UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
badwithpseudonyms

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
5ky wrote:According to the internet, if you buy MS Office 08 (mac) (starting TODAY), you'll get a free upgrade to MS Office 2011 (mac) when it releases, in October or something.

Congratulations! You're my favorite person of the day! Thanks for the heads up.

Public Service Announcement: The UVA Bookstore has a few hundred copies of Office 2008 for Mac, but the registration codes are bad. The rep on the phone said they're not going to have a new shipment until mid- to late August. (Don't know why they couldn't send along a few pages of Avery mailing labels with new registration codes, but I digress...) Not sure if this screws things up for anyone else, but figured I'd pass along that info.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 am

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:52 am

YCrevolution wrote:Maybe the main bookstore has good codes?

That's who I spoke to. The woman in the C&C bookstore said something to that effect but she sounded confused. So I double checked. :(

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 am

ughhhh... I'm so torn. Okay, here's the dilemma:

For my birthday, The Black Keys show on 9/9 or the Top of the Hops Beer Fest on the 9/11?

Given the undeniably killer lineup of breweries, I'm inclined towards a Saturday of getting blackout drunk. OTOH, I've never seen the Black Keys live. :?

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:47 am

is your birthday the tenth? if so we are twinsies

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 pm

dgouzoul wrote:is your birthday the tenth? if so we are twinsies

I'm the ninth, but we can use both our names on the TLS and/or facebook invite.

Tickets go on sale this Friday for the beer fest. $35 seems kind of steep, but it should be a good time.

Anyone interested in paying my way to The Black Keys show since it's on my birthday and all? 8)

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:46 pm

So, I am unable to track down the majority of the immunization records required on that health form. Would it be feasible for me to get them all at UVa clinic before Aug 31st? This sucks...

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:53 pm

Doritos wrote:So, I am unable to track down the majority of the immunization records required on that health form. Would it be feasible for me to get them all at UVa clinic before Aug 31st? This sucks...

No rush and yes.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Doritos wrote:So, I am unable to track down the majority of the immunization records required on that health form. Would it be feasible for me to get them all at UVa clinic before Aug 31st? This sucks...

a couple thoughts which may or may not help...your undergrad may have your health records, especially if you lived on campus. also, your city health department may be giving out free vaccines, they were giving out free tetanus boosters in my hometown, and possibly more (didn't check, only needed the tetanus shot).

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:19 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

No rush and yes.
A couple of things on this topic, since I got mine done yesterday:
1. The only vaccines you need are for tetanus (Tdap), MMR, and polio. The hepatitis, meningitis, and chicken pox vaccinations are only required for medical, nursing, and undergrad students. The TB test is only required if you show symptoms, have spent more than 6 weeks in one of the countries where the disease is prevalent, or have worked or volunteered in a high-risk place such as a hospital or prison.

2. If you went to public school in the U.S. (and probably even if not), you probably got the MMR and polio vaccines when you were a child. You can provide documentary proof of this, but that's difficult for a lot of people (myself included). What they can do instead is a titer, which is where they draw blood and test for the antibody. It takes 1-2 days to get the results back.

slider

Postby slider » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm in the same situation with the immunizations. I called UVA's Elson Student Health Center (http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/) and they said they could not see incoming law students until 8/16. Since we don't have our schedules yet, I couldn't make an appointment since that is the first week of class and I'm not sure what days/afternoons I will have available. As of last week, the week of August 16th was still open for appointments but they said it fills up quickly with undergrads.

Those of us still needing to fulfill our immunization requirements should probably schedule with the clinic as soon as we get our schedules.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:19 pm

The gym rules here are ridiculous. I'm fine w/paying $7 a day, but I don't want to ask a current student to chaperon me. What are some of you doing for the next two weeks to stay active?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:42 pm

Its actually a nice area to run - especially on Central Grounds, you can easily get a 3-5 mile run in without having to worry about traffic

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:43 pm

where should a nice man like myself go to get a haircut round these parts?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

dgouzoul wrote:where should a nice man like myself go to get a haircut round these parts?

If you're not black, Staples.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm

To make the prior post at least a little clearer, Staples is a barbershop in the Barracks Road shopping center. I've never used them.

I often used the Hair Cuttery, a chain barber/salon that has a location in Barracks also.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:53 pm

Staples is a great barbershop, but there are some old school southern conservative barbers there. Its more entertaining than anything else.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

No rush and yes.
1. The only vaccines you need are for tetanus (Tdap), MMR, and polio. The hepatitis, meningitis, and chicken pox vaccinations are only required for medical, nursing, and undergrad students. The TB test is only required if you show symptoms, have spent more than 6 weeks in one of the countries where the disease is prevalent, or have worked or volunteered in a high-risk place such as a hospital or prison.

2. If you went to public school in the U.S. (and probably even if not), you probably got the MMR and polio vaccines when you were a child. You can provide documentary proof of this, but that's difficult for a lot of people (myself included). What they can do instead is a titer, which is where they draw blood and test for the antibody. It takes 1-2 days to get the results back.

I just got off the phone with UVa Dept of Student Health and I was told that they required two MMrs, polio, tetanus, and tuberculosis. The hep B and Meningococcal vaccines are not required for us. The form agrees with what you are saying about the TB vaccine though, you have to get the test only if you show signs.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 pm

how are hair cuttery's prices? im a cheapskate

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Doritos wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

No rush and yes.

I just got off the phone with UVa Dept of Student Health and I was told that they required two MMrs, polio, tetanus, and tuberculosis. The hep B and Meningococcal vaccines are not required for us. The form agrees with what you are saying about the TB vaccine though, you have to get the test only if you show signs.
That's right, except that for TB you would be tested, not vaccinated. Is there a point on which we're not in agreement? If it's the matter of the titers, read the immunization form (LinkRemoved), page 2. That's where I got my info.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 pm

slider wrote:I'm in the same situation with the immunizations. I called UVA's Elson Student Health Center (http://www.virginia.edu/studenthealth/) and they said they could not see incoming law students until 8/16. Since we don't have our schedules yet, I couldn't make an appointment since that is the first week of class and I'm not sure what days/afternoons I will have available. As of last week, the week of August 16th was still open for appointments but they said it fills up quickly with undergrads.

Those of us still needing to fulfill our immunization requirements should probably schedule with the clinic as soon as we get our schedules.

Ok, so I just scheduled myself with the clinic. I did it for Aug 17 during the afternoon. The schedule has us listed for Peer Advisor sessions from 1pm until who knows when so I figure I could dip and get my shots during that time. If it's a problem the clinic said I could reschedule.

also, bg I asked the woman on the phone which vaccinations were required and she listed TB as one of them. I am thinking she meant it was required to be tested but she listed it as a required vaccination to me over the phone.
Last edited by Doritos on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 pm

dgouzoul wrote:how are hair cuttery's prices? im a cheapskate

With tip included, it's the standard $15 to $20 haircut.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm

vanwinkle wrote:To make the prior post at least a little clearer, Staples is a barbershop in the Barracks Road shopping center. I've never used them.

I often used the Hair Cuttery, a chain barber/salon that has a location in Barracks also.

Staples just can't give you a fade and a line. I looked like I had mange after I got my hair cut there. I've found that the best cut in Charlottesville involves a plane back to New York.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:To make the prior post at least a little clearer, Staples is a barbershop in the Barracks Road shopping center. I've never used them.

Staples just can't give you a fade and a line. I looked like I had mange after I got my hair cut there. I've found that the best cut in Charlottesville involves a plane back to New York.

:|

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:46 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

I know some people who swear by the barbers on Cherry Avenue...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”