UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
hannah87

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby hannah87 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Best sushi place in Cville? :D

Ten? Definitely the best sushi/sake place afaik.

not going to UVA, but went to Ten when I visited and it was really good. Expensive, though!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:12 pm

Do we get the free itouch in the law school MBP bundle? If not, why not?

slider

Postby slider » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:25 pm

hannah87 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Best sushi place in Cville? :D

Ten? Definitely the best sushi/sake place afaik.

not going to UVA, but went to Ten when I visited and it was really good. Expensive, though!

The good ones usually are. :wink:

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:38 pm

D Brooks wrote:Do we get the free itouch in the law school MBP bundle? If not, why not?

Yes, you do.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:53 pm

D Brooks wrote:Do we get the free itouch in the law school MBP bundle? If not, why not?

Yes, but they're bringing out the iPhone 4 so the touch is surplusage.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:55 pm

Kohinoor wrote:

Yes, but they're bringing out the iPhone 4 so the touch is surplusage.

Had to look this up.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 pm

So according to SIS, I've completed the entrance counseling for my sub/unsub loans, but not my PLUS loan. But when I follow the link through SIS to the entrance counseling, I only access the exact same entrance survey as before (and I've tried running through it a second time to see if that worked but it hasn't). Anyone dealing with the same thing?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 am

oneforship wrote:So according to SIS, I've completed the entrance counseling for my sub/unsub loans, but not my PLUS loan. But when I follow the link through SIS to the entrance counseling, I only access the exact same entrance survey as before (and I've tried running through it a second time to see if that worked but it hasn't). Anyone dealing with the same thing?

1FS: I have the exact same survey as well. I'm going to call FinAid tomorrow to inquire. Also going to ask if I was really approved for the PLUS loans (as you'll see below, it said I was approved instantaneously).

Everyone: Don't forget to apply for the Direct PLUS loan through the FAFSA/Student.gov website that you are directed to when you click on the entrance counseling link. They have to do a credit check (and they do it through this portal after you fill out the app) before you're officially approved for the PLUS loan.

For me, it looks like I was approved as soon as I hit submit (I just filled out the form). I have basically no credit. I just got my own credit card that I've been paying about five months ago. Previously, I had a credit card connected to my parents account (maybe this helped my credit but I don't know). Also, I have no assets in my own name. Car and everything is under my dad's info.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:09 am

- Entrance Interview was completed on 05/11/2010.
If you say so SIS. I haven't even filled out my FAFSA yet.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:40 am

FeuerFrei wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
oneforship wrote:So according to SIS, I've completed the entrance counseling for my sub/unsub loans, but not my PLUS loan. But when I follow the link through SIS to the entrance counseling, I only access the exact same entrance survey as before (and I've tried running through it a second time to see if that worked but it hasn't). Anyone dealing with the same thing?

1FS: I have the exact same survey as well. I'm going to call FinAid tomorrow to inquire. Also going to ask if I was really approved for the PLUS loans (as you'll see below, it said I was approved instantaneously).

Everyone: Don't forget to apply for the Direct PLUS loan through the FAFSA/Student.gov website that you are directed to when you click on the entrance counseling link. They have to do a credit check (and they do it through this portal after you fill out the app) before you're officially approved for the PLUS loan.

For me, it looks like I was approved as soon as I hit submit (I just filled out the form). I have basically no credit. I just got my own credit card that I've been paying about five months ago. Previously, I had a credit card connected to my parents account (maybe this helped my credit but I don't know). Also, I have no assets in my own name. Car and everything is under my dad's info.

I just got my letter in the mail saying I was approved for GradPLUS after a credit check. My GradPLUS loan counseling still says incomplete though.

How long between submitted the application and you receiving the letter?

Vanessa583

Postby Vanessa583 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:05 am

FeuerFrei wrote:
D Brooks wrote:

I just got my letter in the mail saying I was approved for GradPLUS after a credit check. My GradPLUS loan counseling still says incomplete though.

So, I've completed the FAFSA entrance loan counseling, but SIS still says my counseling is incomplete. Am I missing something here, or does it just take awhile to update?

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 am

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vanessa583

Postby Vanessa583 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:03 am

FeuerFrei wrote:
D Brooks wrote:How long between submitted the application and you receiving the letter?

I submitted everything on 6/3 and got the letter on 6/12

Vanessa583 wrote: So, I've completed the FAFSA entrance loan counseling, but SIS still says my counseling is incomplete. Am I missing something here, or does it just take awhile to update?

My GradPLUS counseling still says incomplete as well.

All three of mine say incomplete, so I'm wondering about the Stafford Sub/UnSub Loan Entrance Counseling. Was there a turnaround after completion for this to show up on SIS, because I've completed it and have the confirmation receipt, but SIS still says incomplete. I've tried calling the Financial Aid Office, but keep getting voicemail.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:11 am

I just tried calling FinAid. I've called the office maybe five or six times since I was admitted in November and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been directed to voicemail. Is no one ever in that office?

slider

Postby slider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:19 am

FeuerFrei wrote:

Did you go through the extra step of applying for the Plus Loan? It is a separate process than the federal loans in the studentloans.gov site.

After you apply for the Plus Loan it should say something like this on the studentloans.gov site:

Congratulations your application for a Direct PLUS award has been approved.
Your application has been forwarded to the schools you selected.
Last edited by slider on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vanessa583

Postby Vanessa583 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:28 am

slider wrote:
FeuerFrei wrote:
D Brooks wrote:How long between submitted the application and you receiving the letter?

I submitted everything on 6/3 and got the letter on 6/12

Vanessa583 wrote: So, I've completed the FAFSA entrance loan counseling, but SIS still says my counseling is incomplete. Am I missing something here, or does it just take awhile to update?

Did you go through the extra step of applying for the Plus Loan? It is a separate process than the federal loans in the studentloans.gov site.

I went through the extra step of applying for the Plus Loan and I did the entrance counseling for all three loans, and all three still say incomplete on SIS and I've signed the MPN as well. I'm not concerned about the PLUS loan, since it seems that a lot of other people are having that problem, but I am concerned about the Stafford Subsidized and Unsubsidized loans, since it seems that upon completion of the entrance counseling everyone else's SIS entrance counseling has changed to complete.

Vanessa583

Postby Vanessa583 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:31 am

D Brooks wrote:I just tried calling FinAid. I've called the office maybe five or six times since I was admitted in November and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been directed to voicemail. Is no one ever in that office?

Apparently not. I've called like four times already today. No luck. I was going to assume that no one was answering b/c it was summer and perhaps the hours had changed...
Have your voicemails been answered?

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:52 am

Vanessa583 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:I just tried calling FinAid. I've called the office maybe five or six times since I was admitted in November and EVERY SINGLE TIME I've been directed to voicemail. Is no one ever in that office?

Apparently not. I've called like four times already today. No luck. I was going to assume that no one was answering b/c it was summer and perhaps the hours had changed...
Have your voicemails been answered?

In the past they have been answered. Not yet today.

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:22 pm

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:25 pm

slider wrote:

So everyone gets this notification and it's not indicative of being approved post-credit check?

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:31 pm

slider

Postby slider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:37 pm

D Brooks wrote:
slider wrote:

So everyone gets this notification and it's not indicative of being approved post-credit check?

Now I'm wondering the same thing.

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:43 pm

slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
slider wrote:

Now I'm wondering the same thing.

Yeah, I figured they did the credit check instantaneously (like stores do when you apply for a card) and it just takes a week or so for the letter because the govt is slow in general.

I'd have to assume that their credit standards would be more lenient than say, AMEX, but I don't want to have to annoy my parents by having to ask for them to co-sign in case I'm not approved.

CALL ME BACK FINAID!!!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:44 pm

Also, are anyone else's parents going to be with them/help them move in? :oops:

My parents and I just set a date (Aug 4) for the move to VA. We're going to do a mini-caravan.
Last edited by D Brooks on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”