UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
badwithpseudonyms

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah it seems people here are in the dark on UVA being a real school. It also loses a lot of cache if you have to say "it's a top 10 school, actually. Hm? No, it's not in the Big Ten." The alternative is an in-the-know comment about Thomas Jefferson. I do prefer that though. C
est la vie though, huh?

And pseudonyms, where are you? I live in Oakland so if you're in the neighborhood we should grab a beer. I also work downtown, if you work there too we could do lunch. Feel like I keep bumping into you on TLS.

PM'ed.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:33 pm

pilotgal wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I'm from WA, and when I tell people there I'm going to UVA Law, their typical reaction is "oh, did you get rejected from UW?" If you want lay prestige, go to Georgetown. But if you want actual prestige, then go to UVA.

So true. I'm in Seattle now and I get that all the time at work. I work with this one lady who is the type of person who no matter what you are talking about, she says something to one up you. So when I finally went public with the fact that I was leaving to go to law school, she informed me that her brother is a lawyer and he went to Gonzaga. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to find that quite impressive.

Hah! I'm from Seattle. I wear my UVA Law sweater zip-up (the grey one w/the white/orange embroidered logo on the left). Matter of fact, I have it right here hanging in my cubicle at work while wearing an orange tee..

Anyways, I'm in the same position. Not just UW, but people brag about SU. When people ask why I chose UVA, it's really hard to say 'because it's a kick ass school' or something along the lines. I think the best response, and something that some others have told me here is to say "It's a good school." That's sufficient.

When I got admitted, I had to convince my parents that it is a good school. My father didn't seem very enthusiastic until he searched online for law school rankings and then sent me the rankings (as if he assumed I didn't know rankings)...Re this: He lives in SoCal and I was there this past weekend. I got the "Why UVA" question there as well. This woman was telling me about her daughter who went to Pepperdine, and how she dropped out after 2 yrs because she realized that "law requires a lot of hrs of work" (oddly enough, she was a paralegal before going to law school, so one would assume she would know the lifestyle). I met another guy who went to Southern California Law School and how the first year attrition rate is 30% and that the legal market is tough and he didn't know much about UVA, I think based on my conversation w/him...On the other hand, my mother works in a high-end sales industry and a lot of her clients are lawyers. When she drops the name, they know and give major props.

I'm rambling, but really, in its own way, it is nice that people don't know because at the end of the day, my reason for choosing UVA is not to impress people outside of the law. (Yes, I admit, that part of the reason that I'm attending UVA Law is to impress ppl within the field, but I'm sure I'm not alone here.)

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:40 pm

On a different note, flying to the West Coast from CVille and back is damn expensive. I plan on using miles and have to plan in advance for Xmas time to do so. When is the writing competition for law review? Do most of the lawhoos leave the town during this time, or stay in? [I'm guessing this question belongs in the other topic "ask UVA 2L" (something along those lines), but this forum is more active]

Thanks!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:45 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:On a different note, flying to the West Coast from CVille and back is damn expensive. I plan on using miles and have to plan in advance for Xmas time to do so. When is the writing competition for law review? Do most of the lawhoos leave the town during this time, or stay in? [I'm guessing this question belongs in the other topic "ask UVA 2L" (something along those lines), but this forum is more active]

Thanks!

The two weekends before spring break. Not at all related to winter / Christmas break. So if spring break is (hypothetically) Monday the 16th through Friday the 20th, you can choose to do the competition the weekend of the 14th-15th or the weekend of the 7th-8th.

Just know that, after taking the test, you're not going to be capable of happiness for a while so don't take it right before spring break if you wanna enjoy the rest of the break.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:On a different note, flying to the West Coast from CVille and back is damn expensive. I plan on using miles and have to plan in advance for Xmas time to do so. When is the writing competition for law review? Do most of the lawhoos leave the town during this time, or stay in? [I'm guessing this question belongs in the other topic "ask UVA 2L" (something along those lines), but this forum is more active]

Thanks!

The two weekends before spring break. Not at all related to winter / Christmas break. So if spring break is (hypothetically) Monday the 16th through Friday the 20th, you can choose to do the competition the weekend of the 14th-15th or the weekend of the 7th-8th.

Just know that, after taking the test, you're not going to be capable of happiness for a while so don't take it right before spring break if you wanna enjoy the rest of the break.

So there are people who take it on the first weekend, while also studying for exams?! Yikes!

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:17 pm

slider

Postby slider » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 pm

thesealocust wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

So there are people who take it on the first weekend, while also studying for exams?! Yikes!

Are you really, really lost or something?

thesealocust, I think the confusion here was that Kohinoor mentioned taking a test while law review was being discussed. At first glance it looks a little confusing. :)

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:30 pm

Summer before law school: This is what's happening right now
August through December: You do a semester of law school, it's good times.
Mid-december through late January: You have a break. Hooray! Drink!
Late January: You begin your second semester of law school
Sometime in March: There are two weekends you choose from to do the writing competition, which lasts ~72 hours
May: You take your last set of finals. Huzzah!

