Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
NayBoer

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:44 pm

Do apartments in Chicago not charge deposits? Websites don't mention it much and craigslist ads mostly mention it when they're zero. Is it customary for them to spring the deposit on you as a surprise, or are they just not charging deposits right now?

chutzpah wrote:Not to be a creep, but what hotels are people staying at for the ASW? Did anyone get a good NU rate or just book online?
I called half the hotels that were listed as offering NU rates. Several of them had no idea what I was talking about, and I'm pretty sure the other one was just quoting me the regular rate (he was vague about the rate and I didn't push). So I think it's all regular rate. Also, one of the phone numbers goes to the wrong hotel.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 pm

NayBoer wrote:Do apartments in Chicago not charge deposits? Websites don't mention it much and craigslist ads mostly mention it when they're zero. Is it customary for them to spring the deposit on you as a surprise, or are they just not charging deposits right now?

I think it depends on what you are looking at. A lot of high rises charge a non-refundable move-in fee and then don't have a security deposit. But if you are leasing from a individual or looking at 3-flats or walk-ups a lot of the owners will charge a deposit.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:08 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Do apartments in Chicago not charge deposits? Websites don't mention it much and craigslist ads mostly mention it when they're zero. Is it customary for them to spring the deposit on you as a surprise, or are they just not charging deposits right now?

I think it depends on what you are looking at. A lot of high rises charge a non-refundable move-in fee and then don't have a security deposit. But if you are leasing from a individual or looking at 3-flats or walk-ups a lot of the owners will charge a deposit.
Thanks!

Also, my girlfriend found a law that requires landlords to go through a lot of hoops to get a deposit, and also requires them to pay back interest on the deposit after a year. So it sounds like a hassle. Might explain why they don't do it.

Guess I'll watch out for move-in fees. Hopefully they'll have a move-in special at McClurg or Streeter Place or wherever.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:12 pm

NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Thanks!

Also, my girlfriend found a law that requires landlords to go through a lot of hoops to get a deposit, and also requires them to pay back interest on the deposit after a year. So it sounds like a hassle. Might explain why they don't do it.

Guess I'll watch out for move-in fees. Hopefully they'll have a move-in special at McClurg or Streeter Place or wherever.

While a lot of apartments do not do a "deposit" they will often want you to pay the first couple months of rent or something.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:45 am

NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Thanks!

Actually just signed a lease at Streeter Place.. no move in fee or security deposit, just had a 1/2 off pet deposit. I think the app fee was $60, something like that. To qualify without a cosigner you need to show an income of 2.5 X the yearly rent.

Edited to make more clear.
Last edited by Drew2010 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:48 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:In Chicago right now and staying at the inn of Chicago. Location is amazing and everything else is more than I expected for the cost. It's got my recommendation so far.

I was also in Chicago the past couple of days and stayed at the Affinia hotel. I got a good price through travelocity buying along with my flight, but I'm not sure how much it was per night. Was a good location, on the same street as the law school. Probably about a 1-2 min walk from the school. As far as the room it was fairly nice, I would recommend it if you can get a decent deal there.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am

Drew2010 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Thanks!

Actually just signed a lease at Streeter Place.. no move in fee or security deposit, just had a 1/2 off pet deposit. I think the app fee was $60, something like that. To qualify without a cosigner you need 2.5 X the yearly rent.

Wait...what?!

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:49 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Wait...what?!

I decided on AJD, so I wanted to get up there before the online classes start so me and my wife have plenty of time to settle and job search and stuff before I have to get to work. We're moving up on April 1st.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:23 am

NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Thanks!

So you settled on streeterville?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:39 am

Drew2010 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Wait...what?!

I decided on AJD, so I wanted to get up there before the online classes start so me and my wife have plenty of time to settle and job search and stuff before I have to get to work. We're moving up on April 1st.

Sorry, I should have clarified. The "Wait...what?!" was re: needing to provide 2.5x yearly rent without a co-signer. :shock:

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Wait...what?!

Sorry, I should have clarified. The "Wait...what?!" was re: needing to provide 2.5x yearly rent without a co-signer. :shock:

I'm guessing he means monthly instead of yearly.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:00 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
Wait...what?!

I'm guessing he means monthly instead of yearly.

Nope.. yearly.. so rent X 12 X 2.5 is what they want you to make per year, or receive through financial aid to get approved without a cosigner. They also said they would accept savings or funds up to that amount, but I don't see that being very relevant, it sure wasn't for me. Maybe different buildings in the area do things differently?

Edit: I fixed the original so it was clearer. I just trying to say they want to see an income of 2.5 X the yearly rent.
Last edited by Drew2010 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:23 am

Drew2010 wrote:Nope.. yearly.. so rent X 12 X 2.5 is what they want you to make per year, or receive through financial aid to get approved with a cosigner. They also said they would accept savings or funds up to that amount, but I don't see that being very relevant, it sure wasn't for me. Maybe different buildings in the area do things differently?

Edit: I fixed the original so it was clearer. I just trying to say they want to see an income of 2.5 X the yearly rent.

Yeah, that is similar to what I have at my current place. I needed to show that the rent I would be paying is no more than 40% of my gross income for the year. Otherwise I was going to need a co-signer.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:29 am

What is the cheapest anyone has found rent around the area. The COL loans look like they won't even cover 12 months rent.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:What is the cheapest anyone has found rent around the area. The COL loans look like they won't even cover 12 months rent.

I think they'll cover rent....if you don't want to eat anything for the year.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:10 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:What is the cheapest anyone has found rent around the area. The COL loans look like they won't even cover 12 months rent.

Holly was telling me about a tea and whiskey diet. I should try it.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Ohai, just popping in real quick... it's not meant to cover 12 months, only 9. hth.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

NancyBotwin wrote:

Ohai, just popping in real quick... it's not meant to cover 12 months, only 9. hth.

Anyone know if NU give summer grants?

AddyO

Postby AddyO » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
Nope.. yearly.. so rent X 12 X 2.5 is what they want you to make per year, or receive through financial aid to get approved without a cosigner. They also said they would accept savings or funds up to that amount, but I don't see that being very relevant, it sure wasn't for me. Maybe different buildings in the area do things differently?

So I don't have a job and I know that most people do, but I don't want to use a co-signer. Did you mean if you have the savings you still need a co-signer or if you can cover the rent x12 x2.5 through savings alone and financial aid you can sign for yourself? I should be able to get an apartment if I can technically pay for it in cash right?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:30 pm

AddyO wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:

So I don't have a job and I know that most people do, but I don't want to use a co-signer. Did you mean if you have the savings you still need a co-signer or if you can cover the rent x12 x2.5 through savings alone and financial aid you can sign for yourself? I should be able to get an apartment if I can technically pay for it in cash right?

if you can show that your loans will cover it, you are fine.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:31 pm

AddyO wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:

Ya.. if you can satisfy the rent X 12 x 2.5 then no need for a cosigner.. sorry, I originally had a typo where I said with a cosigner, but I meant without. With a cosigner you don't actually have to make or show anything.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Holly was telling me about a tea and whiskey diet. I should try it.

I like this. It's like a detox with booze.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm assuming that some loan documentation will be sufficient to get approved, since 1Ls aren't allowed to work.

Desert Fox wrote:So you settled on streeterville?
Yeah, pretty solidly. Not entirely opposed to River North, Gold Coast or New Eastside, but I'd really like it to be less 20 minutes' walk. Looking most closely at McClurg, but I'll do Streeter Place or somewhere else if the move-in fees, parking, etc. don't add up.

The problem is Streeter Place you pay for all sorts of awesome community amenities that I don't really need. I'd rather have a 1BR or convertible in McClurg. Living in a one-room studio would probably drive me crazy faster than going without access to a community pool, gym club, and business center. The Streeter Place convertibles are crazy.

Drew2010 wrote:Actually just signed a lease at Streeter Place.. no move in fee or security deposit, just had a 1/2 off pet deposit. I think the app fee was $60, something like that. To qualify without a cosigner you need to show an income of 2.5 X the yearly rent.
How far from Chicago is your current job? Was it plausible that you'd keep working the job? Because my job is 2,100 miles from Chicago, so if they ask me even a few questions it will be obvious that my income records and W-2s are irrelevant for my future income.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm trying to find something cheap, but I've realized that isn't happening without moving far away from school.

Supposedly that NU owned building across the street is kinda cheap, but I heard it sucks. I'm considering taking a tour or something to see how bad it sucks and how cheap I can get it.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:26 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:Actually just signed a lease at Streeter Place.. no move in fee or security deposit, just had a 1/2 off pet deposit. I think the app fee was $60, something like that. To qualify without a cosigner you need to show an income of 2.5 X the yearly rent.
How far from Chicago is your current job? Was it plausible that you'd keep working the job? Because my job is 2,100 miles from Chicago, so if they ask me even a few questions it will be obvious that my income records and W-2s are irrelevant for my future income.

Both my job and my wife's are both around 1500 miles away. We went the cosigner route because of that. I'll be getting a living stipend from the GI Bill which makes inability to pay our rent extremely unlikely, thus providing our cosigner with enough confidence that they wouldn't get screwed over by helping us out. We had some money saved up, plus we're selling both our cars, and we're using that money to live off while we search for my wife a job. To live comfortably we need to find her something making about $10/hour full time.. however we're hoping that is the worst case scenario. She is almost finished with an MPA degree, so we're really hoping we can find a non-profit admin job somewhere.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”