UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
A Swift

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby A Swift » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:45 pm

What are you guys doing about a desk? Are you putting one in the bedroom? Do you plan to do most of your studying in the library?

jbriggs

Postby jbriggs » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm

whats up everyone, pretty last minute here but if anyone is looking for a place to live at Ivy Gardens starting in August, let me know. There is one bedroom available in a 2 bedroom- I won't be there because I took the defer a year for partial scholarship deal, but my wouldhavebeen roommate is an AWESOME 25 yr old guy about to be a 1L. PM me with questions or for more details

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 pm

A Swift wrote:What are you guys doing about a desk? Are you putting one in the bedroom? Do you plan to do most of your studying in the library?

I'm in Ivy and have a den, which I'm gonna use as an office with my desk/law bookshelf/etc. Even if you don't have a den, it seems like it'd be useful or important to have at least something for workspace even if you plan to spend most of your time in the law library. Just IMO.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 pm

TheSharklord wrote:
A Swift wrote:What are you guys doing about a desk? Are you putting one in the bedroom? Do you plan to do most of your studying in the library?

I'm in Ivy and have a den, which I'm gonna use as an office with my desk/law bookshelf/etc. Even if you don't have a den, it seems like it'd be useful or important to have at least something for workspace even if you plan to spend most of your time in the law library. Just IMO.

Def getting a desk. Don't have a den but kinda wish I had. Then again, won't have a TV, I don't think. I've heard a lot of people recommend getting big desks, because they make life that much easier in law school. Prob is going to be somewhere in the living room. Bed and desk are the two things for which I will shop around for.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm

I figure it's worth shopping around for a desk chair and for a mattress. A desk, not so much. Most of the cost of an expensive desk usually goes towards elegance, while the utility of a desk is mostly related to its size. I am considering buying a door and propping it up on 2 file cabinets. I'll run the wires through the doorknob hole.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:58 pm

dailygrind wrote:I figure it's worth shopping around for a desk chair and for a mattress. A desk, not so much. Most of the cost of an expensive desk usually goes towards elegance, while the utility of a desk is mostly related to its size. I am considering buying a door and propping it up on 2 file cabinets. I'll run the wires through the doorknob hole.

That's my plan too. I may need to sand the edges of the door or some other odds and ends, but I used to have this setup and it's great.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:

Def getting a desk. Don't have a den but kinda wish I had. Then again, won't have a TV, I don't think. I've heard a lot of people recommend getting big desks, because they make life that much easier in law school. Prob is going to be somewhere in the living room. Bed and desk are the two things for which I will shop around for.

If you need a mattress for that bed, a Mattress-in-a-Box might be a good option. They come vacuum-sealed and compressed in a small box with wheels for easy transport, and $282 with free shipping is hard to beat. Mine's still in its box in the garage, but it's gotten mostly good reviews.

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:42 am

Kind of off topic but does anyone have any info on firms that hired 1l SA's from UVA over the past three years or so. Any ideas on where to get this. Only the career office?

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:40 am

When people say that the school is offering Office 2010 for $10 do they mean the update or do they mean you can buy the program brand new?

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:14 am

joeshmo39 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:I figure it's worth shopping around for a desk chair and for a mattress. A desk, not so much. Most of the cost of an expensive desk usually goes towards elegance, while the utility of a desk is mostly related to its size. I am considering buying a door and propping it up on 2 file cabinets. I'll run the wires through the doorknob hole.

That's my plan too. I may need to sand the edges of the door or some other odds and ends, but I used to have this setup and it's great.

I personally went with a desk from IKEA, where you buy the top legs and frames separately, and can basically design it into whatever shape you like. Worked well for my needs since I wanted an astronomical amount of table space.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:20 am

SuichiKurama wrote:When people say that the school is offering Office 2010 for $10 do they mean the update or do they mean you can buy the program brand new?

Brand new. Windows 7, however (also $10), is only available as an update.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:04 pm

Things to do to keep me occupied for the ~14 days I'll be there before Orientation? I more talking about cool local attractions that I won't ever end up visiting if I don't make a concerted effort to do so.

Also, my rents will be with me the first two days. What restaurant(s) (that isn't a chain) should we go out to that is exceptional, but that I won't be able to afford on a student's budget?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:04 pm

D Brooks wrote:Things to do to keep me occupied for the ~14 days I'll be there before Orientation? I more talking about cool local attractions that I won't ever end up visiting if I don't make a concerted effort to do so.

Also, my rents will be with me the first two days. What restaurant(s) (that isn't a chain) should we go out to that is exceptional, but that I won't be able to afford on a student's budget?

Maybe C&O (downtown) or Maya (by Amtrak station) for good, expensive restaurants. Most of the expensive Cville restaurants have been disappointing to me.

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:10 pm

Cavalier wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:When people say that the school is offering Office 2010 for $10 do they mean the update or do they mean you can buy the program brand new?

Brand new. Windows 7, however (also $10), is only available as an update.

Thanks. Is this a special or should this still be there during the first week of classes?

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:38 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:

Yeah, I def am not going towards elegance, but just something big. I have also been thinking about getting a door desk. I've used them before. Just add two sturdy metal cabinets for each end. Can either one of you post on here if you find a door desk? No Home Depot around there, where I think I've seen em... gotta do more research

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Door desks seem aggressive. I won't have enough room for all that. I'll head to one of the Cville furniture stores and pick up a big desk when I get there but nothing too crazy. In UG, I did 98% of my work in the library or 24hr computer labs and I don't think much will change in the transition to LS.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:47 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:

Yeah, I def am not going towards elegance, but just something big. I have also been thinking about getting a door desk. I've used them before. Just add two sturdy metal cabinets for each end. Can either one of you post on here if you find a door desk? No Home Depot around there, where I think I've seen em... gotta do more research

There's a Lowes in Charlottesville, and from what I've seen Lowes is pretty much identical to Home Depot. As an added bonus, the utility company gave me a 10% off coupon to Lowes for signing up with them. Schweeet.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:48 pm

D Brooks wrote:Door desks seem aggressive. I won't have enough room for all that. I'll head to one of the Cville furniture stores and pick up a big desk when I get there but nothing too crazy. In UG, I did 98% of my work in the library or 24hr computer labs and I don't think much will change in the transition to LS.

They are useful though in case you need to give somebody the Rock Bottom.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:53 pm

D Brooks wrote:Door desks seem aggressive. I won't have enough room for all that. I'll head to one of the Cville furniture stores and pick up a big desk when I get there but nothing too crazy. In UG, I did 98% of my work in the library or 24hr computer labs and I don't think much will change in the transition to LS.

They're usually cool about sawing plywood for you at Lowes. If a door desk is slightly too big, they could probably be persuaded to take it down a notch for you.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Are there 24hrs computer labs/study spaces at the law school?

More importantly, will I ever need a 24hr study space?

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:02 pm

D Brooks wrote:Are there 24hrs computer labs/study spaces at the law school?

I thought you said you wanted Williams and Connolly? :wink:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:11 pm

SuichiKurama wrote:

Oh God. So law school really will be the academic/all-nighter hell I've been reading about. My friends in LS (who all to go T30 or T2 state schools) say "it's really not that bad. It's equivalent to college if you had actually done all the reading/work you were supposed to." However, I don't really know their class ranks.

SweetnessUVA

Postby SweetnessUVA » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Any gunner 0L's or lurking current students know the penalty for picking up some day laborers at Lowes to move me in for me? If its not too much (slash shouldn't be anything if I say some BS thing like, "you guys are legal, right?"), I'll be the guy sitting on my deck with a mint julep in hand.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:15 pm

SweetnessUVA wrote:Any gunner 0L's or lurking current students know the penalty for picking up some day laborers at Lowes to move me in for me? If its not too much (slash shouldn't be anything if I say some BS thing like, "you guys are legal, right?"), I'll be the guy sitting on my deck with a mint julep in hand.

:lol:

SuichiKurama

Postby SuichiKurama » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:16 pm

D Brooks wrote:
SuichiKurama wrote:

Oh God. So law school really will be the academic/all-nighter hell I've been reading about. My friends in LS (who all to go T30 or T2 state schools) say "it's really not that bad. It's equivalent to college if you had actually done all the reading/work you were supposed to." However, I don't really know their class ranks.

Damn man I was joking! :lol: I don't know (how would I) maybe it is a sick amount of studying or maybe it isn't. For the record if you read Wahool 1L's guide to his first year at UVA (where he made it to the top 10 percent) he said that he really didn't study any more than 4 hours outside of class for the first half of the semester. My insticts tell me that he may just be that naturally gifted though. Maybe Vanwinkle can answer this for us, he got Williams and Connolly level grades and from what I can tell he spent a lot of time on TLS throughout his 1L year.

In response to the bolded I only have 2 friends at top 25 schools (none at top 14 and none of the Black one's are at top 20s) and all the rest are either at schools in the 70s or tier 4's--- it made me a lot more thankful for going to UVA. I do feel a little uncomfortable though when they act like I'm some sort of virtuoso (at least the one's who know about UVA).

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”