it. I fell like I actually live in a community with culture instead of a business district. Also the rent is considerably cheeper. I only pay 450 a month and have a porch with rabbits.

If you have any other questions let me know. I am recent 3L.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Wed May 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Northwestern2013ES wrote:
IAFG wrote:
--ImageRemoved--
Now I need to see a picture of the gym.

sparty11

New

Post by sparty11 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
sparty11 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
sparty11 wrote:just signed at the Onterie...56th floor for under a grand! i read some reviews on google about how the walls are paper thin which resulted in noisy rooms, but i just couldnt pass up that price/view/location. hopefully it will all work out! anyone else at the Onterie?
How big? I'm considering Onterie.
It's a studio...480 sq. ft. i think. i really like their layout though, it felt a lot bigger than that. i was in a convertable that was 620 sq. ft. and the layout sucked, so it actually felt smaller than the studio.
that's not bad for under a grand. Just curious, did you sign a lease for May/June or August?

My understanding is the price jumps considerably in August but I just can't justify leaving my job and moving to Chicago before mid-august....
I move in july 31.

dreamweaver87

Bronze

Post by dreamweaver87 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 am

OK, so I deposited yesterday and am officially coming to NU! I'm really excited!

I do need to keep my costs as low as possible, though, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to live in Worcester. I know that the studios are really small, but the price seems too low to say no. The big thing for me is that they're furnished and I'm not going to have a car/don't really want to spend the extra money to get furniture. I'm kinda bummed because I really wanted to have a roommate because I know zero people in Chicago and would have like to have at least one person to hang out with. Does anyone know anything about Worcester, otherwise? Why on earth is it so much cheaper than everywhere else? Scares me a bit...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:04 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:OK, so I deposited yesterday and am officially coming to NU! I'm really excited!

I do need to keep my costs as low as possible, though, so I'm thinking I'm going to have to live in Worcester. I know that the studios are really small, but the price seems too low to say no. The big thing for me is that they're furnished and I'm not going to have a car/don't really want to spend the extra money to get furniture. I'm kinda bummed because I really wanted to have a roommate because I know zero people in Chicago and would have like to have at least one person to hang out with. Does anyone know anything about Worcester, otherwise? Why on earth is it so much cheaper than everywhere else? Scares me a bit...
How much are the studios, and how small is small? I'm looking to keep costs down as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dreamweaver87

Bronze

Post by dreamweaver87 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:OK, so I deposited yesterday and am officially coming to NU! I'm really excited!

How much are the studios, and how small is small? I'm looking to keep costs down as well.
I'm just going off of what the Admitted Students portfolio says, but they list a small studio at $618-854 and $844-896 for a medium studio. I e-mailed Merrily Smith for more info, but she just sent me a housing application and said they'd be better able to answer my questions once they know exactly what kind of housing I'm looking for. The only review I could find online was this: http://www.yelp.com/biz/nummc-worcester-house-chicago and the reviewer said she was paying about $900 for a 300 sq/ft apartment (not sure if she was including utilities or not). I'd be curious if her apartment were considered a "small studio" or a "medium studio."

amolson04

New

Post by amolson04 » Thu May 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Hey,

Have you guys been looking on Craigslist? Lots of apartment agencies/landlords post stuff on there. It seems to me that a two-bedroom within reasonable walking distance can be had for maybe $1600 to $2000/month, approximately. (That's what I was going to do, but I found a roommate who already has an apartment!) I think it's probably worth checking out, anyway. You'd have to be a little further away than McClurg/Onterie, etc., though ...

Sorry if this thought was totally obvious and/or already said somewhere in this thread :)

jonjung710

New

Post by jonjung710 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:42 pm

hey guys, i know that work experience is pretty much required for northwestern, but does age matter? By the time I graduate from undergrad (UC Berkeley), I will be 18 going on 19. If I work for 2 years, ill be 20 at the time of applications. Will my young age be a negative factor in my admissions decision for northwestern? I predict my gpa to be at/above 3.7 and my lsat score is around 169-171 (practice scores). Any help is greatly appreciated! thnx guys!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 14, 2010 7:06 pm

jonjung710 wrote:hey guys, i know that work experience is pretty much required for northwestern, but does age matter? By the time I graduate from undergrad (UC Berkeley), I will be 18 going on 19. If I work for 2 years, ill be 20 at the time of applications. Will my young age be a negative factor in my admissions decision for northwestern? I predict my gpa to be at/above 3.7 and my lsat score is around 169-171 (practice scores). Any help is greatly appreciated! thnx guys!
first get a job and an LSAT, then worry about admissions. even 2 years from now, things will be a little different than this cycle, and it sounds like you are closer to 3+ years away from applying.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri May 14, 2010 7:13 pm

In 3 years the LSAT median might have inched up another point or two, given the inflation trend of recent years.

If I were in your shoes, I'd focus on getting great LORs and having a good resume. The danger of young applicants is seeming immature and unaccomplished.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:46 pm

jonjung710 wrote:hey guys, i know that work experience is pretty much required for northwestern, but does age matter? By the time I graduate from undergrad (UC Berkeley), I will be 18 going on 19. If I work for 2 years, ill be 20 at the time of applications. Will my young age be a negative factor in my admissions decision for northwestern? I predict my gpa to be at/above 3.7 and my lsat score is around 169-171 (practice scores). Any help is greatly appreciated! thnx guys!
I heard of a 19 year old at NU, so it does happen.

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Fri May 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri May 14, 2010 9:11 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
I heard of a 19 year old at NU, so it does happen.
Yup. One guy in my class (we graduated today!) started NU Law at age 20.
congratulations! :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTT-LS

Silver

Post by TTT-LS » Sat May 15, 2010 1:03 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Bronze

Post by MusicNutMeggie » Mon May 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Have you guys all let Hawkeye know that you've committed to Northwestern? Post it here:

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&start=75

I gave him the link to this thread and the official Facebook group a week or so ago.
Ack! Can it just be August already, prease?

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Wed May 19, 2010 3:52 pm

lolol, I just got my spreadsheet with the financial aid info broken down and apparently NU thinks I can contribute $13k out of pocket next year?! Is this going to be a problem when I'm applying for loans?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:lolol, I just got my spreadsheet with the financial aid info broken down and apparently NU thinks I can contribute $13k out of pocket next year?! Is this going to be a problem when I'm applying for loans?
Nope. They'd let Bill Gates take out total cost of attendance on grad plus. It might have affected subsidized loans, but COA is so high 13K won't do anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”