UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:54 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:I would like to clerk (CoA) immediately after graduation and then do litigation (biglaw or boutique) for long enough so that I can pay off loans, bank my (future) kids college tuition, and amass some $$ before heading to the DoJ or USAO. That career trajectory would be FTW in my opinion.

That sounds like my ideal career path also, except I'm gonna leave out the law firm part and try to go straight to the DOJ. :D

If your eventual goal is DOJ or USAO, then you'll want to get your hands dirty in as much corporate stuff as you can. That will help you because 1) that'll help you get the BigLaw job you want to start out with and 2) set you up to be an ideal candidate for some of the prestigious white-collar crime division jobs, like USAO SDNY. The USAO divisions that deal heavily in white-collar crime tend to hire people with a few years corporate experience since they're the ones that understand the corporate laws that are being broken in their big federal fraud/antitrust/etc. trials. You may also want to do some criminal work while you're in law school (a prosecution clinic, or a prosecutor internship your 1L summer) to show the USAO you know what you want and you've already tasted it.

Clerkship will definitely help with your end goals too. Some of the most prestigious firms tend to only bother with people who've done prestigious federal clerkships or other really interesting intellect-proving things.

So, what you need to focus on is 1) corporate law and BigLaw placement, and 2) clerkship opportunities. Given those I'd say Chicago is probably 1st for you and UVA is probably a close 2nd. However, I strongly encourage you talk to all those schools about those goals and see what they tell you.

heathbar88

Postby heathbar88 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:57 pm

heathbar88 wrote:Should I be trying to secure housing now or will I be fine if I wait until the March or April ASW?

Seems like people were talking about being on a waiting list at the Jeffersonian a few pages back, so that answers my question. (Also Ivy Gardens said to send a housing application ASAP) Any other females looking for a rommie in Ivy Gardens?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:07 pm

heathbar88 wrote:
heathbar88 wrote:Should I be trying to secure housing now or will I be fine if I wait until the March or April ASW?

Seems like people were talking about being on a waiting list at the Jeffersonian a few pages back, so that answers my question. (Also Ivy Gardens said to send a housing application ASAP) Any other females looking for a rommie in Ivy Gardens?

My understanding is that Jeffersonian will fill up quickly (already has, really), and that other "prime" location spots will fill up quickly as well. But you should be able to find housing into April and beyond, if you're willing to live a bit further from campus. A current UVA student can correct me if I've understood incorrectly.

heathbar88

Postby heathbar88 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:16 pm

I have heard that it shouldn't be hard to find an apt sometime in the Spring , but I would definitely prefer to live at Ivy Gardens.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:27 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:I would like to clerk (CoA) immediately after graduation and then do litigation (biglaw or boutique) for long enough so that I can pay off loans, bank my (future) kids college tuition, and amass some $$ before heading to the DoJ or USAO. That career trajectory would be FTW in my opinion.

That sounds like my ideal career path also, except I'm gonna leave out the law firm part and try to go straight to the DOJ. :D

If your eventual goal is DOJ or USAO, then you'll want to get your hands dirty in as much corporate stuff as you can. That will help you because 1) that'll help you get the BigLaw job you want to start out with and 2) set you up to be an ideal candidate for some of the prestigious white-collar crime division jobs, like USAO SDNY. The USAO divisions that deal heavily in white-collar crime tend to hire people with a few years corporate experience since they're the ones that understand the corporate laws that are being broken in their big federal fraud/antitrust/etc. trials. You may also want to do some criminal work while you're in law school (a prosecution clinic, or a prosecutor internship your 1L summer) to show the USAO you know what you want and you've already tasted it.

Clerkship will definitely help with your end goals too. Some of the most prestigious firms tend to only bother with people who've done prestigious federal clerkships or other really interesting intellect-proving things.

So, what you need to focus on is 1) corporate law and BigLaw placement, and 2) clerkship opportunities. Given those I'd say Chicago is probably 1st for you and UVA is probably a close 2nd. However, I strongly encourage you talk to all those schools about those goals and see what they tell you.

I think its worth mentioning that a good crim background is also useful for USAO's and many AUSA's are former ADA's - sure a lot deal with white collar matters, but there's a hell of a lot of non-white collar matters . . . Further, they still deal with criminal procedure . . . Enforcement division of SEC is a different matter however . . . Also, don't go on the corporate side, go on the litigation side of a firm if you want to do USAO later!

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:49 am

YCrevolution wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah TLS works for roommates fine. Dorito and I played phone tag for about 10 days, but it finally worked out. Also, I stopped by to post this:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/ ... 909/week-9

Things are looking up for UVA hoops. The recruiting has been solid the last few years and ACC means there will be at least 5 good home games a year. I go to Pitt right now so I'm a college hoops guy. Does anyone know what the student section is like at UVA?

They're pretty energetic except during the middle of winter break games against mediocre teams. I've been to the Texas-Pan American game and the Georgia Tech game this year. That said, I'm under the distinct impression that, despite the lottery system for student tickets (1 automatic point + points for games you've attended), students can almost always get tickets to games.

I'm waiting for when UNC plays at JPJ here next year. I'd also like to point out something to all of the Carolina fans:
Virginia: 11-4 (3-0), #1 in the ACC
North Carolina: 12-6 (1-2), #8 in the ACC

Does it work the same way with football games?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:05 pm

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:09 pm

Looks like March 19 and April 9 for ASWs.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:11 pm

get the asw invite?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 pm

Here are the details for reimbursements:

--LinkRemoved--

Looks like I'll be there April 8th and 9th.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:18 pm

wtf. the travel subsides are so less this year. It's 0 in VA.

I guess the econ. really, really, sucks...

Oh well!!!

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:25 pm

Link to ASW thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104631

Come join me. I'm curious what you'll all be doing for lodging.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 pm

I've been trying to figure out my budget for life on student loans. Since I'm #9 on the Jeffersonian waitlist, I'll probably be there, so I'm basing my budget on that. The website says they have internet included in the apartments. Has anyone heard if the provided internet works well or if residents end up getting their own internet?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:41 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:42 pm

UVA Law wrote:We understand that a decision about where to attend law school can affect more than just an admitted student. However, space at Open House sessions is reserved for admitted students only. Your guests (such as parents and significant others) should not attend programmatic events, but are welcome to tour the facilities and relax in any of our public spaces. Guests also are welcome to attend the "Parents and Partners" session, which runs concurrently with the student life panel and begins at 4 p.m.

Haha, that definitely sounds like a response to last year. (from their website's information on guests)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:43 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah TLS works for roommates fine. Dorito and I played phone tag for about 10 days, but it finally worked out. Also, I stopped by to post this:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/notebook/_/page/ ... 909/week-9

Things are looking up for UVA hoops. The recruiting has been solid the last few years and ACC means there will be at least 5 good home games a year. I go to Pitt right now so I'm a college hoops guy. Does anyone know what the student section is like at UVA?

They're pretty energetic except during the middle of winter break games against mediocre teams. I've been to the Texas-Pan American game and the Georgia Tech game this year. That said, I'm under the distinct impression that, despite the lottery system for student tickets (1 automatic point + points for games you've attended), students can almost always get tickets to games.

I'm waiting for when UNC plays at JPJ here next year. I'd also like to point out something to all of the Carolina fans:
Virginia: 11-4 (3-0), #1 in the ACC
North Carolina: 12-6 (1-2), #8 in the ACC

I haven't gone to a football game, but all you need to do is show up with your student ID (no lottery system). In theory, if the student section fills up, they'll stop admitting students (unless they have a paid ticket), but I don't think it ever fills up.

Good deal.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:32 pm

I haven't gone to a football game, but all you need to do is show up with your student ID (no lottery system). In theory, if the student section fills up, they'll stop admitting students (unless they have a paid ticket), but I don't think it ever fills up.

Good deal.

I can tell you that on the record setting attendance day - the UVA USC (so cal) game a couple years ago, no students had problems getting in . . . because of the "Hill" (the grass area on the west side of the stadium), there's no 'seat limit' for students
fixed quote
Last edited by vamedic03 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:11 pm

When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:16 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.

Not sure, since I was admitted after the form was due last year.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:20 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:When do we get access to the additional form UVA needs for financial aid? I filled out the FAFSA and on the UVA website it says they also require the Institutional Financial something or other. I assume it's a form that only they use. I tried calling the financial aid office twice today but it just rang and rang and then went to voicemail.

That's an online thing you fill out on SIS. You need an SIS login password; you'll get a temporary login/password as an admitted student, it'll be way at the bottom of one of your E-mails where you don't notice it until someone else comments they got their login and you ask them and they point out to you where in the E-mail it was, if it's anything like last year.

I love UVA but I'm not a fan of the way they handle some things. The communication with admitted/attending students could be a bit better. In any case once you get that E-mail you should be able to login to SIS and fill out that online form.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

I love UVA but I'm not a fan of the way they handle some things.

Like grades!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Postby 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

That's an online thing you fill out on SIS. You need an SIS login password; you'll get a temporary login/password as an admitted student, it'll be way at the bottom of one of your E-mails where you don't notice it until someone else comments they got their login and you ask them and they point out to you where in the E-mail it was, if it's anything like last year.

I love UVA but I'm not a fan of the way they handle some things. The communication with admitted/attending students could be a bit better. In any case once you get that E-mail you should be able to login to SIS and fill out that online form.

Would we have gotten that email already?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:43 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Would we have gotten that email already?

I sure haven't received it and I was admitted early last month. I have been eagerly expecting it

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”