UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
michstudent10

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:00 am

sorry if this has been asked before but... how do students typically dress for class on a daily basis? i've heard mixed things & i just want to make sure i'm not the only one decked out in comfies all the time!

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:30 am

michstudent10 wrote:sorry if this has been asked before but... how do students typically dress for class on a daily basis? i've heard mixed things & i just want to make sure i'm not the only one decked out in comfies all the time!
I got my comfies ready:
DELETED

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:32 am

Please don't ever make me look at something like that again.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:36 am

michstudent10 wrote:sorry if this has been asked before but... how do students typically dress for class on a daily basis? i've heard mixed things & i just want to make sure i'm not the only one decked out in comfies all the time!

Most students dress casually.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am

Cavalier wrote:

Most students dress casually.

Haha alright, thanks. As for that picture.... I can assure you I'll never dress THAT comfy :shock:

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:56 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
slider wrote:
A Swift wrote:Any one have, or know where to find, pictures of the bedrooms in Ivy? (other than the Ivy website)

I'm hoping a picture with someone's furniture already in can give me an idea of the kinda space we will have.

Thanks!

I'm curious about this as well. I want to start looking at furniture but I'm not sure what size is appropriate.

My suggestions (if money is no object... this is from a space perspective):

Living Room/Dining Area
-one couch
-one loveseat or two large chairs
-A/V-related furniture
-coffee table
-one to two small side-/end-tables
-dining table with four chairs (six chairs is possible but will be tight)

Bedroom
-one queen size bed
-one nightstand
-one desk (roughly medium sized)
-one dresser

Balcony/Patio
-one to two folding patio chairs
-one small deck table
-small grill (I think you're allowed to grill on any floor but you should check)

If you have all of this furniture, you're Ivy apartment will be nicely appointed, but shouldn't feel too cramped.

I think these suggestions are 100% on point. Technically speaking, you're not allowed to grill on ANY balcony in Ivy, but we have a small hibachi-style grill & haven't gotten in trouble for it. I recommend that if you're looking to purchase a grill, get one that at least looks like you could transport it to use 15' away from the building (which is the fire code requirement).

I live in a 1 bedroom + den in Ivy. I'd feel weird about posting pictures of my place on the internet, but if you DM me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you photos of my place if you want a more concrete idea of how things fit together.

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:01 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I got here early since my wife's expecting, and since I live in student family housing, I figgered I could go pick up my ID and turn some of my fatness into fitness. Anyway, when I went to the ID office the lady there told me we could start getting ID's on August 1. See y'all suckafoos at the gym then.

Er... there may be (almost definitely is) a lag of a week or two between getting the card and getting gym access.
Not cool, man. Not cool.

I think it's an even longer lag time than that, actually. I gave the main gym a ring on your behalf, and, while the person who answered couldn't be positive (since it's a Sunday, I was talking to someone at the front desk instead of in the business office), she thought it was sometime around August 25.

We do, however, have a .54 mile track, complete with lights at night, bathrooms, and water fountains, very close to the law school (in the area know as "The Park"), and Charlottesville is a very runner-friendly city. I also have a nice 8 mile in-and-out run starting from Ivy that I can send to anyone who's interested - I just recommend that you start your runs very early or very late in the day; it can be quite hot in the summer around here.

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:10 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:Anyone care to post how much they pay in utilities for an ivy garden sized apartment (optimally a 1BR w/ Den) per month? I'm trying to figure how much of the loan disbursement i need to allocate to actually living in the apartment between rent and utilities.

Wondering this as well, if anyone has info about a 2BR

I pay $35 to $75 a month for my one bedroom (not at Ivy but about the same size). The higher costs during summer and the lower costs during winter... I deal with cold better than heat. I'd say average cost of $55 a month.

YC, you're doing much better than me. I'm in a 1BR + Den in Ivy and pay an average of $65 for water (they do it by building, though, so during the summer months, I'm paying closer to $10) and $100 for electricity (which includes heat). In case anyone's wondering, our NTC bill is $81 a month for cable + internet. Another expense to keep in mind when living in Ivy: laundry. Each load is $3 ($1.50 for wash/$1.50 for dry). There are no coin machines in Ivy, so stock up on quarters unless you plan to use a laundry service.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:25 pm

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:32 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:I got here early since my wife's expecting, and since I live in student family housing, I figgered I could go pick up my ID and turn some of my fatness into fitness. Anyway, when I went to the ID office the lady there told me we could start getting ID's on August 1. See y'all suckafoos at the gym then.

Er... there may be (almost definitely is) a lag of a week or two between getting the card and getting gym access.
Not cool, man. Not cool.

I think it's an even longer lag time than that, actually. I gave the main gym a ring on your behalf, and, while the person who answered couldn't be positive (since it's a Sunday, I was talking to someone at the front desk instead of in the business office), she thought it was sometime around August 25.

We do, however, have a .54 mile track, complete with lights at night, bathrooms, and water fountains, very close to the law school (in the area know as "The Park"), and Charlottesville is a very runner-friendly city. I also have a nice 8 mile in-and-out run starting from Ivy that I can send to anyone who's interested - I just recommend that you start your runs very early or very late in the day; it can be quite hot in the summer around here.
Thanks for making that call. What's the deal with that? I assumed it was simply a matter of walk in the door, show your ID, go work out. This is apparently not the case.

I'm trying to get myself to do the running thing, but it's tough to get started. I'm a fat guy with flat feet, so running's never been my thing. I live down the street from you, so going to The Park is probably my best bet. I think I'm going to start by just getting into the daily habit of walking to school and back and then see if I can muster further motivation.

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:Thanks for making that call. What's the deal with that? I assumed it was simply a matter of walk in the door, show your ID, go work out. This is apparently not the case.

They sell summer memberships, so my guess is they try to make 'summer' as long as possible to con people into paying (gym membership during the school year is already included in your fees).

bgdddymtty wrote:I'm trying to get myself to do the running thing, but it's tough to get started. I'm a fat guy with flat feet, so running's never been my thing. I live down the street from you, so going to The Park is probably my best bet. I think I'm going to start by just getting into the daily habit of walking to school and back and then see if I can muster further motivation.

If you're interested in picking up running, we're lucky to have two really great running stores in Charlottesville that will analyze your gait and help you find the best shoes for you - Ragged Mountain Running Store on the Corner & Charlottesville Running Store on the downtown mall. If you mention you're a student at Ragged Mountain, or if you bring in your old shoes to donate at Charlottesville Running Store, they'll give you a discount (I believe around 10%, but it would be wise to call ahead and check their current policies).

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:15 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:
I live in a 1 bedroom + den in Ivy. I'd feel weird about posting pictures of my place on the internet, but if you DM me your e-mail address, I'd be happy to send you photos of my place if you want a more concrete idea of how things fit together.

I decided to make a photobucket account, so you can just comment here or DM me and I'll send you the link & password (in case you'd rather not send me your e-mail address).

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:34 pm

I wouldn't mind a look! Though, basically everything I needed is already bought so it's more of a buyer's validation kind of thing. ;)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:53 pm

Just as an FYI, the Regal Downtown movie theater validates parking. I spent the entire year paying for parking because I didn't realize that. As another FYI, the mediterranean place downtown is quite delicious but still markedly inferior to Basil when you take into account that it's about 50% more expensive.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:33 pm

uvagirl0708 wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
5ky wrote:
TheSharklord wrote:Anyone care to post how much they pay in utilities for an ivy garden sized apartment (optimally a 1BR w/ Den) per month? I'm trying to figure how much of the loan disbursement i need to allocate to actually living in the apartment between rent and utilities.

Wondering this as well, if anyone has info about a 2BR

I pay $35 to $75 a month for my one bedroom (not at Ivy but about the same size). The higher costs during summer and the lower costs during winter... I deal with cold better than heat. I'd say average cost of $55 a month.

YC, you're doing much better than me. I'm in a 1BR + Den in Ivy and pay an average of $65 for water (they do it by building, though, so during the summer months, I'm paying closer to $10) and $100 for electricity (which includes heat). In case anyone's wondering, our NTC bill is $81 a month for cable + internet. Another expense to keep in mind when living in Ivy: laundry. Each load is $3 ($1.50 for wash/$1.50 for dry). There are no coin machines in Ivy, so stock up on quarters unless you plan to use a laundry service.

What laundry service do you guys use? Will they come pick-up and drop off?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:47 pm

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Just as an FYI, the Regal Downtown movie theater validates parking. I spent the entire year paying for parking because I didn't realize that. As another FYI, the mediterranean place downtown is quite delicious but still markedly inferior to Basil when you take into account that it's about 50% more expensive.

If you're not aware, a lot of places downtown validate parking.

Also the price vs. quality issue is unfortunately fairly prevalent in my opinion at Downtown restaurants.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:26 pm

gladiator wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Just as an FYI, the Regal Downtown movie theater validates parking. I spent the entire year paying for parking because I didn't realize that. As another FYI, the mediterranean place downtown is quite delicious but still markedly inferior to Basil when you take into account that it's about 50% more expensive.

Also the price vs. quality issue is unfortunately fairly prevalent in my opinion at Downtown restaurants.

Best places downtown - Fleurie, Hamilton's, Bizou, and C&O . . . the Upstairs isn't bad either.

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:32 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
gladiator wrote:

Best places downtown - Fleurie, Hamilton's, Bizou, and C&O . . . the Upstairs isn't bad either.

For anyone already in Charlottesville, tomorrow marks the start of Charlottesville's semi-annual Restaurant Week. About 20 restaurants participate, with three-course, prix fixe menus at $26 per person ($1 higher than usual, to benefit the PB&J fund). Reservations are highly recommended (read, essential). For a list of participating restaurants & their RW menus, click here: --LinkRemoved--

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:39 pm

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:42 pm

A Swift wrote:What laundry service do you guys use? Will they come pick-up and drop off?

Seriously?

Brand new, full-size stacked W&D in the kitchen FTW. :lol:

In other news, can anyone recommend a bank? I've read the Getting Settled section on the choices, but was wondering if anyone had any anecdotes about hidden fees or ridiculous overdraft policies or something. (I've only ever done that once, but still...)

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:45 pm

uvagirl0708

Postby uvagirl0708 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:48 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:In other news, can anyone recommend a bank? I've read the Getting Settled section on the choices, but was wondering if anyone had any anecdotes about hidden fees or ridiculous overdraft policies or something. (I've only ever done that once, but still...)

I don't know anything about fees or overdraft policies, because my banking needs are pretty simple & I've had the same account for about a decade now, but I use Wachovia. There's one on the corner of Ivy Rd & Alderman Rd, very conveniently located to Ivy Gardens, and another in Barracks Shopping Center.

FWIW, I know Bank of America has a branch on the Corner - access to a fee-free ATM so close to bars/the need for cabs could be nice. They've also got a branch at Barracks.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks! :D

I've got an account with BOA that I opened while interning in DC. It's had like, $5 in it for the last few years, but it's still open and I know I'll drive/ride my bike right by the Barracks branch every day. The ATM at the Corner is good to know too. Just wanted to get some feedback, as I've never heard good things about most larger banks.

plum

Postby plum » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Cable Internet (DSL not available): $53 (this varies by +/- $5 depending because Comcast is incompetent/schizophrenic)

that sounds like ass. do we just call up comcast when we move in and tell them to come install internet in the apt?

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”