Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Drew2010

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Switched to AJD and mailed in seat deposit today.. also RSVP'd for me and my wife to go to the ASW in April. I'm thinking about flying up this weekend to look into living arrangements, we'd like to find a place that allows both of our dogs and gives the first month or two free. Any AJD's in here just returned from the Feb ASW?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Drew2010 wrote:Switched to AJD and mailed in seat deposit today.. also RSVP'd for me and my wife to go to the ASW in April. I'm thinking about flying up this weekend to look into living arrangements, we'd like to find a place that allows both of our dogs and gives the first month or two free. Any AJD's in here just returned from the Feb ASW?

AJDs are over here -> http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=96502&p=2649628#p2649628

Also, they don't post very often. There is one, however that you can contact about being added to the AJD facebook group.

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:33 pm

Can a current student or anyone who has had experience with the travel subsidy for Admitted Students Weekend help me out?

I'm trying to make arrangements but the paperwork on the subsidy leaves a lot of stuff up in the air? Are they fairly generous or do they give out a lot of subsidies that are less than the full amount? Do they flat out deny people? Do they process requests quickly? I want to book very soon as prices rise as the day gets closer but I dont want to wait for a higher fare if they're just going to deny me or give me less than the max subsidy.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:36 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote:Can a current student or anyone who has had experience with the travel subsidy for Admitted Students Weekend help me out?

I'm trying to make arrangements but the paperwork on the subsidy leaves a lot of stuff up in the air? Are they fairly generous or do they give out a lot of subsidies that are less than the full amount? Do they flat out deny people? Do they process requests quickly? I want to book very soon as prices rise as the day gets closer but I dont want to wait for a higher fare if they're just going to deny me or give me less than the max subsidy.

wouldn't you want to book as soon as possible in either case to secure a lower fare? Doesn't seem like the answer to any of those changes would change when you book your flight. They might change if you attend at all. Are you not going to go w/o subsidy?

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:50 pm

fl0w wrote:
The Pen Is Mightier wrote:Can a current student or anyone who has had experience with the travel subsidy for Admitted Students Weekend help me out?

wouldn't you want to book as soon as possible in either case to secure a lower fare? Doesn't seem like the answer to any of those changes would change when you book your flight. They might change if you attend at all. Are you not going to go w/o subsidy?

They say that only fares of over $200 are elligible. Right now I still see fares for under $200 so if theres a significant risk, I want to snap up the lower fare asap. I'm hoping for the subsidy on my flights so that I can then subsidize my GF's tickets. Neither of us have ever been to Chicago and we both want to spend some time there before making a final decision. I'm not really angling for $50 tickets.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Is anyone going to be in Chicago Sunday March 14th? A couple of TLSers are having a mini chicago TLS meetup that night. So far me and NancyBotwin are confirmed and I think, but I'm not sure, Rainyer.

ncct07

Postby ncct07 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:15 pm

The Pen Is Mightier wrote: Neither of us have ever been to Chicago and we both want to spend some time there before making a final decision.

Fly into Midway if you're able...much easier to negotiate; 25-minute Orange Line 'El' ride into downtown (versus a 1+ hour ride on the Blue Line from O'Hare)...or $25 cab ride vs. $50. Just fyi.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:45 pm

eas331 wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
sparty11 wrote:Do you get some sort of email reply when you submit the scholarship and grant application?

I didn't, but then again I submitted everything just today.

Yes, I got a confirmation e-mail a day or two after I submitted everything. That was a couple weeks ago, though, and I also noticed that NU's twitter feed says something about having e-mail problems today. You might want to check up if you don't hear from them in a day or two.

Got my confirmation email today after submitting yesterday -- along with "a pat on the back" for being on time.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:24 am

AWWW I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO GOT A PAT ON THE BACK!! DAMN!

strokes788

Postby strokes788 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:25 pm

I have to say, Northwestern seriously has some of the nicest people working in their adcomm office. Everytime I call they are always super nice and patient, and any email I send is answered pretty quickly. Not that I make law school decisions on little things like that but it definitely makes me love them more than I already do

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:44 pm

So, the wife and I have decided to roam around Chicago this weekend, where I plan to show her that moving there from New York wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That said, I want to try to look around inside the school, if I can. Any current students or wily 0Ls have any tips on how to enter the school on, say, a Saturday?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:06 pm

mayosmith wrote:So, the wife and I have decided to roam around Chicago this weekend, where I plan to show her that moving there from New York wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That said, I want to try to look around inside the school, if I can. Any current students or wily 0Ls have any tips on how to enter the school on, say, a Saturday?

apparently just walk in. you could even do it with a gun if you wanted. har har.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:02 pm

fl0w wrote:
mayosmith wrote:So, the wife and I have decided to roam around Chicago this weekend, where I plan to show her that moving there from New York wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. That said, I want to try to look around inside the school, if I can. Any current students or wily 0Ls have any tips on how to enter the school on, say, a Saturday?

apparently just walk in. you could even do it with a gun if you wanted. har har.

