UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
D Brooks

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:So charge books to account, use them for about 2 weeks while I wait for my online books to arrive, then return bookstore books?

Is it pain that you're not allowed to write in the books? I always underline (seemingly) important part when I read so it's easier to outline later.

I usually buy all my textbooks online, but this sounds like kind of a pain in the ass. I'll just pay the extra money the first semester (or year), so that I can begin underlining/writing in /tearing apart the casebook right away (if I need to, that is)

Yeah, this could be credited.

2Ls: How far out in advance will the casebook list come out before 2nd semester?

Also, about how much more $$ will I be paying overall if I go the bookstore route for the first semester?

Casebook list was out by the end of December - I was able to use this for ordering casebooks on 3/4 classes, but I decided to ride the waitlist for a class and didn't get in until the week before spring classes started

I think there was a $150 difference between buying new on Amazon and new in the bookstore.

That's actual a decent amount of cash. Whatever, I'll decide when that point comes.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:45 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote::? I just got 10x more responsibility at my job and it correspondingly 10x cooler. questioning on whether I want to defer or not. GRRRRRRR.

I can't help but feel that as a BLSA chair I'm supposed to try to convince you here... how fond are you of Monticello?

Wait. You're trying to convince a black person to attend school by invoking the name of a nearby slave plantation?

Did you see the video presentation at Monticello? Jefferson was a "confused" man in regards to slavery.

I did. And he also led the way for Barack Obama to be President!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote::? I just got 10x more responsibility at my job and it correspondingly 10x cooler. questioning on whether I want to defer or not. GRRRRRRR.

I can't help but feel that as a BLSA chair I'm supposed to try to convince you here... how fond are you of Monticello?

Wait. You're trying to convince a black person to attend school by invoking the name of a nearby slave plantation?

Why'd I think winery?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:21 am

D Brooks wrote:Why'd I think winery?

It was that too.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:27 am

vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I hoped he'd be enthralled by the vistas and winery and forget the, y'know, brutal history of subjugation.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:46 am

Kohinoor wrote:I hoped he'd be enthralled by the vistas and winery and forget the, y'know, brutal history of subjugation.
vanwinkle wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

I hoped he'd be enthralled by the vistas and winery and forget the, y'know, brutal history of subjugation.

Funny story, when I went to ASW and took the tour of the Rotunda, my mom and I were the only Black people on the tour. When the guide finished in the rotunda and we got out to the Lawn she pointed at the laundry area and started stuttering while looking at us and said that "unfortunately slaves resided there and did the laundry for students and faculty". She got choked up and couldn't remember what she was saying for a minute. We thought it was pretty funny--it was like she thought this was the first time we had heard about this whole slavery thing. I felt sorry for her because you could really tell she was uncomfortable. To be fair though it did seem like a lot of students were uncomfortable around Blacks--you could tell that a lot of students at UVA don't interact with Black people often. This struck me as a bit odd because I went to an UG In the deep south and most people there don't even act that way.

A Swift

Postby A Swift » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Did you guys apply for your actual loans through studentloans.gov?

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm

A Swift wrote:Did you guys apply for your actual loans through studentloans.gov?

I applied for the PLUS loan. I didn't see anywhere to apply for the Stafford loans so I assume we don't have to. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and direct me where to go if I do need to apply for the Stafford.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:58 pm

Kurama wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:I hoped he'd be enthralled by the vistas and winery and forget the, y'know, brutal history of subjugation.

Funny story, when I went to ASW and took the tour of the Rotunda, my mom and I were the only Black people on the tour. When the guide finished in the rotunda and we got out to the Lawn she pointed at the laundry area and started stuttering while looking at us and said that "unfortunately slaves resided there and did the laundry for students and faculty". She got choked up and couldn't remember what she was saying for a minute. We thought it was pretty funny--it was like she thought this was the first time we had heard about this whole slavery thing. I felt sorry for her because you could really tell she was uncomfortable. To be fair though it did seem like a lot of students were uncomfortable around Blacks--you could tell that a lot of students at UVA don't interact with Black people often. This struck me as a bit odd because I went to an UG In the deep south and most people there don't even act that way.

I was going to mention how mum most of the regular posters were on page 147. FWIW, I laughed at Kohinoor's comment and then felt super awkward for having laughed. :oops:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Kurama wrote:

I was going to mention how mum most of the regular posters were on page 147. FWIW, I laughed at Kohinoor's comment and then felt super awkward for having laughed. :oops:

I lol'd.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:39 pm

Noob question for the 2L's: I've been thinking about my 1L summer and I know that these days it's not enough to go to a firm/judge/prof/other and say, "I luv teh lawz bc teh lawz is sooper interestingz. I wantz 2 get PAID." [/internet cat voice] But is there anywhere I can read up on what the various specialties entail and what the work is like?

Edit: Thanks for the pm, VW.

The Career Services page seems like it would be a great resource, but it requires a Law Web ID to access most of the content. ...Some of the external stuff is available though.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:07 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Noob question for the 2L's: I've been thinking about my 1L summer and I know that these days it's not enough to go to a firm/judge/prof/other and say, "I luv teh lawz bc teh lawz is sooper interestingz. I wantz 2 get PAID." [/internet cat voice] But is there anywhere I can read up on what the various specialties entail and what the work is like?

Edit: Thanks for the pm, VW.

The Career Services page seems like it would be a great resource, but it requires a Law Web ID to access most of the content. ...Some of the external stuff is available though.

I know the various options have been discussed on posts in the legal employment forum.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the advice, guys. I looked at some stuff last night and realize that I've got plenty to keep me busy these next few weeks without worrying about perfectly articulating why I might prefer gov't work or biglaw, or one practice area over another. It doesn't seem super important for 1L, and to the extent that it does, a few months of school ought to give me enough to expand on my "Why I want to go to law school" boilerplate. Just letting it get to me that I'm moving to c'ville in three weeks and this is for real.

whoknows12

Postby whoknows12 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:14 am

Hello,
Does anyone (not currently a VA resident) plan to become a VA state resident to receive in-state tuition down the road? is that even possible?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:31 am

whoknows12 wrote:Hello,
Does anyone (not currently a VA resident) plan to become a VA state resident to receive in-state tuition down the road? is that even possible?

There appear to only be two ways to actually do this:

1) Move to VA at least 12 months before law school starts. You have to live here for 12 months without attending a public institution for it to count toward in-state residency.

2) Marry a VA resident.

It's not a huge difference anyway, the tuition difference is only $5K/year or so, I think.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 am

vanwinkle wrote:
whoknows12 wrote:Hello,

There appear to only be two ways to actually do this:

1) Move to VA at least 12 months before law school starts. You have to live here for 12 months without attending a public institution for it to count toward in-state residency.

2) Marry a VA resident.

It's not a huge difference anyway, the tuition difference is only $5K/year or so, I think.

Doesn't directly apply to me, but how about people moving in with a family? The spouse presumably lives there for 12 months without attending a public institution, and then the student is now married to a VA resident.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 am

dailygrind wrote:Doesn't directly apply to me, but how about people moving in with a family? The spouse presumably lives there for 12 months without attending a public institution, and then the student is now married to a VA resident.

That might work. For whoever it does apply to, have them E-mail an adcomm and ask for details. They'll at least know who to put the person in touch with.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1277730575855

The Career Services Office at the University of Virginia School of Law is seeking a Director of Law Firm Recruiting. The Director provides career counseling services to both students and alumni of the Law School, serves as a liaison to law firms, provides oversight of job fairs, manages remote interviewing events and Career Services Office initiatives, and develops law firm related programming.

Anyone have a take on this? Good? Bad? Not really a big deal?

I wanted to come back and clarify on this, based on new information I've received since then. Apparently (and I have confirmed this) one of the career services counselors was recently promoted to an Assistant Dean position in another department; this posting is probably to fill the vacancy she left by taking the promotion.

So, not quite what I originally believed, but still nothing alarming at all.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:19 pm

I was on TLS detox for a while, but I'm back now, so I figured I should poke my head in and say "Hi." I'm already in C'Ville since my wife is expecting our second child in two weeks, so if anyone needs help moving in or whatever, lemme know.

On another note, I've been gulping hard at the prospect of paying back the roughly $350K (including loans from b-school and a tiny bit from undergrad) that I'm going to be in the hole upon graduation. After looking at the income-based repayment calculator, though, things are looking way up. Even at the BigLaw $160, the most I could have to pay per month is $1585. At $100K, it's only $835. All of the sudden, things don't seem so bad. (I could certainly reopen StringerBell's discussion about tuition inflation vis a vis government subsidy, but for now I'm gonna just take my manageable payment and be happy with it.)

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:24 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:I was on TLS detox for a while, but I'm back now, so I figured I should poke my head in and say "Hi." I'm already in C'Ville since my wife is expecting our second child in two weeks, so if anyone needs help moving in or whatever, lemme know.

On another note, I've been gulping hard at the prospect of paying back the roughly $350K (including loans from b-school and a tiny bit from undergrad) that I'm going to be in the hole upon graduation. After looking at the income-based repayment calculator, though, things are looking way up. Even at the BigLaw $160, the most I could have to pay per month is $1585. At $100K, it's only $835. All of the sudden, things don't seem so bad. (I could certainly reopen StringerBell's discussion about tuition inflation vis a vis government subsidy, but for now I'm gonna just take my manageable payment and be happy with it.)

How many years is this repayment plan? 30?

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:39 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:How many years is this repayment plan? 30?

I think it was 30 but is now 25 for private sector jobs and 10 for public. There was something riding on the Health Care bill to augment IBR.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

slider

Postby slider » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm

I just got an email (in my UVa email account) with login credentials for LawWeb! :mrgreen:
I think we can access some of those career services things now.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:28 pm

slider wrote:I just got an email (in my UVa email account) with login credentials for LawWeb! :mrgreen:
I think we can access some of those career services things now.

Yep, just got mine also

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”