Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
scribelaw

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby scribelaw » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Anyone have any intel on how much, if any, scholarship aid Northwestern will give out in the second wave after the April 16 deadline?

Comparing LSN, Northwestern has given fewer than half as many scholarship offers as they made last year. Wonder what gives.

tome

Re: People's College of Law Law Class of 2013

Postby tome » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:13 am

mayosmith wrote:
tome wrote:
mayosmith wrote:To current People's College students: how spouse/significant other-heavy was the ASW? Did they come to most events? Or just the social stuff?

Very excited for the Goose Island party, BTW.

I don't know what the ASW was like with respect to significant others; most of us were not trying to hook up. (Although I did find out at lunch today that one of my classmates nailed a 3L at ASW last year, so at least one person was single.)

However, my experience is that not that many single people actually come here for law school. That is certainly true of my section.

Oh, sorry, I was actually asking from the opposite angle -- my wife is coming with me and wonders if it would be weird for her to attend ASW events like the mock class, etc.

Ahhh. Loads of people brought significant others who hung out at all the events. Some of them got bored, but certainly no one thought it was weird that they were there.

tome

Postby tome » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:15 am

scribelaw wrote:Anyone have any intel on how much, if any, scholarship aid Northwestern will give out in the second wave after the April 16 deadline?

Comparing LSN, Northwestern has given fewer than half as many scholarship offers as they made last year. Wonder what gives.

My guess is that too many people took them up on their scholarship offers last year and so they have less money this year. Last year was a pretty crazy cycle as the first ITE cycle. Though this is just a guess.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:21 am

tome wrote:
scribelaw wrote:Anyone have any intel on how much, if any, scholarship aid Northwestern will give out in the second wave after the April 16 deadline?

My guess is that too many people took them up on their scholarship offers last year and so they have less money this year. Last year was a pretty crazy cycle as the first ITE cycle. Though this is just a guess.

You may be right.

I'm hoping they were just being a little conservative on the front end, due to perhaps some unpredictability in how ITE will affect admissions and yield rates.

animalcrkrs

Postby animalcrkrs » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:28 pm

I've posted this in a separate thread asking for the below, but was hoping to get a response from some NU Law incomers...

For those students who have received admitted students materials from Vanderbilt:

I remember when I got in to Vandy last year they sent a really informative bound notebook of info about the city, housing etc.--I am working to potentially update some of that sort of stuff here at NU Law for future incoming students (I am a NU Class of 2012 kid) and was hoping to get my hands on that book to get ideas/best practices...would someone be willing to send me theirs if they don't need it or have decided to go somewhere else and don't want it anymore(I threw mine away last year)? I'd gladly send you a check for the shipping cost OR get it from someone who is coming to ASW this weekend in a meetup!

PM me if you'd be willing, thanks!

guyincognito

Postby guyincognito » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm

have we already discussed the dress code situation for ASW? I was thinking of going in drag the whole weekend, but I broke a heel on my favorite pumps dancing the other night. So my second option is business casual...thoughts?

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:17 am

guyincognito wrote:have we already discussed the dress code situation for ASW? I was thinking of going in drag the whole weekend, but I broke a heel on my favorite pumps dancing the other night. So my second option is [strike]business casual...thoughts?[/strike] mustache wax, loads and loads of mustache wax
fixed

I'm planning on jeans and something other than a t-shirt. Forecast says high in the 50s.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:19 am

NayBoer wrote:
guyincognito wrote:have we already discussed the dress code situation for ASW? I was thinking of going in drag the whole weekend, but I broke a heel on my favorite pumps dancing the other night. So my second option is [strike]business casual...thoughts?[/strike] mustache wax, loads and loads of mustache wax
fixed

I'm planning on jeans and something other than a t-shirt. Forecast says high in the 50s.

+1

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:20 am

Ok me too. I'm excited to meet people who will hopefully be lifelong friends.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Ok me too. I'm excited to meet people who will hopefully be lifelong friends.
If it weren't for Hilary Duff's eye-opening PSA, I would now be forced to call you gay.

Instead, I'll friend you on facebook.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 am

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Ok me too. I'm excited to meet people who will hopefully be lifelong friends.
If it weren't for Hilary Duff's eye-opening PSA, I would now be forced to call you gay.

Instead, I'll friend you on facebook.

I thought about that sounded and went full steam ahead anyway.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:39 am

I'll be there in spirit!

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:08 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I'll be there in spirit!

Someone should bring a laptop so you can cam in

Aine

Postby Aine » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
dudester wrote:For those of you still waiting for financial aid offers:

Dudester: Hello. When might admitted students start receiving financial aid offers?

NU: We evaluate applications once they're complete and e-mail the decisions as soon as they're made.

Dudester: So, when do you think we might start hearing back?

NU: *silence

Dudester: One or two weeks?

NU: As soon as a decision is made.

Dudester: OK, thanks.

NU: *click

:?

+1

Also, hi everyone. Been reading all your stuff but I'm not much of a big poster myself...

Looking to defer for a year but excited to meet you all this weekend!

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 pm

I set some appointments to go see apartments on Sunday. McClurg requires 3x the rent and Streeter Place wants 2.5x the rent. Is getting a co-signer the usual route for people living in Streeterville?

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
NayBoer wrote:McClurg requires 3x the rent and Streeter Place wants 2.5x the rent.

Say what? I've lived in McDorm for 3 years and have never heard this. My deposit was something like $300. And I don't know of anyone who has used a co-signer, though some people may go that route.

NayBoer can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is saying they require some form of income verification of 3x the amount of the rent to be approved for a lease. I would think that they accept the loans that you'll be receiving as sufficient proof of "income".

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:26 pm

TTT-LS wrote:
NayBoer wrote:McClurg requires 3x the rent and Streeter Place wants 2.5x the rent.

Say what? I've lived in McDorm for 3 years and have never heard this. My deposit was something like $300. And I don't know of anyone who has used a co-signer, though some people may go that route.
Did you qualify for the place based on your pay stubs or your loan docs? If you already worked in Chicago when you started at NU, maybe they let you use that income to qualify.

They said those were the requirements. Told both of them I would be a student on loans. I think Streeter Place said they count loan income subtracting tuition (so 73k minus 49k). No way that would qualify for anything; it only works out to qualify for less than $800 rent.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 pm

D-hops wrote:
TTT-LS wrote:

NayBoer can correct me if I'm wrong but I think he is saying they require some form of income verification of 3x the amount of the rent to be approved for a lease. I would think that they accept the loans that you'll be receiving as sufficient proof of "income".
I assumed that's how it would work. But one of them said that the income is counted after tuition is paid.

It seems like they'd lose lots of qualified tenants through this process, but she told me they are over 90% capacity and aren't hurting for tenants.

TTT-LS

Postby TTT-LS » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Last edited by TTT-LS on Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:13 pm

NayBoer wrote:I set some appointments to go see apartments on Sunday. McClurg requires 3x the rent and Streeter Place wants 2.5x the rent. Is getting a co-signer the usual route for people living in Streeterville?

I was downtown today and looked at Chestnut Place Apts in Gold Coast. Really big convertible for a reasonable price, nice fitness center, only about a half mile walk over to campus, and the Whole Foods a couple blocks over. I'm going to look around a bit more in Streeterville too, but I really liked this one and I used to live in the apts on Barry that the management company owned and never had problems with management or the owners.

tome

Postby tome » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Have fun at DANL everyone that's coming. It really is a good time.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 am

Hmm, well thanks TTT-LS. I'll just play it by ear when I go visit and see what happens.

Chestnut Place looks cool. I'm surprised I didn't find it before, after looking at dozens of places listed online. A cheaper convertible there would be nice.

Rose Tyler

Postby Rose Tyler » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:15 am

NayBoer wrote:Hmm, well thanks TTT-LS. I'll just play it by ear when I go visit and see what happens.

Chestnut Place looks cool. I'm surprised I didn't find it before, after looking at dozens of places listed online. A cheaper convertible there would be nice.

Apts I thought were really nice, and $1100-$1300 for 700 sq ft was pretty good compared to what I've seen so far. Building doesn't look like much from the outside, but definitely worth a look

Lieut Kaffee

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:24 am

What's the best way to get from the airport to the campus? Taxi?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”