UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
whattodo2008

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:55 pm

slider wrote:
D Brooks wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Okay, my mom wants to buy my laptop sometime pretty soon. Yay or nay on the UVa MBP bundle?

Only if you're ueber risk-averse, yay.

Almost sticker at UVA... I'm pretty much Matt Damon in Rounders.

I think the consensus was nay on the bundle unless it's a Mac.

I'm pissed that the 13-inch doesn't come with the I5 processor, but rather the Intel Core2 Duo.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:19 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:Driving down to C'Ville this weekend with my SO to try & convince him to move down there with me this fall.
Any suggestions of things to do/places to check out while we're there? It's hard to be convincing when I've only been there once myself! :wink:
To be fair, the most convincing strategies don't require you to actually be here.

Hahaha I actually laughed out loud at that one. Those "tactics" aside... what could make a non-UVA student fall in love with the town? I was thinking restaurant suggestions, maybe the name/location of a nice national park (love the outdoors), you know, something along those lines. :wink:

gladiator

Postby gladiator » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:37 pm

michstudent10 wrote:Driving down to C'Ville this weekend with my SO to try & convince him to move down there with me this fall.
Any suggestions of things to do/places to check out while we're there? It's hard to be convincing when I've only been there once myself! :wink:

UVA baseball is playing in the super regional Sat, Sun, and Mon if necessary against Oklahoma, winner goes to the College World Series, not sure if there are still tickets available.

As for restaurants, Maya, Continental Divide, and Michael's are good + all the expensive ones in the Downtown Mall which I generally find to be overrated and/or overpriced. For cheap food and bars, you can go pretty much anywhere on the Corner.

There's outdoorsy stuff to do but that's not really my area of Cville expertise.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:55 pm

michstudent10 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
To be fair, the most convincing strategies don't require you to actually be here.

Hahaha I actually laughed out loud at that one. Those "tactics" aside... what could make a non-UVA student fall in love with the town? I was thinking restaurant suggestions, maybe the name/location of a nice national park (love the outdoors), you know, something along those lines. :wink:

Downtown. I go there at least once a week now that I don't have class. Go after 5 so that the nice bars and stuff are open. Downtown at dusk = love. Blue Light Grille if you're fancy, South Street Brewery if you're not.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:17 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
michstudent10 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Downtown. I go there at least once a week now that I don't have class. Go after 5 so that the nice bars and stuff are open. Downtown at dusk = love. Blue Light Grille if you're fancy, South Street Brewery if you're not.

Continental Divide + Mas are the best two restaurants in Charlottesville . . . Shenandoah National Park is a must see if you don't mind paying; Blue Ridge Parkway is the just as beautiful free version (literally, when you get to the top of Afton, if you go South its free, if you go North you pay) . . . The lawn / Rotunda / Academical village is amazing (Monticello is a bit overrated) and if you want to go to one winery - Barboursville is the best winery in the region. [all this based on living in C'Ville for 6 out of the last 10 years]

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Following up on the laptop discussion on page 133, I found a deal I think is worth sharing. I'm still opting for the 13" MBP, as I'm more concerned with portability/durability and battery life, but for a light gamer on a budget (is there such a thing?) this seems like a nice setup.

Dell EPP - Studio 15 , Core i7-720QM, 1GB ATI graphics, 4GB DDR3 , 500GB HD, $899 ($771 off list)
A review of a similarly spec'ed set up
And another of the Studio 17
Complaints seem to include heat and noise form the keyboard and fan.

Those with more knowledge of computers than me, please feel free to comment.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:18 am

vamedic03 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:

Continental Divide + Mas are the best two restaurants in Charlottesville . . . Shenandoah National Park is a must see if you don't mind paying; Blue Ridge Parkway is the just as beautiful free version (literally, when you get to the top of Afton, if you go South its free, if you go North you pay) . . . The lawn / Rotunda / Academical village is amazing (Monticello is a bit overrated) and if you want to go to one winery - Barboursville is the best winery in the region. [all this based on living in C'Ville for 6 out of the last 10 years]

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll let you know how it goes!! I'm pretty excited to check the town out myself, I didn't get to do much exploring when I was there last time.

HJO

Postby HJO » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:29 am

I just got the e-mail explaining how to set up my UVA e-mail address, but I can't seem to find nor do I remember ever getting a student ID or computing ID. What e-mail were these sent in?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:42 am

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:48 am

I did part 1 of 3 for the FinAid entrance counseling. So loooooooong. Took me at least 45minutes, even though they said it'd only take 30min.

slider

Postby slider » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:54 am

HJO wrote:I just got the e-mail explaining how to set up my UVA e-mail address, but I can't seem to find nor do I remember ever getting a student ID or computing ID. What e-mail were these sent in?

Subject: UVA Law - IDs for Applying for Financial Aid
Date: January 28 (to me)

HTH

5ky

Postby 5ky » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm sure current UVA students already know this, but it might be helpful for the incoming 0Ls like me who are considering buying a Mac:

You can buy both Windows 7 and MS Office 2007 (ie the PC version) for 10 dollars each with your student ID. So for those of you who have/are buying a Mac and still want Windows capabilities, best wait until you get to campus to buy those things, because of the ridiculous discounts.

michstudent10

Postby michstudent10 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Best sushi place in Cville? :D

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:21 am

Nine weeks :?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:50 am

D Brooks wrote:Nine weeks :? :D
You'll look back so fondly.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:51 am

michstudent10 wrote:Best sushi place in Cville? :D

Ten? Definitely the best sushi/sake place afaik.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:41 am

If this has been answered before, please point me in the right direction, but I'm trying to figure out what computer to buy. Can I get everything I would want (i.e. test taking software, note taking programs) on a Mac, or will it make my life easier to buy a PC?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:03 am

alirod12 wrote:If this has been answered before, please point me in the right direction, but I'm trying to figure out what computer to buy. Can I get everything I would want (i.e. test taking software, note taking programs) on a Mac, or will it make my life easier to buy a PC?

Well, first, "test taking software" for UVA is Microsoft Word. You just write your exam answer in Word and upload a .doc file to the law school website when you're done. It's really that simple. Works the same on both PC and Mac, no special stuff required.

For note taking programs, there are several that are available for Mac. Microsoft OneNote isn't, but there are other programs (the Circus Ponies note-taking one seems popular). I just use Word itself to take notes with.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:23 am

Thanks Van. So good to know that I can stay with a mac. Thinking about a MBAir. Would I miss a cd-rom drive terribly?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:24 am

alirod12 wrote:Thanks Van. So good to know that I can stay with a mac. Thinking about a MBAir. Would I miss a cd-rom drive terribly?

The only time I've ever used the CD/DVD drive on my MBP has been to install Photoshop. Also, if you end up actually needing it, you can buy an external DVD drive to go with it, which just connects to the USB port.

I kind of wish at this point that I had gotten the Air.

alirod12

Postby alirod12 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:45 am

Has anyone on here researched dog parks in the area? Anyone interested in doggy playdates?

Vanessa583

Postby Vanessa583 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:10 pm

My dog would likely be down for playdates, though she can be a bit shy at first. Don't know about dog parks yet, though.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:14 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
alirod12 wrote:Thanks Van. So good to know that I can stay with a mac. Thinking about a MBAir. Would I miss a cd-rom drive terribly?

The only time I've ever used the CD/DVD drive on my MBP has been to install Photoshop. Also, if you end up actually needing it, you can buy an external DVD drive to go with it, which just connects to the USB port.

I kind of wish at this point that I had gotten the Air.

Is there any other format (read: a download) of Office or Windows 7 available from the bookstore?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:16 pm

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:52 pm

YCrevolution wrote:No, but you can download office online (as a trial), and then enter the key for the software CD you get from the bookstore.

Good idea. Workaround getting Office for $10 and not having to buy an optical drive (for those without one - i.e. MBAir)

Still planning on the MBP, but all the talk about the MBAir had me reconsidering for a minute.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”