UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:56 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:So last night I ran into a large contingent of people who I went to high school with and during all of the "hey how are you, what are you up to now?" conversation I kept telling everyone that I was headed to UVA in the fall for law school. I guess I officially belong here now.

When I did that, they asked me 'Isn't that a... public school?' Now I just say I'm in law school. If pressured, I say I'm at William & Mary.

:lol: After DarTTTmouth I guess dropping down to UVA for law school would be a step in the wrong direction. I guess I have Georgetown to fall back on. Lay prestige, ftw!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:So last night I ran into a large contingent of people who I went to high school with and during all of the "hey how are you, what are you up to now?" conversation I kept telling everyone that I was headed to UVA in the fall for law school. I guess I officially belong here now.

When I did that, they asked me 'Isn't that a... public school?' Now I just say I'm in law school. If pressured, I say I'm at William & Mary.

:lol: After DarTTTmouth I guess dropping down to UVA for law school would be a step in the wrong direction. I guess I have Georgetown to fall back on. Lay prestige, ftw!

I kept telling people back home I went to UVA because I wanted to work in DC when I graduated and GULC waitlisted me. Which was technically true, and saved me from having to explain over and over again what makes UVA better than Georgetown to people who are confident and argumentative about Georgetown's awesomeness.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:00 pm

Postby 02082010 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Most of the people from my high school and our sister school went to Ivies, top private schools/LACs and top publics. So everyone knows how good Michigan, UVA, Berkeley are.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:24 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I know I tell this tale a lot on TLS, but: A lot of people I know in NC think that Campbell (T4 "Christian" law school in NC) is as good as UVA. Every now and then, people question me as to why I would choose UVA over Campbell (and I didn't even apply to Campbell).

as a north carolinian, this makes me weep

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:08 am

dgouzoul wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:When I did that, they asked me 'Isn't that a... public school?' Now I just say I'm in law school. If pressured, I say I'm at William & Mary.

I know I tell this tale a lot on TLS, but: A lot of people I know in NC think that Campbell (T4 "Christian" law school in NC) is as good as UVA. Every now and then, people question me as to why I would choose UVA over Campbell (and I didn't even apply to Campbell).

as a north carolinian, this makes me weep

Living in Columbus, Ohio I have had to explain why I chose UVA over Capital. Everyone in this city knows somebody who went to Capital so they assume its the creme de la creme.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:10 am

Doritos wrote:Living in Columbus, Ohio I have had to explain why I chose UVA over Capital. Everyone in this city knows somebody who went to Capital so they assume its the creme de la creme.

Just to fully illustrate the point... WTF is Capital?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:18 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Doritos wrote:Living in Columbus, Ohio I have had to explain why I chose UVA over Capital. Everyone in this city knows somebody who went to Capital so they assume its the creme de la creme.

Just to fully illustrate the point... WTF is Capital?

Tier 4 powerhouse. It's so good TLS didn't bother to make a profile for it.

LSlobbyist

Postby LSlobbyist » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:17 am

Shrug. Don't really care about impressing random people. Do care about getting a fantastic job after graduation and high quality of life while attending law school.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 am

I've never understood this sentiment. Everyone also knows somebody who went to the local TTT university, but no one pretends it's creme de la creme.

vanwinkle wrote:Just to fully illustrate the point... WTF is Capital?

T4 law school in Columbus, the "other law school" behind T1 Ohio State.
Last edited by im_blue on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:18 am

LSlobbyist wrote:Shrug. Don't really care about impressing random people. Do care about getting a fantastic job after graduation and high quality of life while attending law school.

You are UVA's target audience.

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:07 am

Anyone out there looking for a roommate and want to live in Ivy? I'm a 25 year old guy but I've had female roommates before without any problems so I'm ok with guys or girls. PM me if you're interested and we can talk about philosophies and interests.

Now I'm off to claim my reward for flying 50 hours in the last 4 days...110" of fresh powder! :mrgreen:

--ImageRemoved--

Congrats to everyone that's been admitted - looking forward to meeting ya'll at ASW. Have a great rest of the weekend!

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm

Even here in Virginia, UVA's prestige is undervalued by lay people. I constantly get questions about why I didn't apply to Richmond or why I would ever choose UVA over Georgetown.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:57 pm

wackjickham wrote:Even here in Virginia, UVA's prestige is undervalued by lay people. I constantly get questions about why I didn't apply to Richmond or why I would ever choose UVA over Georgetown.

Because the in-state people who attend typically aren't as intelligent as the people from OOS. Isn't their acceptance rate (for UG) of OOS kids like ~8%? But since they have to take 40% or so from in-state it's not as prestigious to those in the state.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:05 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
wackjickham wrote:Even here in Virginia, UVA's prestige is undervalued by lay people. I constantly get questions about why I didn't apply to Richmond or why I would ever choose UVA over Georgetown.

Because the in-state people who attend typically aren't as intelligent as the people from OOS. Isn't their acceptance rate (for UG) of OOS kids like ~8%? But since they have to take 40% or so from in-state it's not as prestigious to those in the state.

I don't know where your talking about. But the tristate area (including NOVA) know what UVA is. Also, the acceptance rate I think is higher for out of state students. People that go to UVA that are instate are pretty smart... it's nto that much of a difference.

Postby 02082010 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:10 pm

Columbus guys, I'm from Ohio as well and I went to Michigan UG. I get a lot of shit for that but then I just remind people OSU is TTT.

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:50 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Columbus guys, I'm from Ohio as well and I went to Michigan UG. I get a lot of shit for that but then I just remind people OSU is TTT.

Word up, fellow wolverine here, osu is a dump

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:06 pm

avacado111 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:

I don't know where your talking about. But the tristate area (including NOVA) know what UVA is. Also, the acceptance rate I think is higher for out of state students. People that go to UVA that are instate are pretty smart... it's nto that much of a difference.

Not that people in Virginia don't know it's a good law school, they just don't realize it's T10. And yeah, it's not all that much easier to get in to UVA UG in-state than out of state (Though it is somewhat easier, and I could be wrong about this.)

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 pm

lilspainishflea wrote:Anyone out there looking for a roommate and want to live in Ivy? I'm a 25 year old guy but I've had female roommates before without any problems so I'm ok with guys or girls. PM me if you're interested and we can talk about philosophies and interests.

Now I'm off to claim my reward for flying 50 hours in the last 4 days...110" of fresh powder! :mrgreen:

--ImageRemoved--

Congrats to everyone that's been admitted - looking forward to meeting ya'll at ASW. Have a great rest of the weekend!

Where are you going? Be careful if you're going in the backcountry - the snowpack this season has been awful (serious amounts of depth hoar).

Kat86

Postby Kat86 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:55 pm

If anyone is looking for a sublease for the summer my roommate and I are both leaving town, we live in Ivy Gardens, we will be leaving the apartment fully furnished (we're staying here next year). Very reasonable price. PM me if you are interested.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Columbus guys, I'm from Ohio as well and I went to Michigan UG. I get a lot of shit for that but then I just remind people OSU is TTT.

I got a friend who went to high school with me who went to Michigan UG and is in law school there too. Loves it. OSU was a good time but I regret not taking my good SAT score, high GPA and URM status to an ivy for undergrad but hey, whaddayagonnado? UVA will fill my heart with prestige and personal validation.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Hai guys. Got accepted to the new late ED, so I'll be joining you all!

frix0803

Postby frix0803 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Hai guys. Got accepted to the new late ED, so I'll be joining you all!

Congrats!

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:27 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:Hai guys. Got accepted to the new late ED, so I'll be joining you all!

Congrats. Look forward to meeting you in the fall

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:45 pm

BTW... I don't really know how to throw... so you guys aren't going to want me on your softball team lol.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”