UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
flyingpanda

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:28 pm

I'm scared. Someone come over and cuddle with me.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:48 pm

That storm interrupted a good game of Starcraft 2 :(

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:20 pm

flyingpanda wrote:WTF STORM!

You obviously weren't here in early June.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:27 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:

I'm new to the east coast. I've spent some time in asia though. The weather here is kinda similar. Humid with random storms.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:55 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:

I'm new to the east coast. I've spent some time in asia though. The weather here is kinda similar. Humid with random storms.

It is kinda Asian here, isn't it? (I used to live in Japan.) I'm new to the East Coast too, but right after we got here there was a freak storm that came through one afternoon with winds in excess of 60 mph. It uprooted trees all around town, and most of C'ville was without power for over a day. It was crazy.

plum

Postby plum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:11 pm

has anyone gone and picked up their ID yet? i drove by the hall where they said we should go, i just happened to be going by, and didn't see any parking so i gave up since it seemed it might take a while and i had somewhere to be. anyways, has anyone driven there? i think it's probably too far of a walk from the jeffersonian, but my sense of geography is still a little confused. do they take your picture and make the ID while you wait? or do you just go and "pick it up" ?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:16 pm

TheSharklord wrote:
jnorsky wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:If I were to guess, the person who said the ID automatically gets you into the gym was wrong.

I hope not, i called yesterday, spoke with someone who went to ask one of her supervisors and she said once we have our ID's its all good from there

The gym will always let you in with ID. Which means...we are all still asleep.

North Grounds now has a rather prominent sign saying that Fall membership begins August 16th. I managed to drop in last year and get thru after playing the baffled new kid, but I'm not sure that would have worked more than once.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 pm

plum wrote:has anyone gone and picked up their ID yet? i drove by the hall where they said we should go, i just happened to be going by, and didn't see any parking so i gave up since it seemed it might take a while and i had somewhere to be. anyways, has anyone driven there? i think it's probably too far of a walk from the jeffersonian, but my sense of geography is still a little confused. do they take your picture and make the ID while you wait? or do you just go and "pick it up" ?

You get your picture taken and wait a few minutes for them to create the ID. There's some parking adjacent to the building but it's possible it'll all be full. Parking in the undergrad area is pretty difficult during business hours though you'd only be there a few minutes so could probably park in the football stadium lot or in the small dorm lots nearby without getting a ticket given you'd be there such a short time but it is a risk.

plum

Postby plum » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm

gladiator wrote:
plum wrote:has anyone gone and picked up their ID yet? i drove by the hall where they said we should go, i just happened to be going by, and didn't see any parking so i gave up since it seemed it might take a while and i had somewhere to be. anyways, has anyone driven there? i think it's probably too far of a walk from the jeffersonian, but my sense of geography is still a little confused. do they take your picture and make the ID while you wait? or do you just go and "pick it up" ?

You get your picture taken and wait a few minutes for them to create the ID. There's some parking adjacent to the building but it's possible it'll all be full. Parking in the undergrad area is pretty difficult during business hours though you'd only be there a few minutes so could probably park in the football stadium lot or in the small dorm lots nearby without getting a ticket given you'd be there such a short time but it is a risk.

thanks!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:30 pm

FYI - you get a 'warning' ticket for your 1st ticket (resets every 365 days)

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:30 pm

i walked to the ID office from jeffersonian, took about 20 min

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:56 pm

plum wrote:
gladiator wrote:

thanks!
Go early in the morning. This is almost always good advice when trying to avoid college kids.

Speaking of ID's, we are definitely not able to use them to get into the gym until August 16. I tried.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:01 pm

vamedic03 wrote:FYI - you get a 'warning' ticket for your 1st ticket (resets every 365 days)

This. If you're not burning your warning ticket each year, you're not parking with the freedom you're afforded.

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Zomg where are the parties at?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:45 am

flyingpanda wrote:Zomg where are the parties at?

probably the corner

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:48 am

dailygrind wrote:

probably the corner

Let's do some shit tonight dude.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:09 am

Got the keys! And also vanwinkle's TV, which does indeed have quite the picture from the few moments of TV I saw while it was on at his place. Haven't installed it yet, or even put in any furniture for that matter (back home till Sunday -- the Big Move day) but when I do, you folks are welcome to drop by and hang out (like maybe a week from today).

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:07 am

flyingpanda wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

probably the corner

Let's do some shit tonight dude.

timestamps = :lol:

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:04 am

Also, I read a little back about some talk of getting some poker (which was presumed to be hold'em) going? I'd be down for some of that. I have a nice chip set and plastic cards which I bought in undergrad after playing poker a lot my first year and never actually used more than two or three times, so if people want to drop by on occasion to play that'd certainly help validate my "I'm gonna totally be a poker star now!" fantasies of the past.

Muckduck

Postby Muckduck » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:21 am

I am pumped full of vaccines right now. Hopefully UVa's immunization requirement doesn't backfire and cause me to catch these diseases and infect the rest of you!

So I learned today that medical school and practice requires little or no reading comprehension. For the TB test, the doctor at the walk-in clinic read the list of countries to be ones in which TB is endemic. I have lived in France and Canada in the last 5 years. I told him that the list of blacklisted countries is any country OTHER than those listed, but he disagreed. Really? The United States was on that list... Needless to say I am annoyed about the bubble under my skin right now from the test. I guess it is good to get taken care of now anyways.

And how do we get on the Law Web? Do we need to have any reading done from the texts before class starts? Not trying to be gunnerish, but I don't want to be my section's first victim of the Socratic method...

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:45 am

Muckduck wrote:I am pumped full of vaccines right now. Hopefully UVa's immunization requirement doesn't backfire and cause me to catch these diseases and infect the rest of you!

Don't worry. The rest of us have developed immunity. ;)

So I learned today that medical school and practice requires little or no reading comprehension. For the TB test, the doctor at the walk-in clinic read the list of countries to be ones in which TB is endemic. I have lived in France and Canada in the last 5 years. I told him that the list of blacklisted countries is any country OTHER than those listed, but he disagreed. Really? The United States was on that list... Needless to say I am annoyed about the bubble under my skin right now from the test. I guess it is good to get taken care of now anyways.

There must not be an RC section on the MCAT.

And how do we get on the Law Web? Do we need to have any reading done from the texts before class starts? Not trying to be gunnerish, but I don't want to be my section's first victim of the Socratic method...

You should have received an email on or about 6/30 entitled "New Law Web Account" which should contain login instructions. We will have reading assignments for our first classes, but we get our section assignments/schedules next Friday. Since classes start the following Wednesday, we'll have at least five days to get each of those first readings done. Until then, it seems the only reason to go onto Law Web is curiosity. Or gunnerishness.

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:44 pm

Since classes start the following Wednesday, we'll have at least five days to get each of those first readings done.

You mistakenly believe that all professors will have assignments up by that Friday. Some wait til a day or two before (on the bright side, some don't make you read for day 1 at all). Your PAs will probably help you out and make sure you have your Day 1 assignments on Orientation Monday.

Some don't post first assignments online so you have to go to the bulletin board near the Student Records Office (Slaughter Hall 1st floor) to see them.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:05 pm

Anything fun going on tonight?

flyingpanda

Postby flyingpanda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:50 pm

oneforship wrote:Anything fun going on tonight?

Are you even around?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:56 pm

flyingpanda wrote:
oneforship wrote:Anything fun going on tonight?

Are you even around?

Will be, later tonight, maybe 9:30/10.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”