Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
gerghk

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby gerghk » Sat May 01, 2010 1:59 am

IAFG wrote:
gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg

lol begrudgingly joining us, huh?

haha no not at all! i'm actually pretty excited about it :)

i was pretty sold on the school since my alumni interview with a junior associate at WSGR in Palo Alto. i also went into this not really knowing where i can expect to get in, northwestern was always the school "i'd be pretty darn happy to go to". well mainly cuz my SO goes to med school in milwaukee, but also because i've been working for a couple years already and i'm not sure i'd be able to hang with crazy pre-law gunners coming straight out of college, so NU's presumably older and more professional student body has always been more appealing to me.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Sat May 01, 2010 2:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg

Damn, 3.9/171 in CE from Michigan. Impressive.

You want to do patent law?

haha thanks desert fox, u and rayiner keep hyping up my credentials for doing patent law.. i just hope i'll live up to it :-/

i mean patent law seems to be what i'd naturally end up in if i were to play to my strengths, but i'd certainly be interested in doing something related to telecommunications (network neutrality) or open source software

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat May 01, 2010 11:43 am

gerghk wrote:

i was pretty sold on the school since my alumni interview with a junior associate at WSGR in Palo Alto. i also went into this not really knowing where i can expect to get in, northwestern was always the school "i'd be pretty darn happy to go to". well mainly cuz my SO goes to med school in milwaukee, but also because i've been working for a couple years already and i'm not sure i'd be able to hang with crazy pre-law gunners coming straight out of college, so NU's presumably older and more professional student body has always been more appealing to me.

I appreciate the NU work experience preference too, I am sort of crochety about young people who have never experienced the real world. NU really is awesome, huh? :D

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 01, 2010 4:27 pm

IAFG wrote:
gerghk wrote:

I am sort of crochety

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat May 01, 2010 4:31 pm

rayiner wrote:
IAFG wrote:
gerghk wrote:

I am sort of crochety

--ImageRemoved--

if i were a kid and lost a baseball in rayiner's yard, i would just buy a new baseball.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat May 01, 2010 4:31 pm

IAFG wrote:
rayiner wrote:
IAFG wrote:
gerghk wrote:

I am sort of crochety

--ImageRemoved--

That's racist!

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Sat May 01, 2010 9:51 pm

frankjones

Postby frankjones » Sun May 02, 2010 7:20 pm

Does anyone know/have a guess as to how common Northwestern's $135k scholarships are? Like how many students get them?

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Sun May 02, 2010 8:00 pm

frankjones wrote:Does anyone know/have a guess as to how common Northwestern's $135k scholarships are? Like how many students get them?

I don't think too many....and it seems a lot of those are applicants that NU requests defer for a year (usually really great numbers in undergrad). FYI, on another thread someone reported that NU said they were out of grant and scholarship money for 2010.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Sun May 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Mon May 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but where is everyone planning on living?

McClurg sounds like a popular choice from what I've gathered. How do cheaper places like 860 Dewitt compare?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon May 03, 2010 5:17 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
gerghk wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already, but where is everyone planning on living?

McClurg sounds like a popular choice from what I've gathered. How do cheaper places like 860 Dewitt compare?

I'm probably going to end up living in one of the burbs.

Ew.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:18 pm

gerghk wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already, but where is everyone planning on living?

I've been wondering about 860 DeWitt, too. If anyone has any info, please let us know!

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Mon May 03, 2010 5:44 pm

frankjones wrote:Does anyone know/have a guess as to how common Northwestern's $135k scholarships are? Like how many students get them?

11 reported this year on LSN; only 3 have taken them up on it thus far. 6 have withdrawn. 12 last year.
Last edited by ncct07 on Tue May 04, 2010 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue May 04, 2010 1:10 am

boo jersey shore wrote:

I thought about that, but I ended up deciding I wanted to be really close to school. I thought it would make spending tons of time in the library more bearable, being able to take short trips home and back whenever necessary (such as taking out the dogs, getting food with the wife, whatever).

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Tue May 04, 2010 2:15 am

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 am

Drew2010 wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:

I thought about that, but I ended up deciding I wanted to be really close to school. I thought it would make spending tons of time in the library more bearable, being able to take short trips home and back whenever necessary (such as taking out the dogs, getting food with the wife, whatever).
Yeah, I've had a commute for the last five-ish years. It's almost an hour right now. I'm really looking forward to a five minute walk, like in UG. Also cuts back on possible excuses to not go to class.

But then I don't have a family like Boo. If I did I'd probably tough it out in the suburbs too.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Tue May 04, 2010 8:30 am

K's Logic wrote:I know that many current students have advised to live walking distance from school for 1L, but would Lincoln Park be a bad idea for someone unfamiliar with the city? It seems to be one of the better areas - cheaper than Streeterville and more restaurants, etc. I don't want to go too far away that it makes getting to/from school a pain in the butt, though. Is Streeterville kind of a ghost town at night?

Hey K's -- my wife and I are doing Lincoln Park. We haven't settled on a specific place yet, but after years of living in a high-rise we're ready for a more neighborhoody feel. I know the city relatively well and am happy to help/compare notes with you; feel free to PM me.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Wed May 05, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm also looking at lincoln park/lakeview area, my only concern is how reliable the buses are in snow (cali girls wouldn't know these things)...anyone?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Shellbelle wrote:I'm also looking at lincoln park/lakeview area, my only concern is how reliable the buses are in snow (cali girls wouldn't know these things)...anyone?

The buses are very reliable in the snow. Chicago is pretty good about clearing the roads before you will need to pick up your bus. You may want to leave a little bit earlier on days after a major snow storm, but I have yet to have a serious issue with getting a bus and I have lived in the city for the past two years. Also, you can always take the "L" from those neighborhoods, and the train is even more reliable than the buses.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 pm

D-hops wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:I'm also looking at lincoln park/lakeview area, my only concern is how reliable the buses are in snow (cali girls wouldn't know these things)...anyone?

The buses are very reliable in the snow. Chicago is pretty good about clearing the roads before you will need to pick up your bus. You may want to leave a little bit earlier on days after a major snow storm, but I have yet to have a serious issue with getting a bus and I have lived in the city for the past two years. Also, you can always take the "L" from those neighborhoods, and the train is even more reliable than the buses.

awesome. Thanks!

thisiswater1488

Postby thisiswater1488 » Wed May 05, 2010 5:32 pm

I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread, but has anyone gotten confirmation/enrollment info after sending a deposit? I sent mine a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not particularly concerned, just wondering what happens next.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 pm

thisiswater1488 wrote:I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere in the thread, but has anyone gotten confirmation/enrollment info after sending a deposit? I sent mine a few weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not particularly concerned, just wondering what happens next.

I paid my deposit online and got confirmation within an hour, followed about two hours later by my loan package. Email the admissions office or Jill Rubin Decremer at j-rubin4@law.northwestern.edu.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am

I've searched the forums for "Worcester House" (244 E. Pearson)and everything that turned up involved someone saying that "they've only heard bad things" about it. What exactly do you guys mean?

My girlfriend visited one of her best friends who goes to NU Med and lives there - she actually said it was pretty decent.

Hmm I really need to drive out to Chicago next time I visit her in Milwaukee.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:50 pm

Hey - if anyone is looking for a roommate, let me know! I want to live within easy walking distance of the law school.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”