UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:37 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I'm a foodie and I still consider Aqui es Mexico to be top tier Mexican food in terms of both authenticity and taste. Add price and its tops.

¿Donde es "Aqui es Mexico"? It and I have yet to become acquainted.

It's down Market street. It's admittedly farther away than Chipotle, El Puerto, and Guadalajara but if you want good Mexican there are no real substitutes.

Dude, I'd drive to Richmond for some good Mexican food (except I doubt I'd find any there). I'll have to go check them out.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I'm a foodie and I still consider Aqui es Mexico to be top tier Mexican food in terms of both authenticity and taste. Add price and its tops.

It's down Market street. It's admittedly farther away than Chipotle, El Puerto, and Guadalajara but if you want good Mexican there are no real substitutes.

Dude, I'd drive to Richmond for some good Mexican food (except I doubt I'd find any there). I'll have to go check them out.

Charlottesville has a Chipotle?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:55 pm

kurama20 wrote:Charlottesville has a Chipotle?

Imagine a hill where the road running up it is about three blocks long from the bottom to the top. That's Arlington Blvd.

At the top of the hill is the law school.

At the bottom of the hill is Barracks Road Shopping Center, which has the Chipotle.

I think there are people here who keep track of time in how many days it's been since their last time at Chipotle.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:57 pm

kurama20 wrote:

Barracks shopping center is about 7 minutes walk from the school and has Chipotle, fast food, a nice bakery (Hot Cakes) and coffee shop, some ethnic food and low (Buffalo Wild Wings/Ruby Tuesday) to mid (Tara Thai) range bars.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Barracks shopping center is about 7 minutes walk from the school and has Chipotle, fast food, a nice bakery (Hot Cakes) and coffee shop, some ethnic food and low (Buffalo Wild Wings/Ruby Tuesday) to mid (Tara Thai) range bars.

Sounds about what I expected.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:52 pm

seat deposit number one down. i had to make a lot of lattes to pay for that...

ok so question. Is it appropriate for me to put UVA law class of 2013 - Admitted or something like that on the old resume? I'm trying to get a legit job that doesnt include slicing bagels and figured that could help me. What do you guys think?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

HJO

Postby HJO » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:39 pm

So when the application comes available on Jan. 1 for the Jeffersonian Apartments does that require a deposit? If I want to live alone in a 1 BR place close to school (walking distance) is that the best place for me. I feel weird committing to an apartment that I have never seen but I may do that because living alone is pretty high up on my list of importance.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:42 pm

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:46 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
HJO wrote:So when the application comes available on Jan. 1 for the Jeffersonian Apartments does that require a deposit? If I want to live alone in a 1 BR place close to school (walking distance) is that the best place for me. I feel weird committing to an apartment that I have never seen but I may do that because living alone is pretty high up on my list of importance.

No. They probably won't get to your app until at least February, and probably around March-ish. You will have to pay a deposit of one month's rent then. There is no app fee.

If you want to live close to the law school in a one bedroom, Jeffersonian is a great choice.

it's 670 a month isn't it?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:51 pm

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:09 pm

How low are we talking when it comes to rent. I am willing to live in a shack. I would like to be reasonably close aka i dont want to have to leave 2 hours before class to make it there on time but I don't need to be a hop skip and a jump away either.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:04 pm

all the people from the '12 thread just moved to this one

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:27 pm

CE2JD wrote:all the people from the '12 thread just moved to this one

probably because this one is better.

elliefont

Postby elliefont » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:39 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

try this: http://stunteater.wordpress.com/2009/01 ... sville-va/

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:07 pm

I just ate there! Oh, man, that place makes some good tacos. They remind me of the ones I could get from a little stand in front of this truck stop back home. That's exactly what I've been looking for.

HJO

Postby HJO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:07 am

YCrevolution wrote:
HJO wrote:So when the application comes available on Jan. 1 for the Jeffersonian Apartments does that require a deposit? If I want to live alone in a 1 BR place close to school (walking distance) is that the best place for me. I feel weird committing to an apartment that I have never seen but I may do that because living alone is pretty high up on my list of importance.

No. They probably won't get to your app until at least February, and probably around March-ish. You will have to pay a deposit of one month's rent then. There is no app fee.

If you want to live close to the law school in a one bedroom, Jeffersonian is a great choice.

Is Ivy Gardens nicer than Jeffersonian? They look to be a little farther away but not too far. What complex has more law students? How far is the walk from Ivy Gardens?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am

HJO

Postby HJO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:15 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
HJO wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:

Is Ivy Gardens nicer than Jeffersonian? They look to be a little farther away but not too far. What complex has more law students? How far is the walk from Ivy Gardens?

They're about the same quality. Ivy Gardens has a lot more law students since it has a lot more apartments (~480 vs. ~85). Ivy Gardens is about seven to twelve minutes walking distance from the law school, depending on which end of the complex you live (you'd want to live at the "back"); Jeffersonian is about three or four minutes (and also within five minutes walking distance of Barrack Road Shopping Center). Management is rumored to be pretty unresponsive at Ivy Gardens, and you have to get most/all of your utilities through NTC (and I think you can't get digital cable in Ivy Gardens), which packages up utility services and then charges a premium.

Interesting. Thanks for the great info. Are there other places I should be looking for a 1 BR besides Ivy and Jeffersonian? It sounds like maybe Jeffersonian is the better bet if I can get a place there.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:They're about the same quality. Ivy Gardens has a lot more law students since it has a lot more apartments (~480 vs. ~85). Ivy Gardens is about seven to twelve minutes walking distance from the law school, depending on which end of the complex you live (you'd want to live at the "back"); Jeffersonian is about three or four minutes (and also within five minutes walking distance of Barrack Road Shopping Center). Management is rumored to be pretty unresponsive at Ivy Gardens, and you have to get most/all of your utilities through NTC (and I think you can't get digital cable in Ivy Gardens), which packages up utility services and then charges a premium.

Seriously? I can't say I'm a fan of that.

HJO

Postby HJO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:10 pm

I just requested to join the FB group. I assume most of you are already in it? 57 members already.

http://www.facebook.com/search/?q=virgi ... 8682109..1

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:They're about the same quality. Ivy Gardens has a lot more law students since it has a lot more apartments (~480 vs. ~85). Ivy Gardens is about seven to twelve minutes walking distance from the law school, depending on which end of the complex you live (you'd want to live at the "back"); Jeffersonian is about three or four minutes (and also within five minutes walking distance of Barrack Road Shopping Center). Management is rumored to be pretty unresponsive at Ivy Gardens, and you have to get most/all of your utilities through NTC (and I think you can't get digital cable in Ivy Gardens), which packages up utility services and then charges a premium.

NTC's cable lineup varies from place to place. I just looked it up on NTC's website and they currently offer two HD channels in the Ivy Gardens lineup: The local NBC and PBS stations. Yeah, that's real impressive right there. You can look at the full cable lineup for Ivy Gardens on their website.

I despise Ivy Gardens more for their application process. You can't wait to find out what apartment you're being offered or what move-in date; you have to pay an application fee and a deposit and then they contact you with what room and move-in date they're offering you. They won't let you move in later than the first available day for that room; if you want to move in August 1, but the only room they have available is starting June 15, you have to start paying rent on June 15. They don't even tell you that's the case until you submit your app.

I tried talking to them on the phone and in E-mail and was told that they had stuff starting in mid-late July, which wasn't too bad since I wanted an August 1 move-in, and I told them I wanted to get one of those rooms, but they told me they couldn't hold it for me, I'd have to pay my deposit first. So I sent in a deposit... and then got told that other people had sent in deposits for those rooms ahead of me, but they had a room starting June 10 if I wanted it.

Ended up declining because that would've ended up wasting over $1000 on rent for an apartment I wasn't using. They kept the $20 app fee, though. It's a racket, they basically charge you $20 to find out whether or not the room they told you is available is actually available. On the other hand, while the business end of things for them is abominably bad, I've been in their apartments and they're quite nice...

HJO

Postby HJO » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:31 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:

NTC's cable lineup varies from place to place. I just looked it up on NTC's website and they currently offer two HD channels in the Ivy Gardens lineup: The local NBC and PBS stations. Yeah, that's real impressive right there. You can look at the full cable lineup for Ivy Gardens on their website.

I despise Ivy Gardens more for their application process. You can't wait to find out what apartment you're being offered or what move-in date; you have to pay an application fee and a deposit and then they contact you with what room and move-in date they're offering you. They won't let you move in later than the first available day for that room; if you want to move in August 1, but the only room they have available is starting June 15, you have to start paying rent on June 15. They don't even tell you that's the case until you submit your app.

I tried talking to them on the phone and in E-mail and was told that they had stuff starting in mid-late July, which wasn't too bad since I wanted an August 1 move-in, and I told them I wanted to get one of those rooms, but they told me they couldn't hold it for me, I'd have to pay my deposit first. So I sent in a deposit... and then got told that other people had sent in deposits for those rooms ahead of me, but they had a room starting June 10 if I wanted it.

Ended up declining because that would've ended up wasting over $1000 on rent for an apartment I wasn't using. They kept the $20 app fee, though. It's a racket, they basically charge you $20 to find out whether or not the room they told you is available is actually available. On the other hand, while the business end of things for them is abominably bad, I've been in their apartments and they're quite nice...

Ivy Gardens>Jeffersonian?

The Jeffersonian app process seems easier.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm

How did you current students go about finding a roommate? ASD? I am from out of state and want to live for cheap...

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”