UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:42 am

vanwinkle wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1277730575855

The Career Services Office at the University of Virginia School of Law is seeking a Director of Law Firm Recruiting. The Director provides career counseling services to both students and alumni of the Law School, serves as a liaison to law firms, provides oversight of job fairs, manages remote interviewing events and Career Services Office initiatives, and develops law firm related programming.


Anyone have a take on this? Good? Bad? Not really a big deal?

I think they're expanding the size of the career services department. Until I heard otherwise I'd assume this is an additional hire, not someone being sacked and replaced.

That makes me feel a lot better.

And first on the Orientation email!

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jnorsky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:00 am

just saw it said loan counseling was due the 25th, is this a problem that I havent done this yet?

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:03 am

I spend money like a crack addict and my parents are none to pleased that they foot/are footing the bill for both deposits, my move, my car maintenance, and my first month's rent.

Should I expect to have to ask the for book money as well?

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am

jnorsky wrote:just saw it said loan counseling was due the 25th, is this a problem that I havent done this yet?

Blame the power outage Friday.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:13 am

jnorsky wrote:just saw it said loan counseling was due the 25th, is this a problem that I havent done this yet?



shit. im doing it now

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:14 am

jnorsky wrote:just saw it said loan counseling was due the 25th, is this a problem that I havent done this yet?


Just to it today. It took me about 45minutes but I was watching tv and doing email during.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:25 am

just to confirm, I think its been said before - we just have to do any one of the 3 loan counseling sessions, right?

jnorsky
Posts: 201
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby jnorsky » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:27 am

yea it says when you complete that you are done with it, unless you have some odd loan. I just did it, dont think its a big deal.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

PS to anyone else scrambling to do it fast, if it's a true/false question, the answer is always true, and if there are multiple answers, "all of the above" or the choice that includes the most answers is TCR.

thatguyyouknow
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thatguyyouknow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

Has anyone else not heard anything from the school about their plus loans? I applied and passed the credit check three weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm I missing some step between passing the credit check and getting the award from UVa?

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 am

.
Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 am

I finally activated my Virginia email account. I was successfully able to create an alias@virginia.edu even though the instructions made it seem like I wouldn't be able to. I know there was a lot of discussion about this several weeks back, so for those people who couldn't make one before, you might want to try again now.

thatguyyouknow
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thatguyyouknow » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:09 am

FeuerFrei wrote:
thatguyyouknow wrote:Has anyone else not heard anything from the school about their plus loans? I applied and passed the credit check three weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. I'm I missing some step between passing the credit check and getting the award from UVa?


Did you do the PLUS MPN?


yeah when I applied for the plus loan

whattodo2008
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:26 am

Is C'Ville very humid during summer times?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am

..

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am

whattodo2008 wrote:Is C'Ville very humid during summer times?

YES.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 pm

D Brooks wrote:I spend money like a crack addict and my parents are none to pleased that they foot/are footing the bill for both deposits, my move, my car maintenance, and my first month's rent.

Should I expect to have to ask the for book money as well?

you can charge that to your student ID.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:18 pm

..

berkeleykel06
Posts: 292
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:39 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
D Brooks wrote:I spend money like a crack addict and my parents are none to pleased that they foot/are footing the bill for both deposits, my move, my car maintenance, and my first month's rent.

Should I expect to have to ask the for book money as well?

you can charge that to your student ID.


Is this a simple thing to do? Can you just got to the bookstore, pick up the books, and charge them to your ID at check out? Or is this something that needs to be worked out in advance?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 pm

..

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:24 pm

Buying books online - ever brand new books - is a lot cheaper than getting them from the bookstore.

User avatar
Muckduck
Posts: 110
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Muckduck » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Cavalier wrote:Buying books online - ever brand new books - is a lot cheaper than getting them from the bookstore.


Do we know exactly which texts we will be using for each course yet? Will it matter at all if we don't get the books until a few days into fall semester if we buy them online?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:39 pm

Muckduck wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Buying books online - ever brand new books - is a lot cheaper than getting them from the bookstore.

Do we know exactly which texts we will be using for each course yet? Will it matter at all if we don't get the books until a few days into fall semester if we buy them online?

Unfortunately you won't know until sections are released, unless every section of a 1L class is using the same casebook (this happened with criminal law last year). However, as long as you don't make any markings in a casebook bought from the bookstore, you can return it after the semester starts, so you can buy the books from the bookstore and use them while you wait for the online books to arrive. You definitely need the books before classes start though, or else you'll look like an idiot when the professor calls on you and you haven't done the reading.

frix0803
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:05 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby frix0803 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 pm

how long does it take for UVA SIS to update its record to show that I did my loan counseling? I finished mine a few days ago, but still it says incomplete.

User avatar
Kurama
Posts: 32
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kurama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:05 pm

frix0803 wrote:how long does it take for UVA SIS to update its record to show that I did my loan counseling? I finished mine a few days ago, but still it says incomplete.



It took mine about 4 days to update.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest