UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D Brooks

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:42 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:2Ls: Please list the best three sports bars (other than BW3s) where I can spend all Saturday watching college football the Pittsburgh Panthers crush up on kids.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Mardy Gilyard? Tony Pike? Any of those names ring a bell.

I'll be sporting my Cincinnati and Michigan jerseys every Saturday afternoon this fall.

They ring a bell for certain. They were two of the best offensive players in the Big East last year... before they GRADUATED.

Zach Collaros, Isiah Pead, Armon Binns, Vidal Hazelton, etc.

7 of the top 25 best players in the Big East according to ESPN.

So I know DC gets the Big East Network. Please tell me Cville does as well?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:56 pm

gladiator wrote:3 Sports Bars or the like other than BWW: Boylan Heights, Mellow Mushroom, West Main. Unless I'm blanking, Boylan Heights wins out pretty easily (and has good burgers).

OGI: You get 50 bids, 40% are essentially lottery (more complicated than that but not really necessary to know the details at this point), 60% are pre-select. Details on firms are released around 3-4 weeks in advance and then you find out what interviews you got around the end of July. Interviews are 20 or 30 min each and run for 2 weeks in the middle of August and then you pray for callbacks. It's an unpleasant process.

BWW is pretty terrible. I actually don't love any of the sports bars here but I may be pretty picky about sports bars. Boylan is nice enough but I'd head to Wild Wings Cafe to watch anything of substance.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 pm

i just want Ravens games

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:09 am

Houston will win more games than Cincinnati and Pitt this year, bank on it. Case Keenum for Heisman.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:20 am

What was that? Couldn't read your post because of the glare from

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:56 am

Folks were talking about meeting up before Orientation. Was anything made concrete about that?

lilspainishflea

Postby lilspainishflea » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:03 am

For all of the procrastinators out there who don't have housing lined up:

26 year old male with a 2BR/2 bath ground floor apartment in Ivy Gardens adjacent to the pool and laundry rooms. No roommate gender preference as I'm pretty easy-going and have lived with both in the past. Lease begins on 1 August and the apartment rent is $950/month.

Hope your Summer is going well! Please let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 am

D Brooks wrote:What was that? Couldn't read your post because of the glare from

You missed the next image in the series where Lance Stephenson cuts off the finger to steal the ring.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:27 am

1. I absolutely concur about Donovan being a blessing in the Career Services Office.

2. For the Pittsburgh Panthers fan: Boylan Heights, if I remember correctly, is a Pittsburgh Steelers bar. You might get a lot of your sports there.

3. OGI process:

First 60%: Firms pre-select students
Second 20%: Pre-select/lottery hybrid, where firms pre-select students who put that firm in their top-5 bids (purpose: so firms know students who are serious about wanting to work for them)
Final 20%: Lottery

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:29 am

McGrady's on Preston is also a Steelers bar, I think.

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:48 am

gladiator wrote:3 Sports Bars or the like other than BWW: Boylan Heights, Mellow Mushroom, West Main. Unless I'm blanking, Boylan Heights wins out pretty easily (and has good burgers).

OGI: You get 50 bids, 40% are essentially lottery (more complicated than that but not really necessary to know the details at this point), 60% are pre-select. Details on firms are released around 3-4 weeks in advance and then you find out what interviews you got around the end of July. Interviews are 20 or 30 min each and run for 2 weeks in the middle of August and then you pray for callbacks. It's an unpleasant process.

showNprove wrote:1. I absolutely concur about Donovan being a blessing in the Career Services Office.

2. For the Pittsburgh Panthers fan: Boylan Heights, if I remember correctly, is a Pittsburgh Steelers bar. You might get a lot of your sports there.

3. OGI process:

Second 20%: Pre-select/lottery hybrid, where firms pre-select students who put that firm in their top-5 bids (purpose: so firms know students who are serious about wanting to work for them)

These explanations pretty much sum it up. While the OGI process is very similar year-to-year, this is the first year we've had the 60/20/20 division. It came about as a result of Career Services analyzing where the successes were in the Class of 2011's OGI process and where the weak spots were, conferring with employers about what they want, and consulting with the student body (primarily through the representation of the SBA) to get their opinion. My sense is that this is not a Career Services that is satisfied with doing something in a certain way just because that's the way it's been done, so if they determine there's a way to put you all in a better position for success, the details of how the OGI works may change slightly.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:52 am

showNprove wrote:2. For the Pittsburgh Panthers fan: Boylan Heights, if I remember correctly, is a Pittsburgh Steelers bar. You might get a lot of your sports there.

I said this at ASW and people looked at me like I had four heads.

joeshmo39 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:img

You missed the next image in the series where Lance Stephenson cuts off the finger to steal the ring.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:56 am

Another question: Did anyone already submit their health forms? If so, how? I was under the impression that we don't have our University ID #s yet. :?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:59 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Another question: Did anyone already submit their health forms? If so, how? I was under the impression that we don't have our University ID #s yet. :?

It says somewhere to leave that blank if you don't have one yet, maybe on the website. So that's what I did.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

5ky wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Another question: Did anyone already submit their health forms? If so, how? I was under the impression that we don't have our University ID #s yet. :?

It says somewhere to leave that blank if you don't have one yet, maybe on the website. So that's what I did.

Ahhh, thanks!

heathbar88

Postby heathbar88 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Fill out the form on the bottom of this page:
https://whois.virginia.edu/uid/

Your Student Information System ID (that you got in the email with your computing ID from Hulvey) goes in the blank next to UVa Student System ID Number.

HTH!

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:31 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:

showNprove wrote:1. I absolutely concur about Donovan being a blessing in the Career Services Office.

3. OGI process:

These explanations pretty much sum it up. While the OGI process is very similar year-to-year, this is the first year we've had the 60/20/20 division. It came about as a result of Career Services analyzing where the successes were in the Class of 2011's OGI process and where the weak spots were, conferring with employers about what they want, and consulting with the student body (primarily through the representation of the SBA) to get their opinion. My sense is that this is not a Career Services that is satisfied with doing something in a certain way just because that's the way it's been done, so if they determine there's a way to put you all in a better position for success, the details of how the OGI works may change slightly.
Thanks for this info, and I'm glad to hear the CS looks to optimize things. I'd imagine that that leads to more job opportunities.

As far as the pre-select part of OGI goes, I'm a bit confused. Do these firms just look at grades and resumes and start extending invitations to students who may have no interest in a given firm? Or do you give other info such as preferred geography, area of the law, etc.?

Also for the lottery part, how does it work? It sort of sounds like you have an unlimited number of "tickets." How many firms can you bid on? Also, since you prioritize those bids, how does that work in concept with the lottery concept? Or is lottery a misnomer, and it's really more like an auction, with your priority being your bid amount?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:01 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Thanks for this info, and I'm glad to hear the CS looks to optimize things. I'd imagine that that leads to more job opportunities.

As far as the pre-select part of OGI goes, I'm a bit confused. Do these firms just look at grades and resumes and start extending invitations to students who may have no interest in a given firm? Or do you give other info such as preferred geography, area of the law, etc.?

Also for the lottery part, how does it work? It sort of sounds like you have an unlimited number of "tickets." How many firms can you bid on? Also, since you prioritize those bids, how does that work in concept with the lottery concept? Or is lottery a misnomer, and it's really more like an auction, with your priority being your bid amount?

Pre-Select:

Some firms ask for cover letters, where you can express your interests more explicitly. Other firms just ask for resumes and transcripts to find qualified/good fit candidates and assume that you are interested if you bid on them. You are only allowed to bid on 50 firms (of about 160+ this year), so firms know that you've picked places you're at least somewhat interested in. They find out the details in the screening interview on campus.

Lottery:

Career Services has an algorithm where people get interviews with the firms they have ranked the highest. If there are no remaining interview slots with your #2 bid, then your #3 bid gains more weight relative to other people's #3 bids. This way, there will be less of a chance that you miss out on both your #2 and #3 firms because you have priority in your #3 choice. If somehow you get screwed and don't get interviews with your #1, #2, and #3 bids, you'd be practically guaranteed to get your #4 bid (assuming the firm still has open slots) because the system will put you at the front of the line. This lottery continues until all of the interview slots are filled (or until they go through everyone's entire list).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:05 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:22 pm

:?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:24 pm

D Brooks wrote::?

lol. It's too early for :? . You're starting law school in a month! Keep that enthusiasm up!

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote::?

lol. It's too early for :? . You're starting law school in a month! Keep that enthusiasm up!

Its really not that bad of a system

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:48 pm

heathbar88 wrote:

Fill out the form on the bottom of this page:
https://whois.virginia.edu/uid/

Your Student Information System ID (that you got in the email with your computing ID from Hulvey) goes in the blank next to UVa Student System ID Number.

HTH!

Baller! Thanks! :D

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:00 pm

thesealocust wrote:The University of Virginia School of Law's Simple and Straight Forward On Grounds Recruiting System

Sounds fun =P

slider

Postby slider » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Wow.. anyone else find this ATL article kind of harsh?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/07/uva-law- ... -all-time/

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”