Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Holly Golightly

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ncct07 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:The cubs play the sox at Wrigley in June. Who is in town then?

FYI....those games are sold out per the Cubs website.

I was planning on using stub hub.

Ouch paying 60 for upper deck makes my wallet hurt, but its a possibility if people want to go cheap.

Upper deck at Wrigley can be okay, depending on where you end up.

OMG I'm so excited to be in the land of baseball again!

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:41 pm

AddyO

Postby AddyO » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!

I'm 23. Let's be friends.

I will be 23 soon. Can I play?

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:46 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:I finally got accepted yesterday after being on hold for about a month--- yay! I'm 99% sure I'm coming to Northwestern-- it's down to here and Cornell, and Ithaca does not appeal to me overly much. For those of you who were at the ASW, though, any thoughts you care to share? I visited when I interviewed in February, but that's the only time I've even been to Chicago (other than layovers at O'Hare), and any additional insight would be great.

The only thing that really worries me is isolation. I know nobody in Chicago, I'm on the younger side of Northwestern's class (23), and I'm worried about making friends and such-- something that doesn't worry me at all with Cornell's itty-bitty class and on-campus dorm. Anyone care to allay my fears? I only got to talk to a few students when I visited-- did the ones you guys met think that forming social networks was difficult? And do you have any specific housing recommendations/warnings? Thanks!
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:09 pm

K's Logic wrote:

I am a Cubs fan despite never having visited Chicago...would love to watch a game or two in late July-August when I arrive!

I'll be there and come to as many games as I can before classes start!

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Yay! Let's. :-)

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:32 pm

K's Logic wrote:

I really wouldn't worry about age re: friends. I am on the wrong side of NU's average age of 26, but my age hasn't stopped me from making some really good friends that are 23 or younger at my current school. In regards to the social aspect, everything I've heard about NU is good, regardless of age.

So let's be friends. :D

Thanks-- sounds like a plan!

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:58 pm

AddyO wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

I will be 23 soon. Can I play?

Technically, I won't be 23 until May 11, so if I can play, so can you!

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:24 pm

Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:29 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?

I know there were a few people on the facebook group looking for roomies.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:30 pm

MusicNutMeggie wrote:Does anybody else think it's a little weird that Northwestern doesn't have a roommate/housing search site for the law school? I know that I want to live as close to the campus as possible, but I really don't want to live by myself, so I don't want to rent a studio. I'd really prefer to live with a law/med/business student, too, since I figure we'd understand each other's schedules more...other than a random Craigslist search or chicagoreader.com, anybody have any ideas?
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

MusicNutMeggie

Postby MusicNutMeggie » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:56 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:

I know there were a few people on the facebook group looking for roomies.

Thanks! (And the same to K's Logic)

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:21 pm

I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

Ugh. I almost wish I hadn't gotten in so that I wouldn't have to turn it down.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:24 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Sticker there is just so expensive...even taking health insurance (covered by my parents) and automobile costs (don't have a car) out of the equation, it's pretty darn steep. :(

What are your other options?

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:26 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:I got in today after being on hold and was thrilled! Well, I still am, but...I'm really not thinking I can afford it...especially now that they've already announced in the e-mails that they don't have any more aid to give :(

Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Turning down NU is going to kill me, but man, I don't know...

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 pm

dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Where do you want to work? If you like the twin cities, take the UMN money and run.

dreamweaver87

Postby dreamweaver87 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:
dreamweaver87 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Minnesota (no debt)
UCLA (70k debt)
Fordham (70k debt)

Where do you want to work? If you like the twin cities, take the UMN money and run.

I'm from the NY area and wanted to work here. Fordham should be the easy choice, but turning down better schools is tough...especially a better school with no debt. Also, recalculated debt and it would be UCLA (62k debt), Fordham (51k debt), UMN (0, of course)

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 am

Job-wise, NU is your best bet. However, that is a LOT of debt.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:30 am

Depends on your risk aversion. NU is obviously gonna give you the best shot, but I have heard UM mentioned explicitly as a school that firms like. This is from a (former) hiring partner at a V5. FU outplaces its rank but it's miserable.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:15 am

dreamweaver87 wrote:I'm from the NY area and wanted to work here. Fordham should be the easy choice, but turning down better schools is tough...especially a better school with no debt. Also, recalculated debt and it would be UCLA (62k debt), Fordham (51k debt), UMN (0, of course)

you really cant call one regional school "better" than another. UMN does not place in NYC.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:57 pm

Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

-Greg

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:36 pm

gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

-Greg

lol begrudgingly joining us, huh?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 pm

gerghk wrote:Just paid my deposit today, it's official!!! Well unless a miracle happens on the H, S, CC waitlists

-Greg

Damn, 3.9/171 in CE from Michigan. Impressive.

You want to do patent law?

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm glad PDaddy isn't coming to NU...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”