UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
joeshmo39

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:14 pm

Philo38 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.

For those of us who don't know about computers . . .

Are you saying there is a difference between <a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html" title="Linkification: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html">http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html</a> and the 13in Macbook Pro in the UG bundle? Or are you saying that the Macbook Pro is using last gen's technology in general?

Sorry, I'm not great with pronouns. My reference was to the Lenovo laptop which had a Core 2 Duo in it, which is last generation intel processing technology. The newer processors go by i3/i5/i7. The link you posted also has a Mac with a core 2 duo, still a fairly fast processor, but probably showing its age. Regardless, if you are gonna type and listen to music on that laptop it will be fine. You don't buy Mac's for the hardware really so it's not a huge concern. So if Mac is using Core 2 Duo's its older but not a major issue.

Philo38

Postby Philo38 » Fri May 21, 2010 6:20 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.

For those of us who don't know about computers . . .

Are you saying there is a difference between <a class="linkification-ext" href="http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html" title="Linkification: http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html">http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html</a> and the 13in Macbook Pro in the UG bundle? Or are you saying that the Macbook Pro is using last gen's technology in general?

Sorry, I'm not great with pronouns. My reference was to the Lenovo laptop which had a Core 2 Duo in it, which is last generation intel processing technology. The newer processors go by i3/i5/i7. The link you posted also has a Mac with a core 2 duo, still a fairly fast processor, but probably showing its age. Regardless, if you are gonna type and listen to music on that laptop it will be fine. You don't buy Mac's for the hardware really so it's not a huge concern. So if Mac is using Core 2 Duo's its older but not a major issue.

Ah, alright. I'm with you now, thanks.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 21, 2010 6:51 pm

If anyone is still looking for a place to live, I've decided to move for next year and my condo is going to become available in early August. It's a 1BR at Arlington Court, just a block from the law school. I could put folks who are interested in touch with the landlord if there's anyone still looking. I don't know if she'll change the rent for the next tenant but I'm paying just under $700/mo. right now.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri May 21, 2010 8:50 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If anyone is still looking for a place to live, I've decided to move for next year and my condo is going to become available in early August. It's a 1BR at Arlington Court, just a block from the law school. I could put folks who are interested in touch with the landlord if there's anyone still looking. I don't know if she'll change the rent for the next tenant but I'm paying just under $700/mo. right now.

Robbie Hart (as portrayed by Adam Sandler) in The Wedding Singer wrote:Things that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!

5ky

Postby 5ky » Fri May 21, 2010 10:51 pm

vanwinkle wrote:If anyone is still looking for a place to live, I've decided to move for next year and my condo is going to become available in early August. It's a 1BR at Arlington Court, just a block from the law school. I could put folks who are interested in touch with the landlord if there's anyone still looking. I don't know if she'll change the rent for the next tenant but I'm paying just under $700/mo. right now.

Haha yes, I love how you so casually mention this offhandedly. But now, I'm in Ivy now. Can't do the whole living by myself thing..too lonely.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Fri May 21, 2010 11:00 pm

5ky wrote:Haha yes, I love how you so casually mention this offhandedly. But now, I'm in Ivy now. Can't do the whole living by myself thing..too lonely.

I didn't know for sure I was moving out until today. :P

In any case, it sounds like I've found a potential taker already.

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Sat May 22, 2010 3:35 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
Grad Centre represent.

Grad Centre here! Woot! Woot!

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat May 22, 2010 3:44 pm

aznflyingpanda wrote:
whattodo2008 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:How many people plan on buying mattresses when we get there?

Does anyone think we might be able to band together and get a group discount somewhere? Cuz if there are a few big sellers in the area (ie, there's competition), I think it will be worth our time to talk.

I needs mattress. Moving around Aug 1.

I need one, will be there around like Aug 5th.

Gah, I take it back. I was looking around some mattress places this morning, and the logistics are annoying enough if I shop just for my own set; coordinating with others would make this nightmarish. Sorry.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun May 23, 2010 2:14 pm

so whats the next step in financial aid? Just accepted my amount of loans, since UVA is a direct lender now will they contact us about scheduling counseling and disbursement?

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun May 23, 2010 5:58 pm

I cannot wait to quit my job and move to C'ville. I don't care how hard LS is, it's going to feel like a breath of fresh air.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sun May 23, 2010 5:59 pm

@dgouzoul...

D Brooks wrote:Also, I emailed the FinAid Office about what we should be doing to secure our loans etc and this is what transpired:

D Brooks]I have accepted the loans that I wish to for the upcoming academic year. I am curious as to what my next step is in securing the loans and making sure they are applied to my tuition with the remainder being deposited in my bank account. With UVa participating in the direct federal lending program this year, will I have to secure a third-party lender for my GradPlus loans? Additionally, on the SIS website, it says that loan disbursements will be made on August 16. Is that still accurate? Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.[/quote]

[quote="UVA FinAid wrote:
Our Director, Jennifer Hulvey, will be sending out an email communication that will provide you with some further instructions regarding securing your loans. All of your direct loans, (stafford sub, unsub and gradplus) will go through the Dept. of Education/U.S. Treasury as your lender. The federal regulations stipulate when the loan funds may begin to be disbursed to the University. You should plan on your loan proceeds being available to the University for crediting to your term account based upon the information on SIS. You should plan on having personal funds available to you for the month of August and early September pending receipt of any refund you might be anticipating. Refunds typically are generated once classes are in session. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Best regards.

Might have been obvious to most but should be helpful for those who have never gotten loans before and/or and unfamiliar with how the direct lending program will work.
Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Sun May 23, 2010 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dgouzoul

Postby dgouzoul » Sun May 23, 2010 6:09 pm

why thank you

slider

Postby slider » Sun May 23, 2010 7:58 pm

oneforship wrote:I cannot wait to quit my job and move to C'ville. I don't care how hard LS is, it's going to feel like a breath of fresh air.

+1,000,000 !!!

D Brooks

Postby D Brooks » Sun May 23, 2010 9:27 pm

oneforship wrote:I don't care how hard LS is, it's going to feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'm just as excited as you are but also equally nervous. :|

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Sun May 23, 2010 10:44 pm

D Brooks wrote:
oneforship wrote:I don't care how hard LS is, it's going to feel like a breath of fresh air.

I'm just as excited as you are but also equally nervous. :|

I feel the same way. Though, it still feels weird going into a system where we train together ultimately to compete against each other. I can't help but think this is how gladiators felt back in the day. Yes, that's right. I just compared us to gladiators: "He vows to endure to be burned, to be bound, to be beaten, and to be killed by the sword [pen]." I think it's fitting.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 23, 2010 10:51 pm

jdavid901 wrote:[I feel the same way. Though, it still feels weird going into a system where we train together ultimately to compete against each other. I can't help but think this is how gladiators felt back in the day. Yes, that's right. I just compared us to gladiators: "He vows to endure to be burned, to be bound, to be beaten, and to be killed by the sword [pen]." I think it's fitting.

And like gladiators, you will abide by an unwritten code of honor and not speak ill (or well) of your intertwined fates. You will train as friends, and those who breach the peace by celebrating the adversity will have a sword thrust into their back and have their body tossed into the street.

Well, not really. But you will be subject to more hostility, sneering, and rejection than an entire season of Gossip Girl. Just so you know.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
jdavid901 wrote:[I feel the same way. Though, it still feels weird going into a system where we train together ultimately to compete against each other. I can't help but think this is how gladiators felt back in the day. Yes, that's right. I just compared us to gladiators: "He vows to endure to be burned, to be bound, to be beaten, and to be killed by the sword [pen]." I think it's fitting.

And like gladiators, you will abide by an unwritten code of honor and not speak ill (or well) of your intertwined fates. You will train as friends, and those who breach the peace by celebrating the adversity will have a sword thrust into their back and have their body tossed into the street.

Well, not really. But you will be subject to more hostility, sneering, and rejection than an entire season of Gossip Girl. Just so you know.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sun May 23, 2010 10:56 pm

oneforship wrote:ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

Every time I hear that line now I think of this (from after that trainer died):

--ImageRemoved--

jdavid901

Postby jdavid901 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
oneforship wrote:ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED???

Every time I hear that line now I think of this (from after that trainer died):

--ImageRemoved--

DAMN YOU SHAMU!! DAMN YOU!

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Mon May 24, 2010 4:27 pm

How difficult is it to find parking near the law school?
I noticed quite a few complexes listed a 10 minute drive but 40 minutes if you had to take public transportation.

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:35 pm

sccjnthn wrote:How difficult is it to find parking near the law school?
I noticed quite a few complexes listed a 10 minute drive but 40 minutes if you had to take public transportation.

I went to the April ASW and it was mentioned by a few current students how awful the parking was. Look for permits in the blut lot, I think that is where law students can get them. I noticed a lot of the stuff around the school was metered.

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Mon May 24, 2010 7:17 pm

It's my understanding that parking in Charlottesville sucks in general, almost everywhere.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon May 24, 2010 8:33 pm

sccjnthn wrote:How difficult is it to find parking near the law school?

You should be able to park in the Blue Lot or not get a parking pass and do the Arlington/Harris Teeter lot GAMBLE.

hokie09

Postby hokie09 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 am

Any of you still need a roommate? I'm going to be a 2L and my housing just fell through....2 days ago.

Paratiel

Postby Paratiel » Tue May 25, 2010 2:20 pm

hokie09 wrote:Any of you still need a roommate? I'm going to be a 2L and my housing just fell through....2 days ago.

Hi, Hokie.

My roommate plans also fell through a couple days ago; she decided to attend another law school. I have a two-bedroom unfurnished apartment at the Jeffersonian. Rent will amount to about $390/month/person (excluding electricity, TV and phone.) http://www.jeffersonianapartments.com.

If you are interested, send me a PM.

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”