UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
TheSharklord

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm

That'd be me =P I'm senile.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:55 am

At the risk of asking a question that's already been answered ( :mrgreen: ) - when do we find out our schedules/professors & sections? Do they mail the info out to us or is it posted online?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 am

michstudent10 wrote:At the risk of asking a question that's already been answered ( :mrgreen: ) - when do we find out our schedules/professors & sections? Do they mail the info out to us or is it posted online?

The class schedules should go up soon, so you'll know then what the sections are. But you won't know which section you are in until mid August, shortly before classes begin.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:00 am

Cavalier wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:At the risk of asking a question that's already been answered ( :mrgreen: ) - when do we find out our schedules/professors & sections? Do they mail the info out to us or is it posted online?

The class schedules should go up soon, so you'll know then what the sections are. But you won't know which section you are in until mid August, shortly before classes begin.

The schedules as in the general schedule with the various sections that will be in each class, or our individual schedules?

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:36 am

michstudent10 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

The schedules as in the general schedule with the various sections that will be in each class, or our individual schedules?

Just the general schedule, with all of the first year courses, probably including which sections have which professor. Your section assignment (and thus, your individual schedule) won't be until August.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:40 pm

Cavalier wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Just the general schedule, with all of the first year courses, probably including which sections have which professor. Your section assignment (and thus, your individual schedule) won't be until August.

Ok got it. Thanks for clarifying that for me :)

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:57 pm

So if we accept our award amounts and then complete all the loan counseling is that it? All my statuses say completed, so am I fine now and can just wait for everything to fall into place as expected in August?

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:40 pm

For those of you that were worrying about 8:30 classes, on the bright side, because it's CrimLaw, you either have 8:30 only twice/week or class doesn't start til 8:50 or 9:00 so not as brutal as your predecessors have had.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:58 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:So if we accept our award amounts and then complete all the loan counseling is that it? All my statuses say completed, so am I fine now and can just wait for everything to fall into place as expected in AugustSeptember maybe?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:15 pm

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:15 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:So if we accept our award amounts and then complete all the loan counseling is that it? All my statuses say completed, so am I fine now and can just wait for everything to fall into place as expected in AugustSeptember maybe?

don't you think they'll be giving the $$ out on time this year after last year's mess up?

BTW whatever happened to CE2JD? I was reading his previous threads on the CO 2012 site! He seemed interesting!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:18 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:11 pm

howcani111 wrote:BTW whatever happened to CE2JD? I was reading his previous threads on the CO 2012 site! He seemed interesting!

YCrevolution killed him.

slider

Postby slider » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:So if we accept our award amounts and then complete all the loan counseling is that it? All my statuses say completed, so am I fine now and can just wait for everything to fall into place as expected in AugustSeptemberOctober maybe?[/quote]

This is scary.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:22 pm

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:35 pm

Cavalier wrote:
howcani111 wrote:BTW whatever happened to CE2JD? I was reading his previous threads on the CO 2012 site! He seemed interesting!

YCrevolution killed him.

TBF, he deserved to die.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:53 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
howcani111 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

don't you think they'll be giving the $$ out on time this year after last year's mess up?

BTW whatever happened to CE2JD? I was reading his previous threads on the CO 2012 site! He seemed interesting!

That's one of the things I tell myself when I'm also telling myself I'll have a job upon graduation, the economy will be robust, etc.

The finaid office would find my lack of faith very disturbing. That said, in my only interaction with the new finaid director, she was prompt and efficient.

I have faith in the new financial aid process/people, but we're still talking about a system that can't churn out grades in under a month. I'll be expecting my money in September.

schlizzle

Postby schlizzle » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 pm

YCrevolution wrote:This past year, I had a number of classmates who loans didn't go through until mid- to late October. They had to take out emergency loans offered by the school.

Emergency loans to cover laptop/rent/books/food..? Were the loans given out late because of UVA's financial aid system/people? Please tell me something horrible happened that caused the delay thats unlikely to happen again this year (wishful thinking, huh?)

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:58 pm

schlizzle wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:This past year, I had a number of classmates who loans didn't go through until mid- to late October. They had to take out emergency loans offered by the school.

Emergency loans to cover laptop/rent/books/food..? Were the loans given out late because of UVA's financial aid system/people? Please tell me something horrible happened that caused the delay thats unlikely to happen again this year (wishful thinking, huh?)

They switched to a new system and it caused a huge delay. Don't worry though because they're switching to a new system this year!

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:59 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
schlizzle wrote:

They switched to a new system and it caused a huge delay. Don't worry though because they're switching to a new system this year!

:?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:19 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
schlizzle wrote:

Yeah, the emergency loans were to cover living expenses/books. The loans were given out late due to UVA finaid. The law school now has a new finaid director. On the bright side, the loans were interest free.

As Kohinoor said, they have a new system. I wish I could say that inspires confidence. Last year, when they realized that their wonderful system wasn't working, they could have done them all be hand/manually contact lenders and still be done by the end of September.

They could have gotten an old printing press and lovingly made each bill by hand and it would have been faster.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 am

https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/js ... 7730575855

The Career Services Office at the University of Virginia School of Law is seeking a Director of Law Firm Recruiting. The Director provides career counseling services to both students and alumni of the Law School, serves as a liaison to law firms, provides oversight of job fairs, manages remote interviewing events and Career Services Office initiatives, and develops law firm related programming.

Anyone have a take on this? Good? Bad? Not really a big deal?

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am

:)
Last edited by howcani111 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:35 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1277730575855

The Career Services Office at the University of Virginia School of Law is seeking a Director of Law Firm Recruiting. The Director provides career counseling services to both students and alumni of the Law School, serves as a liaison to law firms, provides oversight of job fairs, manages remote interviewing events and Career Services Office initiatives, and develops law firm related programming.

Anyone have a take on this? Good? Bad? Not really a big deal?

I think they're expanding the size of the career services department. Until I heard otherwise I'd assume this is an additional hire, not someone being sacked and replaced.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”