Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby rayiner » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:37 pm

gerghk wrote:Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do


Deposit at NU and go to Stanford if you get in. I think you'll get the S-bomb actually.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:49 pm

gerghk wrote:Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do


GFY for starters :P

And if NU offered you money, turn it down by tomorrow. Thanks.

gerghk
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby gerghk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:07 pm

rayiner wrote:
gerghk wrote:Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do


Deposit at NU and go to Stanford if you get in. I think you'll get the S-bomb actually.


You've been saying that since I first posted on "What are my chances?", but I'm really not that optimistic about it.

LieutKaffee - actually i got accepted pretty late (3/17) so I won't know if i'm getting any money until 4/23... i'm an international student, so i really don't know if i can expect anything, but enough $$ can definitely sway me to just go with NU.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:21 pm

gerghk wrote:
rayiner wrote:
gerghk wrote:Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do


Deposit at NU and go to Stanford if you get in. I think you'll get the S-bomb actually.


You've been saying that since I first posted on "What are my chances?", but I'm really not that optimistic about it.

LieutKaffee - actually i got accepted pretty late (3/17) so I won't know if i'm getting any money until 4/23... i'm an international student, so i really don't know if i can expect anything, but enough $$ can definitely sway me to just go with NU.


Ah I see. Yeah I'm on the scholarship waiting list with NU. Good luck us.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby strokes788 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:00 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
gerghk wrote:
rayiner wrote:
gerghk wrote:Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do


Deposit at NU and go to Stanford if you get in. I think you'll get the S-bomb actually.


You've been saying that since I first posted on "What are my chances?", but I'm really not that optimistic about it.

LieutKaffee - actually i got accepted pretty late (3/17) so I won't know if i'm getting any money until 4/23... i'm an international student, so i really don't know if i can expect anything, but enough $$ can definitely sway me to just go with NU.


Ah I see. Yeah I'm on the scholarship waiting list with NU. Good luck us.


Withdrew today, freeing up 60K in scholarship money. Hope you're one of the recipients

gerghk
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby gerghk » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:27 am

When they ask me to send them offers from peer schools, are they referring only to scholarship offers?

I am asking because I got accepted really late at most of the schools and still haven't received any financial aid information from anyone yet, except NYU which said no. Would it even be worth it for me to ask NYU if any scholarships have cycled back into the pot from withdrawals, or are they saving that for just the people admitted after me? Also, would NYU's supposed prestige over Northwestern count for anything?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 pm

Out of curiosity, how many of you plan on working out (probably at Holmes Place) daily (especially nightly)?

Also, does anyone else enjoy brazilian jiu jitsu?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:31 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of you plan on working out (probably at Holmes Place) daily (especially nightly)?

Also, does anyone else enjoy brazilian jiu jitsu?

Purple belt.


Have you looked into where you're going to train in Chicago? I enjoyed the basic shit they teach you in the army, so I did some informal training for a few months down in Florida. Was having a good time, so I'd like to keep it up here in Chicago. I'd like to find a place that does the belt system.

Also, I got to spar with a black belt dude, Roy Dean, right before moving up here. Obviously he, quite easily, kicked my ass. It is amazing how efficient guys like that are with their effort.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 pm

DailyGrind suggested I find somone to teach me how to work out. Boo wanna do some pro bono? Innuendo intended.

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:34 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:Also enjoy powerlift. I can't help you look like a bodybuilder, but I can get you strong.


What time of day do you typically lift?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:43 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
boo jersey shore wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:Out of curiosity, how many of you plan on working out (probably at Holmes Place) daily (especially nightly)?

Also, does anyone else enjoy brazilian jiu jitsu?

Purple belt.


Have you looked into where you're going to train in Chicago? I enjoyed the basic shit they teach you in the army, so I did some informal training for a few months down in Florida. Was having a good time, so I'd like to keep it up here in Chicago. I'd like to find a place that does the belt system.

Also, I got to spar with a black belt dude, Roy Dean, right before moving up here. Obviously he, quite easily, kicked my ass. It is amazing how efficient guys like that are with their effort.

There is a Gracie Barra place in the downtown area I may look into. Also, I was certified all the way up to Level 4 for combatives. As far as working out, I generally lift at night or at noon. I just cannot muster the energy to lift hard in the morning.

DF: I can help you out.


Ya working out in the morning sucks... it's convenient if you can do it, but I've never really been able to consistently. Working out at night can be more of a pain in the ass on the schedule, but so much more enjoyable. Also ranger bat gets so many more classes I feel. I'm jealous...

I think I know what place you're talking about, Gracie Barra The Loop.. I think thats where I'm going to try and go as long as the cost isn't too bad. I'm pretty sure they are going to make me start all over again in the beginner classes, which I don't mind, but I hope I get to spar some.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:37 pm

Has anybody tried to buy the laptop through NU yet? I'm pretty sure the two models they offer warranties for are not being sold anymore.

They say you can buy either the Dell Latitude E4300 or E6400. I don't see either one listed in the dropdown menu. And if you search the dell site, it gives specs for the computer, but no way to buy or customize.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:38 pm

NayBoer wrote:Has anybody tried to buy the laptop through NU yet? I'm pretty sure the two models they offer warranties for are not being sold anymore.

They say you can buy either the Dell Latitude E4300 or E6400. I don't see either one listed in the dropdown menu. And if you search the dell site, it gives specs for the computer, but no way to buy or customize.


Are they even giving a good deal? From what I've seen most "education" discount programs suck.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby TTT-LS » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:50 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm not really concerned about the discount so much as the warranty and loaner programs. If you buy from Dell through NU's program, they will fix it under warranty (according to that 2L we had lunch with) and they will give you a loaner laptop, if available (according to the IT page). But the deal did seem pretty good, and some of the models have over 35% discount.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby TTT-LS » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:47 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:11 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Withdrew; I hope my seat helps someone deserving.

I hope so too :wink:

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:55 am

NayBoer wrote:Has anybody tried to buy the laptop through NU yet? I'm pretty sure the two models they offer warranties for are not being sold anymore.

They say you can buy either the Dell Latitude E4300 or E6400. I don't see either one listed in the dropdown menu. And if you search the dell site, it gives specs for the computer, but no way to buy or customize.
FYI - They said the page is wrong and to check back next week.

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:12 pm

DF, given your Chicago expertise, what would you say are the nicest suburbs of Chicago where someone could buy a home with a yard, but aren't ridiculously expensive? Do you think it’s feasible to live in one of the suburbs and commute downtown to work at a firm?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Drew2010 wrote:DF, given your Chicago expertise, what would you say are the nicest suburbs of Chicago where someone could buy a home with a yard, but aren't ridiculously expensive? Do you think it’s feasible to live in one of the suburbs and commute downtown to work at a firm?


Most of the people at my old office live in the burbs and commute. Location depends on what you mean by "ridiculously expensive," and how long of a commute you want.

User avatar
Rose Tyler
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Rose Tyler » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:41 pm

Drew2010 wrote:DF, given your Chicago expertise, what would you say are the nicest suburbs of Chicago where someone could buy a home with a yard, but aren't ridiculously expensive? Do you think it’s feasible to live in one of the suburbs and commute downtown to work at a firm?


Metra is pretty convenient for commuting from the suburbs to downtown and definitely beats driving in rush hour on the Kennedy or whatever else you'd take into the city.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby scribelaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:27 am

Anyone on the $$ waitlist heard anything?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby quakeroats » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:33 am

Does anyone who went to the ASW know if Northwestern distributed a list of where they placed the class of 2009 or anything similar?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 am

quakeroats wrote:Does anyone who went to the ASW know if Northwestern distributed a list of where they placed the class of 2009 or anything similar?


I don't think so. I went the career services presentation and they didn't mention it.

dkieran
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 9:10 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby dkieran » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:17 am

I know its a bit late but just got me email in for 2013 - technically 2012 as I am a two year JD international lawyer candidate (thats a mouthful). They really made me sweat it as they did not make decisions for international two year JD candidates until now!!

Just waiting on the financial aid stuff but at least I know I will be in Chicago this fall!! :D




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest