Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Lieut Kaffee

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:44 am

K's Logic wrote:
K's Logic wrote:I unfortunately couldn't make DANL. Would anyone who attended be willing to share their thoughts on it?

bump

Anyone? Just curious to see if there was any special (good or bad) tidbits that one would find interesting.

Hard to summarize the entire weekend without sounding like a rambling, trolling fantard. The "Northwestern Difference" they brag about on the website definitely starts to feel legitimate when you hear the Dean and the profs talk about the philosophies and programs they emphasize. Also, the people are so legit I feel like I have a lasting network of 1L and 2L friends after just two nights. And I met my possible next roommate in one of the admits.

Good people, good school, amazing location. It really depends what your other options are. If you're also looking at CCN and are really focused on clerkships and/or PI, choosing NU would probably be a strategy fail.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:53 am

Desert Fox wrote:
K's Logic wrote:
K's Logic wrote:I unfortunately couldn't make DANL. Would anyone who attended be willing to share their thoughts on it?

bump

Anyone? Just curious to see if there was any special (good or bad) tidbits that one would find interesting.

Its hard to compare since I went to only one ASW, but everyone there was engaging, friendly, mature, and everything I want in future classmates.

The students are laid back and are cooperative.

The Dean's plan to make Northwestern the most practical law school is very interesting. They focus on what I want out of law school, employment outcomes and practical abilities. And unlike how many people say, its not just corporate. They are trying to produce good lawyers for PI, clerking and academia too. How much of this is bullshit? Who knows.

The location is amazing. Right in the heart of Chicago.

If you have specific questions ask me.

After the Dean's talk I stayed back and talked with him for about 15 minutes (missing the start of the loans seminar). We talked about his philosophy on the USNWR rankings and how they are a lagging indicator. Of course I'm biased since I'm going to NU, but it would be cool to see an increase in clerkships and academic placements over the next few years produce an increase in the infamous "reputation scores."

For what it's worth, NU has been ranked #1 in career prospects by Princeton Review two years running. Frankly, I have no idea how they come up with this, but there you have it.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:59 am

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:06 am

K's Logic wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. Would have really liked to come, but I live quite far away and am swamped with work right now. NU wasn't my top choice when the application process started back in October, but after doing some more research I figured out that it is probably the best fit.

Oh, one question that someone may be able to help with: is it possible to put a deposit down on an apartment in May and not move in until August? I'll be out of the country for a large portion of the summer and don't want to have to rush to find a place when I get back.

Most of the apartment buildings I went to don't have a certain picture of the available units until 30 or 60 days out, but there are ways to get on waiting lists that essentially ensure you'll get a unit. At the risk of sounding like I'm just advertising (because I posted this elsewhere this morning), the company that ran the Friday morning housing tour seems to have their shit together. They have spreadsheets with different rates in dozens of neighborhoods throughout the area, and they have contacts in all the leasing offices. Plus, through them you can actually take care of all the logistics remotely via skype/fax/etc. Their site is

http://www.student-space.com

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:21 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
K's Logic wrote:Thanks guys, appreciate it. Would have really liked to come, but I live quite far away and am swamped with work right now. NU wasn't my top choice when the application process started back in October, but after doing some more research I figured out that it is probably the best fit.

Oh, one question that someone may be able to help with: is it possible to put a deposit down on an apartment in May and not move in until August? I'll be out of the country for a large portion of the summer and don't want to have to rush to find a place when I get back.

Most of the apartment buildings I went to don't have a certain picture of the available units until 30 or 60 days out, but there are ways to get on waiting lists that essentially ensure you'll get a unit. At the risk of sounding like I'm just advertising (because I posted this elsewhere this morning), the company that ran the Friday morning housing tour seems to have their shit together. They have spreadsheets with different rates in dozens of neighborhoods throughout the area, and they have contacts in all the leasing offices. Plus, through them you can actually take care of all the logistics remotely via skype/fax/etc. Their site is

Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:26 am

K's Logic wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Wow, these guys might be exactly what I am looking for. Any idea what would be a disadvantage of using a service like this? I mean it's free, and seeing as some of them were NU Law students, they'd know what we are looking for as future students. Thanks for the link!

Many apartments will give you a free month if you don't use a service like that.

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:35 am

Desert Fox wrote:
K's Logic wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:

Wow, these guys might be exactly what I am looking for. Any idea what would be a disadvantage of using a service like this? I mean it's free, and seeing as some of them were NU Law students, they'd know what we are looking for as future students. Thanks for the link!

Many apartments will give you a free month if you don't use a service like that.
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AddyO

Postby AddyO » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:47 am

For everybody looking for housing in the Streeterville Area, I thought McClurg was the best deal, but I ended up going to Lake Shore Plaza (its across from 420 Ohio East). They had Convertibles for 1075 and 1 bedrooms for 1250 with 2 walk in closets and lots of space. All the kitchens are all white so no upgrades but the prices where the best I had seen and you and lock in the rate now if you get on the list. McClurg sorta scared me when they said the rate could change. I'm on the list at both but I think I'll go with Lake Shore Plaza. If anyone has heard horror stories PLEASE pm me. I also visited Onterie, Streeter Place, McClurg, 420 Ohio East and The Seneca if anyone wants details.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 am

AddyO wrote:For everybody looking for housing in the Streeterville Area, I thought McClurg was the best deal, but I ended up going to Lake Shore Plaza (its across from 420 Ohio East). They had Convertibles for 1075 and 1 bedrooms for 1250 with 2 walk in closets and lots of space. All the kitchens are all white so no upgrades but the prices where the best I had seen and you and lock in the rate now if you get on the list. McClurg sorta scared me when they said the rate could change. I'm on the list at both but I think I'll go with Lake Shore Plaza. If anyone has heard horror stories PLEASE pm me. I also visited Onterie, Streeter Place, McClurg, 420 Ohio East and The Seneca if anyone wants details.

I had similar thoughts and was also impressed with the rates at Lake Shore Plaza. I've decided that if I go solo I will almost certainly do it there. I have some possible roommate scenarios in the works, and strongly preferred the 2br layout at McClurg.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:10 am

is there a northwestern housing FAQ posted somewhere so I don't have to read through the entire thread to learn all about housing?

if not, how much does reserved parking generally cost? I technically should have no reason to keep a car, but I love my baby so much :'(

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:47 am

gerghk wrote:is there a northwestern housing FAQ posted somewhere so I don't have to read through the entire thread to learn all about housing?

if not, how much does reserved parking generally cost? I technically should have no reason to keep a car, but I love my baby so much :'(

$230 per month at McClurg, for example. The buildings vary in terms of whether parking is in a specifically reserved spot or simply guaranteed within a lot/garage. I didn't pay much attention since I'm not bringing my car. I believe you should expect comparable rates at all the other comparable buildings.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:22 am

NU is the new UVA in terms of excessive trolling on TLS

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:31 am

IAFG wrote:NU is the new UVA in terms of excessive trolling on TLS

HYS CCNU?

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:NU is the new UVA in terms of excessive trolling on TLS

HYS CCNU?

sounds spot-on, esp since chicago >>>>>>>>> nyc

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 am

Seriously though HYS CCNYU is better. But Penn, Mich, Duke, Uva, NU, Cornell, Boalt is all a matter of personal tastes and market preferences.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:40 am

Desert Fox wrote:Seriously though HYS CCNYU is better. But Penn, Mich, Duke, Uva, NU, [strike]Cornell[/strike], [strike]Boalt[/strike] is all a matter of personal tastes and market preferences.

ftf cosignability

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Seriously though HYS CCNYU is better. But Penn, Mich, Duke, Uva, NU, [strike]Cornell[/strike], [strike]Boalt[/strike] is all a matter of personal tastes and market preferences.

ftf cosignability

Somebody has to like the trustifarian psuedo hippie and public ivy scenes.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 am

IAFG wrote:

ftf cosignability

I'll believe it if you choose UC over NU.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:54 am

LieutKaffee wrote:
IAFG wrote:

ftf cosignability

it would take [strike]$60k[/strike] [strike]$45K[/strike] a slice of portillo's chocolate cake

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 am

IAFG wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
IAFG wrote:

ftf cosignability

it would take [strike]$60k[/strike] [strike]$45K[/strike] a slice of portillo's chocolate cake

Heh, fair enough.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:11 am

boo jersey shore wrote:Decided to stop screwing around with BS talk of living in the burbs. Looking at Streeterville apartments. Taking questions/answers/vitriol.

Is your wife open to you guys adopting a 24 year old son.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:27 am

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:32 am

boo jersey shore wrote:Decided to stop screwing around with BS talk of living in the burbs. Looking at Streeterville apartments. Taking questions/answers/vitriol.

yesss this way i can babysit

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:57 am

Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:

kinky

a little time with other people's children is charming, fun and effective birth control. if you make it to chicago NR, i want your baby too.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 am

IAFG wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:
IAFG wrote:

kinky

... make it to chicago NR, i want your baby ...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”