Northwestern Law Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
NayBoer

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2013

Postby NayBoer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:49 pm

I didn't have to know anything re my parents except whether they helped me. And I think it did ask me for some 2009 info, like AGI and salary/wage/tips income. Only did it for NU and nobody has claimed me as a dependent for several years.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:54 pm

NayBoer wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
NayBoer wrote:I sort of assumed that the loan would be sufficient income to get approved. I don't know the exact mechanics of it, but it must work.

Most places should allow you to show your financial aid award letter as proof of income.
Actually, I used my job offer letter to get my last apartment. So I should've thought of this.

I actually just called a place (the streeter) and they told me that we could just an offer letter for my wife and my fin aid paperwork to get approved. Also, they will allow both my dogs, which makes me feel so much more comfortable about the move. Although the prospect of finding my wife employment ITE from FL with a future start date is pretty intimidating to both of us.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

NayBoer wrote:I didn't have to know anything re my parents except whether they helped me. And I think it did ask me for some 2009 info, like AGI and salary/wage/tips income. Only did it for NU and nobody has claimed me as a dependent for several years.

maybe all that stuff was a result of me having multiple schools then. i'll try w/ dummy data and just northwestern to see what happens.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:56 pm

meowmeow wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm trying to keep my rent as low as possible. In streeterville that doesn't seem very likely. Even 2 BR are expensive when divided in two. I'm not sure how I feel about roommates.

true, but I think 1L year will be stressful enough with having to worry about a commute to class/library/gym

YeaH I agree...plus have you SEEN streeter ! LOl, I was sold when I saw the resistance pool and a massage place. I am goingto call and see if they will offer any discount for NU students.... I need a roomate though and I like animals

Let me know if they offer a discount.. that would be pretty awesome

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:58 pm

fl0w wrote:
NayBoer wrote:I didn't have to know anything re my parents except whether they helped me. And I think it did ask me for some 2009 info, like AGI and salary/wage/tips income. Only did it for NU and nobody has claimed me as a dependent for several years.

maybe all that stuff was a result of me having multiple schools then. i'll try w/ dummy data and just northwestern to see what happens.

yep lucky you if you only had to do it for northwestern. nice and simple. just 2010 estimates and no parent info required. i did it with dummy data to confirm

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
meowmeow wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm trying to keep my rent as low as possible. In streeterville that doesn't seem very likely. Even 2 BR are expensive when divided in two. I'm not sure how I feel about roommates.

true, but I think 1L year will be stressful enough with having to worry about a commute to class/library/gym

YeaH I agree...plus have you SEEN streeter ! LOl, I was sold when I saw the resistance pool and a massage place. I am goingto call and see if they will offer any discount for NU students.... I need a roomate though and I like animals

Let me know if they offer a discount.. that would be pretty awesome

I know alot of them give discount for U of Chi but if they dont for NU im gonna be mad!!

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 pm

NayBoer wrote:Is it at all plausible to sign a lease in April when I won't occupy until August? I've never done an apartment that early, but I'm hoping that some of the larger buildings will have enough planned vacancies or will be so used to NU students that it will happen.

My girlfriend and I are probably coming during ASW and will look around for places. I'm assuming nothing will be available to lease that we won't occupy for 4 months, but maybe we can see a similar unit and handle the lease over fax/phone.

In my experience, in the Chicago area (especially at high-rise rental buildings,) the longest you typically sign a lease in advance of your move-in date is about 60 days. A lot of the high-rises in Streeterville will have model units that they can show you so you can get an idea of size and layout rather than just looking at a floor plan.

Also, you can find some better deals if you look in mid-summer because a large number of rentals in the city become available in August/September and the property managers don't want to lose a month or two of rent due to vacancy. Typical deals you can find during this time end up being one to two months of free rent annualized over the term of the lease. So I would definitely recommend asking around to see when/if those deals are available.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:33 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:

Yea I'm pretty set on living in streeterville for 1L. I'm just coming to terms with having to pay 1000 a month for a small studio.

I'm looking for the cheapest place that isn't a rats nest.

have you looked through the list of places on the admitted students website? on the facebook group one of the students said that they take us to visit some of them during the ASW

Yea I've looked. I could easily start taking tours now since I work in Chicago already. I'm actually in streeterville very frequently.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I looked about 1000 times and couldn't figure out where it wanted 2009 data. I just concluded they'd get that data from Fafsa.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm

D-hops wrote:
NayBoer wrote:Is it at all plausible to sign a lease in April when I won't occupy until August? I've never done an apartment that early, but I'm hoping that some of the larger buildings will have enough planned vacancies or will be so used to NU students that it will happen.

My girlfriend and I are probably coming during ASW and will look around for places. I'm assuming nothing will be available to lease that we won't occupy for 4 months, but maybe we can see a similar unit and handle the lease over fax/phone.

In my experience, in the Chicago area (especially at high-rise rental buildings,) the longest you typically sign a lease in advance of your move-in date is about 60 days. A lot of the high-rises in Streeterville will have model units that they can show you so you can get an idea of size and layout rather than just looking at a floor plan.

Also, you can find some better deals if you look in mid-summer because a large number of rentals in the city become available in August/September and the property managers don't want to lose a month or two of rent due to vacancy. Typical deals you can find during this time end up being one to two months of free rent annualized over the term of the lease. So I would definitely recommend asking around to see when/if those deals are available.
Thanks, good advice. So you're saying that signing in June or July is a good idea because there are sometimes deals? Sounds neat.

I think a model unit is probably what's going to happen. Originally I imagined two distinct trips to Chicago, one for ASW and in June to find a place. But it's probably more practical to see a model unit and sign via fax. Trying to save money and another flight to Chicago is a burden I'd like to avoid.

Desert Fox wrote:

I looked about 1000 times and couldn't figure out where it wanted 2009 data. I just concluded they'd get that data from Fafsa.
I'm almost positive they asked for my AGI and W2 income, both of which I have now temporarily memorized. They also asked for income from rents, dividends and interest.

AGI is kind of like your LSAT score for real life.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:28 pm

NayBoer wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Thanks, good advice. So you're saying that signing in June or July is a good idea because there are sometimes deals? Sounds neat.

I think a model unit is probably what's going to happen. Originally I imagined two distinct trips to Chicago, one for ASW and in June to find a place. But it's probably more practical to see a model unit and sign via fax. Trying to save money and another flight to Chicago is a burden I'd like to avoid.

Desert Fox wrote:

I'm almost positive they asked for my AGI and W2 income, both of which I have now temporarily memorized. They also asked for income from rents, dividends and interest.

AGI is kind of like your LSAT score for real life.

I just relooked, and it only says 2010. I was confused and originally put in my 2009 tax info, but changed it.

AddyO

Postby AddyO » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:43 pm

In reference to housing and deals. I went to the ASW last year and we went on tours of many of the apartments in the area. I didn't have time to see all of them, but I saw McClurg, and Onterie. Others also saw Streeter Place which was more expensive than McClurg and Onterie. There was one more I think, but I can't remember. And they offered special deals for NU students :). I thinking about McClurg or Streeter Place (if they have a good deal during ASW. Its more expensive but the parking is cheaper if i decide to bring my car and it includes internet and cable.) Otherwise, McClurg for me.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 pm

For anyone that has ever lived in a high rise:

Some of the streeter one bedrooms have little patios... do you think I could put a gas grill out there?

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:47 pm

Drew2010 wrote:For anyone that has ever lived in a high rise:

Some of the streeter one bedrooms have little patios... do you think I could put a gas grill out there?

Check with the building management but most high rises with balconies in Chicago do allow gas grills.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

D-hops wrote:

Check with the building management but most high rises with balconies in Chicago do allow gas grills.

I am a very happy man

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
D-hops wrote:

I am a very happy man

If I have a patio, I'll buy a tiny Weber char grill.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Has anyone else tried to call the streeter? everytime I call I get the voicemail immediatley and I hate leaving messages bc no one actually calls me back

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
If I have a patio, I'll buy a tiny Weber char grill.

Gas is just so convenient... I think I'll invest in a good brand, small full size gas grill.. I'm tired of cooking on my $80 walmart gas grill. I would love a grill that cooks more even, so I don't have to move things around as much as I do currently..

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:13 pm

meowmeow wrote:Has anyone else tried to call the streeter? everytime I call I get the voicemail immediatley and I hate leaving messages bc no one actually calls me back

Ya I called yesterday to ask about dogs and got right through. Guess you have just been having bad luck.. you're calling to ask about an NU student discount?

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:47 pm

got through...NU students do get discounts and its two blocks from NU.. Just fell lin love with the one bedroom... How is everybody else paying fot housing? Just through loans? It doesnt seem like its enough to be able to afford streeter...

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:48 pm

meowmeow wrote:got through...NU students do get discounts and its two blocks from NU.. Just fell lin love with the one bedroom... How is everybody else paying fot housing? Just through loans? It doesnt seem like its enough to be able to afford streeter...

How much is the discount.

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
meowmeow wrote:got through...NU students do get discounts and its two blocks from NU.. Just fell lin love with the one bedroom... How is everybody else paying fot housing? Just through loans? It doesnt seem like its enough to be able to afford streeter...

+1

Also.. I'll be able to afford it because of the GI Bill.. but I'm an anomaly

Edit: Although I may end up saving some money and just going with a studio. However the idea of having a patio so I can grill is pretty tempting.

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

Edit: Although I may end up saving some money and just going with a studio. However the idea of having a patio so I can grill is pretty tempting.

We get no application fees or move in fees (ps all utilities except electric is included including cable and internet)

Depending on when you sign up you can get 1-2 months rent free.

I looked at my budget for a one bedroom and Id only have like 450 a month to live one...I am not sure I would be able to do that being in chicago and my addiction to shopping. I REALLY dont want a studio. I lived in one for all of undergrad. I would like a room where I can shut the door... (sigh)

Drew2010

Postby Drew2010 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm

meowmeow wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

We get no application fees or move in fees (ps all utilities except electric is included including cable and internet)

I looked at my budget for a one bedroom and Id only have like 450 a month to live one...I am not sure I would be able to do that being in chicago and my addiction to shopping. I REALLY dont want a studio. I lived in one for all of undergrad. I would like a room where I can shut the door... (sigh)

Well, you could try and find someone to split a 2 bedroom with.. I can understand how that would maybe be difficult/frustrating though

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:01 pm

meowmeow wrote:
Drew2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

If you are looking for cheap living, the streeter is not the building for it. A studio there costs as much as 1 BR in other buildings.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”