Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
meowmeow
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby meowmeow » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:20 pm

If you cant get on the website then you probably need to call NU bc it should have came in an email that told you to check you status checker that had your acceptance letter

and Yes, the essays made my stomach hurt

Applicant2010
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Applicant2010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:22 pm

meowmeow wrote:If you cant get on the website then you probably need to call NU bc it should have came in an email that told you to check you status checker that had your acceptance letter

and Yes, the essays made my stomach hurt


Thanks!

User avatar
opus127
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby opus127 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 pm

Just a heads up that I received an invitation to join the official NU Law class of 2013 fb page, but the e-mail went to my spam folder.

(I really hope NU can give me enough $$ that I can manage to go there! It's going to be a long wait till March to hear the results of those two little essays.)

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Has anybody called hotels for ASW and figured out what the discount is? The website says certain hotels have discounted NU rates, but is otherwise vague about it.

I'm trying to work up a comparison. My brother will let me use some of his Marriott points for ASW, but none of the Marriott affiliates seem to offer a NU rate. I'm probably still going with a Marriott affiliate unless the NU discount is really amazing.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Anyone put down the deposit yet?

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?
Sent in the confirmation form and said I'd deposit later.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:32 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?
Sent in the confirmation form and said I'd deposit later.


I was thinking of waiting, but my money market is getting 0% right now, so I'm wondering why not now.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?
Sent in the confirmation form and said I'd deposit later.


I was thinking of waiting, but my money market is getting 0% right now, so I'm wondering why not now.
So I can earn .00175% in a crummy BOA account.

User avatar
YellowCake
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:26 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby YellowCake » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:52 pm

NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?
Sent in the confirmation form and said I'd deposit later.


Where did you get a conformation form?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:52 am

Admitted last week, not 100% sure I'm going to NU, but right now it would be hard to beat! I lived in Chicago for a bunch of years and at first kind of assumed I'd end up back in one of my old neighborhoods off the blue line, but now I'm thinking if I do end up at Norhwestern I'll prob want to live near campus, at least for 1L. Unfortunately I don't believe in roommates, and after living in a huge 2-bedroom apartment alone in Chicago, it's going to be rough paying Viagra Triangle prices. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm still ridiculously excited to be in. :D

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:04 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Admitted last week, not 100% sure I'm going to NU, but right now it would be hard to beat! I lived in Chicago for a bunch of years and at first kind of assumed I'd end up back in one of my old neighborhoods off the blue line, but now I'm thinking if I do end up at Norhwestern I'll prob want to live near campus, at least for 1L. Unfortunately I don't believe in roommates, and after living in a huge 2-bedroom apartment alone in Chicago, it's going to be rough paying Viagra Triangle prices. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm still ridiculously excited to be in. :D


2 bedroom by yourself? any special reason?

ncct07
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby ncct07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:52 am

NayBoer wrote:Has anybody called hotels for ASW and figured out what the discount is? The website says certain hotels have discounted NU rates, but is otherwise vague about it.

I'm trying to work up a comparison. My brother will let me use some of his Marriott points for ASW, but none of the Marriott affiliates seem to offer a NU rate. I'm probably still going with a Marriott affiliate unless the NU discount is really amazing.



Hotels.com shows eight hotels within .5 mile of the Water Tower (nearest landmark to NULaw) with rates ranging from $72-$170/night.

User avatar
mayosmith
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby mayosmith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:05 pm

ncct07 wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Has anybody called hotels for ASW and figured out what the discount is? The website says certain hotels have discounted NU rates, but is otherwise vague about it.

I'm trying to work up a comparison. My brother will let me use some of his Marriott points for ASW, but none of the Marriott affiliates seem to offer a NU rate. I'm probably still going with a Marriott affiliate unless the NU discount is really amazing.



Hotels.com shows eight hotels within .5 mile of the Water Tower (nearest landmark to NULaw) with rates ranging from $72-$170/night.

Don't forget the hotel+flight deals on Expedia -- it's showing $344 for a round-trip flight from NYC AND two nights at the "Inn of Chicago" on Ohio.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:56 pm

fl0w wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Admitted last week, not 100% sure I'm going to NU, but right now it would be hard to beat! I lived in Chicago for a bunch of years and at first kind of assumed I'd end up back in one of my old neighborhoods off the blue line, but now I'm thinking if I do end up at Norhwestern I'll prob want to live near campus, at least for 1L. Unfortunately I don't believe in roommates, and after living in a huge 2-bedroom apartment alone in Chicago, it's going to be rough paying Viagra Triangle prices. Sigh.

Anyway, I'm still ridiculously excited to be in. :D


2 bedroom by yourself? any special reason?


It was in my price-range, plus that way I had an extra room for storage and my cats' stuff!

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm

YellowCake wrote:
NayBoer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?
Sent in the confirmation form and said I'd deposit later.


Where did you get a conformation form?
Somewhere on the website, maybe in the admitted students part. It's a 1-page PDF.

ncct07 wrote:Hotels.com shows eight hotels within .5 mile of the Water Tower (nearest landmark to NULaw) with rates ranging from $72-$170/night.
There's a list of hotels nearby on the website, and the list says some of them have special rates for NU. Was being lazy and trying to piggyback if somebody else had gone through the process of identifying all the special rates. But I'll probably just stay at a marriott affiliate so I can use points.

monique522
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby monique522 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:23 am

would anyone mind pm'ing me their essays (with certain identifying items blanked out)? i have no idea what to write for either of those financial aid essays.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:36 am

boo jersey shore wrote:So THIS is where all the kewl kids hang out.


You know it man.

But now that you know it, where are we going to plan our campaign to court you to Northwestern?

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:04 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:So THIS is where all the kewl kids hang out.


Truth

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:19 pm

boo jersey shore wrote:So THIS is where all the kewl kids hang out.


Duh!

User avatar
Drew2010
Posts: 418
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:10 pm

Called the streeter today to find out, out of curiosity, how much a parking spot would cost per month. They had a special going right now where it was $129/month for the length of your lease, but normally it is $265/month. Ouch... gonna have to think long and hard about whether to bring a vehicle up there

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Dignan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:17 pm

HI all! I was accepted yesterday, and I just ventured over to the admitted students web site to check out NU's Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application.

I'm curious about how others are approaching the "...please assess your position for merit aid..." part of the second essay question. My position? Do they want me to talk about my numbers in relation to their medians? Do they want me to disclose what scholarship offers I've already received? In my case, I've received acceptances from higher-ranked schools, and I will not attend NU unless I receive substantial scholarship money. Should I go ahead and say that, or would that be offensive?

It's hard to know with certainty what the right answers are to these questions, but I'd like to hear what others think.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby 09042014 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:18 pm

Dignan wrote:HI all! I was accepted yesterday, and I just ventured over to the admitted students web site to check out NU's Scholarship and Grant Supplemental Application.

I'm curious about how others are approaching the "...please assess your position for merit aid..." part of the second essay question. My position? Do they want me to talk about my numbers in relation to their medians? Do they want me to disclose what scholarship offers I've already received? In my case, I've received acceptances from higher-ranked schools, and I will not attend NU unless I receive substantial scholarship money. Should I go ahead and say that, or would that be offensive?

It's hard to know with certainty what the right answers are to these questions, but I'd like to hear what others think.


Hell if I know. I've been trying to write that essay for a week. I think I'm going to copy past my LSAT score report. My 2.8 GPA makes it hard.

tarvis79
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby tarvis79 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi everybody! Accepted yesterday, and couldn't be happier-NU was my top choice.

I went ahead and disclosed my other scholarship offers for that essay-I think they're just looking for an honest evaluation of how much you deserve a merit scholarship, and I think other schools believing you do is definitely a decent argument.

I'm reading through the thread and trying to answer all the questions that have come up...I'm 24 right now and will turn 25 during Orientation Week. :D

Also, would someone post the link to the facebook group? Thanks, can't wait to meet you folks in person!

User avatar
opus127
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby opus127 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:01 pm

tarvis79 wrote:
Also, would someone post the link to the facebook group? Thanks, can't wait to meet you folks in person!



http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 917&ref=ts

Hope that works!

Desert Fox wrote:Anyone put down the deposit yet?


I'm holding my breath waiting for the grant/scholarship decisions. If things work out on that front, I'll send the deposit right away.

meowmeow
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:45 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:18 am

Did anyone else get an email from NU for USPS tracking. It was sent on 2/15 but when I track it on USPS it doesnt even look like theyve recieved the package from NU. Anyone know what this is? The admitted students package?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest