UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:07 pm

Doritos wrote:How big of a role do you think writing samples play in the acquisition of 1L jobs?

It's important for a lot of 1L jobs that you prove you can form complete sentences and use proper grammar. Beyond that, most jobs won't really care. They know you're a 1L and don't know what you're doing yet. It's one of those "won't really help you, just doing it badly enough will hurt you" things.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:32 pm

.
Last edited by plum on Thu May 26, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:36 pm

plum wrote:i think i'll just put in some effort on the "big memo", but i can't be bothered with this 2nd one.

Image

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:10 am

vamedic03 wrote:
plum wrote:i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.


Dude - that's just asking for burn out. You shouldn't spend xmas break writing additional memos. If you really want to get a non-LRW writing sample, participate in the Winter Pro Bono Project Program (which I highly recommend). That way, you can get some real research and writing experience, and get Pro Bono hours.



Question about the winter pro bono thing. I would like to do it but I would also like to visit my family for a week. Are they flexible with things like that or do I have to be in Cville the whole break?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:55 am

Doritos wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
plum wrote:i'll prolly just write some memos on my own over xmas break on topics that i actually LIKE instead of this incredibly boring mind-numbing stuff they give us in lrw (seriously? if the topic were more interesting i might actually enjoy putting some effort into it). my old firm job offered to edit my memos and review them for me anyways so i might hit them up on that offer.


Dude - that's just asking for burn out. You shouldn't spend xmas break writing additional memos. If you really want to get a non-LRW writing sample, participate in the Winter Pro Bono Project Program (which I highly recommend). That way, you can get some real research and writing experience, and get Pro Bono hours.



Question about the winter pro bono thing. I would like to do it but I would also like to visit my family for a week. Are they flexible with things like that or do I have to be in Cville the whole break?


Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I personally got about 72 hours of pro bono hours done in 2 weeks.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:42 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I personally got about 72 hours of pro bono hours done in 2 weeks.

I did a pro bono project in NYC, just because I wanted to go hang out in NYC with friends over the winter break. They found me something there, it led to a great 1L summer internship, and that has led to other things. I highly recommend the winter break pro bono projects to everyone, even if you're not going to do public service for a living; it'll possibly give you connections for a 1L summer internship and definitely give you something law-related to talk about during 2L OCI interviews.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BruceWayne » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I personally got about 72 hours of pro bono hours done in 2 weeks.

I did a pro bono project in NYC, just because I wanted to go hang out in NYC with friends over the winter break. They found me something there, it led to a great 1L summer internship, and that has led to other things. I highly recommend the winter break pro bono projects to everyone, even if you're not going to do public service for a living; it'll possibly give you connections for a 1L summer internship and definitely give you something law-related to talk about during 2L OCI interviews.


If there is a specific legal aid society I would like to work for during the winter break is it better to approach them directly by sending in my resume in November, or should I try to go to one of the Public Interest meetings in Nov that you all are talking about and try to do it through the school?

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Its the 1st 3 weeks of January - however, I did the first 2 weeks of January because I did a J-term course. They'll have meeting about in November. They will help you find a project in your hometown or in other cities if you prefer not to be in cville. I think most people probably did something outside of c'ville. Some places allow for remote projects and the quality of experience can vary quite a bit.

I personally got about 72 hours of pro bono hours done in 2 weeks.

I did a pro bono project in NYC, just because I wanted to go hang out in NYC with friends over the winter break. They found me something there, it led to a great 1L summer internship, and that has led to other things. I highly recommend the winter break pro bono projects to everyone, even if you're not going to do public service for a living; it'll possibly give you connections for a 1L summer internship and definitely give you something law-related to talk about during 2L OCI interviews.


If there is a specific legal aid society I would like to work for during the winter break is it better to approach them directly by sending in my resume in November, or should I try to go to one of the Public Interest meetings in Nov that you all are talking about and try to do it through the school?


I would go through the school - its a formal program. If you're really anxious then schedule a meeting with Dean Emory to talk about it.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:01 am

how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:04 am

plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?


You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there

User avatar
jawsthegreat
Posts: 792
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jawsthegreat » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:58 pm

Doritos wrote:
plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?


You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there


I would say that if you want to work in D.C. you're going to be needing top 20% type grades.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby im_blue » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 pm

Doritos wrote:
plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?


You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there

I thought DC was the 2nd largest legal market behind NYC, or did you mean small relative to the number of graduates who want to work there?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BruceWayne » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:07 pm

im_blue wrote:I thought DC was the 2nd largest legal market behind NYC, or did you mean small relative to the number of graduates who want to work there?


Yeah it's not small; It's just small in comparison to NYC, which is loaded with firms.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:43 pm

so i just started using OneNote and can't seem to figure out how to create a shortcut key for §

anyone know how to do this?

User avatar
jdavid901
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jdavid901 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:38 pm

plum wrote:so i just started using OneNote and can't seem to figure out how to create a shortcut key for §

anyone know how to do this?


Re: Microsoft OneNote - yay or nay?
« Reply #184 on: September 05, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »Quote from: jumpyoulikeabattery on September 04, 2007, 10:18:19 PM
Quote from: aerynn on September 04, 2007, 09:24:30 PM
Quote from: jumpyoulikeabattery on September 04, 2007, 06:01:11 AM
all good suggestions, but seriously guys, if i wanted to type alt + "0, 1, A, 1" (or whatever), that wouldn't be much different than just writing "(D)" or "(P)" or "sec.", right? perhaps i'm obsessing too much over this (actually i know i am ). but for some reason it just irks me that microsoft office doesn't have the same features in each program. the shortcut key just seems like such a simple concept that would be useful to integrate into the note-taking software.


No, go to Insert-->Special Characters

Then find the character. When you do, it will allow you to program your own shortcut, such as ATL+D or whatever. Then everytime you press ALT+D in any MS Office program, it will insert the Delta for defendant.




This function is not on my version of One Note (2007, Vista). I see how you can do this in Word (notice how I mentioned "shortcut keys"), but there is no "shortcut key" option in One Note.

After getting frustrated with myself I think I may have found a way around it...coincidentally, using another feature that often frustrates me as well-- the "auto correct" function. You know, that thing that creates a copyright symbol every time you type (c)?

Anyways, these corrections can be programed to your liking. Go to "Tools" ---> "AutoCorrect Options" and use the "replace:" and "with:" entry blanks to associate keys with their new symbol. I used pf for pi, sx for section and df for delta. So every time I write pf and type a space after it, the pi symbol comes up. Thinking about it, I could just associate "pf" with "plaintiff" (having the feature write out the entire word for me), but I think I've gone through so much frustration trying to figure out how to put these darn symbols in that for my own satisfaction I just need to see them in my notes from now on



There's no option in OneNote, but if you do it in Word, it will work in OneNote . . . at least, that's true in the 2005 suite.
-----------

From a discussion at, http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org

User avatar
jdavid901
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jdavid901 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:53 pm

I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:57 pm

jdavid901 wrote:I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!


awesome just fixt it. thanks. :)

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:29 am

jdavid901 wrote:I have an addition to the procedure I referenced above. In Onenote 2010, I can't just cut and past the § symbol in the autocorrect box. To work around that problem, I had to insert it using the unicode character code: type 00A7 in the box and hit "Alt + x" immediately afterward. Hope it helps!


I've been wondering how to do this. Thanks a bunch!

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 am

seriously what the hell is wrong with OneNote....where is the find-and-replace option?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 am

..

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:37 am

YCrevolution wrote:Alt-21 with Numlock on should also generate the section symbol.


Hmmm that didn't work for me. What version are you using?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19653
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:09 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Alt-21 with Numlock on should also generate the section symbol.


sweet. alt 0167 also works, but 21 is a whole lot easier.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Alt-21 with Numlock on should also generate the section symbol.


Oh snap! I've been doing alt-0167 all this time. My mind has been expanded

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby RVP11 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 am

jawsthegreat wrote:
Doritos wrote:
plum wrote:how does uva tend to do in the DC area (not just firms, but all the legal opportunities out there)...does it have a solid rep or do we flood the town so that they're sick of us?


You have to have good grades to work in DC. I have heard this constantly from everyone. It's a small market and everyone @ UVa wants to work there


I would say that if you want to work in D.C. you're going to be needing top 20% type grades.


I'd cut that down to more like top 33% (3.4ish), assuming you interview reasonably well. The trick with bidding DC is that it's a good way to end up with like 10 interviews even though you have above-median grades.

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby BruceWayne » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:57 pm

RVP11 wrote:I'd cut that down to more like top 33% (3.4ish), assuming you interview reasonably well. The trick with bidding DC is that it's a good way to end up with like 10 interviews even though you have above-median grades.


We really do have a tight curve. Eh, getting grades is going to be really interesting. Is top 10 percent a 3.6 or a 3.7? I've been getting a bit confused about that.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest