UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:38 am

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:13 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:34 pm

So is there 2 Barracks Road shopping centers? Because the one that comes up in Google (on Emmet) doesn't look like a 3 min walk from the Jeffersonian.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:So is there 2 Barracks Road shopping centers? Because the one that comes up in Google (on Emmet) doesn't look like a 3 min walk from the Jeffersonian.

Maybe, but *the* Barracks Road Shopping Center is 3 minutes or so from the Jeffersonian (at the the southwest side of it; about 7-10 minutes for the northern end of it).

It's this one: http://www.barracksroad.com/

Oh okay, I'm sure it's the only one than. I guess I'm just a little disoriented when I look at the map.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:48 pm

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:51 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:So is there 2 Barracks Road shopping centers? Because the one that comes up in Google (on Emmet) doesn't look like a 3 min walk from the Jeffersonian.

Maybe, but *the* Barracks Road Shopping Center is 3 minutes or so from the Jeffersonian (at the the southwest side of it; about 7-10 minutes for the northern end of it).

It's this one: http://www.barracksroad.com/

EDIT: BRSC is bound by Arlington Blvd. on the south side, Barracks Road on the north side (with the exception of the north wing which is across from Barracks Road), Emmet St. on the east, and Millmont St. on the west. Google Maps is misleading; most the "roads" in BRSC are just parking, and Harris Teeter is a whole lot closer to Arlington Blvd.

Ah, okay now I see.

EDIT: I can see where it is by looking at the parking lots, and your description. If you put the adress into google or yahoo maps though, the marker is very far off from where it actually is. It marks it as being over by the lawn.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Can anyone speak to the safety of the area around the law school and the nearby apartments? I have two dogs and I have to walk/run them every day and in the winter that will probably be after dark. Is the general feeling that it's pretty safe for a female to do that alone? Maybe the fact that I have two Siberian Huskies would be a deterrent but they would just wag their tails so they aren't useful for protection, just entertainment.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:18 pm

pilotgal wrote:Can anyone speak to the safety of the area around the law school and the nearby apartments? I have two dogs and I have to walk/run them every day and in the winter that will probably be after dark. Is the general feeling that it's pretty safe for a female to do that alone? Maybe the fact that I have two Siberian Huskies would be a deterrent but they would just wag their tails so they aren't useful for protection, just entertainment.

I'm not at the LS or undergrad but I'm from nearby and have spent a decent amount of time in C'Ville... I would say you're definitely safe unless someone who knows better can say otherwise. It's in a very nice area.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:26 pm

pilotgal wrote:Can anyone speak to the safety of the area around the law school and the nearby apartments? I have two dogs and I have to walk/run them every day and in the winter that will probably be after dark. Is the general feeling that it's pretty safe for a female to do that alone? Maybe the fact that I have two Siberian Huskies would be a deterrent but they would just wag their tails so they aren't useful for protection, just entertainment.

I know female classmates that buddy up to walk home to Ivy after dark, but I think that's just a general safety principle, not because they feel this is particularly unsafe. Personally, I feel the area around the law school is pretty safe, and there's walking/jogging paths set off to the side from the roads. They're close enough to the road to be visible but separated a little. I see joggers running those routes all the time, some by themselves, some paired up.

Ivy Gardens is a rather large apartment complex and fairly well lit, you could probably just go run them a few laps around that place and wear them out.

With two huskies accompanying you, you'd probably be fine regardless. People don't know they're not a threat until they're close enough to find out!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:29 pm

I should probably add in the interest of full disclosure that Morgan Harrington, the missing VT student who's been in the news in the last few weeks, was last seen for certain at John Paul Jones Arena only a couple blocks from the law school. However, the reports I read said that she tried to hitchhike home from the concert she was attending, so I'm going to assume that as long as you don't try hitchhiking you'll probably still be fine.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 pm

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I should probably add in the interest of full disclosure that Morgan Harrington, the missing VT student who's been in the news in the last few weeks, was last seen for certain at John Paul Jones Arena only a couple blocks from the law school. However, the reports I read said that she tried to hitchhike home from the concert she was attending, so I'm going to assume that as long as you don't try hitchhiking you'll probably still be fine.

I thought about saying something about this (our parents actually work together) but decided not to because I honestly believe it's an isolated incident that could happen anywhere.

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:50 pm

i just got waitlisted today :oops:

Thank you for your interest in Virginia Law. We have carefully reviewed your application. We have decided that we cannot offer you admission at this time and are placing you on our waiting list.

:oops: GL to those still in contention

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:57 pm

catharsis wrote:i just got waitlisted today :oops:

Thank you for your interest in Virginia Law. We have carefully reviewed your application. We have decided that we cannot offer you admission at this time and are placing you on our waiting list.

:oops: GL to those still in contention

That sucks . . . keep your hopes up there are other schools.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:33 pm

wackjickham wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I should probably add in the interest of full disclosure that Morgan Harrington, the missing VT student who's been in the news in the last few weeks, was last seen for certain at John Paul Jones Arena only a couple blocks from the law school. However, the reports I read said that she tried to hitchhike home from the concert she was attending, so I'm going to assume that as long as you don't try hitchhiking you'll probably still be fine.

I thought about saying something about this (our parents actually work together) but decided not to because I honestly believe it's an isolated incident that could happen anywhere.

I believe the same thing, I just didn't want people to think I was pretending it didn't happen. I think if I mention it and say that overall the school still feels safe to me, that creates a much stronger impression I'm not sugar-coating things.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:52 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

I know female classmates that buddy up to walk home to Ivy after dark, but I think that's just a general safety principle, not because they feel this is particularly unsafe. Personally, I feel the area around the law school is pretty safe, and there's walking/jogging paths set off to the side from the roads. They're close enough to the road to be visible but separated a little. I see joggers running those routes all the time, some by themselves, some paired up.

Ivy Gardens is a rather large apartment complex and fairly well lit, you could probably just go run them a few laps around that place and wear them out.

With two huskies accompanying you, you'd probably be fine regardless. People don't know they're not a threat until they're close enough to find out!

Ivy Gardens won't allow for huskies (or any pets for that matter).

If you've got two large dogs with you, you should be pretty safe; even without the dogs, you'd be pretty safe.

Thanks to all for the input. I know my apartment choices are limited since I have dogs. I have a house now where I don't have to worry about what pets I can have, so this will definitely be a change. I talked to Kathy at The Jeffersonian yesterday and if I can score an apartment there, she'll accept the dogs. Otherwise there are a couple other complexes further from the school that will allow them too.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:32 pm

I guess it is time to get serious about roommates. I want to live in a 2 BR in the Jeffersonian because it is close and a little bit cheaper. I'm a male who is straight out of undergrad. I'm from Pittsburgh. I like moonlit walks on the beach, papaya, and cosmos in hot tubs. PM me if you are interested in shacking up. I'm going down to Charlottesville on the 29th to scope it out. I'm going to look at Ivy Gardens, but I need to get in touch with the Jeffersonian to see if I can tour there. I will also find out if I can just give Jeffersonian my app when I'm there considering it is 2 days before the normal application date. I know there aren't too many people who know where they are going, but hopefully some other ED kids are out there.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:54 pm

Just curious:
I requested to join the facebook group several days ago and am still pending approval. Did it take a while for the rest of you too?

bofas17

Postby bofas17 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:54 am

Hey-

Are there any girls out there looking for a roommate? I'd really like to live at the Jeffersonian in a 2BD and since the application due date is coming up soon I figured this was a good place to check. So here's my ad:

I'm pretty laid back and friendly. I like being social, active and cooking. I'm somewhere inbetween very neat and slightly messy. Pets are fair game as long as they aren't small yippie dogs. I graduated in 2009 from Wake Forest and I'm currently teaching English in Asia. So I come with a pretty large collection of fake DVDs.

PM me if you're interested!

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:42 am

pilotgal wrote:Just curious:
I requested to join the facebook group several days ago and am still pending approval. Did it take a while for the rest of you too?

Took me a day or two. It's run by the adcomms so I'm guessing they are super busy

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:15 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”