UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
dgouzoul

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:52 am

i have no shame

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Muckduck wrote:Just got the email from J. Trujillo. I am in! I am thrilled!

Numbers: 169, 3.79 (3.98 in last 3 years with a History/Econ double major)

You got an e-mail? That's strange. My status checker said congratulations, you've been admitted on 12/30, but I have yet to get any e-mail from them. They said they would be mailing something, and when I checked the status checker today, it looks like something has been snail-mailed. But it's weird that they have e-mailed some people and not others. I hope the congratulations on the status checker was not a mistake.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 pm

boo_pragmatism wrote:
dailygrind wrote:No kidding? How much bigger than 165 we talking? I'd go at it with anyone of any size, but if you're a purple belt and 180+ I'm not sure I'd be enough of a challenge to make grappling with me interesting. I'm 165, 4 years of HS wrestling and a little bit of bjj here and there. On a good day my no gi standup is good enough that I could probably take a blue belt by shooting and keeping away from too much guard work.

220. Wrestled for a year in college and wrestled in high school. Actually competed MMA for 3 years.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that if grappled you'd steamroll me. I'd still be down to check out the clubs though. You have any inkling where you're headed?

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 pm

i got an email asking me to call one of the directors of admissions--but my status checker still says pending decision.

does anyone know what they ask in the phone call? is it about specifics of your application or "why uva?"

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:06 pm

lawyering wrote:i got an email asking me to call one of the directors of admissions--but my status checker still says pending decision.

does anyone know what they ask in the phone call? is it about specifics of your application or "why uva?"

There is a near 100% chance that you have been admitted. Congrats.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm tagging this thread because as of today there is a very good chance that I'll be at UVA come the fall! Do we know when the ASW is yet?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:08 am

maggiebre wrote:I'm tagging this thread because as of today there is a very good chance that I'll be at UVA come the fall! Do we know when the ASW is yet?

The dates are in the acceptance package. I forget when they are though.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:27 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I'm tagging this thread because as of today there is a very good chance that I'll be at UVA come the fall! Do we know when the ASW is yet?

March 19 and April 9 both are Fridays

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:15 pm

HJO wrote:Jeffersonian is lining up to be the TLS dorm. Should be a good time.

I just got on the waitlist. #49...hope that's not too high. Someone here said they went up to 45 last year and someone said 78, so it's hard to tell. Hopefully I will be ok because I said I am flexible on the type of apartment. 2 BR's are only $100 more than 1 BR and I might be able to find a roommate if I get a 2 br. Otherwise I could have an office/guest bedroom and still pay a lot less than I am paying to share a place in DC.

How long does it usually take for them to process the waitlist? If I am #49, when should I expect to hear, if ever? I am hoping not too soon because I have not yet decided if UVA is where I'm going, and since I sent out most of my applications this past week and the week before, I expect other schools to take a lot longer to get back to me than UVA did.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:19 pm

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:17 pm

Doritos wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

March 19 and April 9 both are Fridays

I haven't been posting this year (those of you that have read the 2011 and 2012 probably have seen plenty of my posts) but I thought I should pop in and mention to all of you 0Ls that April 9 is the weekend of the UVA Law Softball Invitational (weekend long softball tournament featuring over 100 teams from different law schools) so if you have a choice, that's a very good weekend to be around UVA Law to get the full picture.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:26 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

I just got on the waitlist. #49...hope that's not too high. Someone here said they went up to 45 last year and someone said 78, so it's hard to tell. Hopefully I will be ok because I said I am flexible on the type of apartment. 2 BR's are only $100 more than 1 BR and I might be able to find a roommate if I get a 2 br. Otherwise I could have an office/guest bedroom and still pay a lot less than I am paying to share a place in DC.

How long does it usually take for them to process the waitlist? If I am #49, when should I expect to hear, if ever? I am hoping not too soon because I have not yet decided if UVA is where I'm going, and since I sent out most of my applications this past week and the week before, I expect other schools to take a lot longer to get back to me than UVA did.

I think #78 is a little high. There's only 84 apartments, and at max, I'd say only a 40 apartments move out each year. Even assuming some people who were offered apartments declined them, that could take you to #50 or so, but probably not much beyond that.

Damn, I guess I should have applied a few days earlier. But I don't even know if I am going to UVA yet. I guess I didn't realize that you don't have to put down money until you get one.

Hopefully I will get lucky, or someone will be looking for a roommate. Anyone here interested in sharing a place, or does everyone live alone because it's so cheap?

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:37 pm

I received my actual acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. woot!! I had been waiting as I only had the acceptance email since 12/29. Anyone here going to ASW?

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:44 pm

Other than the Jeffersonian, are there any other apartments right on Arlington Blvd or within 0.5 miles of the law school?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:46 pm

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:08 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Other than the Jeffersonian, are there any other apartments right on Arlington Blvd or within 0.5 miles of the law school?

Graduate Centre (although it's suite-based)
Condos/townhomes on Arlington; they're usually individually-owned and the owners rent them out
Ivy Gardens is probably within 1/2 a mile, at least the back end of it
University/Student housing

Thanks. Student housing is all shared bedrooms, right?

What about Arlington Court? I see their ads a lot on craigslist. Aren't they close to the law school too?
Yeah, Arlington Court is a "street" off of Arlington Blvd. (I put quotations marks because some utility companies don't recognize it as a separate road/street.).

Student housing is four to a suite, and two to a bedroom.

democrattotheend

Postby democrattotheend » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:21 pm

democrattotheend wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Other than the Jeffersonian, are there any other apartments right on Arlington Blvd or within 0.5 miles of the law school?

Graduate Centre (although it's suite-based)
Condos/townhomes on Arlington; they're usually individually-owned and the owners rent them out
Ivy Gardens is probably within 1/2 a mile, at least the back end of it
University/Student housing

Thanks. Student housing is all shared bedrooms, right?

What about Arlington Court? I see their ads a lot on craigslist. Aren't they close to the law school too?
Yeah, Arlington Court is a "street" off of Arlington Blvd. (I put quotations marks because some utility companies don't recognize it as a separate road/street.).

Student housing is four to a suite, and two to a bedroom.

I meant the Arlington Ct. apartments. Don't know the exact address, but they claim it's a 5 minute walk to Darden and the law school. Here's the ad: --LinkRemoved--

Does anyone know anything about this place?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:14 am

ogman05 wrote:I received my actual acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. woot!! I had been waiting as I only had the acceptance email since 12/29. Anyone here going to ASW?

Yeah. I was considering March, but now April looks like a great weekend to check things out. Plus I gotta check the Lacrosse schedule, I would love to drop in for a game...

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:10 am

I live in an Arlington Court Condo. It's a 1BR unit at basement-level (all the 1BRs are basement level, the 2BR units take up the two ground levels). As YCR already mentioned, they're condos individually owned by different owners/landlords, so the amenities might differ for different units. (My unit still has the original fuse box from the 1950s with replaceable fuses instead of circuit breakers.)

It's literally the closest to the law school that you can live without living in the "on-campus" Copeley housing, and the Copeley building is the only thing between you and the law school. It's a less than 5 minute walk. It's closer than the Blue Lot which is where many 1Ls park. You're basically living there for the location.

Also you get one reserved parking space for each bedroom (1BR gets one parking space, 2BR gets two). Nice if you have a car.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:27 am

YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

I think #78 is a little high. There's only 84 apartments, and at max, I'd say only a 40 apartments move out each year. Even assuming some people who were offered apartments declined them, that could take you to #50 or so, but probably not much beyond that.

78 is the number kathy hughes the apartment manager gave me on Monday.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 am

Doritos wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:

78 is the number kathy hughes the apartment manager gave me on Monday.

I'm #18 or 19 and more than likely going to be withdrawing so that will open up a spot.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:51 am

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:16 pm

As a #10 on the jeffersonian waitlist and likely resident, I second the :(

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:26 pm

dgouzoul wrote:As a #10 on the jeffersonian waitlist and likely resident, I second the :(

I looked at this and was like dude, im # 10 what the F***, then i saw your username, good shit bro

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”