UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :D

I mean, having read 2/3's of GTM I can at least understand what it is the prof is looking for. I might even be able to come up with some pretty legit points (albeit none with any sort of legal precedent other than general principles - although maybe you don't need much more than that in con law), but four hours doesn't seem very long put in that context.

On a somewhat related point, did anyone find the Law in a Flash cards to be useful? I've never used flash cards to study, but I've heard they can be handy, and better for some classes than others.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:01 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:So I just peeped the most recent Con Law exam and I'm just going to /killself now and save myself all the money and stress. :(

Con Law is a toughie. It always ends up being a very broad issue spotter with tons of angles of attack, and, as Professor Nachbar said, you can either hit every issue superficially and get a B+ or analyze a few key issues well and get a B+. If you want the A, I guess you spot all of the issues and analyze them thoroughly.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:47 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:So I just peeped the most recent Con Law exam and I'm just going to /killself now and save myself all the money and stress. :(
Con Law is a toughie. It always ends up being a very broad issue spotter with tons of angles of attack, and, as Professor Nachbar said, you can either hit every issue superficially and get a B+ or analyze a few key issues well and get a B+. If you want the A, I guess you spot all of the issues and analyze them thoroughly.


ALL I HEARD:

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby michstudent10 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:48 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :D

I mean, having read 2/3's of GTM I can at least understand what it is the prof is looking for. I might even be able to come up with some pretty legit points (albeit none with any sort of legal precedent other than general principles - although maybe you don't need much more than that in con law), but four hours doesn't seem very long put in that context.

On a somewhat related point, did anyone find the Law in a Flash cards to be useful? I've never used flash cards to study, but I've heard they can be handy, and better for some classes than others.


Dude you're making me feel super unprepared. Should I be doing anything before orientation to prepare? I was planning on just relaxing until then... reading only for pleasure (completely unrelated to LS) & trying to give my brain a break. I haven't even peeked at any LS books, exams, syllabi, or anything... this thread is making me feel like a slacker! Should I be doing something more? :?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:51 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Dude you're making me feel super unprepared. Should I be doing anything before orientation to prepare? I was planning on just relaxing until then... reading only for pleasure (completely unrelated to LS) & trying to give my brain a break. I haven't even peeked at any LS books, exams, syllabi, or anything... this thread is making me feel like a slacker! Should I be doing something more? :?


No :twisted:

TBH, I read LSC back in May (10hr flight roundtrip to LA) and I've read the first three chapters in GTM.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:08 pm

any way to check to see if we sent in the direct deposit form yet? i seem to recall doing it but i'm not quite sure...

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 pm

D Brooks wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Dude you're making me feel super unprepared. Should I be doing anything before orientation to prepare? I was planning on just relaxing until then... reading only for pleasure (completely unrelated to LS) & trying to give my brain a break. I haven't even peeked at any LS books, exams, syllabi, or anything... this thread is making me feel like a slacker! Should I be doing something more? :?


No :twisted:

TBH, I read LSC back in May (10hr flight roundtrip to LA) and I've read the first three chapters in GTM.


Someone on TLS recommended GTM, so when I saw it on my ASW host's bookshelf, I picked it up and read the first 40 pages or so. A b-school classmate who just finished 1L recently recommended LSC to me. I ordered both from Amazon this afternoon.

Best title of a law school prep book: 1L of a Ride.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

As someone who was fairly successful during 1L, I highly recommend the following course of action to the 0Ls in this thread:

Enjoy your free time while you still have it. The one thing you need most is to be relaxed and rested going in, and you're not going to be able to really learn much substantively before you start law school. Once you're there, start learning everything you can, but enjoy your time until then.

whattodo2008
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Thanks for the encouragement, guys. :D

I mean, having read 2/3's of GTM I can at least understand what it is the prof is looking for. I might even be able to come up with some pretty legit points (albeit none with any sort of legal precedent other than general principles - although maybe you don't need much more than that in con law), but four hours doesn't seem very long put in that context.

On a somewhat related point, did anyone find the Law in a Flash cards to be useful? I've never used flash cards to study, but I've heard they can be handy, and better for some classes than others.


Dude you're making me feel super unprepared. Should I be doing anything before orientation to prepare? I was planning on just relaxing until then... reading only for pleasure (completely unrelated to LS) & trying to give my brain a break. I haven't even peeked at any LS books, exams, syllabi, or anything... this thread is making me feel like a slacker! Should I be doing something more? :?


You're prob doing the right thing. I checked out syllabi and all this junk on the clock. When I'm off work , I do none of this and just relax. Looking at a syllabus calmed my fears actually. I'm probably speaking too early, but it helped get rid of some of the anxiety. I am reading GTM though, and have the DeLaney book and I read a few pages every now and then, but nothing intense.

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:26 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Dude you're making me feel super unprepared. Should I be doing anything before orientation to prepare? I was planning on just relaxing until then... reading only for pleasure (completely unrelated to LS) & trying to give my brain a break. I haven't even peeked at any LS books, exams, syllabi, or anything... this thread is making me feel like a slacker! Should I be doing something more? :?


Chill out, duder. It's taken me weeks to get this far in Getting to Maybe. My sister bought it for me last Christmas. Other than that, I just poke around the internet while I'm at work (and not battling 6 year olds). You're fine. I'll get you up to speed on the little bit I learned when we get to c'ville. :D

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:40 pm

vanwinkle wrote:As someone who was fairly successful during 1L, I highly recommend the following course of action to the 0Ls in this thread:

Enjoy your free time while you still have it. The one thing you need most is to be relaxed and rested going in, and you're not going to be able to really learn much substantively before you start law school. Once you're there, start learning everything you can, but enjoy your time until then.


Definitely TITCR.

User avatar
bgdddymtty
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:59 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:As someone who was fairly successful during 1L, I highly recommend the following course of action to the 0Ls in this thread:

Enjoy your free time while you still have it. The one thing you need most is to be relaxed and rested going in, and you're not going to be able to really learn much substantively before you start law school. Once you're there, start learning everything you can, but enjoy your time until then.


I'm guessing that this is really sound advice. I've been unemployed for the past 8 1/2 months, though. I've had about all the free time I can stand. :|

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby RVP11 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:43 pm

Getting to Maybe is overrated. Don't waste too much of your time with it.

About 6-8 weeks into the semester, when your midterm is approaching, read the last chapter in Glannon's Torts E&E (the one on exam-taking). Make sure you're not doing any of the common mistakes he talks about and that you're engaging both the facts and the law when you answer an exam question.

If you do all that, you'll be fine. There are no magic secret codes to doing well on law school exams. Just learn all the things you need to NOT do if you don't want to get B/B-/C+.

howcani111
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 4:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby howcani111 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:04 pm

I hope no one are reading those E&Es. A friend who is a 2L at UVA told me to read them....

although i think i'm not going to read them.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:36 pm

howcani111 wrote:I hope no one are reading those E&Es. A friend who is a 2L at UVA told me to read them....

although i think i'm not going to read them.

I maintain that reading things that end up not getting covered in class only hurts you by obfuscating the material that the professor is testing you on.

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:11 am

dgouzoul wrote:any way to check to see if we sent in the direct deposit form yet? i seem to recall doing it but i'm not quite sure...


Can't recall the office that you're supposed to send it to but just e-mail them about it. They're quite responsive and very polite, so I doubt it would be much of a bother. They certainly contacted me very quickly about it.

D Brooks wrote:Are you going to be around early August? Did I tell you the Canadian decided on UVa as well?


By any chance, did this guy go to the March ASW?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:18 am

Why must my new password meet so many criteria that I won't be able to remember it. :(

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:24 am

..

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:27 am

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Why must my new password meet so many criteria that I won't be able to remember it. :(

So nobody will hack into your valuable user account and pay your UVA invoices for you.


If anyone wants to generously take care of the bolded, I'll gladly give away my password :)

I moved out of my apartment yesterday...longest day ever.

whoknows12
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whoknows12 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:47 am

What percentage of UVA students who will be 3Ls this fall have summer associate positions?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:49 am

..

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:50 am

..

User avatar
HJO
Posts: 165
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby HJO » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:14 am

Do I just send my UG transcripts to

580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-1738?

I thought I had an e-mail saying where and what exactly to do but i'm at work on my phone and I cant seem to find it.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:15 am

..

User avatar
thepunisher24
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:34 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 am

YCrevolution wrote:
HJO wrote:Do I just send my UG transcripts to

580 Massie Road
Charlottesville, Virginia 22903-1738?

I thought I had an e-mail saying where and what exactly to do but i'm at work on my phone and I cant seem to find it.

The address looks fine, but address it to the Office of Admissions (University of Virginia School of Law).


Do we just need to send our transcripts from the UG school we graduated from? Or any school we received credit from?




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest