Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ncct07 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The cubs play the sox at Wrigley in June. Who is in town then?


FYI....those games are sold out per the Cubs website.


I was planning on using stub hub.

Ouch paying 60 for upper deck makes my wallet hurt, but its a possibility if people want to go cheap.

Upper deck at Wrigley can be okay, depending on where you end up.

OMG I'm so excited to be in the land of baseball again!

User avatar
Corsair
Posts: 3997
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 1981 12:25 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:41 pm

..

User avatar
AddyO
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby AddyO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!


I'm 23. Let's be friends.


I will be 23 soon. Can I play?

K's Logic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

K's Logic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The cubs play the sox at Wrigley in June. Who is in town then?
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rose Tyler
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Rose Tyler » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm

K's Logic wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The cubs play the sox at Wrigley in June. Who is in town then?


I am a Cubs fan despite never having visited Chicago...would love to watch a game or two in late July-August when I arrive!


I'll be there and come to as many games as I can before classes start!

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!


I'm 23. Let's be friends.


Yay! Let's. :-)

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

K's Logic wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!


I really wouldn't worry about age re: friends. I am on the wrong side of NU's average age of 26, but my age hasn't stopped me from making some really good friends that are 23 or younger at my current school. In regards to the social aspect, everything I've heard about NU is good, regardless of age.

So let's be friends. :D


Thanks-- sounds like a plan!

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:58 pm

AddyO wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!


I'm 23. Let's be friends.


I will be 23 soon. Can I play?


Technically, I won't be 23 until May 11, so if I can play, so can you!

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?

I know there were a few people on the facebook group looking for roomies.

K's Logic
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:30 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MusicNutMeggie
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?

I know there were a few people on the facebook group looking for roomies.


Thanks! (And the same to K's Logic)

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm

I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.


What are your other options?

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.


What are your other options?


Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Turning down NU is going to kill me, but man, I don't know...

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.


What are your other options?


Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Turning down NU is going to kill me, but man, I don't know...

Where do you want to work? If you like the twin cities, take the UMN money and run.

dreamweaver87
Posts: 105
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.


What are your other options?


Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Turning down NU is going to kill me, but man, I don't know...

Where do you want to work? If you like the twin cities, take the UMN money and run.


I'm from the NY area and wanted to work here. Fordham should be the easy choice, but turning down better schools is tough...especially a better school with no debt. Also, recalculated debt and it would be UCLA (62k debt), Fordham (51k debt), UMN (0, of course)

User avatar
Sauer Grapes
Posts: 1222
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:02 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 am

Job-wise, NU is your best bet. However, that is a LOT of debt.

User avatar
The Pen Is Mightier
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

Depends on your risk aversion. NU is obviously gonna give you the best shot, but I have heard UM mentioned explicitly as a school that firms like. This is from a (former) hiring partner at a V5. FU outplaces its rank but it's miserable.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:I'm from the NY area and wanted to work here. Fordham should be the easy choice, but turning down better schools is tough...especially a better school with no debt. Also, recalculated debt and it would be UCLA (62k debt), Fordham (51k debt), UMN (0, of course)

you really cant call one regional school "better" than another. UMN does not place in NYC.

gerghk
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby gerghk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 pm

gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg

lol begrudgingly joining us, huh?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 pm

gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg


Damn, 3.9/171 in CE from Michigan. Impressive.

You want to do patent law?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm glad PDaddy isn't coming to NU...




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests