UVA Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Wed May 19, 2010 11:35 pm

Do we have to pay the ~1k health insurance fee if we are going to be getting insurance through one of our parent's employers?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 pm

..

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Wed May 19, 2010 11:39 pm

Also, I emailed the FinAid Office about what we should be doing to secure our loans etc and this is what transpired:

D Brooks]I have accepted the loans that I wish to for the upcoming academic year. I am curious as to what my next step is in securing the loans and making sure they are applied to my tuition with the remainder being deposited in my bank account. With UVa participating in the direct federal lending program this year, will I have to secure a third-party lender for my GradPlus loans? Additionally, on the SIS website, it says that loan disbursements will be made on August 16. Is that still accurate? Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.[/quote]

[quote="UVA FinAid wrote:
Our Director, Jennifer Hulvey, will be sending out an email communication that will provide you with some further instructions regarding securing your loans. All of your direct loans, (stafford sub, unsub and gradplus) will go through the Dept. of Education/U.S. Treasury as your lender. The federal regulations stipulate when the loan funds may begin to be disbursed to the University. You should plan on your loan proceeds being available to the University for crediting to your term account based upon the information on SIS. You should plan on having personal funds available to you for the month of August and early September pending receipt of any refund you might be anticipating. Refunds typically are generated once classes are in session. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Best regards.


Might have been obvious to most but should be helpful for those who have never gotten loans before and/or and unfamiliar with how the direct lending program will work.

User avatar
D Brooks
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby D Brooks » Wed May 19, 2010 11:41 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Do we have to pay the ~1k health insurance fee if we are going to be getting insurance through one of our parent's employers?

No. You will want to provide proof of insurance coverage (if only so that they have your insurance info on file) when you submit your health forms. It'd usually be a photocopy of your insurance card.


Cool, thanks.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:16 pm

Undergrad computer deals up now, seem pretty fantastic.
http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com

$1359 for the 13 inch macbook pro with the service, option of loaner, and 3 year applecare . . . seems far better than the other bundles we have seen unless there is something I'm missing.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby thesealocust » Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 pm

oops
Last edited by thesealocust on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:36 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Philo38 wrote:Undergrad computer deals up now, seem pretty fantastic.
http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com

$1359 for the 13 inch macbook pro with the service, option of loaner, and 3 year applecare . . . seems far better than the other bundles we have seen unless there is something I'm missing.


Urf. I spent a long time trying to prove that UVA's computer bundles were horrible deals last year. (Also, I don't see any law bundles currently posted??)

My guess is this year will be like last year:

If macs are your thing, the mac bundle may be worth it. The PC bundle will not even approach 'worth it'. In either case, you can get two nearly identical and in some respects slightly superior Lenovo T400-esque computers for the price of one of the law student bundles. I made a helpful infographic to that effect last summer ;D


Sorry, what is Urf? sometimes this acronyms get ahead of me . . .

Yeah, I think the Macbook Pro bundle is like exactly the same price as if you buy it from Apple without the software and Cav computers service thing so seems like a win/win. If the Law bundle isn't as good of a deal I wonder if we can get the undergrad bundle . . .

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19664
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby dailygrind » Thu May 20, 2010 11:40 pm

How many people plan on buying mattresses when we get there?

Does anyone think we might be able to band together and get a group discount somewhere? Cuz if there are a few big sellers in the area (ie, there's competition), I think it will be worth our time to talk.

whattodo2008
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:29 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby whattodo2008 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:58 pm

dailygrind wrote:How many people plan on buying mattresses when we get there?

Does anyone think we might be able to band together and get a group discount somewhere? Cuz if there are a few big sellers in the area (ie, there's competition), I think it will be worth our time to talk.


I needs mattress. Moving around Aug 1.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby flyingpanda » Fri May 21, 2010 1:03 am

whattodo2008 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:How many people plan on buying mattresses when we get there?

Does anyone think we might be able to band together and get a group discount somewhere? Cuz if there are a few big sellers in the area (ie, there's competition), I think it will be worth our time to talk.


I needs mattress. Moving around Aug 1.


I need one, will be there around like Aug 5th.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:45 am

Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Fri May 21, 2010 9:26 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.


I do not think this year's bundles have come out yet. http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/ It says mid-may for law school bundles but no dice yet. The darden bundles have i5's and 4Gb of DDR3 RAM in them so they don't seem too outdated.

Also, I emailed them and they say the law school bundles will hopefully be ready by the end of next week. Said things got delayed for whatever reason

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 am

Doritos wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.


I do not think this year's bundles have come out yet. http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/ It says mid-may for law school bundles but no dice yet. The darden bundles have i5's and 4Gb of DDR3 RAM in them so they don't seem too outdated.

Also, I emailed them and they say the law school bundles will hopefully be ready by the end of next week. Said things got delayed for whatever reason


I was referring to the undergrad bundles; I doubt we will see significantly different bundles. They may have some more options but I'm sure it will be pretty similar across the board. Build quality is always an issue, but look how much computer you can get for 800 bucks: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362520,00.asp
That has an i5, blu-ray drive, and a decent graphics card. It's half the price of similarly specced computers in the UG bundle. Just don't see the extras being worth it.

Also, I'm going to get an external and bring my desktop to school so we can use it as a torrent box (for totally legal stuff attained legally, like gutenberg press books) and hook it up to windows media center and the 360 in the living room. Should be good times. Now I just need to find a laptop that isn't lame. The journey begins.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 21, 2010 9:57 am

..

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 am

Always a catch isn't there? I think I will probably end up buying an Asus. I have this compaq that is broken, which I plan on fixing, I just need to make sure the spendthrift in me then ditches it and buys a new laptop. Compaq stuff has generally been garbage and I know it will self-destruct during finals week. I'm fine for now with my ancient desktop I build in High school (2.6 GHZ Pentium D - the worst generation of procesors in recent memory. Testing reveals it is, in fact, two Pentium 4s duct taped together).

I also might throw a new MoBo and processor in my desktop for law school, just to have something. Probably not a great investment but I'll see. Thing has a solid power supply, HD, and graphics card still. I can even re-use the case I think, just need to think about the guts.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Doritos » Fri May 21, 2010 10:12 am

joeshmo39 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.


I do not think this year's bundles have come out yet. http://www.uvastudentcomputers.com/ It says mid-may for law school bundles but no dice yet. The darden bundles have i5's and 4Gb of DDR3 RAM in them so they don't seem too outdated.

Also, I emailed them and they say the law school bundles will hopefully be ready by the end of next week. Said things got delayed for whatever reason


I was referring to the undergrad bundles; I doubt we will see significantly different bundles. They may have some more options but I'm sure it will be pretty similar across the board. Build quality is always an issue, but look how much computer you can get for 800 bucks: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362520,00.asp
That has an i5, blu-ray drive, and a decent graphics card. It's half the price of similarly specced computers in the UG bundle. Just don't see the extras being worth it.

Also, I'm going to get an external and bring my desktop to school so we can use it as a torrent box (for totally legal stuff attained legally, like gutenberg press books) and hook it up to windows media center and the 360 in the living room. Should be good times. Now I just need to find a laptop that isn't lame. The journey begins.


lol @ gutenberg. For sure you can get more horsepower for a cheaper price...just a cursory glance at new egg yields some really powerful machines...http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory ... der=RATING One lenovo for $1,000 (aka a stack) has i7, 4Gb RAM, 1 GB Geforce GT240. No warranty except manufacturer though. I got a behemoth of a laptop as a high school graduation gift that cost $1700 that I had custom built. Too bad the screen went kaput after a year so i was SOL.

So for me at least I need a comprehensive extended warranty on my laptop which usually puts one back $300 or so. So you have to factor that into the equation. The bundle may be $1500 but a nice chunk of that is warranty. I am not trying to troll for cavalier computers just sayin'. I have a pretty decent desktop (i7 920 overclock @ 3.8, 6GB DDR3, Geforce GTX 260) so I just need a laptop to type papers, research, and play Street Fighter ROMS in class.


Oh and Mr. Schmo. I highly highly recommend the i7 920's!!! Get one of those with an x58 board...gaming/computing heaven. I got it overclocked with the standard fan going 3.770 GHz on all four cores. As I type this it is 36 degrees Celsius under the hood. Throw in some liquid cooling or a high quality heatsink and many are able to clock it a goodly amount over 4GHz.

User avatar
joeshmo39
Posts: 533
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:20 am

Yeah I hear you, the failure rate on laptops is so high. Not xbox 360 level high, but high. I should probably get a square trade warranty or something. Maybe I'll upgrade my computer too and then we can link them together and compute rocket trajectories. I'm also planning on rocking the two-filing-cabinets-and-a-door style desk. Aight folks, everyone back to work.

User avatar
Philo38
Posts: 344
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:21 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby Philo38 » Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:Those computer bundles are extremely expensive. 1499 for a computer with a C2D in it? That is last gen's technology, you gotta be joking. The warranty is good but you have got to hit your computer with a hammer at least twice a day for that to pay off in the end. I think there is some etc. stuff, maybe surge protectors, but who doesn't have 15 of them sitting in a closet? Seriously, we should stay away from these bundles.


For those of us who don't know about computers . . .

Are you saying there is a difference between http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-13inch.html and the 13in Macbook Pro in the UG bundle? Or are you saying that the Macbook Pro is using last gen's technology in general?

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Fri May 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Second deposit in last week, got my lease signed today, moving in on August 3!

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 21, 2010 4:30 pm

..

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby oneforship » Fri May 21, 2010 4:32 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Second deposit in last week, got my lease signed today, moving in on August 3!

Ivy?


Arlington Park Townhomes.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm

..

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby joemoviebuff » Fri May 21, 2010 4:38 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
oneforship wrote:Second deposit in last week, got my lease signed today, moving in on August 3!

Ivy?


Arlington Park Townhomes.

Nice, you'll be on the street where all the cool kids are. Let me know if you need help moving in.


Grad Centre represent.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby YCrevolution » Fri May 21, 2010 4:39 pm

..

FeuerFrei
Posts: 196
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:32 am

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri May 21, 2010 6:12 pm

.
Last edited by FeuerFrei on Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests