Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:11 pm

AddyO wrote:For everybody looking for housing in the Streeterville Area, I thought McClurg was the best deal, but I ended up going to Lake Shore Plaza (its across from 420 Ohio East). They had Convertibles for 1075 and 1 bedrooms for 1250 with 2 walk in closets and lots of space. All the kitchens are all white so no upgrades but the prices where the best I had seen and you and lock in the rate now if you get on the list. McClurg sorta scared me when they said the rate could change. I'm on the list at both but I think I'll go with Lake Shore Plaza. If anyone has heard horror stories PLEASE pm me. I also visited Onterie, Streeter Place, McClurg, 420 Ohio East and The Seneca if anyone wants details.

Apartmentratings.com has horror stories re Section 8 residents there. I can't confirm and didn't visit it this weekend. Rayiner seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:15 pm

I'm now planning on living in the ghetto. Let me know if you want to be my neighbor.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:24 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:I'm now planning on living in the ghetto. Let me know if you want to be my neighbor.

Which ghetto?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:26 pm

mayosmith wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm now planning on living in the ghetto. Let me know if you want to be my neighbor.

Which ghetto?


Well, not IN the ghetto, but DF has alerted me to the fact that there are sweet apts to be had near Cabrini. I'm in.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:27 pm

--LinkRemoved--

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 pm

Desert Fox wrote:http://www.visionarywebsites.com/portfolio/atriumvillage/

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.
How horrible is this area today? Because the prices are just awesome.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I'm now planning on living in the ghetto. Let me know if you want to be my neighbor.

Which ghetto?


Well, not IN the ghetto, but DF has alerted me to the fact that there are sweet apts to be had near Cabrini. I'm in.

ohai future roomie

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:45 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:http://www.visionarywebsites.com/portfolio/atriumvillage/

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.
How horrible is this area today? Because the prices are just awesome.


do it! We can hang out!

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:http://www.visionarywebsites.com/portfolio/atriumvillage/

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.
How horrible is this area today? Because the prices are just awesome.


You don't want to live there.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:56 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:http://www.visionarywebsites.com/portfolio/atriumvillage/

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.
How horrible is this area today? Because the prices are just awesome.


You don't want to live there.
What if I use the money I save on rent to buy a gun and a rottweiler?

User avatar
windycityblues
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:28 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby windycityblues » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:34 pm

NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:http://www.visionarywebsites.com/portfolio/atriumvillage/

I was wondering why this place was a lot cheaper than anywhere else.

Then I google mapped it. I was thinking, too south for old town, too west for Gold Coast, oooooohhhhh.
How horrible is this area today? Because the prices are just awesome.


You don't want to live there.
What if I use the money I save on rent to buy a gun and a rottweiler?


For reals, this area is still pretty touch and go--some blocks will be just fine and will feel like a nice little neighborhood--go 2 blocks another way and your rotty will soil himself under the shine of multiple blue light cameras. Before signing anything I would go to the slum of your choosing in person, then at night walk to a.) the closest bus/el stop you would take to school, b.) the nearest place that sells easy mac/milk/insert stress-relieving snack of choice and c.) the closest place to get a caffeinated beverage/study.

If you feel totally comfortable doing the above 3 things (assuming you have any sort of internal ghetto safety-meter) then give it a chance. If you find yourself saying..."well, those gentlemen just must have been trading advil for their studying-induced headaches" or "wow, what neighborhood spirit, everybody is wearing the same color hat...I must get one of these hats!" then I would look elsewhere. Just my .02...

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm not even going to try it. I'm already filling out an application for the McClurg waitlist.

User avatar
AddyO
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby AddyO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:Apartmentratings.com has horror stories re Section 8 residents there. I can't confirm and didn't visit it this weekend. Rayiner seemed to think it wasn't a big deal.



Thanks. I did read about that. I heard they are on the lower floors in one place and in general I'm not worried about that.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:09 pm

windycityblues wrote:
For reals, this area is still pretty touch and go--some blocks will be just fine and will feel like a nice little neighborhood--go 2 blocks another way and your rotty will soil himself under the shine of multiple blue light cameras. Before signing anything I would go to the slum of your choosing in person, then at night walk to a.) the closest bus/el stop you would take to school, b.) the nearest place that sells easy mac/milk/insert stress-relieving snack of choice and c.) the closest place to get a caffeinated beverage/study.

If you feel totally comfortable doing the above 3 things (assuming you have any sort of internal ghetto safety-meter) then give it a chance. If you find yourself saying..."well, those gentlemen just must have been trading advil for their studying-induced headaches" or "wow, what neighborhood spirit, everybody is wearing the same color hat...I must get one of these hats!" then I would look elsewhere. Just my .02...


This made me lol. And it was also a pretty good piece of advice.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Hey look, our dean is a-blogging:

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/rankings ... tay-so-let’s-focus-on-making-them-better/

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:01 pm

Go Van Zandt!

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:19 pm

T12?

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:T12

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:21 pm

Actually no, lets stay with T13. Otherwise we are tied for the worst t12.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Actually no, lets stay with T13. Otherwise we are tied for the worst t12.


Good point. But there is a pretty big difference between Duke/Northwestern and Cornell.

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby tome » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:41 pm

Word is that NU dropped to 13 this year anyway.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:42 pm

.
Last edited by 09042014 on Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFG
Posts: 6665
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:43 pm

tome wrote:Word is that NU dropped to 13 this year anyway.

but northwestern law broke into top 5 for business schools this year, so it's a wash really

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby tome » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:50 pm

IAFG wrote:
tome wrote:Word is that NU dropped to 13 this year anyway.

but northwestern law broke into top 5 for business schools this year, so it's a wash really


That, and minor fluctuations in school rank from year to year mean nothing to anyone that counts.

gerghk
Posts: 67
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby gerghk » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:45 pm

Major setback today... I'm waitlisted at Stanford

Now what to do




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest