Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Drew2010

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:If you are looking for cheap living, the streeter is not the building for it. A studio there costs as much as 1 BR in other buildings.

True..

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Ideally I want to find a two bedroom on the cheap but its not going well.

I didn't know about NU discounts and free months.

Anyone know which month of year is optimal for getting the biggest discounts.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Ideally I want to find a two bedroom on the cheap but its not going well.

I didn't know about NU discounts and free months.

Anyone know which month of year is optimal for getting the biggest discounts.

Last summer I was looking for a new place and most places were offering 1.5 to 2 months free rent along with some other concessions (free month of parking, utility fees waived, etc.). I was looking around June/July for a lease beginning in August. I ended up taking a place where the lease started in mid-July because it ended up costing me $20 for all of July rent and included other concessions. I think that the June/July looking for August start tends to be a good time to look because a lot of leases expire in August and they want to keep occupancy high. Also, I used an agent from a real-estate company that set up all the meetings with a bunch of different places and knew all the deals that were being offered which was a big plus.

Regarding finding a two bedroom, maybe it's just me, but it seems like a 2-bed in streeterville is about as expensive as 2 studios or 2 one bedrooms in the area. I am looking at getting a 2 or 3 bedroom a little further north to reduce some costs of living.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Jeez, Streeter looks expensive compared to others on craigslist. You pay a premium for new and close, I guess. It does look really neat and very nice, but I'm not sure I want to take out the debt it would take. And I'd need at least a convertible, if not a full 1BR. Expensive.

What's the deal with all the agents on craigslist? Is it a scam or does it actually work out?

AddyO

Postby AddyO » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:37 pm

Jeez, Streeter looks expensive compared to others on craigslist.

Last year when I look at apartments during ASW, I remember everything seeming cheaper with the deals than the prices you see on craigslists. Like 100-200. I did not look at the Streeter though. Also are we talking about Streeter Place or The Streeter? They are both expensive, but The Streeter is more.

In addition to Craigslist, I found some of the apartments on Youtube. It's really helpful if you can't get to Chicago to look.

cylecat89

Postby cylecat89 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
sparty11 wrote:Does anyone know what numbers you need to be competitive for scholarships/grants? I know that they say it's a case by case deal, but I was wondering if there was any sort of framework in terms of numbers. Also, do ED applicants traditionally get less, since the need to entice us to attend is lessened (or rendered nonexistant) due to our binding ED agreement...

I'm not expecting a penny.

Congrats. Northwestern is my top choice along with University of chicago. im just curious to what your gpa and lsat score was just to know where i need to be aiming.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:51 pm

cylecat89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
sparty11 wrote:Does anyone know what numbers you need to be competitive for scholarships/grants? I know that they say it's a case by case deal, but I was wondering if there was any sort of framework in terms of numbers. Also, do ED applicants traditionally get less, since the need to entice us to attend is lessened (or rendered nonexistant) due to our binding ED agreement...

Congrats. Northwestern is my top choice along with University of chicago. im just curious to what your gpa and lsat score was just to know where i need to be aiming.

2.8/176 applied ED, 2 years work experience.

cylecat89

Postby cylecat89 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
cylecat89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That is a crazy lsat score congrats. Did you take a lsat class? If u dont mind me asking how did you study and for how long? I know northwestern is big on work experience but I definitely am trying to go to law school directly out of ug.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:57 pm

NayBoer wrote:What's the deal with all the agents on craigslist? Is it a scam or does it actually work out?

I used an agent that I found through a friend, but I am pretty sure she had ads on craigslist too (I know at least her company did). It was really helpful. She set up all the showings at various buildings and drove me around to each of them (I was looking at a number of different neighborhoods). It is a free service to the renter because they have deals with the building management that they receive about one month's rent payment as a "finders fee". I ended up finding my current place through her so it worked out well for me.

If you use an agent, just make sure that you are pretty specific about what you want in an apartment (location, size, price range, amenities, etc). If not, you could spend a lot of time looking at places that you have no interest in renting.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:58 pm

cylecat89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
cylecat89 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

That is a crazy lsat score congrats. Did you take a lsat class? If u dont mind me asking how did you study and for how long? I know northwestern is big on work experience but I definitely am trying to go to law school directly out of ug.

No class, read the Powerscore games, LR and RC bibles one. Did every games section from PT 1-30. Then did about 15 PT's starting three weeks before the test. Overall less than two months.

opus127

Postby opus127 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:40 pm

Sorry to ask about this again, but I'd rather appear paranoid here (where I know I'm not the only neurotic one) than annoy the NU admissions office with unnecessary messages.

On 1/22 I got the e-mail to check my status and I learned I've been accepted. (yay!) Since then, the only e-mail I've received from them was a forwarded copy of a message apparently sent earlier in the day on 1/22 saying I'd been admitted and giving info on the admitted students website. (I did not receive this message when they first sent it, and I only got it because I asked about the admitted students login info.)

Is this normal? That first e-mail made reference to other messages (about financial aid, etc), and I want to be sure not to miss anything. (For what it's worth, I check my spam folder regularly. There are some eye-popping messages in there, but nothing from NU.)

Thanks!

sparty11

Postby sparty11 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 pm

how much are we talkin for a streeterville studio? 1B? is parking extra, and if so, how much? just lookin for some ballpark figures...thanks!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:11 am

sparty11 wrote:how much are we talkin for a streeterville studio? 1B? is parking extra, and if so, how much? just lookin for some ballpark figures...thanks!

$1,000 (Onterie, DeWitt 860 studio) to $1,400 (Streeter Place studio). Parking is ridiculous, $200-$300 per month.

sparty11

Postby sparty11 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:55 am

rayiner wrote:
sparty11 wrote:how much are we talkin for a streeterville studio? 1B? is parking extra, and if so, how much? just lookin for some ballpark figures...thanks!

$1,000 (Onterie, DeWitt 860 studio) to $1,400 (Streeter Place studio). Parking is ridiculous, $200-$300 per month.

Dang. that parking is pretty ridic indeed. are ppl just eating that, or not taking a car to the city?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:39 am

sparty11 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

Dang. that parking is pretty ridic indeed. are ppl just eating that, or not taking a car to the city?

a car in the city? you're a student, where are you gonna go, the suburbs? you can certainly get by without a car in chicago. if you need a car there are things called "zip cars" that you can do day rentals on for pretty cheap.

shoot, i'm a consultant (a job requiring fairly regular travel) and half the people that work with me dont have a car.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:00 pm

Is anyone else a little annoyed that we have to write two more essays for financial aid? Didn't I just prove my "merit" for admissions? UGHH I HATE ESSAYS

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:18 pm

meowmeow wrote:Is anyone else a little annoyed that we have to write two more essays for financial aid? Didn't I just prove my "merit" for admissions? UGHH I HATE ESSAYS

Wait, what?

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:20 pm

sparty11 wrote:
rayiner wrote:

I left my car at my parent's house.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:36 pm

mayosmith wrote:
meowmeow wrote:Is anyone else a little annoyed that we have to write two more essays for financial aid? Didn't I just prove my "merit" for admissions? UGHH I HATE ESSAYS

Wait, what?

Once you are admitted, before you can be considered for financial aid you have to do 3 things:
1. FAFSA
2. Need Access
3. NU's own Financial Aid application that requires 2 essays...sigh

mayosmith

Postby mayosmith » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:28 pm

meowmeow wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

Wait, what?

Once you are admitted, before you can be considered for financial aid you have to do 3 things:
1. FAFSA
2. Need Access

Thanks for the info. I assume NU forgot to include me on the email about their own financial aid forms..just like they forgot to send the admit website stuff to a lot of us.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:32 pm

mayosmith wrote:
meowmeow wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

Wait, what?

1. FAFSA
2. Need Access

Thanks for the info. I assume NU forgot to include me on the email about their own financial aid forms..just like they forgot to send the admit website stuff to a lot of us.

Its not in any email, you have to go onto the admitted students website and look through the information yourself

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:38 pm

meowmeow wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

Wait, what?

1. FAFSA
2. Need Access

Whoa, what? I didn't even apply to Penn because I didn't want to write an extra essay. Lame sauce.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:48 pm

Kretzy wrote:
meowmeow wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

Wait, what?

1. FAFSA
2. Need Access

Whoa, what? I didn't even apply to Penn because I didn't want to write an extra essay. Lame sauce.

Lame sauce is right.

Plus how the hell am I going to write an essay about my merit when I have a 2.8 gpa?

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:01 pm

meowmeow wrote:
mayosmith wrote:

Wait, what?

1. FAFSA
2. Need Access

I really need to get on that...

Applicant2010

Postby Applicant2010 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:08 pm

How do you get on the Admitted Students Site? I was not emailed any information.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”