UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby rsr28 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:07 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jnorsky wrote:Are there any outdoor bball courts on campus that people play at during the summer or the school year?

There's one right off of Copeley field.


I have never once seen anyone play at that court. It is not a nice court at all. There are very nice courts at Emmett & McCormick that have lights and seem to be busy when the weather is nice.

rsr28
Posts: 71
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby rsr28 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:08 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
A Swift wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
A Swift wrote:So for those of us without loans, what amount are you approving your loans for?

How's that now? :?


Sorry. What I mean is: of the amount offered in loans, how much are you guys accepting? (aka, the amount you are taking out to cover COL)

Ahh... I'm not representative of the average 1L. I've got to take out enough for two people to live off of until my gf find's a job. Then I'm riding the gravy train straight to Less Debt Station 2L and 3L. 8)


jnorsky wrote:Are there any outdoor bball courts on campus that people play at during the summer or the school year?


This is important. We need to discuss it, people. I must apologize in advance to all those who will be my teammates, I'm only 5'11 and 3/4".

And is anyone interested in playing some soccer? I've been playing with the 1st and 2nd graders are work and realized I miss it.


There are twice-or-three times weekly pick-up games at The Park. Or at least there have been the past two years and I don't think there is any reason to think they won't continue this year. However, they are often at a time that conflicts with 1L classes in the fall so not too many 1Ls seem to come out first semester.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 pm

..

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 pm

The thing about not being able to cook is that you can only make, usually, pasta, which is very cheap. That keep costs down. Conclusion: eat spaghetti and take a multi-vitamin.

Also, Kohinoor, your posts are consistently hilarious. Just wanted to give you some recognition.

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby plum » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:27 pm

joeshmo39 wrote: Conclusion: eat spaghetti and take a multi-vitamin.


lolz.
i have a feeling my penchant for fine wines and dining is going to be my downfall. i don't really buy clothes or electronics or splurge on anything except gluttony. it's my main vice. hmm i wonder how i'll fare keeping that in check.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:35 pm

plum wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote: Conclusion: eat spaghetti and take a multi-vitamin.


lolz.
i have a feeling my penchant for fine wines and dining is going to be my downfall. i don't really buy clothes or electronics or splurge on anything except gluttony. it's my main vice. hmm i wonder how i'll fare keeping that in check.


I realized long ago I have no money for wine so I've developed a love for craft beer. It's rewarding and relatively cheap. I rarely buy clothes myself but do love some technology now and then. I am pretty set for now I think. I need to buy an external HD and I perhaps a laptop. I already have a cheapo HDTV which is fine and a solid stereo. JBL L36 decade series baby, twice as old as I am, they just don't make them like that anymore.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:44 pm

perhaps a laptop


yes i'd say so

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:50 pm

dgouzoul wrote:
perhaps a laptop


yes i'd say so


What that train wreck of a sentence was trying to communicate was that I have a laptop but may buy a new one.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:56 pm

5 MINUTES UNTIL OGI BIDS FINALIZE. RIOT IN THE STREETS. AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:59 pm

..

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:5 MINUTES UNTIL OGI BIDS FINALIZE. RIOT IN THE STREETS. AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I think I should get an award for having over 100 bids.

You are a hero sir. My last 10 bids were definitely 'I just don't care anymore' bids.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:06 pm

..

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:5 MINUTES UNTIL OGI BIDS FINALIZE. RIOT IN THE STREETS. AGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I think I should get an award for having over 100 bids.

You are a hero sir. My last 10 bids were definitely 'I just don't care anymore' bids.

So happy that's done with (for now)

In related news, Kevin Donovan should be nominated for sainthood. Talk about dedication...

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby bgdddymtty » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:09 pm

You guys care to weigh in with a more detailed explanation of OGI bidding/lottery/pre-selection/whatever? I've heard bits and pieces, but not enough to get a decent idea of how things really work.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 pm

..

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:14 pm

2Ls: Please list the best three sports bars (other than BW3s) where I can spend all Saturday watching college football.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:17 pm

..

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:21 pm

D Brooks wrote:2Ls: Please list the best three sports bars (other than BW3s) where I can spend all Saturday watching college football the Pittsburgh Panthers crush up on kids.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:23 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
uvagirl0708 wrote:In related news, Kevin Donovan should be nominated for sainthood. Talk about dedication...

Concur. I didn't develop a full appreciation of his skills until this summer.

What's up with the love for Donovan? I respect the opinions of the 2L's, so this is an encouraging endorsement.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:26 pm

..

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:27 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:You guys care to weigh in with a more detailed explanation of OGI bidding/lottery/pre-selection/whatever? I've heard bits and pieces, but not enough to get a decent idea of how things really work.

I'm a sort of wiped out at the moment, but I promise to give you a run down of how the process works tomorrow.

uvagirl0708
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby uvagirl0708 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 pm

YCrevolution wrote:I don't think the man has spent more than 4 hours away from the phone/computer in the past 72 hours, and he's generally been pretty quick to respond to email questions. He's also the point man for dealing with issues when Symplicity decides that it should make the bidding process more difficult/buggy/opaque. Plus, he actually provides useful bidding advice.

Maybe I just had low expectations given the competency of my undergrad's career services people, but I admit I'm impressed with Donovan. (If only he could guarantee us jobs.)
(emphasis added to YC's words)

He's pretty much done everything but this. He's totally devoted to helping students - and in crunch times like the period leading up to OGI bids, that extends to sacrificing sleep, personal time, lunch, etc. I'm baking him cookies (and maybe I'll get a dog biscuit for Gus).

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:43 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:2Ls: Please list the best three sports bars (other than BW3s) where I can spend all Saturday watching college football the Pittsburgh Panthers crush up on kids.


LOLOLOLOLOL

Mardy Gilyard? Tony Pike? Any of those names ring a bell.

I'll be sporting my Cincinnati and Michigan jerseys every Saturday afternoon this fall.

User avatar
gladiator
Posts: 1211
Joined: Mon May 28, 2007 12:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby gladiator » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:51 pm

3 Sports Bars or the like other than BWW: Boylan Heights, Mellow Mushroom, West Main. Unless I'm blanking, Boylan Heights wins out pretty easily (and has good burgers).

OGI: You get 50 bids, 40% are essentially lottery (more complicated than that but not really necessary to know the details at this point), 60% are pre-select. Details on firms are released around 3-4 weeks in advance and then you find out what interviews you got around the end of July. Interviews are 20 or 30 min each and run for 2 weeks in the middle of August and then you pray for callbacks. It's an unpleasant process.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:17 pm

D Brooks wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:2Ls: Please list the best three sports bars (other than BW3s) where I can spend all Saturday watching college football the Pittsburgh Panthers crush up on kids.


LOLOLOLOLOL

Mardy Gilyard? Tony Pike? Any of those names ring a bell.

I'll be sporting my Cincinnati and Michigan jerseys every Saturday afternoon this fall.


They ring a bell for certain. They were two of the best offensive players in the Big East last year... before they GRADUATED.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest