UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
YCrevolution

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:49 pm

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:52 pm

D Brooks wrote:Also, are anyone else's parents going to be with them/help them move in? :oops:

My parents and I just set a date (Aug 4) for the move to VA. We're going to do a mini-caravan.

Mine are they said, though I didn't think they would be able to. It is a nice thing I think and I'm not embarrassed by it. It's not like I (we) are incapable of moving ourselves, it is just cheaper for them to help me because otherwise I have to return the truck in C-Ville for exorbitant costs. It will also be the last time Is see them until Thanksgiving I think. No matter how old we are, family is family.

Also: UVA law hate report. So I went home this weekend to see some friends who were in town and my family (really shaping up as a momma's boy in this post geez). I didn't bring a change of clothes because I could only fit a Diplomacy board or clothes and I had to make the right choice. At home I find the UVA law T-shirt they gave us at ASW and toss it on to go with some friends to a bar and watch the USA-ENG game. I'm walking down the street after and everyone is cheering for their respective country, talking in fake accents, and trying not to get public nuisance citations when outta no where some guy yells "Virginia law boo, should have gone to Cornell." Later on I go into a bar and the one bouncer whispers to the other "oh cool maybe I should have worn my Georgetown Med shirt." Haters gonna hate people, haters gonna hate.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:55 pm

D Brooks wrote:CALL ME BACK FINAID!!!

Dood, calm down.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:07 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
D Brooks wrote:CALL ME BACK FINAID!!!

Dood, calm down.

:oops:

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:14 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Also: UVA law hate report. So I went home this weekend to see some friends who were in town and my family (really shaping up as a momma's boy in this post geez). I didn't bring a change of clothes because I could only fit a Diplomacy board or clothes and I had to make the right choice. At home I find the UVA law T-shirt they gave us at ASW and toss it on to go with some friends to a bar and watch the USA-ENG game. I'm walking down the street after and everyone is cheering for their respective country, talking in fake accents, and trying not to get public nuisance citations when outta no where some guy yells "Virginia law boo, should have gone to Cornell." Later on I go into a bar and the one bouncer whispers to the other "oh cool maybe I should have worn my Georgetown Med shirt." Haters gonna hate people, haters gonna hate.

That is strange though. Major city?

FWIW, I only wear my law related apparel I got from ASWs when exercising. One night I was out with some friends and this guy passing us on the street had a Notre Dame Law t-shirt on and they were like "omg, he's sooo cool I bet." After that I took stock.

mikeh915

Postby mikeh915 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Hey, does anyone know when you can get the $2500 allowance for computers. If you can get it before August 16th how does one do that? Sorry, I'm sure someone has already mentioned it, but I couldn't find it in here.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:53 pm

mikeh915 wrote:Hey, does anyone know when you can get the $2500 allowance for computers. If you can get it before August 16th how does one do that? Sorry, I'm sure someone has already mentioned it, but I couldn't find it in here.

I think you have to pay for the computer with your own money and they give you the refund around the same time they give you the rest of your aid money - after classes start.

slider

Postby slider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:54 pm

mikeh915 wrote:Hey, does anyone know when you can get the $2500 allowance for computers. If you can get it before August 16th how does one do that? Sorry, I'm sure someone has already mentioned it, but I couldn't find it in here.

I called financial aid about this last week. They said you have to fill out the form and submit with the with requested information and they would make an adjustment to your COL Grad Plus amount. The full amount of the Computer Expense would be paid in the fall. (I think they may have split it up last year, not sure). She couldn't tell me if they would include it with the regular disbursement or if it would come separately. But she was pretty clear it would be AFTER class starts.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:58 pm

D Brooks wrote:

I think you have to pay for the computer with your own money and they give you the refund around the same time they give you the rest of your aid money - after classes start.

This is correct. You also have to submit a receipt showing the amount of your laptop purchase. It's "up to" $2500 depending on how much you spend.

billyez

Postby billyez » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:10 pm

D Brooks wrote:Also, are anyone else's parents going to be with them/help them move in? :oops:

My parents and I just set a date (Aug 4) for the move to VA. We're going to do a mini-caravan.

Yep. My folks insist on coming with me - which is entirely fine with me. What might not be so fine with me is the fact that they would rather not spend money in a hotel and just sleep in my room in the Grad Centre during the time they'll be there.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:16 pm

D Brooks wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Also: UVA law hate report. So I went home this weekend to see some friends who were in town and my family (really shaping up as a momma's boy in this post geez). I didn't bring a change of clothes because I could only fit a Diplomacy board or clothes and I had to make the right choice. At home I find the UVA law T-shirt they gave us at ASW and toss it on to go with some friends to a bar and watch the USA-ENG game. I'm walking down the street after and everyone is cheering for their respective country, talking in fake accents, and trying not to get public nuisance citations when outta no where some guy yells "Virginia law boo, should have gone to Cornell." Later on I go into a bar and the one bouncer whispers to the other "oh cool maybe I should have worn my Georgetown Med shirt." Haters gonna hate people, haters gonna hate.

FWIW, I only wear my law related apparel I got from ASWs when exercising. One night I was out with some friends and this guy passing us on the street had a Notre Dame Law t-shirt on and they were like "omg, he's sooo cool I bet." After that I took stock.

The go-to gift for me this year at Christmas was UVA law apparel. I Haven't had the guts to wear any of it yet. It just does seem rather . . . I don't know . . . boastful? I'd be more comfortable wearing UVA stuff, without the Law part. For some reason when I see people around here with Vanderbilt Law shirts, or sweatshirts, on it does annoy me a little. Perhaps I'm insane.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:24 pm

I thought as I put the shirt on "this is gonna make me look like a level-7 toolbag, but it is the only clean shirt I have with me." In retrospect I should have snagged one of my brothers shirts but I figured who cares. There are 2 law schools in my city (PGH) and people wear stuff from them all the time, no one says anything. I wear a shirt from an irrelevant ACC school that most people stare at me blankly for mentioning and all the sudden everyone has beef.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:33 pm

LOL, All of my fears are now further founded. I love how the bouncer got all indignant.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:29 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:I thought as I put the shirt on "this is gonna make me look like a level-7 toolbag, but it is the only clean shirt I have with me." In retrospect I should have snagged one of my brothers shirts but I figured who cares. There are 2 law schools in my city (PGH) and people wear stuff from them all the time, no one says anything. I wear a shirt from an irrelevant ACC school that most people stare at me blankly for mentioning and all the sudden everyone has beef.

The only comment I would expect in Pittsburgh is: "UVA, huh? Are you going to try to transfer to Duquesne next year?" :lol:

I wear my ASW freebie to the gym. No one has said anything (as far as I know - I rock the ipod armband). Hell, people here probably don't even know what U-V-A means.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:I thought as I put the shirt on "this is gonna make me look like a level-7 toolbag, but it is the only clean shirt I have with me." In retrospect I should have snagged one of my brothers shirts but I figured who cares. There are 2 law schools in my city (PGH) and people wear stuff from them all the time, no one says anything. I wear a shirt from an irrelevant ACC school that most people stare at me blankly for mentioning and all the sudden everyone has beef.

The only comment I would expect in Pittsburgh is: "UVA, huh? Are you going to try to transfer to Duquesne next year?" :lol:

I wear my ASW freebie to the gym. No one has said anything (as far as I know - I rock the ipod armband). Hell, people here probably don't even know what U-V-A means.

Yeah it seems people here are in the dark on UVA being a real school. It also loses a lot of cache if you have to say "it's a top 10 school, actually. Hm? No, it's not in the Big Ten." The alternative is an in-the-know comment about Thomas Jefferson. I do prefer that though. C
est la vie though, huh?

And pseudonyms, where are you? I live in Oakland so if you're in the neighborhood we should grab a beer. I also work downtown, if you work there too we could do lunch. Feel like I keep bumping into you on TLS.

HJO

Postby HJO » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm

I really just wear my UVA law stuff around the house or to the gym. I did however run out to get some groceries in the UVA Law shirt from ASW and I ran into like 3 people at the store who asked me what I was doing next year :oops: and I had to tell them I was going to Law School, they asked where, and I said Virginia while wearing a Virginia Law shirt (This is in Nebraska), I felt like the biggest douche bag ever. I got a plain virginia sweatshirt for x-mas and i dont feel bad about wearing it around to-and-fro, no one has asked me anything about it.

Also, as to people being in the dark on UVA just you know...being a school, I have gotten asked probably 10+ times, "So why Virginia?" These aren't duke trolls, its more or less like "Don't we have a Law School in Nebraska?"

slider

Postby slider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 pm

HJO wrote:
Also, as to people being in the dark on UVA just you know...being a school, I have gotten asked probably 10+ times, "So why Virginia?" These aren't duke trolls, its more or less like "Don't we have a Law School in Nebraska?"

I've gotten "Why didn't you go to Duke?" Or my personal favorite "why didn't you go to Georgetown?" incessantly. I'm running out of crafty ways to explain that Virginia rocks.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:53 pm

I'm from WA, and when I tell people there I'm going to UVA Law, their typical reaction is "oh, did you get rejected from UW?" If you want lay prestige, go to Georgetown. But if you want actual prestige, then go to UVA.

howcani111

Postby howcani111 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 pm

fuck prestige. I'm going to uva b/c it's UVA :P

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Cavalier wrote:I'm from WA, and when I tell people there I'm going to UVA Law, their typical reaction is "oh, did you get rejected from UW?" If you want lay prestige, go to Georgetown. But if you want actual prestige, then go to UVA.

So true. I'm in Seattle now and I get that all the time at work. I work with this one lady who is the type of person who no matter what you are talking about, she says something to one up you. So when I finally went public with the fact that I was leaving to go to law school, she informed me that her brother is a lawyer and he went to Gonzaga. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to find that quite impressive.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:01 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
pilotgal wrote:
Cavalier wrote:I'm from WA, and when I tell people there I'm going to UVA Law, their typical reaction is "oh, did you get rejected from UW?" If you want lay prestige, go to Georgetown. But if you want actual prestige, then go to UVA.

So true. I'm in Seattle now and I get that all the time at work. I work with this one lady who is the type of person who no matter what you are talking about, she says something to one up you. So when I finally went public with the fact that I was leaving to go to law school, she informed me that her brother is a lawyer and he went to Gonzaga. I'm pretty sure I was supposed to find that quite impressive.

They do have a better basketball team....

That's because UVA hired a coach from Washington State University.

jnorsky

Postby jnorsky » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:07 pm

Philo38 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

The go-to gift for me this year at Christmas was UVA law apparel. I Haven't had the guts to wear any of it yet. It just does seem rather . . . I don't know . . . boastful? I'd be more comfortable wearing UVA stuff, without the Law part. For some reason when I see people around here with Vanderbilt Law shirts, or sweatshirts, on it does annoy me a little. Perhaps I'm insane.

haha, F*** that, I can't believe I got into UVA law, and im gonna wear my shit wherever and whenever I want. Am I boasting? Depends....some people are mad impressed/think im a tool and some people dont know wtf UVA law is, so i guess 50% of the time im boasting.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:17 pm

In the spirit of hyper-trolling, I wear Berkeley Law gear exclusively when at the gym.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”