UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
bluejayk

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby bluejayk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:34 am

vanwinkle wrote:I moved in here 2 weeks before classes started... I was just commenting on location and how it can be important to consider for when winter hits this part of the country.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience finding a place last minute. How did you find the place? Thanks, you've been really helpful in this thread.

My last year at undergrad, I subleased a place from someone who dropped out of school last minute, I got a fantastic discount. Hopefully something like that might be possible, because I won't be able to commit until after the rush for apartments is over.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:36 am

vanwinkle wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Your living at Jeffersonian right?

Arlington Court Condominiums, across the street from the Jefferson. Jeffersonian is an apartment complex, this is a unit of individually-owned condos.

Oh ok, how nice is Arlington Court compared to Jeffersonian? How do you go about getting one if it is individually owned?

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:46 am

van winkle - appreciate all your help in this thread and the UVA ED thread. I plan on taking another drive down during my time off between Christmas and New Years to check out what's available. I'll likely end up renting, but will definitely be looking into other options as well.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:50 am

bluejayk wrote:I'd be interested in hearing about your experience finding a place last minute. How did you find the place? Thanks, you've been really helpful in this thread.

My last year at undergrad, I subleased a place from someone who dropped out of school last minute, I got a fantastic discount. Hopefully something like that might be possible, because I won't be able to commit until after the rush for apartments is over.

jawsthegreat wrote:Oh ok, how nice is Arlington Court compared to Jeffersonian? How do you go about getting one if it is individually owned?

I didn't find it last minute, I just didn't move in until then. I found it in late March or early April, I forget which, but somewhere around there. The lease I signed just happened to be starting August 1. (The prior tenant ended up needing extra time to move out, so I ended up pushing back my move-in date to August 8, which actually worked out better for me.)

The unit I'm in was listed on Craigslist by the owner. I wasn't the first person to respond, but everyone else who responded wanted to look at it. I was like, "What does it take to rent it?", and she kept being like, "Well, you can come look at it before someone else does if you want," and I was like, "No, you don't understand, I don't want to look at it, I want to rent it right now." If I had waited at all I knew someone else would rent it, so I just tried to go ahead and rent it over the phone.

That's what finding a place close to campus is like, seriously. It will go quick, and to the person with the biggest balls. If you see it, rent it. You're paying for the location, basically; otherwise, it's a fairly typical apartment. That's going to be pretty typical for any unit around here, the thing that gives them special value is the location.

This unit is fairly nice. It's old, and the owner hasn't put much money into modernizing it, so it's got some quirks. Different units will have different amenities depending on what the owner's done with it. For example, it has an actual literal fuse box instead of a circuit breaker box. You have the old 1950s style circular fuses, if one blows you have to unscrew it and screw a new one in. On the other hand, I have a sliding door on the bath/shower that the owner had put in at some point, and I like that over a shower curtain immensely.

It's not what I'd call small, but the layout is quirky. There's no separate kitchen, there's a decent-sized living room/kitchen with the kitchen basically being one wall/side of the living room. It has a nice large bathroom, which i like, and I mentioned the shower/bathtub with sliding door (not all condos will have the sliding doors, depends on the owner). The bedroom is big enough for my queen-size bed (I like my sleep, if my username didn't tell you that).

If you're from NYC, my friend who lives there thinks this place is massive. I'm from Texas and think it's ordinary, nothing impressive in terms of size.

Jeffersonian units are larger, I think. They have some units that are 1BR+den, and I was actually just in a classmate's unit today, and those units are just huge. They're literally the same floorplan as the 2BR units, just without the second bedroom. Also, since Jeffersonian is an apartment complex with a central manager, you have much better odds of getting a unit you want there since you're not having to track down different owners. As has been said on here, though, those go fast once they open up for applications on Jan. 1, so you'd better get on it if you want to live there.

I'm glad I'm able to be of help. I figure anyone wanting to come here could use good information, and I have it, so... why not?

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:02 pm

If you went to Rutgers and are a Ray Rice fan, you'll get a spot because I like you

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:06 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uvalaw2013

Postby uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 pm

bluejayk wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I moved in here 2 weeks before classes started... I was just commenting on location and how it can be important to consider for when winter hits this part of the country.

I'd be interested in hearing about your experience finding a place last minute. How did you find the place? Thanks, you've been really helpful in this thread.

bluejayk are you coming to UVA? Hahaha, I remember your comments from the June 2009 LSAT exam. Hahahahaha: impractical?

From what I heard, it's pretty easy to find a place, but it will be farther from the law school. Not right around the corner. I plan to do this too (you get a lot of last min deals).

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:52 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:
dgouzoul wrote:If you went to Rutgers and are a Ray Rice fan, you'll get a spot because I like you

I'm a huge Ray fan, he essentially single handedly revitalized (or maybe just vitalized, "re-" implies it was once good) the football program. He's tearin it up in Baltimore.

Yeah, he's definitely single-handedly revitalized (or maybe vitalized) the Ravens offense. Flacco's hit or miss, but ray baby goes 100 yards on the ground or air every game. I'm considering getting a Ray Rice fathead.

As for Jeffersonian, the guy I'm gonna live with next year and I are applying january 1st as well. Hopefully it pans out.

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:23 pm

uvalaw2013 wrote:bluejayk are you coming to UVA? Hahaha, I remember your comments from the June 2009 LSAT exam. Hahahahaha: impractical?

Yeah, UVA looks like my top choice, unless something weird happens with scholarships. That week-long debate after the June test was probably my favorite internet argument ever, because after the scores came out there was a definitive answer to each question and so there was some satisfaction, rather than just people just deciding to hate each other forever.

uvalaw2013

Postby uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:39 pm

bluejayk wrote:
uvalaw2013 wrote:bluejayk are you coming to UVA? Hahaha, I remember your comments from the June 2009 LSAT exam. Hahahahaha: impractical?

Yeah, UVA looks like my top choice, unless something weird happens with scholarships. That week-long debate after the June test was probably my favorite internet argument ever, because after the scores came out there was a definitive answer to each question and so there was some satisfaction, rather than just people just deciding to hate each other forever.

Hahahaha, I have to agree with that. It was hilarious to read everything. Well, I hope to meet you at ASW next year :)

uvalaw2013

Postby uvalaw2013 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:46 pm

thepunisher24 wrote:van winkle - appreciate all your help in this thread and the UVA ED thread. I plan on taking another drive down during my time off between Christmas and New Years to check out what's available. I'll likely end up renting, but will definitely be looking into other options as well.

vanwinkle should be thanked a million times. Honestly, reading his threads about UVA in other fourms is so helpful. I also think other thanks should go to YCrev and cavalier :) for providing all of us so much insight into UVA itself.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:13 pm

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Hey guys I will be visiting Charlottesville on Tuesday, is there anything in particular you want answered by the admissions office, or any particular things you want photographed?

I will be going by the law school, as well as taking a tour of an Ivy Gardens apartment, and generally just driving around the area, anything else I should do or want me to do?

I will post pictures, details, trip report etc. when I get home Wednesday night.

I also started a thread on the visits forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100211

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:09 pm

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:13 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:Hey guys I will be visiting Charlottesville on Tuesday, is there anything in particular you want answered by the admissions office, or any particular things you want photographed?

I will be going by the law school, as well as taking a tour of an Ivy Gardens apartment, and generally just driving around the area, anything else I should do or want me to do?

I will post pictures, details, trip report etc. when I get home Wednesday night.

I also started a thread on the visits forum here:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=100211

Some of the snow might not melt by Tuesday morning. Please be wary of other Charlottesville drivers, because they rarely drive well in good weather, and they're a public enemy when there's snow and ice on the roads.

Yea, I was going to go down Monday, but I pushed it back because of the 22 inches of snow that just got dumped on Charlottesville and myself in D.C.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Postby 02082010 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:43 pm

Is there an admitted students site that I should be combing through right now? If not, will one be going up?

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Not that I know of. Probably show up in the spring sometime

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:55 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:08 pm

FeuerFrei wrote:I spoke with Kathy at the Jeffersonian Apts and she provided me with some pics. PM me if anyone wants em.

oops, sorry I didn't get back to you quick enough. I think the pics I have originated with an email to Kathy, so they should be the same ones.

slider

Postby slider » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:34 pm

This* may be a silly question, but I cannot seem to find this anywhere on the site. I came from a commuter school so I'm not quite sure how this works exactly. Does anyone know if on-campus housing offers a 10 month lease or if it is a 12 month lease only?
Last edited by slider on Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:57 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:04 pm

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”