UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Kurama

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kurama » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:21 pm

billyez wrote:I've been real spoiled by the ability by the ability to choose the times of my classes in college. *grumbles about having class before 10:00 for the first time since high school*

Thanks for posting those times though, dude.

LOL me too! I think that is the thing that will be the biggest adjustment for me. It's like being back in high school.....

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:33 pm

gladiator wrote:Greetings, kiddos.

Details of your 1L classes:
8:30-9:50 block- Criminal Law (Professors: Harmon, Bonnie, Coughlin*, Jeffries*, Brown, Bowers)
10:00-11:20 block- Civil Procedure (Professors: Nelson*, Mitchell*, Heytens, Walker, Collins*, Sinclair, Garrett, Rutherglen)
2:10-3:30 block- Contracts (Professors: Choi, Dooley, Mahoney*, Cohen, Johnston, Kordana*, Verkerke, Geis*)
3:40-5:00 block- Torts (Professors: White, Abraham, Armacost, O'Connell, Hylton, Kendrick)

The ones with *s are the ones I would particularly aspire to get. Most of the details are posted on SIS if you do a class search for LAW and Fall 2010.

Is there not a certain block meaning that if you have Coughlin for Crim you'll automatically have Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, etc?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:37 pm

gladiator wrote:Greetings, kiddos.

Details of your 1L classes:
8:30-9:50 block- Criminal Law (Professors: Harmon, Bonnie, Coughlin*, Jeffries*, Brown, Bowers)
10:00-11:20 block- Civil Procedure (Professors: Nelson*, Mitchell*, Heytens, Walker, Collins*, Sinclair, Garrett, Rutherglen)
2:10-3:30 block- Contracts (Professors: Choi, Dooley, Mahoney*, Cohen, Johnston, Kordana*, Verkerke, Geis*)
3:40-5:00 block- Torts (Professors: White, Abraham, Armacost, O'Connell, Hylton, Kendrick)

The ones with *s are the ones I would particularly aspire to get. Most of the details are posted on SIS if you do a class search for LAW and Fall 2010.

What happened to Low? Why isn't he teaching Crim Law this fall?

Also, the C/O 2013 is very fortunate in who they don't potentially face for Torts this fall. That's all I'm saying about that.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:39 pm

D Brooks wrote:Is there not a certain block meaning that if you have Coughlin for Crim you'll automatically have Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, etc?

You'll be assigned a section of 30 people, but most classes will have more than one section attending. For example, Sections B and D might take Coughlin for Crim. B might then have Choi for Contracts with F, but D might have Geis for Contracts with G. Everything's rotated around, so you'll only be paired up with each different section once, and only your section will have the combination of four professors that you do.

Kurama

Postby Kurama » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:41 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Is there not a certain block meaning that if you have Coughlin for Crim you'll automatically have Nelson for CivPro, Choi for Contracts, etc?

You'll be assigned a section of 30 people, but most classes will have more than one section attending. For example, Sections B and D might take Coughlin for Crim. B might then have Choi for Contracts with F, but D might have Geis for Contracts with G. Everything's rotated around, so you'll only be paired up with each different section once, and only your section will have the combination of four professors that you do.

Be honest-- which of these professors do we need to go in expecting the worst?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:46 pm

Kurama wrote:Be honest-- which of these professors do we need to go in expecting the worst?

Any professor I would put on such a list, apparently isn't teaching 1L next fall. You guys are fortunate.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:25 am

LRW is both semesters correct? Same prof for each section for both sems?

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:58 am

Well, it'll be a welcomed change from my current job: start work at 7:30 with only a 30-minute lunch break.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:38 am

CFC11 wrote:Anyone going to be there around mid-July?? I don't know a soul in C-ville and definitely don't want to drink alone.

I'm game. Forgot to mention that in my excitement (Hesitant to use that word.) over gladiator's post.

In addition to helping people move, I'm all for hanging out and drinking with anyone else who will be in town early. :D

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 am

D Brooks wrote:LRW is both semesters correct? Same prof for each section for both sems?

Yes, yes, and it will be the bane of your existence despite being 1 hour of class/week and pass/fail.

TheSharklord

Postby TheSharklord » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:43 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
CFC11 wrote:Anyone going to be there around mid-July?? I don't know a soul in C-ville and definitely don't want to drink alone.

I'm game. Forgot to mention that in my excitement (Hesitant to use that word.) over gladiator's post.

In addition to helping people move, I'm all for hanging out and drinking with anyone else who will be in town early. :D

Look me up in the week prior! I'm moving all of my stuff in on the 6th, and it may take a day or two to get stuff in order (ie. not in the heap that it will be piled into on the living room floor/still largely un-assembled in lots of boxes). Once everything is set up though, I'd love to get to know people. Sorry, though, I'm not a beer drinker, so either BYO or be willing to tolerate something vodka based or champagne (if I'm generous not broke).

CFC11, no worries, I'm sure it would be awkward for your SO to randomly find a guy chilling in a hammock in the basement. ;)

Also, I agree with the "spoiled by picking one's own classes" sentiment. People in my department at school treated no-class Fridays as their birthright. My crowning scheduling achievement was getting Monday, Wednesday, and Friday off! Alas, how the world changes...

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 am

Last semester of UG...

drum roll...

No classes Mondays or Fridays and no classes before noon.
This seems an unlikely scenario next year. Question: how necessary is it i go to criminal law? Can I just wikipedia that?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:03 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Last semester of UG...

drum roll...

This seems an unlikely scenario next year. Question: how necessary is it i go to criminal law? Can I just wikipedia that?

Absolutely. :twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

How often do all of those core classes meet? 3x/week?

+1 to joe's Crim question. :?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:05 am

drum roll...

ABA requires you attend 80% of each of your 1L classes. If you have a professor that pays attention to student attendance (and most will) you can be failed for not going.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:07 am

vanwinkle wrote:

drum roll...

ABA requires you attend 80% of each of your 1L classes. If you have a professor that pays attention to student attendance (and most will) you can be failed for not going.

I think it's humorous that there is an ABA requirement for attendance.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:08 am

oneforship wrote:

drum roll...

GUNNER!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:09 am

D Brooks wrote:
oneforship wrote:

drum roll...

GUNNER!

I don't think that constitutes gunning. If anything, it's hedging against my own laziness/underperformance.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:11 am

oneforship wrote:I don't think that constitutes gunning. If anything, it's hedging against my own laziness/underperformance.

My bookshelf:
--ImageRemoved--

HTH.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:15 am

oneforship wrote:I think it's humorous that there is an ABA requirement for attendance.

The ABA probably finds it humorous you want to pay $200K to go to school and then not attend.

As an additional comment on attending, actually going to class is the single best way to find out what your professor thinks about the subjects you're studying. The classes where I got the best grades are the ones where I was able not only to address the answer to the specific question at hand, but also to hammer on a couple of the overall themes the professor kept bringing up over the course of the semester. You won't know what the important themes are from just reading the individual cases, or summaries of them on Wikipedia. You need to hear the professor's analysis of each case and notice what he keeps bringing up in each, because when exam day comes, you'll want to talk about how those themes affect your answer.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:20 am

vanwinkle wrote:
oneforship wrote:I think it's humorous that there is an ABA requirement for attendance.

The ABA probably finds it humorous you want to pay $200K to go to school and then not attend.

As an additional comment on attending, actually going to class is the single best way to find out what your professor thinks about the subjects you're studying. The classes where I got the best grades are the ones where I was able not only to address the answer to the specific question at hand, but also to hammer on a couple of the overall themes the professor kept bringing up over the course of the semester. You won't know what the important themes are from just reading the individual cases, or summaries of them on Wikipedia. You need to hear the professor's analysis of each case and notice what he keeps bringing up in each, because when exam day comes, you'll want to talk about how those themes affect your answer.

Oh I plan on attending class, I just think it's funny that in a class where your grade is determined by 1 exam, the ABA has decided if you don't attend it doesn't matter what you score on the exam.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:24 am

D Brooks wrote:
oneforship wrote:I don't think that constitutes gunning. If anything, it's hedging against my own laziness/underperformance.

My bookshelf:

I hope you're kidding...

Edit: I just realized how much reading 1L will involve :shock:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 am

slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

My bookshelf:

I hope you're kidding...

I was completely kidding, that's not my bookshelf. I've already gotten a flurry of angry PMs.

Here is the thread where I found that picture: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=117305&start=75

scroll down to near the bottom on page 4.

The only books I have are LSC and GTM.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 am

D Brooks wrote:
slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

My bookshelf:

I hope you're kidding...

I was completely kidding, that's not my bookshelf. I've already gotten a flurry of angry PMs.

Here is the thread where I found that picture: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=117305&start=75

scroll down to near the bottom on page 4.

The only books I have are LSC and GTM.

ROFL @ angry PMs. I thought I had to step up my game, I was getting worried. :wink:

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:41 am

oneforship wrote:Oh I plan on attending class, I just think it's funny that in a class where your grade is determined by 1 exam, the ABA has decided if you don't attend it doesn't matter what you score on the exam.

To be honest, I would be shocked if someone managed to not attend any of their classes and then actually did okay on their exams. One of the common things said to 1Ls about UVA's B+ curve is that "you don't get a C unless you don't show up for class". It's not a function of attendance being a part of your grade, it's just a reflection on how much more important in law school attending is to your comprehension of the material, especially in your first year...

I have known 2Ls and 3Ls who have claimed to not attend their classes and then got above-median grades. I believe that. However, they've already learned what you haven't yet about legal studying.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”