UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby billyez » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:17 am

Went to a party attended by Judges/folks running for Judge who acted like I had stumbled upon the Holy Grail of law schools when I told them I was going to UVA. They told me, with straight faces, to have as much fun as possible and to enjoy myself because I was destined to have a job now. This naturally made me feel happy.

Then I remembered that the market isn't the same as it was before they were in law school, and I was a bit deflated.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:57 am

billyez wrote:Went to a party attended by Judges/folks running for Judge who acted like I had stumbled upon the Holy Grail of law schools when I told them I was going to UVA. They told me, with straight faces, to have as much fun as possible and to enjoy myself because I was destined to have a job now. This naturally made me feel happy.

Then I remembered that the market isn't the same as it was before they were in law school, and I was a bit deflated.

Maybe the theme of the party was '2006'

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Question for the 2L's ITT:

I received a box full of law school supplementals (24 books total) and I am wondering how useful some of this stuff is going to be as it is a bit dated (~2006-2007). Specifically, there are ten E&E's, but many are an edition behind. Is that going to make any significant difference? In addition to being broke, after four years of undergrad, I'm already predisposed to hate the textbook industry and would love to save money on books where possible.

Same question for Barbri texts (Professional Resp., Multistate 2007, and PA 2007) and PMBR Multistate Workbook Vol. 1 (2007). Are these worth having around/can I use these for any reason, or did I just accept another box of stuff to lug to C'ville with me?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:26 pm

..

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Cavalier » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:31 pm

I wouldn't worry about old editions of supplements. Contract, criminal, property, and tort law have been under development for the past several centuries - I don't think they've changed much in the past few years. There have been some new developments in constitutional law, and a few in civil procedure (Twombly and Gasperini), but those supplements will still be quite useful - just make sure you read and understand the cases from class.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:32 pm

..

User avatar
badwithpseudonyms
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Thanks, guys. That's what I was kind of expecting (and hoping) to hear. There are some In a Nutshell's and Emanuel's in there too. I figured I won't end up using half of it, but it seemed rude to be too picky. And I'll make it a point to be careful when reading the E&E's for Civ Pro and Con Law.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:53 pm

Cavalier wrote:I wouldn't worry about old editions of supplements. Contract, criminal, property, and tort law have been under development for the past several centuries - I don't think they've changed much in the past few years. There have been some new developments in constitutional law, and a few in civil procedure (Twombly and Gasperini), but those supplements will still be quite useful - just make sure you read and understand the cases from class.

I would say the crowning achievement of my 1L year was managing to not learn Erie. Believe it or not, it has already screwed me on a callback. Yup, they randomly brought up Erie and didn't find it nearly as cute that we skipped it.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:54 pm

..

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:21 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I wouldn't worry about old editions of supplements. Contract, criminal, property, and tort law have been under development for the past several centuries - I don't think they've changed much in the past few years. There have been some new developments in constitutional law, and a few in civil procedure (Twombly and Gasperini), but those supplements will still be quite useful - just make sure you read and understand the cases from class.

I would say the crowning achievement of my 1L year was managing to not learn Erie. Believe it or not, it has already screwed me on a callback. Yup, they randomly brought up Erie and didn't find it nearly as cute that we skipped it.

You didn't learn Erie? :shock:

That's what he said :evil:

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

..

heathbar88
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby heathbar88 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:01 pm

I can't believe I'll be in Charlottesville in a little over a month. Excited..but seriously can i just pause life for a little right now?!

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I wouldn't worry about old editions of supplements. Contract, criminal, property, and tort law have been under development for the past several centuries - I don't think they've changed much in the past few years. There have been some new developments in constitutional law, and a few in civil procedure (Twombly and Gasperini), but those supplements will still be quite useful - just make sure you read and understand the cases from class.

I would say the crowning achievement of my 1L year was managing to not learn Erie. Believe it or not, it has already screwed me on a callback. Yup, they randomly brought up Erie and didn't find it nearly as cute that we skipped it.

You didn't learn Erie? :shock:

That's what he said :evil:


Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:13 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:You didn't learn Erie? :shock:

That's what he said :evil:

Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:27 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

Garrett.

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:18 pm

heathbar88 wrote:I can't believe I'll be in Charlottesville in a little over a month. Excited..but seriously can i just pause life for a little right now?!


Yep I'm right there with you.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

Garrett.


Wow... Was he at least a good teacher beyond skipping over a rather essential part of 1L CivPro? You should probably take Conflict of Laws so you can cover some of that stuff...

I guess your section got a little shafted between CivPro and Property!

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:51 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

Garrett.


Wow... Was he at least a good teacher beyond skipping over a rather essential part of 1L CivPro? You should probably take Conflict of Laws so you can cover some of that stuff...

I guess your section got a little shafted between CivPro and Property!

I'm not naming names but Torts. All I have to say is Torts. I mean, I'm guessing that we covered something that other sections didn't? Did y'all do jurisdiction?
Last edited by Kohinoor on Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 pm

..

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:54 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Who the hell did you have for CivPro?!

Garrett.


Wow... Was he at least a good teacher beyond skipping over a rather essential part of 1L CivPro? You should probably take Conflict of Laws so you can cover some of that stuff...

I guess your section got a little shafted between CivPro and Property!

I'm not naming names but Torts. All I have to say is Torts. I mean, I'm guessing that we covered something that other sections didn't? Did y'all do jurisdiction?


We did 3-4 weeks of jurisdiction

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:10 am

Has anyone's GradPlus entrance interview notification turned to "complete?"

Bbop
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Bbop » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:35 am

D Brooks wrote:Has anyone's GradPlus entrance interview notification turned to "complete?"


Mine hasn't, the student loans site says its complete but the UVA site says I still need to complete counseling.

User avatar
CFC11
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby CFC11 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:54 am

Bbop wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Has anyone's GradPlus entrance interview notification turned to "complete?"


Mine hasn't, the student loans site says its complete but the UVA site says I still need to complete counseling.


Same here.

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew how long the laptop loan takes to show up on UVA's SIS website?

slider
Posts: 368
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:35 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby slider » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:58 pm

Bbop wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Has anyone's GradPlus entrance interview notification turned to "complete?"


Mine hasn't, the student loans site says its complete but the UVA site says I still need to complete counseling.


Me too. Still incomplete on the UVA site even though I've completed all necessary forms through the federal site. I also received GradPlus approval in the mail. I'm planning to call the financial aid if it doesn't clear up in the next week or so.

User avatar
dgouzoul
Posts: 244
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dgouzoul » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:12 pm

I emailed financial aid office about loan acceptance procedures and they said they'd be emailing us soon with a to-do list and whatnot




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest