UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
thepunisher24

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do if you don't mind sharing?

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
ogman05 wrote:

I'm also in this position. Not even sure when I would want to leave yet. Anyone have any idea how long they are planning to continue working nad plans for over the summer? One of my coworkers jokingly asked the other day if I got into Cornell yet. I said something like that but I'm not leaving for anything but T10 for sure. Only if he knew. haha

I think I'll leave around June and go to Thailand or somewhere for a month.

Not being able to share it with your coworkers is weird. Two people at my office know because I got LORs from them, but I asked them to keep it under wraps. It's funny because some of the people here working on MBA's ask me when I'm going to get mine and I say "I haven't really thought about it." One girl finishing her mba was talking to me about getting a jd "for fun" and said "I guess your just going to watch TV huh?" when I answered "nothing right now" to her query about my future educational plans.

Very true. My boss actually did one of my recs but I talked about staying unless admitted to a T10. I havent said anything about UVA as of yet. I ordered him an engraved executive pen and waiting to hear from SEO before I tell him so I cangive a more accurate end date. Definitely weird though. My company did a lot of lay offs last year so maybe they won't miss me too much.

slider

Postby slider » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:40 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:
I haven't even joined the group yet. I'm friends with alot of co-workers on fbook and have been trying to keep my departure from the firm under wraps. It's been tough, to say the least...especially considering I got the call from admissions with my Manager looking over my shoulder helping me out with something on my computer.

I told him..."Uhhh, I have to take this call." Left the room, came back a few minutes later (visibly shaken), ended up making up some BS about a health issue in the family. I had to leave the audit room again not even 30 seconds later because I didn't even remember to call my family/close friends and tell them the news.

I'm in a similar situation.

It sucks, it's like you have this huge news that you're excited about and can't tell the people that you (sadly) spend the majority of your waking hours with.

I recently placed this "information" with several people so that it would slowly trickle it's way to the top. It's really tough trying to balance your personal goals with the goals of the firm while not pissing anyone off. I've made some great contacts in my time here and I'm doing all I can to maintain them throughout this whole process. A couple weeks ago at a year-end dinner/celebration, my Senior Manager approaches me, "So I hear you're applying to law school..."

All they know right now is that I'm "still waiting to hear back, which could take months" and I "won't leave the firm for anything less than a T10 school."

I'm also in this position. Not even sure when I would want to leave yet. Anyone have any idea how long they are planning to continue working nad plans for over the summer? One of my coworkers jokingly asked the other day if I got into Cornell yet. I said something like that but I'm not leaving for anything but T10 for sure. Only if he knew. haha

Well I'm in a bit of a unique situation, but I'll probably stay "employed" through September if this is possible. I need to get some clarification on this, but I think I need to fulfill my hourly requirement for my CPA license over a full two year period, I'm not sure though. I'll have enough PTO saved that I'll be able to "quit" in early August, but still be employed through my two-year deadline.

Edit: I screwed up the quoting.

Edit #2: It's still screwed up. I don't know how to fix it.

Mod edit: Fixed the quotes, but I was too lazy to figure out who said what.

Is this the work experience requirement? I do not believe VA has work experience requirement. You could sit for CPA and register in the state of VA. Your work as an attorney may qualify for w/e requirement if you wish to license in another state after you graduate.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do if you don't mind sharing?

I work in the Aerospace industry. I'm an Quality assurance analyst/planner in materials. Guess that sums up the position. I want to take at least two weeks off at some point and go somewhere exotic with the SO and kid. I'll see how that works out. Have to pay the bills too, you know. :wink:

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:03 pm

slider wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:
I haven't even joined the group yet. I'm friends with alot of co-workers on fbook and have been trying to keep my departure from the firm under wraps. It's been tough, to say the least...especially considering I got the call from admissions with my Manager looking over my shoulder helping me out with something on my computer.

I told him..."Uhhh, I have to take this call." Left the room, came back a few minutes later (visibly shaken), ended up making up some BS about a health issue in the family. I had to leave the audit room again not even 30 seconds later because I didn't even remember to call my family/close friends and tell them the news.

I'm in a similar situation.

It sucks, it's like you have this huge news that you're excited about and can't tell the people that you (sadly) spend the majority of your waking hours with.

I recently placed this "information" with several people so that it would slowly trickle it's way to the top. It's really tough trying to balance your personal goals with the goals of the firm while not pissing anyone off. I've made some great contacts in my time here and I'm doing all I can to maintain them throughout this whole process. A couple weeks ago at a year-end dinner/celebration, my Senior Manager approaches me, "So I hear you're applying to law school..."

All they know right now is that I'm "still waiting to hear back, which could take months" and I "won't leave the firm for anything less than a T10 school."

Well I'm in a bit of a unique situation, but I'll probably stay "employed" through September if this is possible. I need to get some clarification on this, but I think I need to fulfill my hourly requirement for my CPA license over a full two year period, I'm not sure though. I'll have enough PTO saved that I'll be able to "quit" in early August, but still be employed through my two-year deadline.

Edit: I screwed up the quoting.

Edit #2: It's still screwed up. I don't know how to fix it.

Mod edit: Fixed the quotes, but I was too lazy to figure out who said what.

Is this the work experience requirement? I do not believe VA has work experience requirement. You could sit for CPA and register in the state of VA. Your work as an attorney may qualify for w/e requirement if you wish to license in another state after you graduate.

Yes, in PA it is until this year (or next, can't remember which). It's kind of strange how the requirements are different for each state, yet the test from state to state does not differ at all. If I had sat for the NJ test, I would have only needed one year, but 150 credits - with a certain amount of these credits in Auditing/Accounting/etc.

And you're probably right, my work as an attorney might qualify. It would just be easier to get it out of the way now as I will have to get my hours vouched for upon completion and application. Also, it will be nice to be earning a paycheck even during the first couple weeks of school :)

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:07 pm

ogman05 wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do if you don't mind sharing?

I work in the Aerospace industry. I'm an Quality assurance analyst/planner in materials. Guess that sums up the position. I want to take at least two weeks off at some point and go somewhere exotic with the SO and kid. I'll see how that works out. Have to pay the bills too, you know. :wink:

Sounds like alot more fun than public auditing :P

Take some time off, enjoy your family while you can. The money will come, the bills will get paid. They always do ;)

(easy for me to say, I don't have a SO/kid to pay for)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:09 pm

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm

I'm a "business analyst" in the energy biz.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:Also, it will be nice to be earning a paycheck even during the first couple weeks of school :)

You need to be careful about ABA requirements on not "working" during school. I think they limit law students to 20 hours per week, and UVA suggests (and might require) even less hours or not working at all during 1L year.

Yeah, I'll have to look into that. In all reality I'll be collecting my paycheck either way, it would just be a payout of my accrued vacation time.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:46 pm

avacado111 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Those profiles were very amusing.

+1

lol.

I would not have a couple of people on there... There are some peeps that are awesome and some whose activities seem to be "eh" as in normal...

oh well it's an interesting read.

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm one of the ones profiled (David Rosales :wink: ). And yeah, I'd say I'm pretty normal. I haven't been working on a cure for cancer or anything like that. Though, I've gotta admit, I should have gotten a better camera to take that picture with.

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 pm

jdavid901 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

+1

lol.

I would not have a couple of people on there... There are some peeps that are awesome and some whose activities seem to be "eh" as in normal...

I'm not afraid to admit that I'm one of the ones profiled (David Rosales :wink: ). And yeah, I'd say I'm pretty normal. I haven't been working on a cure for cancer or anything like that. Though, I've gotta admit, I should have gotten a better camera to take that picture with.

Hi David :)
I'm normal too... lol. At least your normalness made it to the UVA page... whereas... mine didn't :(

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:54 pm

avacado111 wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

+1

lol.

I'm normal too... lol. At least your normalness made it to the UVA page... whereas... mine didn't :(

I'm not sure exactly if UVA was trying to pick the most, say, 'amazing' people for these profiles. Maybe they wanted to pick different students, each of whom add a unique piece to the puzzle and who together as a whole do a nice job of reflecting the entire incoming student body.
Last edited by whattodo2008 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 pm

avacado111 wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:
avacado111 wrote:

+1

lol.

Hi :)

Don't know what their selection process was, but I think it was random for mine, if that makes you feel any better.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:34 pm

jdavid901 wrote:Don't know what their selection process was, but I think it was random for mine, if that makes you feel any better.

I would imagine that the selection criteria was having something in your profile that would make an outside observer say either "That's cool" or "That's impressive." Being a bilingual elementary teacher and violinist hits that first criteria.

On a side note, I have much love for East Texas. I've got a bunch of family from Mt. Pleasant/Titus County. Pittsburgh, TX peaches are probably the best I've ever had.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:25 am

ogman05 wrote:

I work in aerospace too, engineering. I'm planning to leave at the end of July, but I've been saving all my vacation so I will get paid like I'm there through most of August. It's scary walking away from a paycheck to accumulate tons of debt.

egghead

Postby egghead » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 am

pilotgal wrote:
ogman05 wrote:

I work in aerospace too, engineering. I'm planning to leave at the end of July, but I've been saving all my vacation so I will get paid like I'm there through most of August. It's scary walking away from a paycheck to accumulate tons of debt.

+1 on all of it. Specifically I do electrical engineering but the company I work for is aerospace. And I've also been hoarding vacation time like crazy for the same reason. It's good to know that there are other people in similar situations who are making the same jump.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 am

pilotgal wrote: It's scary walking away from a paycheck to accumulate tons of debt.

+1000

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
pilotgal wrote: It's scary walking away from a paycheck to accumulate tons of debt.

+1000

+50,000 :P

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:56 am

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Postby slider » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:14 am

Stringer Bell wrote:

+1000

The source of my insomnia.

Lady LaLa

Postby Lady LaLa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 am

Speaking of the heart-attack-inducing notion of law school debt, has anyone started the financial aid process yet? I'm waiting for my 10-99 to come through from work at the end of the month so I can get the ball rolling, but I'm pretty clueless about the whole process. I was lucky enough to be on a full-ride for undergrad and used my inheritance from my grandmother to pay for grad school. This time I'm on my own though and am totally freaking out. Any advice/suggestions, besides heavy drinking and lofty daydreams of making six-figures the day I step out of law school?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:46 am

Lady LaLa

Postby Lady LaLa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:50 am

What's an origination fee? Can you recommend any specific lenders that do not charge this fee?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:38 pm

Lady LaLa

Postby Lady LaLa » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. I REALLY appreciate it.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”