Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Rose Tyler

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Rose Tyler » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
Rose Tyler wrote:Loved meeting those I did at my brief time at the ASW and agree everyone seems really laid back and cool so looking forward to being classmates.

Also decided to go on the waitlist at McClurg Court Apts. Anyone else decide on living there?

I haven't decided but that's definitely one of two or three places I'm considering.

I want to live in Streeterville somewhere, but I'm scared of the price/needing a co-signer.

Streeterville prices with the amount they give us for cost of living def scare me, but I decided I'll just not eat to living close and avoid having to commute

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:42 pm

For what it's worth, the company that led housing tours on Friday morning seems pretty well equipped to answer questions regarding different neighborhoods and different housing options. They can also put you in touch with different buildings and, ultimately, help you sign a lease remotely from anywhere in the country. Their website is here.

http://www.student-space.com/

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Rose Tyler wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
Rose Tyler wrote:Loved meeting those I did at my brief time at the ASW and agree everyone seems really laid back and cool so looking forward to being classmates.

Also decided to go on the waitlist at McClurg Court Apts. Anyone else decide on living there?

I haven't decided but that's definitely one of two or three places I'm considering.

I want to live in Streeterville somewhere, but I'm scared of the price/needing a co-signer.

Streeterville prices with the amount they give us for cost of living def scare me, but I decided I'll just not eat to living close and avoid having to commute

You're so right, I totally forgot that I'm going to stop eating this summer. That will def save me some cash.

Jackie O

Postby Jackie O » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

all of these people posting from the Chicago meetup are legit psychotic freaks

if you haven't decided on Northwestern yet, and are still considering other T14s - even one of the lower ranked T14s - I'd go ahead and pick the other school

save yourself while you can

IHaveDietMoxie

Postby IHaveDietMoxie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:53 pm

lawheaven wrote:
scribelaw wrote:Anyone have any intel on how much, if any, scholarship aid Northwestern will give out in the second wave after the April 16 deadline?

The scholarship deadline is April 16? I thought Northwestern had stopped accepting the Grant and Scholarship Application Form already. Where did you hear that the deadline was April 16? Have others gotten the same deadline?

Thanks for the help!

Some of the scholarship offers expire on the 16th, so more aid might be free at that point.

lawheaven

Postby lawheaven » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:12 pm

Thanks for the explanation!
Last edited by lawheaven on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:16 pm

lawheaven wrote:Thanks for the explanation!

I didn't get any scholarship money... and I am extremely disappointed, as I was really relying on some help from NU. I was told that the wait list was so long that it was pointless for me to be added. Is there anything I can do? Can I appeal this decision?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Where else have you gotten money from?

jlk86

Postby jlk86 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:24 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:

Does anyone have any thoughts/input on 420 East Ohio? I was able to see Onterie, Streeter Place, & McClurg on Sunday but got stuck for too long on one tour with someone asking 9000 questions & didn't get to make it over there before my flight

lawheaven

Postby lawheaven » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:26 pm

I received a full ride scholarship to a Tier 1 school.
Last edited by lawheaven on Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi all,

I am getting close enough to choosing Northwestern to start posting here. I'm doing my MS at Stanford right now, so I really need to wait until I hear back from them; same goes for HY and Columbia.

So my choice is down to NYU and Northwestern right now. I really want to let myself choose Northwestern, as my SO goes to med school in Milwaukee, but I wasn't sure if doing so would affect my career prospects significantly. From reading around (hehe sorry I just lurk most of the time) and pm'ing 1L's here and there, I think I'm pretty comfortable with choosing Northwestern over NYU, Penn, Duke and Cornell now!

:)

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:30 pm

gerghk wrote:Hi all,

I am getting close enough to choosing Northwestern to start posting here. I'm doing my MS at Stanford right now, so I really need to wait until I hear back from them; same goes for HY and Columbia.

So my choice is down to NYU and Northwestern right now. I really want to let myself choose Northwestern, as my SO goes to med school in Milwaukee, but I wasn't sure if doing so would affect my career prospects significantly. From reading around (hehe sorry I just lurk most of the time) and pm'ing 1L's here and there, I think I'm pretty comfortable with choosing Northwestern over NYU, Penn, Duke and Cornell now!

Did you make it to ASW?

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Same choice for me.

I don't think you'd be crazy to pick Northwestern, especially if a little $$ is involved. Really, even though NYU obviously has a higher standing in the legal community, career prospects seem to be broadly similar between the two. You're not giving up much.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:42 pm

How much money did NU offer you? It'd be reeeeaaaally hard to turn down NYU (and impossible to turn down HYS).

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Did you make it to ASW?

No! I really wanted to though, my girlfriend actually went to Chicago to see a friend last weekend too; it would've been perfect if I visited her :(

I'm visiting MKE in a couple weeks though, so I might drive out one day to check it out.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:46 pm

LOL I found a slum in a gentrifying part of Cabrini Green. Doing the math, it seems like that won't be the best idea.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:LOL I found a slum in a gentrifying part of Cabrini Green. Doing the math, it seems like that won't be the best idea.

link plz. Ghetto people love me.

gerghk

Postby gerghk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:50 pm

scribelaw wrote:

Same choice for me.

I don't think you'd be crazy to pick Northwestern, especially if a little $$ is involved. Really, even though NYU obviously has a higher standing in the legal community, career prospects seem to be broadly similar between the two. You're not giving up much.

Yea I emailed NU today asking them for an ETA on my financial aid info... I really hope I get some $$, but I applied on 12/31 and didn't hear back until 3/19, so I really don't know if I can expect anything :-/

janer

Postby janer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:56 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:How much money did NU offer you? It'd be reeeeaaaally hard to turn down NYU (and impossible to turn down HYS).

Not impossible...I just withdrew from H and deposited at NU!

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:02 pm

janer wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:How much money did NU offer you? It'd be reeeeaaaally hard to turn down NYU (and impossible to turn down HYS).

Interesting. I'm sure you have reasons. I'll see you around next year!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:29 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
janer wrote:

I'm gonna guess about 135,000 reasons.

Janer, were you at ASW? I remember meeting someone who was making that decision.

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:33 pm

I met a guy who was all about the benjamins. He was a current-UG youngster who was deciding between the 135k-deferral or comparable offers at UCLA and Duke. I couldn't get a straight answer out of him as to which top schools admitted him, but he didn't seem to care.

janer

Postby janer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:46 pm

D-hops wrote:
LieutKaffee wrote:
janer wrote:

I'm gonna guess about 135,000 reasons.

Janer, were you at ASW? I remember meeting someone who was making that decision.

Yep, I was there.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:LOL I found a slum in a gentrifying part of Cabrini Green. Doing the math, it seems like that won't be the best idea.

link plz. Ghetto people love me.

--LinkRemoved--

K's Logic

Postby K's Logic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:37 am

K's Logic wrote:I unfortunately couldn't make DANL. Would anyone who attended be willing to share their thoughts on it?
Last edited by K's Logic on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 am

K's Logic wrote:
K's Logic wrote:I unfortunately couldn't make DANL. Would anyone who attended be willing to share their thoughts on it?

bump

Anyone? Just curious to see if there was any special (good or bad) tidbits that one would find interesting.

Its hard to compare since I went to only one ASW, but everyone there was engaging, friendly, mature, and everything I want in future classmates.

The students are laid back and are cooperative.

The Dean's plan to make Northwestern the most practical law school is very interesting. They focus on what I want out of law school, employment outcomes and practical abilities. And unlike how many people say, its not just corporate. They are trying to produce good lawyers for PI, clerking and academia too. How much of this is bullshit? Who knows.

The location is amazing. Right in the heart of Chicago.

If you have specific questions ask me.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”