Ahh. Yes, I am. Too much multi-tasking, and misread March/May. Now makes sense. Thanks for walking me through this.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:09 pm

thesealocust wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:

Summer before law school: This is what's happening right now
Mid-december through late January: You have a break. Hooray! Drink!
Sometime in March: There are two weekends you choose from to do the writing competition, which lasts ~72 hours
May: You take your last set of finals. Huzzah!

Ahh. Yes, I am. Too much multi-tasking, and misread March/May. Now makes sense. Thanks for walking me through this.

Fabulous! :D

3 more weeks at work. Gotta try to do as *many* non-work related things on the clock as possible. Hope you understand ;-) .

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:14 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:58 pm

thesealocust wrote:Summer before law school: This is what's happening right now
Mid-december through late January: You have a break. Hooray! Drink!Why haven't they posted grades yet? A class eval went up on SIS for property?? Oh it's not our class. I think maybe in five minutes a new eval might go up. I'll check SIS before I go to sleep. I have to go take a shower so I might as well check SIS now just in case grades posted in the last 5 minutes.
May: You take your last set of finals. Huzzah!Hey! I got a grade in under 3 weeks! I bet the rest will come out later today! Oh well, didn't come out today but it'll come out tomorrow. I hear SIS refreshes overnight so I'll wait up. Maybe by overnight they don't mean midnight. I'll wait until 5 a.m. to go to sleep in case the refresh takes place somewhere in that period. Yay! SIS is processing! No grades? Darn, maybe the processing takes a few minutes. I'll wait and see.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:31 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Summer before law school: This is what's happening right now
Mid-december through late January: You have a break. Hooray! Drink!Why haven't they posted grades yet? A class eval went up on SIS for property?? Oh it's not our class. I think maybe in five minutes a new eval might go up. I'll check SIS before I go to sleep. I have to go take a shower so I might as well check SIS now just in case grades posted in the last 5 minutes.
May: You take your last set of finals. Huzzah!Hey! I got a grade in under 3 weeks! I bet the rest will come out later today! Oh well, didn't come out today but it'll come out tomorrow. I hear SIS refreshes overnight so I'll wait up. Maybe by overnight they don't mean midnight. I'll wait until 5 a.m. to go to sleep in case the refresh takes place somewhere in that period. Yay! SIS is processing! No grades? Darn, maybe the processing takes a few minutes. I'll wait and see.

:lol:

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:16 pm

Does the bookstore have Adobe CS4 for cheap? Mostly looking for Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:18 pm

blahblewblah

Postby blahblewblah » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
blahblewblah wrote:Does the bookstore have Adobe CS4 for cheap? Mostly looking for Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.

They had CS2 the last time I was in there (last month), but no CS3 (or CS4). I'll probably check again sometime in the next few weeks.

Thanks.

Also, is there a deadline for accepting our loans?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:28 pm

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:56 pm

FinAid got back to me a few hours ago:

You basically have to take the same entrance survery/quiz twice because the Staffords are different than the GradPlus. After you complete it the seond time it'll be "several days" before it registers as complete in SIS.

ewc227

Postby ewc227 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:30 pm

Hey everyone,

My name is Elisa, I am going to be a 1L next year @ UVA. Im really laid back and easy to get along with. My roommate, David, & I are looking for a third roommate for our Lakeside Apartment. David and I found each other through the UVA Law Forum, hes going to be a fellow 1L.

The apartment is located right across a lake, surrounded by mountains. Lakeside also offers alot of amenities, including a volleyball court, playground, swimming pool, movie room, fitness center, game room, business center etc. You can go to their website @ http://www.liveatlakesides.com

The rent for the room is 1280, $360-460-485 depending on room size. The lease is from July 24 to May 23. David will most likely be taking the small room. I dont really care b/w the medium sized and master bedroom-- fyi the master bedroom has its own bathroom, while the other 2 rooms have to share a bathroom.

Also im thinkin about adopting a dog once I arrive in Charlottesville, but if thats a problem-- let me know bcuz im really flexible. You can email me at ewc227@nyu.edu

whattodo2008

Postby whattodo2008 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:59 pm

Do most ppl plan on going with the Aetna student insurance plan? I'm looking at rates from last year -- $2092/annual -- http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schoo ... re0910.pdf. Blah.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:18 pm

whattodo2008 wrote:Do most ppl plan on going with the Aetna student insurance plan? I'm looking at rates from last year -- $2092/annual -- http://www.aetnastudenthealth.com/schoo ... re0910.pdf. Blah.

I'm switching. 80% coverage is as unaffordable as 0% for most situations where I'd likely need insurance. I'd rather pay more and be fully covered.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”