UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'll probably try to sneak into this despite not being a 1L anymore. I love both Kurosawa films and anything hosted by Professor Coughlin, so...

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's legit if I'm a PA, right?

Also, I recommend that you participate in the Public Service day, if only so I'm not lonely. I wasn't able to do it last year, but it's supposed to be a nice way to kick off Orientation/the school year.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Are people doing the optional events on Sunday? Also, there seem to be a lot of long breaks on both Monday and Tues. I assume just opportunities to mingle.

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:31 pm

D Brooks wrote:Are people doing the optional events on Sunday? Also, there seem to be a lot of long breaks on both Monday and Tues. I assume just opportunities to mingle.

Your PA team will do its best to schedule PA meetings in those dead times so you're not hanging around with nothing to do for too long.

If possible, you'll want to set up your computer on the UVA Law network (both for wireless & printing capabilities) & purchase books before orientation begins. The clerks at the UVA Law Bookstore (housed in Slaughter Hall within the law school) are very efficient - once you find out which section you're in, just stop by & tell them and they'll set you up with the books you need. This is a good time to take advantage of the metered parking spots directly in the back of the building. Law school books are heavy, and you won't have a locker yet. Plus, parking is only $0.25 for 30 minutes & it's unlikely that all the spots will be taken as lazy/sleepy 2Ls and 3Ls won't be running late for their classes yet.

You'll also want to bring your checkbook with you to Orientation if you're interested in getting a locker. Your PAs will let you know the details, but they only accept checks (I think the fee is around $25 for the year). It can also be convenient to leave a checkbook in your locker, if you're not accustomed to carrying one, since you'll need checks occasionally for organization dues and law school events.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:34 pm

PA = 2L peer advisors?

User avatar
jdavid901
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jdavid901 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:55 pm

howcani111 wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Anyone else planning on doing the 1L Public Service Day?


I probably will, as long as I can still make it to the movie night with Anne Coughlin.


? movie night?


You're right. It's more like a movie afternoon.

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:57 pm

D Brooks wrote:PA = 2L peer advisors?

Each section has a 6 person peer advising team, generally with 4 2Ls and 2 3Ls and an even mix of M/F within the group.

howcani111
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby howcani111 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:29 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Are people doing the optional events on Sunday? Also, there seem to be a lot of long breaks on both Monday and Tues. I assume just opportunities to mingle.

Your PA team will do its best to schedule PA meetings in those dead times so you're not hanging around with nothing to do for too long.

If possible, you'll want to set up your computer on the UVA Law network (both for wireless & printing capabilities) & purchase books before orientation begins. The clerks at the UVA Law Bookstore (housed in Slaughter Hall within the law school) are very efficient - once you find out which section you're in, just stop by & tell them and they'll set you up with the books you need. This is a good time to take advantage of the metered parking spots directly in the back of the building. Law school books are heavy, and you won't have a locker yet. Plus, parking is only $0.25 for 30 minutes & it's unlikely that all the spots will be taken as lazy/sleepy 2Ls and 3Ls won't be running late for their classes yet.

You'll also want to bring your checkbook with you to Orientation if you're interested in getting a locker. Your PAs will let you know the details, but they only accept checks (I think the fee is around $25 for the year). It can also be convenient to leave a checkbook in your locker, if you're not accustomed to carrying one, since you'll need checks occasionally for organization dues and law school events.


thanks! I love how UVA Law girl thinks of random things we have to do before law school starts :)

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:47 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:Also, I recommend that you participate in the Public Service day, if only so I'm not lonely. I wasn't able to do it last year, but it's supposed to be a nice way to kick off Orientation/the school year.

I did the spring Public Service Day. It's a good way to get to know a few of your classmates, help out a local community organization, and get a brightly-colored free T-shirt. Highly recommended.

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:20 pm

So to brighten everyone's day:

We had a little celebration today with cake about my leaving the company I work for. One of the people asked where I was heading for law school. After I mentioned the University of Virginia he says "Didn't realize we had a great one in our presence". Made my day. UVA +1 layman's prestige which still leaves that area ranked at around T50.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby showNprove » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 pm

howcani111 wrote:thanks! I love how UVA Law girl thinks of random things we have to do before law school starts :)

http://hoosonline.virginia.edu/atf/cf/% ... poster.pdf

Edit: I should note that a lot of these activities are more suitable for--or only suitable for--U.Va. undergrads. I thought it was relevant, though.

User avatar
Stringer Bell
Posts: 1922
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I'll probably try to sneak into this despite not being a 1L anymore. I love both Kurosawa films and anything hosted by Professor Coughlin, so...


I am completely unfamiliar with any of his work, but the name Kurosawa just gave me an unwanted flashback to an LSAT logic game about foreign films.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 pm

So not interested in watching Rashomon. Call me up when they have a showing of New Jack City and we'll talk.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:21 pm

billyez wrote:So not interested in watching Rashomon. Call me up when they have a showing of New Jack City and we'll talk.

If you'd posted this on facebook, I'd "Like" it. But that's based more on New Jack City than any ill will towards Rashomon. I've never seen it, but from what I've heard of it, I should.

It's pretty much a resounding sentiment around TLS (and ASW too) that Coughlin is awesome. She kind of geeked me out a bit during the mock class, but that could have more to do with sitting at eye level right in the front and only looking at the opinion for the first time once she started asking questions.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm glad I attended her mock class at the ASW, certainly. I remember being quite happy that I had already read the case for one of my UG classes so I didn't have to worry about that very much. :wink:

Rashomon has struck me as one of those movies that's a classic and which deserves respect, but not something I'd really like. I've seen some of it before and I know what it's about. I also feel like the conversation about it would be so bland. Yes, yes, I know that everyone has a different Vantage Point in regards to what they see...moving on.

I'll def. be at the Public Service Day thing before though. I gues sit depends on how many people there say it's worth going to see.

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:47 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:I'll probably try to sneak into this despite not being a 1L anymore. I love both Kurosawa films and anything hosted by Professor Coughlin, so...


I am completely unfamiliar with any of his work, but the name Kurosawa just gave me an unwanted flashback to an LSAT logic game about foreign films.

It gave me an unwanted flashback to that Barenaked Ladies song.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby showNprove » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Rashomon is actually a great movie, although it's probably not that entertaining for modern, English-speaking viewers. It was well ahead of its time. Plus, the (purposeful) over-the-top acting is hilarious.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 pm

i watched Rashomon in a film class in undergrad. it's worth a watch but, like someone above said, it's no New Jack City

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:39 pm

OK, my firm, which used to recruit from Seton Hall and St. John's fielded a SA class exclusively from the T6 this year. Panic. in. the. streets.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:02 am

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:22 am

So I just called to set up my cable for my Ivy Garden apartment and they do NOT offer Showtime!!! No Dexter?! No Nurse Jackie?! No US of Tara?! :shock:

...Is there any way around this tragedy? (and yes, I know I'm being dramatic but I am a true TV addict)

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:25 am

..

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 am

no dexter is tragic indeed. im gonna get my old man to burn the episodes for me to dvds and mail them to me.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:45 am

..

User avatar
ogman05
Posts: 266
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby ogman05 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:52 am

^^^ What YC said. I was thinking the same thing. Netflix at $10 a month is a deal.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:06 am

Kohinoor wrote:OK, my firm, which used to recruit from Seton Hall and St. John's fielded a SA class exclusively from the T6 this year. Panic. in. the. streets.

:|




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest