UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:35 pm

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:It's a grocery store. A bit more upscale than Kroger (with prices that generally match the upscale-ness). Both of the Barracks grocery stores are 24-hours (and there's a Kroger a few thousand feet north of the Barracks one that I believe is also 24-hours and has a fuel/gas station and a larger ABC store next door).

So Kroger is less expensive than Harris Teeter?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 pm

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:56 pm

alirod12 wrote:Hey guys...I already posted on this topic, but now that it is so close to the date that we arrive I thought I would re-post. We really, really need help moving some of our big heavy pieces of furniture into our new apartment. If any of you guys want to help, I'll happily pay 50 bucks for each person who is willing to come help us for a couple hours. We'll be getting in on August 1st, probably around 4-5pm. PM me if you're interested, and we can exchange phone numbers.

Thanks!
A very small weak female.

I really would help except that I'm not coming up until August 5th, sorry.

billyez

Postby billyez » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:00 pm

alirod12 wrote:Hey guys...I already posted on this topic, but now that it is so close to the date that we arrive I thought I would re-post. We really, really need help moving some of our big heavy pieces of furniture into our new apartment. If any of you guys want to help, I'll happily pay 50 bucks for each person who is willing to come help us for a couple hours. We'll be getting in on August 1st, probably around 4-5pm. PM me if you're interested, and we can exchange phone numbers.

Thanks!
A very small weak female.

You could post it up on the UVA Class of 2013 Facebook page and see if there are any takers. The last person to ask a similar question did the same thing.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:2. Sam's Club (a warehouse store chain owned/managed by Walmart... it's like a worse version of Costco from what I'm told... there's a Sam's Club in Charlottesville) is having an "open house" Friday, 08/06 through Saturday, 08/08. They will not charge the 10% non-member fee on purchases during that weekend. They sometimes have furniture and probably have mattresses and applicances/electronics: http://www3.samsclub.com/NewsRoom/Press/751

3. Although they haven't started registration up yet, both the Harris Teeter and Kroger in Barracks Road Shopping Center offer 5% discounts on purchases (excluding alcohol, tobacco, and lottery tickets) if you register your store-specific shopper's card with them with valid UVA ID. They should start registration up sometime in August. You should also consider signing up for Harris Teeter's "e-VIC" newsletter thing (they send you emails) since you can sometimes get pretty good deals (and the coupons are automatically "loaded" to your shopper's card).

Thanks for this info - but what in the world kind of store is a Harris Teeter?

It's a grocery store. A bit more upscale than Kroger (with prices that generally match the upscale-ness). Both of the Barracks grocery stores are 24-hours (and there's a Kroger a few thousand feet north of the Barracks one that I believe is also 24-hours and has a fuel/gas station and a larger ABC store next door).

If y'all drive 5 minutes further, you can go to Giant, which is the same price as Kroger and has hand held scanners that you can use to checkout as you shop

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:37 pm

michstudent10 wrote:are there any good outlet stores (mainly for home goods) in or around cville?

Closest outlets are 2 hours away at Potomac Mills (Northern Va.) and Williamsburg.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:26 am

vamedic03 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
billyez wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:2. Sam's Club (a warehouse store chain owned/managed by Walmart... it's like a worse version of Costco from what I'm told... there's a Sam's Club in Charlottesville) is having an "open house" Friday, 08/06 through Saturday, 08/08. They will not charge the 10% non-member fee on purchases during that weekend. They sometimes have furniture and probably have mattresses and applicances/electronics: http://www3.samsclub.com/NewsRoom/Press/751

3. Although they haven't started registration up yet, both the Harris Teeter and Kroger in Barracks Road Shopping Center offer 5% discounts on purchases (excluding alcohol, tobacco, and lottery tickets) if you register your store-specific shopper's card with them with valid UVA ID. They should start registration up sometime in August. You should also consider signing up for Harris Teeter's "e-VIC" newsletter thing (they send you emails) since you can sometimes get pretty good deals (and the coupons are automatically "loaded" to your shopper's card).

Thanks for this info - but what in the world kind of store is a Harris Teeter?

It's a grocery store. A bit more upscale than Kroger (with prices that generally match the upscale-ness). Both of the Barracks grocery stores are 24-hours (and there's a Kroger a few thousand feet north of the Barracks one that I believe is also 24-hours and has a fuel/gas station and a larger ABC store next door).

If y'all drive 5 minutes further, you can go to Giant, which is the same price as Kroger and has hand held scanners that you can use to checkout as you shop

Sounds like anarchy.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:13 am

Kohinoor wrote:Sounds like anarchy.

Its the best thing ever - your checkout time is reduced to about 1 minute - you put the scanner in the dock, your total comes up, and you pay

WinningLoser2

Postby WinningLoser2 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 am

Does anyone out there still need a place to live? If so, I have got a sweet score for you. If you are interested in living right around the corner from the law school at (drum roll please) the Jeffersonian, let me know asap. I have a 2 br apartment on the top floor facing the parking lot for the first person to respond. It is 780$ per month, has new carpeting, and is in great condition. And the location can't be beat.

wforman

Postby wforman » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:15 pm

Anyone picking up a key for an ivy garden apartment tonight? I'm trying to figure out how to get my key and haven't been able to get in touch with anyone. If you know where/when I could get in touch with the staff there or are meeting them for a key drop off tonight, a PM would be awesome.

Thanks!

billyez

Postby billyez » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:20 pm

WinningLoser2 wrote:Does anyone out there still need a place to live? If so, I have got a sweet score for you. If you are interested in living right around the corner from the law school at (drum roll please) the Jeffersonian, let me know asap. I have a 2 br apartment on the top floor facing the parking lot for the first person to respond. It is 780$ per month, has new carpeting, and is in great condition. And the location can't be beat.

*Points to UVA Facebook 2013 page*

I've heard more requests from people saying that they need help moving in than posts about worrying about trying to get a place at this point.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:31 pm

WinningLoser2 wrote:Does anyone out there still need a place to live? If so, I have got a sweet score for you. If you are interested in living right around the corner from the law school at (drum roll please) the Jeffersonian, let me know asap. I have a 2 br apartment on the top floor facing the parking lot for the first person to respond. It is 780$ per month, has new carpeting, and is in great condition. And the location can't be beat.

I'd actually be interested if I could get out of my current lease.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I'd actually be interested if I could get out of my current lease.

Constructive eviction FTW.

I rarely ever get to say "constructive eviction."

It's damn close.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:40 pm

I'm back in C'ville for a few days if anyone wants to hang out. Also I've got books and things to sell, I'll probably post them here shortly, first come first served.

Wi11iam

Postby Wi11iam » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:42 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
Wi11iam wrote:
How did you find this person? And was it online or by phone? - or magic?

Right here: --LinkRemoved-- -- $19.99 first six months/$42 or so after, is for current cable customers AT THAT RESIDENCE. If not, it is what I mentioned above. The first rep I talked to didn't know what she was talking about. I called later, and two reps confirmed that the price is as above for new/non-cable customers.

Thanks for sharing this!

Finally permanently moved into my place at the Jeffersonian. Now to find a desk or two, a table and chairs and maybe a few other items of furniture... for the least amount of money possible... :)

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'm back in C'ville for a few days if anyone wants to hang out. Also I've got books and things to sell, I'll probably post them here shortly, first come first served.

If anyone wants to get together, count me in. ...I'm free for the next few weeks. :lol:

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:38 am

All moved in at Ivy - who's around? :D

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Sounds like anarchy.

Its the best thing ever - your checkout time is reduced to about 1 minute - you put the scanner in the dock, your total comes up, and you pay

+1

There are some quirks, particularly if you go through one of the U-scan stations to pay (you can take your scanner to either a U-scan or a traditional checkstand), and the way that the receipt shows the club card discounts is totally different from what you see on the scanner as you are shopping. Overall, though, it's a really cool system. The best part is that there are special discounts that you can only get by using the scanners, and your scanner makes a cash register noise to let you know you're on an aisle with such a discount.

slider

Postby slider » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:44 am

bgdddymtty wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:

+1

There are some quirks, particularly if you go through one of the U-scan stations to pay (you can take your scanner to either a U-scan or a traditional checkstand), and the way that the receipt shows the club card discounts is totally different from what you see on the scanner as you are shopping. Overall, though, it's a really cool system. The best part is that there are special discounts that you can only get by using the scanners, and your scanner makes a cash register noise to let you know you're on an aisle with such a discount.

I don't even like grocery shopping, my policy has always been: Get in and get the hell out as quickly as possible. But this sounds like fun. I may try it just for kicks.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:43 am

michstudent10 wrote:All moved in at Ivy - who's around? :D

Sorry I've been a flake. :oops:

Let's hang out today.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 am

I'll be going to Chipotle for lunch later today if anyone wants to join me!

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:42 am

Cavalier wrote:I'll be going to Chipotle for lunch later today if anyone wants to join me!

I was the first in line 11:00 AM :D

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”