Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
dudester
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby dudester » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:36 am

meowmeow wrote:Did anyone else get an email from NU for USPS tracking. It was sent on 2/15 but when I track it on USPS it doesnt even look like theyve recieved the package from NU. Anyone know what this is? The admitted students package?


Yes.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 am

dudester wrote:
meowmeow wrote:Did anyone else get an email from NU for USPS tracking. It was sent on 2/15 but when I track it on USPS it doesnt even look like theyve recieved the package from NU. Anyone know what this is? The admitted students package?


Yes.

Got mine in the mail yesterday, even though the USPS tracker thinks it hasn't even seen the package yet. It's a shiny black faux-leather binder with your admit letter and a few pieces of NU literature inside, including an admitted students guide. Not bad.

meowmeow
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:05 am

Thanks for the response guys

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:04 pm

mayosmith wrote:
dudester wrote:
meowmeow wrote:Did anyone else get an email from NU for USPS tracking. It was sent on 2/15 but when I track it on USPS it doesnt even look like theyve recieved the package from NU. Anyone know what this is? The admitted students package?


Yes.

Got mine in the mail yesterday, even though the USPS tracker thinks it hasn't even seen the package yet. It's a shiny black faux-leather binder with your admit letter and a few pieces of NU literature inside, including an admitted students guide. Not bad.


Mmmm, I wants

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:07 pm

On another note.. all I have left to do for my Fin Aid stuff is write the two essays. Blah...

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:14 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:On another note.. all I have left to do for my Fin Aid stuff is write the two essays. Blah...

Get started, brother. The longer you put that shit off, the worse it gets.


I know.. blah.. I'm definitely going to finish them today, I'm just not too excited about it because I really don't think I'm going to get any

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:28 pm

Drew2010 wrote:On another note.. all I have left to do for my Fin Aid stuff is write the two essays. Blah...

I'm there with you, but I also still have to finish Need Access. Worst.

meowmeow
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Got my Northwestern Binder :)

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 pm

Got mine today, too. Live in California.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:00 am

NayBoer wrote:Got mine today, too. Live in California.


Got mine I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Basically a print out of the pdf online.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Got mine today, too. Live in California.


Got mine I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Basically a print out of the pdf online.


I liked the binder, which was much nicer than the $10 portfolio I bought at Target for the on-campus interview. Not 200k nice, but still.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:18 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Got mine today, too. Live in California.


Got mine I live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Basically a print out of the pdf online.


I liked the binder, which was much nicer than the $10 portfolio I bought at Target for the on-campus interview. Not 200k nice, but still.


I spent 20 at Staples.

Urgh this AJD decision is killing me. I've got significant pros and cons.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 pm

What's your deadline to decide?

I really like the AJD program, but I feel like there's a reason they marketed it originally as a way for people to continue in their careers rather than a way to start out at the bottom of law firms. 24 months is a great deal, but I'd love to see some numbers and more years of experience before advising people to jump in. I'm not the sort of person to buy an iPhone the first day or attend UC Irvine before it's even accredited.

No offense intended to the AJD people. It sounds like an amazing opportunity and a way to jump feet-first into the market. I'm just not sure it works for everyone and I don't know of much data yet to evaluate that question.

Also, the regular NU JD seems to be doing all right, if they placed a higher percentage of their class in the NLJ250 than even CLS and UChi.

Speaking of which, this is the right thread to celebrate:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843
via --LinkRemoved--

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:04 pm

NayBoer wrote:I really like the AJD program, but I feel like there's a reason they marketed it originally as a way for people to continue in their careers rather than a way to start out at the bottom of law firms. 24 months is a great deal, but I'd love to see some numbers and more years of experience before advising people to jump in. I'm not the sort of person to buy an iPhone the first day or attend UC Irvine before it's even accredited.

Also, the regular NU JD seems to be doing all right, if they placed a higher percentage of their class in the NLJ250 than even CLS and UChi.

Speaking of which, this is the right thread to celebrate:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843
via --LinkRemoved--


Next Friday. I'm leaning against it. If I were over 35 I'd be all over it, but I'm not sure there is a need to hurry. Missing the Loyola patent fair is a huge negative for me. Those are interview might get without having to bid for them.

I'd also be flushing any chance of clerking, but I could take or leave that anyway. And, to be honest the GPA for that is huge, and unlikely.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:19 pm

You caught me before my ninja edits.

Didn't realize you'd miss the patent fair. You could always email NU and ask if any AJDs are hoping for IP, and how they handle the job search.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:50 pm

NayBoer wrote:You caught me before my ninja edits.

Didn't realize you'd miss the patent fair. You could always email NU and ask if any AJDs are hoping for IP, and how they handle the job search.


I could make the Patent Fair according to NU, but I decided to stay '13 anyway. I'm betting the economy improves, that I'll do better at a slower pace (splitter work ethic and all) and I have some family shit I need to help with for a while.

It was a tempting offer though.
Last edited by 09042014 on Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dick Whitman
Posts: 232
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Dick Whitman » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:I really like the AJD program, but I feel like there's a reason they marketed it originally as a way for people to continue in their careers rather than a way to start out at the bottom of law firms. 24 months is a great deal, but I'd love to see some numbers and more years of experience before advising people to jump in. I'm not the sort of person to buy an iPhone the first day or attend UC Irvine before it's even accredited.

Also, the regular NU JD seems to be doing all right, if they placed a higher percentage of their class in the NLJ250 than even CLS and UChi.

Speaking of which, this is the right thread to celebrate:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843
via --LinkRemoved--


Next Friday. I'm leaning against it. If I were over 35 I'd be all over it, but I'm not sure there is a need to hurry. Missing the Loyola patent fair is a huge negative for me. Those are interview might get without having to bid for them.

I'd also be flushing any chance of clerking, but I could take or leave that anyway. And, to be honest the GPA for that is huge, and unlikely.


The employment numbers are comparable to the regular program one year in, and employers’ comfort levels with the program should grow. There is no reason to miss the Loyola patent fair – a number of AJDs attended and interviewed last year. While it remains to be seen what judges will think of the program, there is no reason why the AJD program would foreclose a clerkship.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:47 pm

Dick Whitman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:I really like the AJD program, but I feel like there's a reason they marketed it originally as a way for people to continue in their careers rather than a way to start out at the bottom of law firms. 24 months is a great deal, but I'd love to see some numbers and more years of experience before advising people to jump in. I'm not the sort of person to buy an iPhone the first day or attend UC Irvine before it's even accredited.

Also, the regular NU JD seems to be doing all right, if they placed a higher percentage of their class in the NLJ250 than even CLS and UChi.

Speaking of which, this is the right thread to celebrate:

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 2443758843
via --LinkRemoved--


Next Friday. I'm leaning against it. If I were over 35 I'd be all over it, but I'm not sure there is a need to hurry. Missing the Loyola patent fair is a huge negative for me. Those are interview might get without having to bid for them.

I'd also be flushing any chance of clerking, but I could take or leave that anyway. And, to be honest the GPA for that is huge, and unlikely.


The employment numbers are comparable to the regular program one year in, and employers’ comfort levels with the program should grow. There is no reason to miss the Loyola patent fair – a number of AJDs attended and interviewed last year. While it remains to be seen what judges will think of the program, there is no reason why the AJD program would foreclose a clerkship.


Yea I talked with one of the deans and he said exactly what you are saying re: clerkships and loyola patent fair. He convinced me job opportunities are very similar. I still opted for the traditional program for a couple of reasons:

I did horrible in undergrad because I did a bad job at managing my time. If I place in the same percentile I did in undergrad as I did in law school I won't be getting a job. I think (and hope) I've gotten over that problem, but a 11 week semester that decides my entire career fate isn't a smart bet for me. When I overloaded in undergrad my GPA suffered more than it already did.

I'm not sure if I want patent prosecution/ IP litigation/ some other tech law/ or some other kind of law. I'm thinking of trying out patent prosecution 1L summer if I can to see how it suits me. I think if I were certain exactly what I wanted to do after law school I would do the AJD.

And I have a family commitment that will make starting early a bit more challenging. My brother is coming home from the hospital after a car accident left him paralyzed. I want to help him get adjusted back home. And my family was planning on having me be around until August.

All in all, the AJD program was very tempting to me, but my personal cons outweighed the benefits for me. Under different circumstances I'd have taken it.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Anyone else still doing their financial aid stuff at the very last possible minute? Gosh, I just love writing about why my merit is great enough to earn me cash money.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:14 am

mayosmith wrote:Anyone else still doing their financial aid stuff at the very last possible minute? Gosh, I just love writing about why my merit is great enough to earn me cash money.


I finished NeedAccess and FAFSA a while ago, but I procrastinated on the essays for over a month and just finished Saturday. Unsurprisingly, I couldn't get motivated to write an essay on why I deserve merit aid as an ED acceptance. So glad it's over, though.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:17 am

Essays just submitted. At least that's over!

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:02 pm

Anyone interested in swapping the financial aid essays and doing some quick edits? I could definitely use another pair of eyes to proof-read these before submitting them today.

sparty11
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:06 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby sparty11 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Do you get some sort of email reply when you submit the scholarship and grant application?

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:14 pm

sparty11 wrote:Do you get some sort of email reply when you submit the scholarship and grant application?

I didn't, but then again I submitted everything just today.

User avatar
opus127
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby opus127 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:16 pm

mayosmith wrote:
sparty11 wrote:Do you get some sort of email reply when you submit the scholarship and grant application?

I didn't, but then again I submitted everything just today.


Yes, I got a confirmation e-mail a day or two after I submitted everything. That was a couple weeks ago, though, and I also noticed that NU's twitter feed says something about having e-mail problems today. You might want to check up if you don't hear from them in a day or two.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest