UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
vanwinkle

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:21 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Care to expand on the local microbrew scene? I can be a bit of a beer snob so I love me some local microbrews and well-kept bottle shops. I'll certainly miss Pittsburgh because the beer scene is pretty great, especially considering PA's restricting liquor laws.

Mostly people drink Starr Hill. http://www.starrhill.com/

It comes in lots of flavors, it's brewed in Charlottesville, and it's not bad.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:09 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Talked to admissions yesterday and I'm in, pretty awesome. I sounded like an idiot on the phone cause I got back from madrid at 11 on Sunday, did some stuff, worked all day, felt like I got hit by a truck. Still, the director was really nice and a straight shooter for sure. I'm very excited to be joining you fine people.

Random spurious thoughts:

Football is gonna rebuild, by our 3L year they may be decent. It's also ACC football so...matters.

Basketball just got a new coach who recruited well this year and last. In a loaded ACC there will always be tons of solid BBall games. I also prefer BBall to football, the tournament trumps everything. Hopefully Bennet leads us to said tournament.

Anyone wanna get in on the ground floor of a UVA-TLS fantasy football league? Figured people could PM me, first 11 or so are in the league. We could get together between moving in and starting classes, grab a case of beer, have a draft. Be a nice get to know each other before classes start. I'm sure too, given the nature of the average law school kid, it will be hyper-competitive. There will also be no end to the bad legal pun team names. Think it over. We could wager on the league to keep it interesting. A few bucks, a round of beers come season end, a golden TLS-UVA traveling trophy in the form of a gavel for the winner to keep and gloat over? Perhaps Ken would want to interview the champion for the site so 0Ls could know what it takes to succeed in the 1st year of law school (fantasy football league).

Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

I'll search the thread more closely later, but roommates are something I'm up for. I'd like to live in Ivy or at least close to the law school. Here's what I bring to the table:

Xbox 360
solid taste in music
Seldom around
Don't smoke or do any illegal drugs

I think I'm visiting with some family in December because my mother has an old high school friend in the area and I haven't seen the school yet. I'm in London until December 12th, then home, so I'll probably visit between Xmas and New Years.

Yes, TLS-UVA fantasy football needs to happen.

I'm in on this fantasy league.

lawdowne

Postby lawdowne » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Accepted Today! See Everyone Soon!

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 pm

monkey on your back

Postby monkey on your back » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:48 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

People drink almost nothing but Yuengling around here. It's either Yuengling or local microbrew.

Care to expand on the local microbrew scene? I can be a bit of a beer snob so I love me some local microbrews and well-kept bottle shops. I'll certainly miss Pittsburgh because the beer scene is pretty great, especially considering PA's restricting liquor laws.

There's also the South Street Brewery in downtown Cville. It's a brewpub, so if you're just looking for bottles you may be out of luck, but it's definately worth a visit (I think its even better than Starr Hill, and the porter's amazing). The Wine Warehouse on 29 has the best selection of bottles, but that gets expensive, and Cville's a great place for homebrewers if that's something you've ever thought about getting into.

Wi11iam

Postby Wi11iam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:39 pm

In this afternoon!

Look forward to meeting everyone!

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:41 pm

Wi11iam wrote:In this afternoon!

Look forward to meeting everyone!

Congratulations!

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:56 pm

How does one go about playing on more than one softball team?

I'm in my last year of college baseball and love sports and would love to play as much as possible.

Yea, i guess I'm a bit of a softball gunner :?

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:28 pm

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:36 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:How does one go about playing on more than one softball team?

I'm in my last year of college baseball and love sports and would love to play as much as possible.

Congrats to Wi11iam!

Your 1L section will have a softball team. You can also join/found a co-rec or a macho league team (somewhat different rules than co-rec, this is usually for people who are actually at least decent at softball).

Thanks, I'll definitely be playing as much as I can to maintain my sanity.

Wi11iam

Postby Wi11iam » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the 'grats!

I just want to say that shownprove was a huge help in getting me here.

Still amazed that I'll be studying here next year. Can't wait!

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:23 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:How does one go about playing on more than one softball team?

Where do you go to UG?

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:43 pm

oneforship wrote:

Where do you go to UG?

Samford University, I'm a pitcher. What Ivy did you play for and what position?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:47 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
oneforship wrote:

Where do you go to UG?

I see you scouted my LSN. :D

I played mostly middle infield at Dartmouth, but 3B my senior year.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:50 pm

oneforship wrote:
jawsthegreat wrote:
oneforship wrote:

Where do you go to UG?

I see you scouted my LSN. :D

I played mostly middle infield at Dartmouth, but 3B my senior year.

Yup sure did, you should come to UVA so we can dominate softball.

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:50 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Talked to admissions yesterday and I'm in, pretty awesome. I sounded like an idiot on the phone cause I got back from madrid at 11 on Sunday, did some stuff, worked all day, felt like I got hit by a truck. Still, the director was really nice and a straight shooter for sure. I'm very excited to be joining you fine people.

Random spurious thoughts:

Football is gonna rebuild, by our 3L year they may be decent. It's also ACC football so...matters.

Basketball just got a new coach who recruited well this year and last. In a loaded ACC there will always be tons of solid BBall games. I also prefer BBall to football, the tournament trumps everything. Hopefully Bennet leads us to said tournament.

Anyone wanna get in on the ground floor of a UVA-TLS fantasy football league? Figured people could PM me, first 11 or so are in the league. We could get together between moving in and starting classes, grab a case of beer, have a draft. Be a nice get to know each other before classes start. I'm sure too, given the nature of the average law school kid, it will be hyper-competitive. There will also be no end to the bad legal pun team names. Think it over. We could wager on the league to keep it interesting. A few bucks, a round of beers come season end, a golden TLS-UVA traveling trophy in the form of a gavel for the winner to keep and gloat over? Perhaps Ken would want to interview the champion for the site so 0Ls could know what it takes to succeed in the 1st year of law school (fantasy football league).

Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

I'll search the thread more closely later, but roommates are something I'm up for. I'd like to live in Ivy or at least close to the law school. Here's what I bring to the table:

Xbox 360
solid taste in music
Seldom around
Don't smoke or do any illegal drugs

I think I'm visiting with some family in December because my mother has an old high school friend in the area and I haven't seen the school yet. I'm in London until December 12th, then home, so I'll probably visit between Xmas and New Years.

The FF League is a great idea. Let me know if it happens.

Any Philly sports fans here? If I wanted to catch a Phils/Eagles/Flyers game next year, where would I be able to do this?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am

thepunisher24 wrote:Any Philly sports fans here? If I wanted to catch a Phils/Eagles/Flyers game next year, where would I be able to do this?

The local networks are geared around providing coverage of teams in DC, so you'll get to see the Eagles play on local TV at least twice a year when they play the Redskins. Of course, that also means most of the people in public places you go to are going to be Redskins fans...

Oddly there are also a lot of Pittsburgh fans here, too. I don't quite get that.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:31 am

+1 to the Pittsburgh fans. It's for a lot of reasons, one is because people born in Pittsburgh do not stay in Pittsburgh that often, it's not a great place for young people. High taxes in the city, so-so job prospects usually. It's one of the few cities in the country bleeding population a few percent a year. I mean I love it, but that is part of the reason. Also, people love to hop on the bandwagon and the Steelers have more rings than anyone so why not.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:45 am

vanwinkle wrote:
thepunisher24 wrote:Any Philly sports fans here? If I wanted to catch a Phils/Eagles/Flyers game next year, where would I be able to do this?

The local networks are geared around providing coverage of teams in DC, so you'll get to see the Eagles play on local TV at least twice a year when they play the Redskins. Of course, that also means most of the people in public places you go to are going to be Redskins fans...

Oddly there are also a lot of Pittsburgh fans here, too. I don't quite get that.

Sweet. Lifelong Steelers fan here. I'm hoping there'll be a contingent to watch some games with wherever I wind up.

rsr28

Postby rsr28 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:18 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
1wontdo wrote:Housing Question: Do any law students live further away from the law school, like Grady, Preston, JPA? Or is that area totally dominated by undergrads?

I know several law students living on Preston, but they're almost all 2Ls and 3Ls. The thing people seem to advocate (and I agree with this) is that it's important to live close to campus for your 1L year, and then after you get comfortable with your academic burdens and get to know the city better, you can decide where else you'd want to live.

Traffic between here and JPA is a goddamn nightmare. If it's morning rush, evening rush, an event going on for either football or basketball, or a concert at JPJ, the intersection of Emmet and Ivy/University is just plain hosed. You're going through 7 or 8 light cycles just to get through it, minimum. You could take Copeley but traffic tends to build up along it too as a reliever to Emmet, or because it's another way in/out of the football stadium.

As a 1L, I'm going through enough stress living within walking distance. I'd shoot myself if I had to put up with that traffic on the way to and from the law school every day right now too.

I have to say, this is a GROSS overstatement of the traffic situation. I have been through the Ivy/Emmett light right in the hours prior to a football game and it does not take "7-8 light cycles". On an average Thursday of Friday at 5:30pm or so, it takes MAYBE five minutes to get through that light. And that is at the worst possible traffic time. Going through campus on Alderman is fine - at rush hour it takes maybe 2-3 extra minutes for me to get all the way down Copeley & Alderman.

pilotgal

Postby pilotgal » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 am

I found out I'm in. I'm excited! Congrats to everyone else on your acceptances.

I saw on an earlier post that someone mentioned setting up a thread for housing/roommates. Was it set up? Anyone have the link? I have two Siberian Huskies so I'd like to find a house with a yard and a dog savvy roommate. (I know, that might be a lot to ask.) Anyone know how hard it is to find fenced yards? From what's posted on Craigslist, it doesn't look like fenced yards are very common in Charlottesville.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:48 am

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:27 am

monkey on your back wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Do they have Yuengling in the Virginia?

People drink almost nothing but Yuengling around here. It's either Yuengling or local microbrew.

Care to expand on the local microbrew scene? I can be a bit of a beer snob so I love me some local microbrews and well-kept bottle shops. I'll certainly miss Pittsburgh because the beer scene is pretty great, especially considering PA's restricting liquor laws.

There's also the South Street Brewery in downtown Cville. It's a brewpub, so if you're just looking for bottles you may be out of luck, but it's definately worth a visit (I think its even better than Starr Hill, and the porter's amazing). The Wine Warehouse on 29 has the best selection of bottles, but that gets expensive, and Cville's a great place for homebrewers if that's something you've ever thought about getting into.

So there is a local homebrew shop? This is something I was worried about. Or do I have to convert to online ordering?

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:26 pm

got my RD acceptance yesterday! maybe i'll be seeing y'all in the fall.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:27 pm

virginiagirl55 wrote:got my RD acceptance yesterday! maybe i'll be seeing y'all in the fall.

Congrats!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”