Not on a weekend...

opus127

Postby opus127 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Have you contacted the Admissions Office? I'm sure they'd be happy to put you in touch with a current student who could answer your questions and show you around.

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 pm

eas331 wrote:

Have you contacted the Admissions Office? I'm sure they'd be happy to put you in touch with a current student who could answer your questions and show you around.

Actually, I did call them, and they weren't especially helpful. They essentially told me to just try my best to get into the building. But you're right, calling back to ask if there's a student ambassador or something is a great idea, thank you.

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:06 pm

rogerlodge

Postby rogerlodge » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

mayosmith wrote:
eas331 wrote:

Actually, I did call them, and they weren't especially helpful. They essentially told me to just try my best to get into the building. But you're right, calling back to ask if there's a student ambassador or something is a great idea, thank you.

Went on Saturday with a friend that is there. The school was just open. Getting in the library requires scanning a card or talking to the person working at the desk. The older portion of the building was just open and the newer portion classrooms and moot court area was locked.

Living in chicago will be easily tolerable compared to NY if not just for the COL. The school is in a great spot with shopping, restaurants, lake nearby and access to train transit in about 5-10 min walking to get you almost anywhere else you want to go.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:15 pm

rogerlodge wrote:
mayosmith wrote:
eas331 wrote:

Went on Saturday with a friend that is there. The school was just open. Getting in the library requires scanning a card or talking to the person working at the desk. The older portion of the building was just open and the newer portion classrooms and moot court area was locked.

Living in chicago will be easily tolerable compared to NY if not just for the COL. The school is in a great spot with shopping, restaurants, lake nearby and access to train transit in about 5-10 min walking to get you almost anywhere else you want to go.

i dunno why people doubted me when i said you could just walk in with a gun in your pants.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:39 am

Corsair wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Is anyone going to be in Chicago Sunday March 14th? A couple of TLSers are having a mini chicago TLS meetup that night. So far me and NancyBotwin are confirmed and I think, but I'm not sure, Rainyer.

<-

You and ray will have to pick a good place for it.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:49 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Is anyone going to be in Chicago Sunday March 14th? A couple of TLSers are having a mini chicago TLS meetup that night. So far me and NancyBotwin are confirmed and I think, but I'm not sure, Rainyer.

<-

Hangge Uppe!

At least afterward...

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:11 am

rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Corsair wrote:

<-

Hangge Uppe!

At least afterward...

dear lord that place is an effing nightmare. just go to wiener circle, get chocolate milkshakes, and call it a night.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:48 am

Anyone else who submitted all their fin aid stuff by the 1st not receive a confirmation e-mail yet?

windycityblues

Postby windycityblues » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 am

fl0w wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:You and ray will have to pick a good place for it.

Hangge Uppe!

At least afterward...

dear lord that place is an effing nightmare. just go to wiener circle, get chocolate milkshakes, and call it a night.

I'll be in town as well, look forward to meeting some of you. I second the motion that the Hangge Uppe is quite possibly the worst dive I've ever encountered. Think bad (bad) frat party with the class of '94 where all you want to do is drink more to make the memory stop, but you can't make it to the bar because your feet are cemented in the 2 inches of schlup that always finds its way to the floor and you can't fight through the unfortunate conglomeration of 38 year old bottle blondes. A good rule of thumb is only go there if you have imbibed enough to render yourself unable to argue convincingly against going.

....but that chocolate milk shake at weiner circle...scrumptious...

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 pm

Does anyone know when we might start hearing back about fin aid?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:55 pm

windycityblues wrote:Think bad (bad) frat party with the class of '94 where all you want to do is drink more to make the memory stop, but you can't make it to the bar because your feet are cemented in the 2 inches of schlup that always finds its way to the floor and you can't fight through the unfortunate conglomeration of 38 year old bottle blondes.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

windycityblues wrote: A good rule of thumb is only go there if you have imbibed enough to render yourself unable to argue convincingly against going.

Well duh, it's open till like 5 am. It's where all the drunk people go after the respectable bars kick them out!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”