UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Philo38

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 am

YCrevolution wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Philo38 wrote:YCrev,

I know that you have said earlier it is best to submit an application for the Jeffersonian in January, how competitive are the apartments there? Is it more or less difficult to get the two bedrooms? Ivy isn't an option for me since I have a dog. Thanks.

If you don't submit by Jan. 4 you probably aren't getting an apartment there.

Okay, wow. Is it common in your knowledge that people submit before Jan 4 and still don't get one?

If you submit before between the Jan. 01 and Jan. 04 window, you should get the room configuration (one/two bedroom w/ or w/o den) you want.

Okay great, thanks.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:24 am

jawsthegreat wrote:Is there anyway you can control which apartment you get at Ivy? (Like getting the one's closest to the law school as opposed to the apartments 1/4 mile further away)

Also is there any way someone could post some pictures or links to pictures of both Ivy and the Jeffersonian?

I have a few of Jeffersonian that somebody else on TLS obtained by emailing them and was kind enough to share, PM me your email and I will pass them along.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:29 am

Can anyone recommend an apartment that has longer than a 3 day window to submit an application and more than 2 HD channels?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 am

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:03 am

There are a few 1BR apartments in Arlington Court Condos. However, each of them may be individually owned by a different landlord who rents them out individually. I'm living in one now; I found it on Craigslist of all things, and when I told the landlady I wanted it, she mentioned that even though the ad had been posted earlier in the day she already had another couple people coming over to look at it.

"No, you don't understand," I told her, "I want it. How do I put a deposit down?"

She was quite shocked that I didn't want to look at it first, but I applied a simple one-question test ("Is it walking distance to the law school?") and based on the response ("yes") clarified my position ("Then I want to rent your apartment over the phone, how do I do that?").

If I hadn't done that, she would've rented it to someone else by the end of the day, if not the end of the week. It was just random chance that I got here first. (And before you ask, I'm not planning on moving out, so no, you can't have this unit.)

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:There are a few 1BR apartments in Arlington Court Condos. However, each of them may be individually owned by a different landlord who rents them out individually. I'm living in one now; I found it on Craigslist of all things, and when I told the landlady I wanted it, she mentioned that even though the ad had been posted earlier in the day she already had another couple people coming over to look at it.

"No, you don't understand," I told her, "I want it. How do I put a deposit down?"

She was quite shocked that I didn't want to look at it first, but I applied a simple one-question test ("Is it walking distance to the law school?") and based on the response ("yes") clarified my position ("Then I want to rent your apartment over the phone, how do I do that?").

If I hadn't done that, she would've rented it to someone else by the end of the day, if not the end of the week. It was just random chance that I got here first. (And before you ask, I'm not planning on moving out, so no, you can't have this unit.)

I'll take it. Can I have the big room? I get cramped.

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:54 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

sharthree wrote:I think its UVA guys...I think I'm going. Not sure...but reading through these 21 pages should help me out :) OH...and I'm in.

Congrats!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 pm

sharthree wrote:I think its UVA guys...I think I'm going. Not sure...but reading through these 21 pages should help me out :) OH...and I'm in.

What in the world is your LSAT that you got rejected from GULC and got into UVA?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:06 pm

What in the world is your LSAT that you got rejected from GULC and got into UVA?

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:34 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:

you can say that again. oh wait you did....

Anastasia Dee Dualla

Postby Anastasia Dee Dualla » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Last edited by Anastasia Dee Dualla on Sat May 02, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:18 pm

sharthree wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:

I have no idea how the hell I got into UVA and Cornell, but dinged from GULC. I truly think they just hated my name.

I got into UVA and GULC, but deferred at Cornell and dinged at UT.

bowie8285

Postby bowie8285 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Last edited by bowie8285 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim_Stansel

Postby Jim_Stansel » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:21 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:Is there anyway you can control which apartment you get at Ivy? (Like getting the one's closest to the law school as opposed to the apartments 1/4 mile further away)

Also is there any way someone could post some pictures or links to pictures of both Ivy and the Jeffersonian?

Did you check out the photos on the Ivy Garden website? http://www.ivygarden.com/apartments_1B.htm# Click on the link in the middle that says "Model Apartment Interior." You can also check out the different floor plans on the site.

You can make a request to be as close to the law school as possible when you fill out your application. Since Ivy is filled with law and business school students (the business school is right next to the law school), obviously a lot of people will be making this request so the sooner you get your application in, the better. I made the request, but didn't submit an application until early June and am almost as far from the law school as you can get, but the extra distance is not that significant. I'm like a 12 minute walk, whereas the ideal location is probably a 6 or 7 minute walk.

The only time I ever regretted living in Ivy was one morning in November during a torrential downpour. By the time I got to school, my jeans were completely saturated with water and stayed that way for a couple hours. I really wanted to just leave them hanging on a bathroom stall and go to contracts in my underwear, but that wouldn't have gone over well. I learned an important lesson: buy a fucking umbrella (which I still haven't done). You can also occasionally take a gamble and drive to school, but you'd have to pay to park in a metered space if you don't want to get ticketed, and there isn't always one available.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:36 pm

oneforship wrote:I got into UVA and GULC, but deferred at Cornell and dinged at UT.

UT is just not splitter friendly. I'm beyond amped for UVA in the fall since it was my top choice, but I am curious if I would've gotten in to Texas as a 3.0, 177, Texas resident with several years good W/E and what I feel was a strong personal statement.

schlizzle

Postby schlizzle » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Is anyone else thinking of going ahead and putting in an application in January for a 2 bedroom apt. / putting down a deposit yourself, then working on finding a roommate?

Has anyone done this before? Success? Horror stories?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:09 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
oneforship wrote:I got into UVA and GULC, but deferred at Cornell and dinged at UT.

UT is just not splitter friendly. I'm beyond amped for UVA in the fall since it was my top choice, but I am curious if I would've gotten in to Texas as a 3.0, 177, Texas resident with several years good W/E and what I feel was a strong personal statement.

Yeah, while I'm no longer a Texas resident, I spent the majority of my life there, have had my home there the past 16 years or so, and my entire family is from there. Didn't seem to play much of a role.

Which is fine, cause I'm a VA resident now, and I like UVA. :)

bofas17

Postby bofas17 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:39 pm

schlizzle wrote:Is anyone else thinking of going ahead and putting in an application in January for a 2 bedroom apt. / putting down a deposit yourself, then working on finding a roommate?

I was wondering the same thing... anyone know anything?

thanks!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:51 am

Stringer Bell wrote:

I got rejected by UT also.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:21 am

How are exams going Vanwinkle?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:35 am

jawsthegreat wrote:How are exams going Vanwinkle?

I hope well. I've survived 3 of them so far; they're a totally new experience to anything you've ever dealt with in academia before. But they're definitely survivable! Also, since things are graded on a rather broad B+ curve it's very hard to fail or do too poorly if you study the material and at least try on the test. Other than that I wish I could say; we don't get grades back until January or February.

(To a UG, it probably sounds ridiculous to have to wait that long for grades, but some of our classes are 90+ students, to get a decent score on an essay exam you might need to write an answer that's 5,000 words or longer, and that means that profs have to grade 90 5,000-word answers and then apply those grades to the curve before they can release anyone's grades... Yeah, that could take a while.)

My last exam is Thursday, then it's a much-needed winter break.

HeelsforHoos

Postby HeelsforHoos » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:59 am

bofas17 wrote:
schlizzle wrote:Is anyone else thinking of going ahead and putting in an application in January for a 2 bedroom apt. / putting down a deposit yourself, then working on finding a roommate?

I was wondering the same thing... anyone know anything?

thanks!

This was my plan too. Can we get an experienced 'Hoo in this thread?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:06 am

I prefer to live alone, so I have no experience on the roommate hunt thing, but I do know several classmates that found themselves roommates at ASD. People at ASD are often thinking about where they're going to live and it's a perfect time to find a roommate. For a 2BR at the Jeffersonian it'd be an easy pitch, too; "Hey, I've got an apartment in that building right down there, just a block from the law school, and I'm looking for a roommate..." Trust me, someone will be interested.

Or, you know, there's kind of a whole bunch of UVA 0Ls in this thread. Work it out amongst yourselves. If there's this many of you wanting to find roommates, you should be talking to each other.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:24 am

Dear potential roommates in this thread...be mine. I got letters of rec. transcripts and resume. I also got a kick ass TV and VCR combo (absolutely not hi-def). Lets live together and be number 1 and 2 in the class....then profit...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”